• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As season has progressed, Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith has flourished

BY VAHE GREGORIAN, The Kansas City Star

Despite having once been the overall No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft, despite being an eight-year veteran when the Chiefs acquired him in the offseason, quarterback Alex Smith embraced his new job with the zeal of an anonymous auditioner.

Entrenched as he might have seemed, there were no assumptions or automatics for him, he’ll tell you, especially when he was learning a new system with new personnel for a new franchise.

“The difference between winning and losing and success and failure in this league is so small,” he said Wednesday, days after a 56-31 win at Oakland in which he became only the second Chief to rack up a perfect game in terms of passer rating. “It’s all those extra little things, all that time you put in, that makes that little difference.

“In the pass game, there’s so many details, there’s so many things that go into being good in the pass game. And when you have a lot of new faces, it takes a lot of work. It takes time.”

Time he literally was only too eager to expend.

“We have (NFL) rules and regulations in the offseason on how many hours you can stay in the building,” Chiefs coach Andy Reid said, smiling, as he set up a slightly inverted “Animal House” reference. “I had to kick him out so we didn’t get put on secret double probation before we ever got started.”

Particularly considering the Chiefs’ fickle receiving corps, it’s no wonder the actual start was marked by some muddy going for the offense and Smith, whose conservative play and modest statistics were damned with the faint praise of being dubbed a “game manager” even as the Chiefs screeched out to a 9-0 start.

And with reason, given how spectacular the defense was and how tepid the offense was.

It was easy from the outside to doubt Smith then.

In October, he went three straight games without throwing a touchdown pass, and there were some memorable balls that either were off-target, wobbly, short-armed or all of the above.

He either wouldn’t or couldn’t go downfield much, and it got to a point (at Tennessee and home against Oakland) where it seemed reasonable to suspect he was having some unacknowledged arm trouble.

On Wednesday, Smith chuckled at the question but didn’t dismiss the rationale.

“Nothing with my arm,” he said. “But I think when you’re making decisive decisions, and when you’re confident in the looks you’re getting and what we’re doing, as a quarterback you tend to be more accurate.”

In other words, now this:

Highlighted by Smith’s five touchdown passes and AFC player of the week Jamaal Charles’ five touchdowns at Oakland on Sunday, the Chiefs’ offense suddenly has produced 19 touchdowns in the last four games after it managed just 20 in the first 10.

And Smith has shown he can not only go downfield but that it’s a worthy element in his game, best demonstrated Saturday on the wheel route to Charles down the sideline for about half of what became a 71-yard score.

With more conviction in his tighter spirals, Smith has gone from a modest touchdown-to-interception ratio of 7:4 through the Chiefs’ first seven games to 16:2 in their last seven.

Out of nowhere, he’s established career highs of 23 touchdown passes and 3,160 passing yards … along with the career-best 384 rushing yards that has made for another of those little things that are shaping the Chiefs’ season.

“What’s more demoralizing than a third-and-9 when the quarterback runs for 12 yards?” guard Geoff Schwartz said. “Alex brings that to the table.”

All of which makes the Chiefs a really intriguing playoff team, one that has spent a sizable chunk of the season as the best defensive team in the league, much of it boasting the best special-teams units and for the last few weeks flirting with having one of the most explosive offenses (albeit abetted by playing the last two games against flimsy Washington and Oakland defenses).

Whether they can put it all together when it matters remains to be seen, but along with the spectacular Charles, Smith has become a key reason for that hope.

And for reasons that go beyond what we see on the field. Even before Smith’s numbers flourished, Reid gushed about his leadership.

Reid did again Wednesday, with what actually seemed like a gleam in his eye as he described the work ethic and dedication to preparation and all the “gigabytes” that were needed for Smith to absorb this offense.

All of that, Reid believes, makes his commitment contagious on both sides of the ball.

“There won’t be any shortcuts, definitely, when your quarterback spends the time like that, (because) we do have the right kind of guys on this team,” Reid said.

Those guys respond to other aspects of Smith, too, particularly his stability.

Reserve receiver A.J. Jenkins, who also played with Smith in San Francisco, said Smith’s upbeat and calm way sets a good vibe, one that says, “No moment’s too big for him.”

“He’s not a vocal yeller and screamer like you see some other quarterbacks. He just leads by being poised,” Schwartz said. “He makes other guys look good, and he does that by getting rid of the ball, finding his right reads, and sending us to where we’re supposed to go up front.”

If those sound like minor points, they are not small things in the collective picture.

“It does matter, because you want to be able to trust the quarterback,” Schwartz said. “He’s obviously the center of the offense, really, and if you don’t trust that guy, then in the back of your mind you’re not really sure how the play’s going to work.

“And I know we have the utmost confidence in Alex. It shows. It matters.”

Much of that was apparent to his teammates even before it was evident on the field in those first few months, when at times it seemed the Chiefs still were experimenting to determine their offensive identity.

“Yes, but not intentionally,” Smith said. “So many things are just new for the first time. … There’s only so many looks you can get in practice; a lot of that stuff has to be done in games. So you go through it in games, some good, some bad and you have to learn from it.”

Apparently, Smith and the Chiefs have, making their playoff prospects fascinating.

“It takes time to get in the rhythm,” Schwartz said, “and as you can see I think we’ve kind of hit a little stride here.”

As season has progressed, Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith has flourished - KansasCity.com

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith and Andy Reid, 2 throw aways meeting up and becoming super bowl contenders.

Good story

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,643.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great story. Smith has been having a great season

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully this is a start for many solid seasons for Smith in KC. It has felt like forever since Chiefs fans have been outside of the QB Maelstrom that is in the NFL. Some semblance of stability is nice to have for once; and for once, fans can't hide behind stoning the QB to shrug aside other issues on the team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am REAL happy to see Smith have success in KC. He is not a HOFer, but he is solid. He was just stuck with crappy, defensive-minded HC after crappy, defensive-minded HC in SF, and never had the same OC two years in a row.

Your loss this week was not on Smith. You just got rocked by injuries. Shit happens.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To extend now? Or wait another season and go from there?

Yes, but wait a little bit. I would wait until about draft time or at least after the playoffs. I don't think that it's a good thing to reward him while others are still playing. I think that the offseason is a good time, when no one is playing. But I do think it should be done before others can sign players. I think that if it's done right before then people will either think that he deserved it or at least that he's giving KC cap room. Also, if he is regarded high enough to sign, that means you think he can lead you to good things. If so, why not sign him before those good things happen? It's cheaper and won't be an issue later. If he's not your guy, you can still cut or trade him later.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They dont have a 2nd with the Smith trade.

He means SF gets the second rounder - a low second rounder but higher than a third.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but wait a little bit. I would wait until about draft time or at least after the playoffs. I don't think that it's a good thing to reward him while others are still playing. I think that the offseason is a good time, when no one is playing. But I do think it should be done before others can sign players. I think that if it's done right before then people will either think that he deserved it or at least that he's giving KC cap room. Also, if he is regarded high enough to sign, that means you think he can lead you to good things. If so, why not sign him before those good things happen? It's cheaper and won't be an issue later. If he's not your guy, you can still cut or trade him later.

About the lines of what I am thinking, I doubt we will be drafting below 18 for the next couple of years given what appears to be a new WC for each conference so I am about certain the Chiefs aren't getting a super QB prospect to try to replace Smith.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About the lines of what I am thinking, I doubt we will be drafting below 18 for the next couple of years given what appears to be a new WC for each conference so I am about certain the Chiefs aren't getting a super QB prospect to try to replace Smith.

The Niners did in the second round. So, all bets are off. However, this year I feel that they will extend him. And if they don't they have next year to keep them off the field. If Alex does not cement his job by this year and next year, then I won't feel as bad. If they decided to put in somebody else right now, I would feel bad. I really hope that he's not replaced due to injury this time. Kaepernick was great, Harbaugh drafted well, but I don't feel that that'll happen again if he is replaced when playing well. If Alex steps up his game next year, and they replace him, I feel that'll bite them in the butt. If he comes out and plays poorly or mediocre, obviously that's different.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is too small of a sample size and we didn't win, but Alex now has a 108.6 QB rating in the postseason career. He's 1-2, unfortunately, but hopefully next year he gets over the hump. Rodgers has a 103.6 in the postseason. Of course, I'm not comparing Smith to Rodgers, just giving you a reference. The record is 104.something. Not enough games and no SB wins, so not saying more than it was meant, just a FYI.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Tyler Bray turns into something good as time goes on. He has good coaching around him and you can't teach his arm.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not going to happen, but read the whole thing before reacting.

What I would wish for would be a 7 year contract that pays 8 million a year with incentives that go up to 14.3 total (14.3 M - 8 M), with zero guaranteed. (The first year would be basically guaranteed as long as he doesn't have a ski accident or a Manning-like trade to KC). When an incentive is met, instead of counting towards the cap, it would be shifted to guaranteed later. Hear me out!

The incentive would be marked as an incentive unlikely to be met. There are two types of incentives = likely (like snap count) and unlikely (like SB victories). Unlikely incentives do not count towards the cap that year. If he meets them, I'd be happy for that to count somewhere later. They wouldn't accumulate.

So if he were to meet all the required incentive marks, biggest for SB win, second for SB appearance, etc., the following year would be 8 (base) + 6.28 (guaranteed). Cutting him then would be 6.28 M and no base, but if he won the SB, it would be unlikely for him to be cut. Then, if he repeated, it would be the same the next year (8 + 6.28). The last year's incentive would be shifted to the first year of QB coaching.

By the way, I got the numbers based upon 7 years, 100 million - if incentives were matched - which they won't all be matched. 56 base if none were matched, but he could be cut at any time.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to reality...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I came to that above post is that I want three things: commitment to Smith (even if it can be overcome by cutting him), incentive for Smith (so that the Chiefs don't lock too much money into him without results), and an escape clause (as all teams should have). As a fan of the team, that's what I would want.

If I look at it as a fan of Smith, and I know people aren't like this, I would want the longest reasonable contract with the most guaranteed. I don't want the max for Alex, even if solely thinking as a fan of his. I don't go higher because I want Smith to have a good team around him, because as a fan of his, his success on the field and length of career is more important to me than stupid money I will never see. So 8 million seems reasonable. 6-7 sounds long enough. So, a 6 year, 48 million dollar deal with 24-32 guaranteed would be my hope, as a fan of Smith.

I don't go lower because I can't stand the "analysis" after the deal on whether the team likes Smith or not. It's either spun PR-wise to show that he's the best or that he's a bridge QB. People would say the latter anyway, as all NFL teams can cut players, but if it were $5 million per year or another 2 year contract, the voices would be louder. As long as the team can cut him if he doesn't perform, I would want the longer to drown out some of the negative noise.

The truth may be in the middle or to either extremes (albeit the PR-extreme is less likely) - they will play him as long as he is the best option and until someone else is better on the roster and better at that time. If Bray turns out, that's the timeline. If a big time Manning like QB leaves their team, that could be the time. If KC drafts a guy and he develops, that could be the time. If he plays well and gets old, that's the time. All the PR stuff and the analyst "spin" means nothing, sports can take unexpected turns.

I don't like prognosticators. I do like opinions on how long that is - but nothing a team says, a contract says, etc. will cement anything. What too big of a contract says is that they will have to pay for it whether it is worth it or not in the end. Sanchez? The contract the Niners gave Smith in 2011 ($5 M) was underpaid to what he accomplished - but I read people saying that was too big before the season (because the incentives brought it to 8 million and that's what was reported as the contract).

What the team does is most important, but part of the fun of sports is participating in talk on message boards, reading articles, watching videos, and hearing opinions. That's why I add that level of talk about what contract I would like. That's the fun of sports to me. I do realize the wish for the team would be to pay everyone peanuts and win every year. It wouldn't matter the personnel or pay if that happened. The lower you get the best player you can get at the position, the better. If you could get Aaron Rodgers, that would be better, and you'd want him for the minimum you could get him for. But if Alex is the best you can get, you want the minimum you could get him for. Etc.