• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NBA Draft Thread

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if you pick up the dribble after starting the first step.

As a rh dribbler your left foot would then be your pivot as it’s on the ground

You’d then lift your left and put it back down to take your second step.

Travel

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a rh dribbler your left foot would then be your pivot as it’s on the ground

You’d then lift your left and put it back down to take your second step.

Travel

No.

Because you pick that foot up before you pick up the ball.

It is all about timing of when you pick the ball up.

National Federation of State High School Associations says it isn’t a travel when done correctly.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess. I think it is all wasted energy.

Lottery isn’t disincentive though. Teams going to rest players and play young guys down the stretch no matter what.

I honestly don’t believe there is an answer that makes sense.

You constantly complain about the 3 point line being made for TV, which is incredibly silly.

The lottery is made for TV. In fact, IMO TV is the main reason they still do it.

Agree, especially with the bold.

Most teams don't start "tanking" until they are eliminated from playoff contention or will be soon. So they start giving the young guys a lot of playing time to get experience and figure out who they're going to keep.

I think part of the reason people make a big deal about tanking is that they get the idea that it means the players and coaches aren't trying to win. The coaches and players are trying to keep their jobs and/or secure future jobs, they're trying to win every game. FO's are the ones who tank by telling the coach..."these are the guys we want to see out there".

Also, from what I've seen, most fans tend to be on board when a team is tanking because they know they're trying to put something together for the future.

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, especially with the bold.

Most teams don't start "tanking" until they are eliminated from playoff contention or will be soon. So they start giving the young guys a lot of playing time to get experience and figure out who they're going to keep.

I think part of the reason people make a big deal about tanking is that they get the idea that it means the players and coaches aren't trying to win. The coaches and players are trying to keep their jobs and/or secure future jobs, they're trying to win every game. FO's are the ones who tank by telling the coach..."these are the guys we want to see out there".

Also, from what I've seen, most dans tend to be on board when a team is tanking because they know they're trying to put something together for the future.

I think you could argue that the Pistons were actively tanking, including the coach.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

Because you pick that foot up before you pick up the ball.

It is all about timing of when you pick the ball up.

National Federation of State High School Associations says it isn’t a travel when done correctly.

Unless both feet are off the ground it cannot be at travel

but i've already had this fight with them

what they say is in direct conflict with the literal words in the rulebook

my response to them was change the damn words if you want that abomination to be legal.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless both feet are off the ground it cannot be at travel

but i've already had this fight with them

what they say is in direct conflict with the literal words in the rulebook

my response to them was change the damn words if you want that abomination to be legal.

See, that is your problem.

Too literal.

There are gray areas in every rule.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, that is your problem.

Too literal.

There are gray areas in every rule.

being able to take 2 complete steps is against the rule and a clear disadvantage for the defense.

And it's a really blatant one.

Like if you want to incorporate the eurostep....just change the rule.

But don't pretend like it already fits into the rulebook. There's a reason the NBA changed their rulebook to accommodate it....because they know that you can't do it legally in real basketball.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of traveling, how do we feel about double dribbles (Thunder game last night)? Seems the refs blew that call (but the Mavs blew the game regardless).

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. You obviously know nothing about me.

I teach kids and I coached high school basketball for 17 years.

I don’t think it should be part of the game before middle school. That isn’t good for youth basketball.

I tell all kids I have ever worked with to learn to shoot with good form from 10-15 feet and encourage them not to hoist 3s until their bodies are mature enough to shoot 3s with good mechanics. That isn’t happening at lower levels.

But my point is that lower levels wouldn’t have implemented the line if it was just a gimmick.

The shot chart you posted just shows that NBA players are getting smarter.

Why would anyone think a 35-40% 2 point attempt is a good shot?

It isn’t.

Shoot open 3s and high percentage 2s.
It’s the same as the lottery conspiracy, people are generally terrible at math. Our schools are failing us.
Because the game is better than ever.

You are in the minority here along with the get off my lawn people.
Better is subjective. It has been slanted too far to favor offense and high scores. I’m glad to see them cracking down some since the all star break. I still think they call too many fouls on what should be good defense.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you could argue that the Pistons were actively tanking, including the coach.
I don’t think the Pistons were tanking. I think Monty was trying to get fired because he didn’t want to coach (and didn’t), but wanted the huge bag of Money that Gores was stupid enough to throw at him. You don’t start 2-1 if you are tanking.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s the same as the lottery conspiracy, people are generally terrible at math. Our schools are failing us.

Better is subjective. It has been slanted too far to favor offense and high scores. I’m glad to see them cracking down some since the all star break. I still think they call too many fouls on what should be good defense.

Agreed.

Schools are failing us.

It isn’t because of the teachers though, I can promise you that. Teachers in my areas are fed up with school admin and leadership at the division level. They have created a toxic environment where learning is very difficult.

Generally speaking, a game with floor balance and spacing that leans on probability is a lot better than old school pack it into the paint at all costs approach.

Much cleaner game to watch. Athletes have space to make athletic plays instead of driving to the paint just to get clobbered.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think the Pistons were tanking. I think Monty was trying to get fired because he didn’t want to coach (and didn’t), but wanted the huge bag of Money that Gores was stupid enough to throw at him. You don’t start 2-1 if you are tanking.

And almost came back against Miami

It was intentional sabotage by Monty I will never believe otherwise.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

Schools are failing us.

It isn’t because of the teachers though, I can promise you that. Teachers in my areas are fed up with school admin and leadership at the division level. They have created a toxic environment where learning is very difficult.

Generally speaking, a game with floor balance and spacing that leans on probability is a lot better than old school pack it into the paint at all costs approach.

Much cleaner game to watch. Athletes have space to make athletic plays instead of driving to the paint just to get clobbered.
Agreed that it is not the teachers. As well as administrators many students don’t get the support that they need at home and the teachers get the blame.

It is a much more entertaining and generally better game, but still too many Ricky-tack fouls called, especially when offensive players initiate contact. It is getting better and the refs and league will adapt.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed that it is not the teachers. As well as administrators many students don’t get the support that they need at home and the teachers get the blame.

It is a much more entertaining and generally better game, but still too many Ricky-tack fouls called, especially when offensive players initiate contact. It is getting better and the refs and league will adapt.

I agree with the ticky tack fouls.

Especially when offensive player leans in to get contact. That is no call all day.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is good.

But what about the other drills?

The fact that they only discuss the 2 highlights is a red flag to me.

Any pro shooter is capable of hitting 19/25 (and more) in a 1 on 0 drill. Is he that good? Or did he have a hot stretch?

Because he needs to be that good to earn a role in the NBA.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See though…

I read a report that many weren’t impressed with his shooting because of how slow his release was.

Granted, he will have a lot of space on pick and pop, and as long as he is it probably doesn’t matter.

But offensive skills were never in question. How did he really do in the agility drills?

Because “better than expected” could mean a lot of things.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See though…

I read a report that many weren’t impressed with his shooting because of how slow his release was.

Granted, he will have a lot of space on pick and pop, and as long as he is it probably doesn’t matter.

But offensive skills were never in question. How did he really do in the agility drills?

Because “better than expected” could mean a lot of things.
He is for sure lucky this is such a weak draft year