• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

a DECADE on SportsHoopla - April 2013

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have unexpectedly met another milestone. Back in the year 2013, in the month of April, without warning, the CBS Message Board was shut down for good. The MBBRL took refuge here.

Over 1000 pages have been written, yet page 1 post 1 was inaugurated on April 21, 2013. Many of our profiles date back to April 2013.

Now perhaps our elementary school math skills will say that this is only 9 years ago. However, since we did have a 2013 fantasy season here on “the Hoop,” that would mean that 2022 marks the tenth fantasy season.

A DECADE.

Sadly, we lost some comrades during the migration from CBS that year. Over the years that followed, oblivion and other factors resulted in more losses. Some may be missed more than others perhaps, but they all will be a part of our legacy. That said, on the cusp of our deca-season, I wanted to share some of my favorite or more memorable posts in that span of time.

Naturally, it is imperative that I start with The Golden Mountain Saga. This was posted in 3 iconic stories which poked fun at the grandiose, bold and unsubstantiated fantasy claims of our buddy “The Foot.” As a preamble to this saga and to get a glimpse of the type of character that made him unique, legend has it that The Foot was quoted as saying, “I may have taught you all you know, but I haven't taught you all I know." Inspiration was thus born. Here is the complete GMS trilogy:

Golden Mountain Logo MBBRL.png

The Golden Mountain Saga

Part 1 authored and inspired by wilwhite

Ah, yes, I remember - we were just a rag-tag bunch of young good-for-nothings united by the common call... let us brave the elements and try to reach the monastery, in the clouded and awe-inspiring heights of the Golden Mountain, there - if worthy - to spend years sleeping on stone floors and eating nothing but wild grass, to bend our whole being into the singular pursuit of knowledge, to be permitted to kneel at the throne of The Foot and hear his terrible and mystifying koans. I remember young Lefty daring to say, "But Master, is it not better to have a mighty QB whose path is known, and who will surely score more points?" and Foot fixing his milky gaze upon the trembling Lefty and saying, "Your words betray everything you have still not understood, young acolyte. Is not one handful of oats lost in the recesses of an abandoned farmhouse worth more than a thousand sacks of gold in your grasp?"

And after these many years, we are still blind, o Foot, blind to your brilliance, and uncomprehending of your rankings.

Part 2 - the saga continues authored by leftypower.

And it came to pass, that young Lefty, stunned by the sharp words, descended from the Golden Mountain, where Master Foot sits upon his throne amusing himself with delusions of grandeur. It was along the forbidden trail, that a bewildered Lefty came upon 10 great men who were governors, each of their own fantasy kingdoms. After much discussion and sharing of thoughts, they asked him to join them in an alliance of knowledge, one to be known far and wide as Keepers of the Flame. Among the great men were; Wil of White, Sam of Sports, Fuzzy of Yellow, Doug of Beer, Dub of Cheese, Scape of Goat. There was also a well-bread and learned commoner, known simply as Joe the Average who knew of all things mathematical in the fantasy world.

During their quest for greater knowledge, the 11 came upon 4 learned Barbarians who were seeking safe haven on the Golden Mountain. They are known as; Ram the Tuff, Hawk the Prophet, Smoker of Monkeys, and Dog of Strange Avatar. The 11 were taken aback by the opinions and thoughts of the 4, and made offer for them to join in their quest.

The 11 and 4 then wondered through internet valleys, printed words, and the teaching of rival Masters. They came to stay with the Masters known as Dave & Jamey, Rotoworld, Yoda (John of Paulsen), Bruno of Boys, and several others, in a secret cave near the base of the mountain. It was there that they drank spirits, ate, and discussed all things fantasy for 40 days and 40 nights in secret rituals. It is believed that the meetings went unbeknown to Master Foot, as he was performing his own ritual writing “I am a fantasy God - I know all and see all” over and over for the same 40 days and nights.

Having learned many things during their stay with the rival Masters, the 11 and 4 went forth to assemble their armies for battle. On the day of reckoning, the 11 and 4 did assembled great armies, using the knowledge of the rival Masters and their new forged alliance. Lo, Master Foot was not impressed as the 11 allowed Sir Joe of Flacco to join his allegiance in the 2nd round, and Journeyman Ryan of Tannehill later on the same day. But alas, Master Foot was blinded by his own glow, and could not see that although the two possess golden arms, there was no one worthy to receive their gifts.

It then came to pass, on the 5th day of the 9th month, the 11 began their assent to the top of the Golden Mountain. The 4 went on to wage their own battle with other barbarians seeking to ascend from the low lands to a rocky cliff on the mountain. The 11 fought long and hard among themselves in preparation for the given week when they would be face to face with Master Foot. 12 epic battles raged on different fronts for 16 full weeks, and then peace settled over the lands for a brief period. Master Foot was conquered and banished from the mountain.

It is said, the once proud Master Foot has been seen in tattered "I am the greatest" clothing, making effort to lord over Barbarians in a desert far south of the majestic Golden Mountain. His kingdom has since dwindled to a few family members and several local podiatrists. Episode IV - The End.

Part 3 - The Fall of the CBS Message Board plagiarized by averagejoe

Banishment. The destruction of all things CBS left thousands, if not hundreds, without a source of comfort and all things fantasy. The 11 and 4 were suddenly scattered throughout cyberspace, forbidden from assembling together. Thus, there was much sadness.

Wil of White and the commoner Joe of Average engaged on quest to unite the 11 and 4. Using extrasensory perception of Nee, or ESPN, our mighty yet humble band of heroes attempted to join forces once more. But the destruction of all things CBS had a profound effect on ESPN.

Meanwhile the Proud Master Foot was not-so secretly at work building a Death Star, known only as “MWHS.” A narcissistic lair that would enable him to control unsuspecting fantasy apprentices that approached. He would lure them with promises of games and accuracy. All of Master Foot’s plans were orchestrated through his top henchmen, known only has CJ1K and MJD the Lisfranc. If only Journeyman Ryan of Tannehill was as accurate. But I digress, since many a henchman have fallen at the tyrannical reign of Master Foot – the suddenly unwanted Joe of Flacco and Beast Hillis to name two.

Weeks, if not days, had passed and the 11 and 4 were suffering the effects of non-fantasy discussions and camaraderie. There was much sadness.

When suddenly, Wil of White was drawn to the golden glow emanating from the SportsHoopla of Sports. Using his natural ability of superior reasoning and all things organized, Sir Wil then summoned Joe of Average to assemble the Keepers of the Flame in the shadow of the MWHS Death Star.

And so it came to pass that in the Fourth month on the twenty-first day, the 11 and 4 began to return from their banishment. Sam of Sports, Fuzzy of Yellow, Doug of Beer, Dub of Cheese, Scape of Goat. Alas, some of our heroes are still unaccounted for, such as Hawk the Prophet and Dog of Strange Avatar. Thus, there was much sadness.

However the strong Treff of Lost Avi was bitter over the banishment due to what he had lost, and solemnly vowed to the remnant of the 11 and 4 that he would execute vengeance. And Treff of Lost Avi did so vow in extreme profanities to excess.

end

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other favorites from the last decade include the following. There are some side projects that I posted on the board during the fantasy off-seasons. Even if it seems mildly narcissist, I really liked doing them:

The 2018 Suicide Draft spoof of the iconic Star Wars scrolling intro.

The 2019 Suicide Draft spoof of Monty Python’s Holy Grail movie intro.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when we also used to try to predict the MBBRL weekly winners and losers, the TIE that was predicted in the 2014 season.

Treff Bandit Predicted Tie.png

And then in 2018, we had some fun and had our first and only Sitcom Character Draft. And in MBBRL style, of course there were rules on who or what to draft:

Sitcom Draft from 2018.png

Last edited:

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank goodness we have a historian for the wonderfulness that was our coming together to create something very unique and special. I must say that the merging of minds and spirits has lead to many, many very fond memories dating back to the inception on CBS. I have learned much over the years, not only about fantasy football from each of you, but the person behind the avatar bestowing that knowledge.
Alas, the Golden Mountain Saga will forever hold a special place in my mind and heart. ...... Joe is correct, we did lose some valuable peeps during the transition, and they are missed, but others have come to offer new ideas and insight.
BTW - let's not forget another milestone from that group curtesy of Foot, as in; My Wife Hates Sundays (MWHS). Yes it was ultimately an epic failure, but the concept was ahead of it's time and certainly would have prospered had we been able to pull it off. ....
Anyway, here's to another 10 .... :suds: fellas.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - let's not forget another milestone from that group curtesy of Foot, as in; My Wife Hates Sundays (MWHS).....an epic failure, but the concept was ahead of it's time

Oddly enough, my wife brought this up a few months ago, asked whatever happened to that website we tried to start, lol

Fantasy content site that hosts mini-games during the season was a fairly novel concept in 2012

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MWHS-..One of the very few MBBRL type thing I didn't participate in.

Foot was probably right, a weekly thing where we are almost at each other's throats over God knows what, might have gotten views. But, I just couldn't stomach the idea of going in on anything with him

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Foot was probably right, a weekly thing where we are almost at each other's throats over God knows what, might have gotten views. But, I just couldn't stomach the idea of going in on anything with him
Well, it ended up being a typical 'Footish' thing. ... lacked the needed follow-through on his part. I felt we were pretty close - really liked the football stadium/'expert' selection tool. But alas it came crumbing down

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oddly enough, my wife brought this up a few months ago, asked whatever happened to that website we tried to start, lol

Fantasy content site that hosts mini-games during the season was a fairly novel concept in 2012
That's funny, she must have a very good memory - - mine does her best to ignore all things fantasy related - - only at the end of the season does she even ask how I did - and that is only applied to $$ leagues. .....

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ya i think it might have caused your head to spin

Barilko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's funny, she must have a very good memory - - mine does her best to ignore all things fantasy related - - only at the end of the season does she even ask how I did - and that is only applied to $$ leagues. .....
1649001444896.png

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: MWHS
After writing some content for Fantrax and then for the now-closed Fantasy Assembly, the idea of actually getting paid to write my opinions on MWHS did get my hopes up. Like the saying goes, "don't quit your day job." Would have been pretty cool to work from home, do something I enjoy doing, and get paid for it.

Alas, poor Foot, both the creator and breaker of dreams.

Barilko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: MWHS
After writing some content for Fantrax and then for the now-closed Fantasy Assembly, the idea of actually getting paid to write my opinions on MWHS did get my hopes up. Like the saying goes, "don't quit your day job." Would have been pretty cool to work from home, do something I enjoy doing, and get paid for it.

Alas, poor Foot, both the creator and breaker of dreams.
Joe I know if i had a mag or site i would certainly hire you ahead of many a clown that i have read...

as i always like to say better than Average Joe

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of old recaps. I miss doing recaps.

Week 10 Recap/MNF Showdowns...

"Put up your Dukes... not that Duke, this Duke"

Leading off with the game of the week because... well, you know why.

Tlance cuts Chef - 164.4 to 119.7
Well, well, well. Aren't we all glad T had a tough September? There's nothing left to say about Zeke and the #1 pick... except maybe "Wow". Can you blame anyone (Chef) for not believing in Mariota magic? Surging to 4-6.
Chef finally gets rid of the perfect monkey... now down to business. Only would have lost to three teams this week due to some excellent waiver fishing, so nothing to hang his head over. Le and De will be back next week together again. Plummets to 9-1.

Treff rolls Joe - 149.4 to 112.4
Treff is kickin' back in Colorado with his Blounts, and Ajayis... must be nice. This train is in full gear now, hasn't stopped since I believe a 2-4 pit stop. A strong roster says there's lots of juice left. Choo choo to 6-4.
Story of Joe's season, put up top five points and play someone in the top four. Bell's breakout was expected, but Rivers was careless. Not much you can do when your opponent is scoring a buck-fifty. Stalls at 4-6.

MNF Showdowns

Face leading Fuzzy - 129.8 to 51.6
Dougies are back! A long awaited return for Martin and an appearance from Baldwin make Face a powerhouse when Ben and Brown go off, which is usually the case. A second half run is absolutely in the Cards. Looking up from 3-6.
Fuzzy hit a wall this week... the Seahawks pass defense. When Brady gets 11 it's rough sleddin'. One of the few who is kicking himself this week for turning down a cheap Mathews price... although, it would still be a steep hill tonight. As is, he needs 78.3 from Jennings and Eifert. Ready to drop from 3-6.

Bandit leading Lefty - 96.8 to 35.4
Son had a nice week capped off by "fantasy good" Rodgers and old man Larry. A great move benching Olsen didn't lead to much, but was still the right decision. Strong team burdened by the "which WR do I start" each week. Holding at 5-4.
Dad had a naughty week capped off by a wrong Packer decision...which he's aware of so we'll leave it at that. He had enough of Gurley, and Gurley did his thing...not much. So we'll see if Gio pays off, as he and Eli still have a hail mary, needing 61.5 to ground his son. Hoping at 5-4.

TKO leading Ram - 84.1 to 62.4
Another zero from Coates! I am pathetic. Luckily, Drew and David are not. Rudolph finds double digits and the Rams didn't make me hate myself even more, after my wonderful idea to drop Mathews before his best game of the season. Hill and Perkins to finish tonight trying to sustain a 21.7 lead. Stands at 5-4.
Ram has more important things on his mind. Congrats on the baby! Unfortunately, the only present he received was from Jordy Nelson. Maybe the Bengals have one in the mail? Sits at 3-6

SP leading Milk - 83.1 to 73.3
The Pride takes his lead into Monday with a struggling week. ARob on the bench may haunt him, but he gets the pick up of the week trophy with the Bucs nearly popping a 30 burger! Green has a 98 yard lead for some breathing room. Wild carding at 6-3.
Milk comes in with a beat up back field, and left the same. A Hyde return, sort of, a Howard exit. This is the that Duke I was referring, as seeing a 3 since Thursday does not help in staying sane. Now he needs his ODB, OBJ, or whichever one plays better. Staying afloat at 3-6.

Happy Monday,

Help, Bills!

HALLOWEEK RECAP ... brought to you by unpopular request, a TKO production... (a little cheesy, but here it goes)

ATHOS DIVISION, brought to you by Friday the 13th (a killer on the loose!)

7-1 Steelers PRide in the role of Jason, as in he just won't die! Just when you thought you had him, he comes back. The fear his lineup emits just from his opponents seeing it up close is palpable! A deadly WR duo of Evans and Green, and a healthy group of RB led by Gordon (thanks OBX!) wreak havoc upon anyone who dares to enter Camp Crystal Lake.

5-3 Tlance in the role of the hot chicks, some die some survive. The beauty to behold upon gazing, just like those gratuitous nude scenes. Sadly, also like such scenes, seem to come and go too quickly and there just never seems to be quite enough. And yes, Zeke's possible death scene may seem too much to overcome, maybe Ajayi's new uniform can help out. The QB-WR combo of Watson-Hopkins sure will.

4-4 TKO in the role of the nerd, not "getting any", has no real reason to actually be in the movie other than maybe diversity, doesn't do anything to save anyone, and usually ends up dead in the quickest, most anti-climatic way, or with a Gronk-like thud, with barely a Shady scene to have any suspenseful effect on the audience.

4-4 Face in the role of that lone inhabitant somewhere in the woods. Not really a star of the movie for the entirety (0-3 in division), but quite possibly the hero at the end, just going along being steady. You can see the talent behind the actor. Stars waiting to come out of the Brown depths to return from Wentz he shone.

PORTHOS DIVISON, brought to you by Scream (strange circumstances you can only shake your head in jest)

4-4 Trudem in the role of Sidney Prescott. Not always pretty, but finds a way to stay alive. Not only knows how to survive most of the time at home, but the lone survivor after a meeting with SP. Loads of talent that hasn't really lived up to the hype, looks to a strong second half of Freeman and Thomas leading the way.

4-4 Milk in the role for Courtney Cox. A hot lookin' lineup, but sometimes settles for less. A fantastic set of..... pass catchers named Julio and Kelce and a Gurley ass making everything nice! Can looks overcome all else? Is this the real star of the movie?

2-6 Treff in the role of Dewey the Cop. Just a punch in the face right off the bat with the loss of pick 1.1, along with TyMo "losing" the job for the one-two punch. Never seems to be out of it though, mixing and matching his way through a tough five week stretch. Will he rebound and get the girl? KB will have to wait and see if the Kupp is half empty or half full.

1-7 Joe in the roll of "the guy under the mask". Frightening! Six down in a row after a 1-0 start. Just can't seem to dodge the table, or duck the refrigerator door swing to make the kill. Sure, there may be some victims, as his knives in the cupboard are sharp.

ARAMIS DIVISION, brought to you by Saw (Royal Rumble, every man for himself)

5-3 OBX in the role of Jigsaw. Enigmatic mastermind unleashing the death trap known as the Fournette, once it is upon you, there is nowhere to hide. Is his master plan Kearsed after moving Gordon, or will he have the last laugh? Will his new Pittsburgh loves complete the transformation after discount double-check, or will end up on life support?

4-4 Ram in the role of "The Reverse Bear Trap". The Hunt is on, the lock is in place, if the WR don't pass the test by the Bell, this will Ertz like a mutha! Will he prosper with Gold, or suffer in Shepard's rags? Only a Keen mind can answer. One right move and this team can explode!

4-4 Fuzzy in the role of the "The Razor Box". After getting the poison of Rawls in another SP trade (what's with this division?) ;) , the antidote right in front of you, is there a way out of this without tearing your forearms to pieces? Looks like three rookie runners catching the right Brees is the key.

4-4 Bandit in the role of Amanda. A tale of two characters... a victim? A killer? An 0-4 start, a 4-0 rebound...what is in store for this third chapter? Lots of Cooks in the kitchen, can this puzzle be put together correctly to become the new mastermind? Only time will tell.

......yes, cheesy indeed.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when we also used to try to predict the MBBRL weekly winners and losers, the TIE that was predicted in the 2014 season.

View attachment 293050

And then in 2018, we had some fun and had our first and only Sitcom Character Draft. And in MBBRL style, of course there were rules on who or what to draft:

View attachment 293051

Probably a little too much fun doing that…

Golden Towers"

Elaine Benes (F-1)... is out of prison and has decided to leave Manhattan behind. She moves into a small apartment complex, Golden Towers, located in Brooklyn. It even has a nice little diner, where she instantly meets someone with a need for a freelance editor. Although, somewhat intimidated, her experience with pushy bosses cannot be exaggerated and she graciously accepts after the happenstance encounter.

Claire Hanks (Flex)... is that someone needing a new editor, starting her new career as a legal biographer. After leaving her husband (for reasons unknown), she is looking for someone with experience, but doesn't want to be beholden to bigger firms. While her stern approach scares Elaine, luckily, their symbiotic fate begins in the diner when they order the same lunch, and notice they both have the same disappointment while eating. (yes, I had to google Claire's maiden name)

Stanley Roper (M-1)... it didn't work out with Helen, so he left the west coast for cooler pastures. Unfortunately, he realized he wasn't prepared for independence on the little things in life. Ironically meeting his sarcastic soul mate and they hit it off. They get married and he opens Golden Towers to continue his landlordish life. He's never known the grumpiness about to engulf him when winter arrives. With no Helen or Jack to take out his frustrations on, he may be in for more than he bargained.

Dorothy Petrillo-Roper (F-2)... that's right! After making her way back home to Brooklyn, she was only lacking in companionship...and maybe a little conflict. It didn't take long after she met her soul's counterpart at the airport. They fight over a cab until they reluctantly decide to share it. Little did they know, they'd be sharing an apartment soon thereafter. And let's face it, Dorothy is certainly used to vocalizing disgust when saying the name, "Stanley"...wanting to avoid the name was denial.

Alex P. Keaton (Child)... okay, so we must suspend disbelief a little, as Alex takes a summer internship with his grandfather's sister, Dorothy. Attracted to "Golden" Towers, Alex is disappointed in the "less than golden" attributes. However, his love for real estate and money leads him to believe this is a test, and he can fix this place up for better profit (to the chagrin of Mr. Roper), and he stays in Brooklyn to finish high school (keeping him closer to his real prize...Manhattan).

Debra Whelan (Flex)... she had enough of in-laws and squabbles, and left her housewife house life to open her own diner... Deb's Diner located in Golden Towers, where she now lives. She may have lost some of the stress she has carried for a long time, but her cooking could still use an upgrade. Has passive aggressive insults followed her to Brooklyn? Can she handled it? (yup, had to google that maiden name too)

Geoffrey Butler (M-2)... also taking his west coast to the Atlantic, Geoffrey quickly lands the job of handyman/janitor at Golden Towers. His snarky attitude fits right in, as he wonders if his sanity will remain, surrounded by likewise sarcasm, and grumpy old men. And what's wrong with a little skirt chasing of the new lawyer-writer in the halls?

Frank Costanza (Flex)... leaving Queens behind, Frank has set out on his own and life brought him to Golden Towers. A nice, small apartment across from a talkative doorman with whom he can spend his days arguing. Likely, the most targeted and certainly most aggravated victim of a pesky mouse who loves to terrorize. Can he keep his serenity?

Chief Wiggum (Flex)... shunned from the Springfield Precinct, he moved, and self demoted to a security guard/doorman at Golden Towers. While guests, tenants, and perspective tenants have a hard time getting passed his unwillingness to shut up, he is quite harmless. Unfortunately for Frank, the mouse also knows that and always gets the better of him. Doesn't stop his relentless pursuit to someday find justice.

Itchy the Mouse (Non-Human)... Itchy has left the world of murder, and settled into petty theft and pranks. Living in the walls of Golden Towers, never did he have so many victims.

:yo:

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foot was a mythical creature...had I not experienced it, and someone was telling me about him, I would not buy he ever existed
Almost like 1 of early episodes of The Office where Jim has a party in his apartment and invites Dwight to prove to his roommate that the stories are true and that he does really exist.

@TKOSpikes - Anytime you want resume the weekly write-ups... especially when inspiration or a theme strikes...
:thumb:

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost like 1 of early episodes of The Office where Jim has a party in his apartment and invites Dwight to prove to his roommate that the stories are true and that he does really exist.

@TKOSpikes - Anytime you want resume the weekly write-ups... especially when inspiration or a theme strikes...
:thumb:
That's the exact thing that was in my head as I wrote that post