• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dave Matthews Band New(ish) Lineup

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I used to be a pretty big fan, but around the release Stand Up, I started to lose interest. I think it's because my musical interests were expanding pretty rapidly into jazz at that time, and I also witnessed a few seedy encounters at DMB shows that probably facilitated my disconnection from that scene.

So I have a cursory knowledge of Stand Up, and practically nothing of subsequent albums.

In July and August, Sirius/XM has been running a Dave Matthews Band Channel where they're playing the band's studio works, other artists that have influenced the band members (Sly, Wayne Shorter, Tool, Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley), live cuts from the band's past and, most enjoyably for me, full live concerts from their current tour.

Since I stopped following the band, their line up has changed quite a bit. LeRoi Moore (sax) passed away, and they brought in Jeff Coffin to play sax, added Rashawn Ross on trumpet, and Buddy Strong on keys. Tim Reynolds, who was always more of a stunt guitarist for the band, seems to be taking a much more active roll in the band. Boyd Tinsley, the violinist was shitcanned right before the start of this tour, when news broke of him continually sexually harassing a dude despite being married to a broad.

After I heard about Tinsley, I wanted to tune into the station to hear what they'd sound like without a somewhat-defining violin presence in the band. I have to say, I really like their live sound now much better than what it used to be. It's a much more sophisticated sound I feel. I thought the violin would be missed, but with the addition of the trumpet and keys, I didn't miss it at all.

I'm not saying that losing the violin is what made the band sound better, because those other pieces were there before it was gone, I'm just saying I don't miss it and if I were them, I wouldn't look for a replacement - I'd just keep his share of the cabbage.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea why I took the time to write all that shit.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the takeaway is, I really dig their new sound, and I'll be sad when the Sirius/XM station shuts down later this month.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also like to get a handle on why so many people hate DMB, so if you're in that camp, speak up.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also like to get a handle on why so many people hate DMB, so if you're in that camp, speak up.

I would rather throw up for the equivalent amount of time of listening to one of their albums.

His voice makes my bones itch. All their shit sounds the same, and inevitably, if one of their songs is on for more than 30 seconds, some wannabe hippie, who is really a frat boy will appear out of a cloud of smoke and ask for gas money and a cigarette.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather throw up for the equivalent amount of time of listening to one of their albums.

His voice makes my bones itch. All their shit sounds the same, and inevitably, if one of their songs is on for more than 30 seconds, some wannabe hippie, who is really a frat boy will appear out of a cloud of smoke and ask for gas money and a cigarette.

Fair enough.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No hate. Just ambivalent. Some of their songs are ok, but nothing ever really grabbed me. Give me a couple of tunes that might change my mind. I'll check them out later tonight when my state of mind is more receptive, so to speak.

I've paid very little attention to current popular music for roughly 20 years, so my opinions about it aren't very informed.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understood, but being that I shave my balls, facilitating that hair growth would be counter productive.
giphy.gif

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lolz

I've found that there is a very real inverse relationship between the amount of hair on my balls and the amount of time a woman will spend sucking them.
married 17 years bruh...I look like I'm on Bob Ross's shoulders, and tWife could give a BJ while sorting laundry. lulz

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
married 17 years bruh...I look like I'm on Bob Ross's shoulders, and tWife could give a BJ while sorting laundry. lulz

Yeah, I've been married 13 years, but some old habits die hard.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never actually heard a song by them, but from my understanding, Beardown's write-up

if one of their songs is on for more than 30 seconds, some wannabe hippie, who is really a frat boy will appear out of a cloud of smoke and ask for gas money and a cigarette.

seems pretty accurate to me.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No hate. Just ambivalent. Some of their songs are ok, but nothing ever really grabbed me. Give me a couple of tunes that might change my mind. I'll check them out later tonight when my state of mind is more receptive, so to speak.

I've paid very little attention to current popular music for roughly 20 years, so my opinions about it aren't very informed.

I'll have to think about that. Give me five bands that you might consider your favorites.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sirius/XM has been running a Dave Matthews Band Channel where they're playing the band's studio works, other artists that have influenced the band members (Sly, Wayne Shorter, Tool, Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley)

Adding to the list of influences:

Pink Floyd
Talking Heads/David Byrne
Sting

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding to the list of influences:

Pink Floyd
Talking Heads/David Byrne
Sting

I like all 3 of them. I might flip the order of PF and TH, though. You cited Sly as an influence and I like them a lot. You also cited Wayne Shorter and I like Weather Report, though when it come to jazz, the old 40s-50s bebop is my "go to".