• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cuz accepts tag, won't seek other offers

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Jones...

A day after the Washington Redskins placed the franchise tag on Kirk Cousins, the quarterback’s agent said the player will accept the designation and will not seek other offers when NFL free agency opens next week. The franchise tag means Cousins will earn a salary of $19.95 million next season unless the sides work out a long-term contract.

Agent Mike McCartney announced the news Wednesday night via Twitter.

[The Redskins franchised Kirk Cousins. Now what?]

Cousins could have waited and allowed his agent to gauge his value with other teams because Washington used the nonexclusive franchise tag on him. If a team had signed him to an offer sheet that the Redskins declined to match, the team would have had to send two first-round picks to the Redskins as compensation.

But because of that hefty price, it wasn’t expected that such a team would step in.

Once the franchise deal is signed, Cousins will be under contract and permitted to take part in all offseason workouts and practices.

The Redskins and his agent can continue to negotiate toward a long-term deal. If they reach an agreement by July 15, the franchise tag would become void and Cousins would play under the new multi-year deal.

If Cousins and the Redskins do not reach an agreement, he will play on that one year, $19.95 million salary and become a free agent again next offseason

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Further evidence that KC has no interest in leaving, he just is looking to maximize his deal. He is going to let to market play out. Once a handful of FA QBs sign deals, it will become more clear where KC belongs in a long term deal. The overall dollar amount of the deal is not that important. What is important is the guaranteed portion over the life of the contract. It makes little difference if he gets an average of $16m or $20m a year. Since most of it will be back end loaded, he will most likely never play under the last couple of years of the deal. He will either be long gone or extended as the contract becomes too expensive.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Further evidence that KC has no interest in leaving, he just is looking to maximize his deal. He is going to let to market play out. Once a handful of FA QBs sign deals, it will become more clear where KC belongs in a long term deal. The overall dollar amount of the deal is not that important. What is important is the guaranteed portion over the life of the contract. It makes little difference if he gets an average of $16m or $20m a year. Since most of it will be back end loaded, he will most likely never play under the last couple of years of the deal. He will either be long gone or extended as the contract becomes too expensive.

Yep. The only way he would have likely left is if some team signed him to a big time, long term contract with lots of guaranteed money. Given Cousins' limited resume & the fact that this team would have also had to pony up 2 # 1 draft picks the odds of that happening were slim to none.

Like anyone else Cousins no doubt wants stability both in his professional and personal life. In that regard DC provides him with the best opportunity. This should also help fuel talks to get them to agree to a long term extension over the next several months. HTTR

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins absolutely have to draft a QB I just don't see him living up to expectations

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins absolutely have to draft a QB I just don't see him living up to expectations
Its quite likely they will in the later rounds. McCoy may not be back.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do so many people believe that? Huh?!

Because it is easy. People believe what they want to believe without evidence. Sometimes it is because they don't like the person, maybe they like a possible replacement, or maybe they are so used to being disappointed they have lost hope.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it is easy. People believe what they want to believe without evidence. Sometimes it is because they don't like the person, maybe they like a possible replacement, or maybe they are so used to being disappointed they have lost hope.

Are there still some RGIII supporters here, especially those that feel slighted because Cousins is doing well (outside of Sty)?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there still some RGIII supporters here, especially those that feel slighted because Cousins is doing well (outside of Sty)?

Not really on this site. However - any article on RG3 or Cousins (from Pro Football Talk, ESPN, etc) is littered with anti-Cousins & pro-RG3 comments. Many of these appear to be from anti-Redskins fans or fans who know very little about football.

A true Redskins fan cheers for whoever serves the team best & that would be Cousins for now. There is no guarantee that he will do as well next season & beyond, but he certainly gives them the best chance at QB & has a very good chance of continuing with his success.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really on this site. However - any article on RG3 or Cousins (from Pro Football Talk, ESPN, etc) is littered with anti-Cousins & pro-RG3 comments. Many of these appear to be from anti-Redskins fans or fans who know very little about football.

A true Redskins fan cheers for whoever serves the team best & that would be Cousins for now. There is no guarantee that he will do as well next season & beyond, but he certainly gives them the best chance at QB & has a very good chance of continuing with his success.

I slightly disagree. I do think we still have even on this sight some guys that are Pro RG3 and as such are somewhat Anti Cousins. Now I think they have come to accept the reality of the situation as it stands. I still think for the true diehard RG3 guys, the only thing Cousins can do to prove we made the right decision is to become elite. Short of that, some will quietly maintain that we made a mistake in giving up on Griffin.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I slightly disagree. I do think we still have even on this sight some guys that are Pro RG3 and as such are somewhat Anti Cousins. Now I think they have come to accept the reality of the situation as it stands. I still think for the true diehard RG3 guys, the only thing Cousins can do to prove we made the right decision is to become elite. Short of that, some will quietly maintain that we made a mistake in giving up on Griffin.

Umm - I would say that there are some here who are perhaps not totally sold on Cousins, but I really don't see any diehard RG3 fans here since Sty stop posting (hopefully he is doing alright). Certainly we don't see anywhere near the anti-Cousins venom that you see on those other sites (nor that you see in certain posts on the main board by a handful of morons).

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sty said he was taking the off season off . he will be back around draft time

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im not sure if this refers to me but Im kind of assuming it does lol. But idk what else I can do for ya man. Ive given Cousins his props for last year, Ive outright said I want him back, and Ive outright said I want RG3 gone. Im more hesitant about him than you and others but that comes from wanting the best for this team and not wanting to see it get burned (Yes, I understand the arguments you have for all of this, Im not trying to start another Cousins argument lol). But Idk what more you'd want from somebody.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm - I would say that there are some here who are perhaps not totally sold on Cousins, but I really don't see any diehard RG3 fans here since Sty stop posting (hopefully he is doing alright). Certainly we don't see anywhere near the anti-Cousins venom that you see on those other sites (nor that you see in certain posts on the main board by a handful of morons).

I clearly fall into not totally sold, but I think Ive been more than fair to him. Ive come a long way in my opinion of him (and deservedly so) as he does more and more and continues to develop. And Id love for nothing more than for him to be our Franchise QB - he's obviously a great guy who works really hard, is loved by teammates, and seems like the exact kind of guy you want to be your QB (hard worker, lots of time in the film room, always trying to improve). So Im not sure where the idea that people on here or me in particular have any problem with the guy - but then again this is the only Skins site I go to and from what you guys say, there are some nutty guys out there lol.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I clearly fall into not totally sold, but I think Ive been more than fair to him. Ive come a long way in my opinion of him (and deservedly so) as he does more and more and continues to develop. And Id love for nothing more than for him to be our Franchise QB - he's obviously a great guy who works really hard, is loved by teammates, and seems like the exact kind of guy you want to be your QB (hard worker, lots of time in the film room, always trying to improve). So Im not sure where the idea that people on here or me in particular have any problem with the guy - but then again this is the only Skins site I go to and from what you guys say, there are some nutty guys out there lol.
Dude, you've convinced me. I think KC came a long long way last year, but I can't say I am 100% convinced that he is past his early transgressions. I need to see him do it again this year. I don't mean that he has to play to the same level as he did those last 10 games (that was as good as it gets), but I need to see consistency and I expect him to be in the top 10 or 12 QBs in the league. But I will also say that I am very optimistic that he will. And that is because of how he did it. As you pointed out, he did it thru hard work and learning. Think about the first 3 years he was here. He was an after thought and got scrub time. When he did get a chance, he was inconsistent at best and folded under the pressure at worst. Many would have naturally become unsure and taken a step back. He didn't. He manned up. He hired a QB coach on his own dime and worked all off season. He paid Jon Gruden to also work with him. He understood that he was going to get another chance because he knew he was a better QB in this offense than Griffin was. Once training camp started, it was clear who worked hard in the offseason to improve their game. He fought much adversity and rose above it. I just admire the heck out of the guy.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you've convinced me. I think KC came a long long way last year, but I can't say I am 100% convinced that he is past his early transgressions. I need to see him do it again this year. I don't mean that he has to play to the same level as he did those last 10 games (that was as good as it gets), but I need to see consistency and I expect him to be in the top 10 or 12 QBs in the league. But I will also say that I am very optimistic that he will. And that is because of how he did it. As you pointed out, he did it thru hard work and learning. Think about the first 3 years he was here. He was an after thought and got scrub time. When he did get a chance, he was inconsistent at best and folded under the pressure at worst. Many would have naturally become unsure and taken a step back. He didn't. He manned up. He hired a QB coach on his own dime and worked all off season. He paid Jon Gruden to also work with him. He understood that he was going to get another chance because he knew he was a better QB in this offense than Griffin was. Once training camp started, it was clear who worked hard in the offseason to improve their game. He fought much adversity and rose above it. I just admire the heck out of the guy.

I would love to have listened to the call Jon made to Jay after Jon worked with KC.