• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd try and keep him into his upper 30's, so 6-7 years isn't unreasonable.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Tyler Bray turns into something good as time goes on. He has good coaching around him and you can't teach his arm.

As long as you're hoping, I would just hope that Smith works out. That is the quickest way to success and if he builds upon last year, it would also be the longest (noting that others are gambles). Going to a new guy, if Smith is producing, would just send you back. If Alex underachieves next year, then sure. But the hope is that he overachieves or at least achieves what he should.

I would then hope that you could get a good draft pick for Bray. I have heard that Bray has a strong arm and is going to take a lot of risks, however the rest I have learned about him hasn't been positive. And I'm not just talking about immaturity and doing dumb stuff. I'm also talking about learning, mobility, etc. I am an Alex Smith fan but I saw more in Colin Kaepernick than I do in Bray. He does have the right coach for coaching, but I think that Alex has shown enough that if he is the right system, he can produce. And if he has more talent around him, you guys can go far. I have already seen him make passes that he didn't attempt and San Francisco.

Reid is coaching the hesitancies out of Smith. Give him another year before you decide whether he is holding a spot or not. I know that is just opinion, but I don't feel that Smith is being a bridge, here. He is Reid's guy, and I believe it this time. They would have used their last seventh round draft pick for Bray to make sure that Miami didn't get him if they were that high. Obviously, they will coach him up.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, hopefully they don't need anyone but Smith for awhile, but like you said he could be like our Cousins or Mallett, maybe bringing back a pick somewhere at worst. At least his immaturity issues seem to be behind him, so it's now a matter of pure coaching.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, hopefully they don't need anyone but Smith for awhile, but like you said he could be like our Cousins or Mallett, maybe bringing back a pick somewhere at worst. At least his immaturity issues seem to be behind him, so it's now a matter of pure coaching.

For the record, I do believe his immaturity is gone. However, he just passed the easiest time for him to be mature. This off-season is the next test. The offseason before the draft, he was on his best behavior. After that, he had to prove that he wanted a spot. Then, in the season he's busy. And let's face it, it's pretty easy not to throw bottles out the balcony.

I do think that his best choice in hindsight would've been Miami. Ryan Tannehill is the same type of quarterback as Bray is and so therefore I think that he would fit that system better. Ryan Tannehill looked like he was going up last year and this year hit a wall. Heck, in hindsight, Atlanta looks good for him too. The reason I say that is because I feel that Matt Ryan has a lot of talent around him but isn't succeeding. And there are a lot of teams that have not made the playoffs that have talent. I think Bashford will be okay, but St. Louis is an option too. You can tell that I know that Bray has talent, but I think that Smith has more chance to keep the job.

If he just wanted to be a backup, there are a lot more other experiences too. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he wants to start somewhere. I think that he will beat Daniel this year.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, his talent level is well above Daniel, it's only a matter of time before he beats him out, maybe next year. Daniel is a decent backup himself.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is we will pick up a UDFA or a 6th round QB to fill the 3QB spot in the hopes Bray can outdo Chase. If it doesn't work out, oh well.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 2011, of passers with the least 400 attempts (this includes Foles and Geno Smith and other young people, but excludes those who come in throwing on fake punts, for example), he is:

2nd in INT% (8th in Total INTs)
4th in Win Percentage
10th in Completion Percentage
12th in Passer Rating
16th in Touchdowns (15th in TD%)
19th in Total Passing Yards
12th in Yards Per Attempt
32nd in Yards Per Game (32nd in Attempts Per Game)

Interesting note, Chad Henne would win 8 games out of 48 if he played the whole time. Blaine Gabbert would win nine. Everyone else is 15 or above.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you took 2012 and 2013, those numbers would be higher. If you take 2009-2013, the numbers would be lower. Regardless, he's always top 16. With Reid as the coach, I think the numbers would be closer to the 12th than the 16th. One thing to note is that while he will improve, so will other quarterbacks.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith with the game winning touchdown (Mike Tolbert 2-pt conversion). There were 4-5 flat out drops, of course. Only one of the drops were deeper than 10 yards (rest of them were short). His completions were mostly 7-13 yards with one or so on both ends. Only one of three interceptable throws were. The one caught was a 4-10 20 yarder to no one but the defender - glorified punt?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They ended up giving the award to the losing QB, despite the game winning drive by Smith, fitting. If anyone else, it should have gone to Mike Tolbert for the 2-pt conversion. I'll call it the game tying pass (PATs are automatic) by Smith and game winning run YAC by Murray and game winning 2-pt conversion by Tolbert.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should make you have to go for two after all TDs in the Pro-Bowl. You know, after they discontinue it. Just kidding, if Alex, maybe Weddle, or Steve Smith are in it, I'll watch.

Alex was 3-4 for 59 yards and a TD in the game winning drive. Most yards passing in the game, most TDs. Foles who gets almost sacked after dirting two passes on their last drive gets the MVP award. The recap goes out of the way to mention the Foles TD before the game winner. But then just says Murray catches a 20 yard TD and doesn't mention from who. Rodney Dangerfield, anyone?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should make you have to go for two after all TDs in the Pro-Bowl. You know, after they discontinue it. Just kidding, if Alex, maybe Weddle, or Steve Smith are in it, I'll watch.

Alex was 3-4 for 59 yards and a TD in the game winning drive. Most yards passing in the game, most TDs. Foles who gets almost sacked after dirting two passes on their last drive gets the MVP award. The recap goes out of the way to mention the Foles TD before the game winner. But then just says Murray catches a 20 yard TD and doesn't mention from who. Rodney Dangerfield, anyone?

:10:yep, pretty much. no one's gonna give this guy his respect...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the Pro Bowl is a joke and all, but I still think it's bullshit that they did not give the MVP to somebody who won the game. At the last minute. I think it's stupid. I wouldn't mind them giving it to Tolbert - he had the two point conversion and he converted a fourth-down fake punt. I wouldn't mind them giving it to DeMarco Murray - he did a lot of work to get into the end zone on the game-winning touchdown. I'm not saying it has to be Alex Smith or nothing. I just think it's stupid to give it to Foles when he played one series basically and had a great receiver catch in a tie game. Alex Smith had a game-winning drive when his team was trailing by seven.

I swear this is going to happen in the Super Bowl one year and that's good news. Charles will have 74 yards and will rush for the 1 yard touchdown after a 50 yard pass by Alex Smith to the 1 yard line. Give MVP to Charles despite Smith 329 yards and 3 TDs. I will mention it but not complain too much because that would be a Super Bowl victory.