• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free agency and draft thread

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,346.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless they have a huge boner for taking MHJ, who could very well still be there at #4, then yeah, I'd go with the trade back option.
They can still get another good receiver and more picks for trading #4 so it might be a really good idea.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless they have a huge boner for taking MHJ, who could very well still be there at #4, then yeah, I'd go with the trade back option.

If the Pats go MHJ, the Cards could be actively seeking a trade down. I think Nabers is a close 2nd, but do the Cards? They could trade down to 11 with the Vikes and still get someone like BTJ (or if they're lucky Odunze, but I doubt he gets past both 8/9 to the Falcons/Bears).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Pats go MHJ, the Cards could be actively seeking a trade down. I think Nabers is a close 2nd, but do the Cards? They could trade down to 11 with the Vikes and still get someone like BTJ (or if they're lucky Odunze, but I doubt he gets past both 8/9 to the Falcons/Bears).

I would have to imagine they trade down to the Vikes. Vikes will give them #11, #23, a 2025 first (I mean MAYBE a 2026 first? Does this turn into a 4 1st round pick move?), and some 2nds/3rds scattered about. The haul they could get would be ridiculous.

New regimes usually mean new QBs, so I don't put much into the Pats drafting MHJ, but anything is possible.

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to imagine they trade down to the Vikes. Vikes will give them #11, #23, a 2025 first, and some 2nds/3rds scattered about. The haul they could get would be ridiculous.

Depends, they might get a loaded offer for a shorter trade-down (Giants for QB? Someone else for MH3?). I don't think we'll see Denver trade up (not a lot of draft capital to work with), even if they are the most QB-needy team right now outside the top 3 (although the Vikes are close - Stidham vs Darnold).

Or, maybe the Vikes trade with the Chargers or even the Patriots instead? I think they could get to 3 if the first trade up with the Chargers, then jump from 5 to 3 in a separate move.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends, they might get a loaded offer for a shorter trade-down (Giants for QB? Someone else for MH3?). I don't think we'll see Denver trade up (not a lot of draft capital to work with), even if they are the most QB-needy team right now outside the top 3 (although the Vikes are close - Stidham vs Darnold).

Or, maybe the Vikes trade with the Chargers or even the Patriots instead? I think they could get to 3 if the first trade up with the Chargers, then jump from 5 to 3 in a separate move.

I mean if the Pats take MHJ at #3 they'd be morons. SURELY someone would trade up to #3 and give them a King's ransom...

QB/OL/DL is still the picks of choice... I can't imagine it will ever be any different. Get a QB, protect your QB, get to the other QB (which yes you can scheme DBs to do that but it's usually EDGE/DL). It's even moreso that way given a passing league and why I hated the Witherspoon pick over Carter so much.

WR? Eh... I mean look at the Nacua guy or whatever in LA. I mean I get you need SOME competent wideouts... but NCAAF is turning into a passing league as well. There's wideouts and corners everywhere. I see ILB starting to shift next... a lot of times they just had to stop the run... now ILBs are getting huge value when they can cover. Colson could move into the top 2nd round because he can cover... Otherwise he'd be a 4th rounder if it was still a run league.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wholeheartedly agree. I was basing my take on the top 3 picks all going QB. But you're right, if NE decides to mix things up and go with MHJ, I can't see the Cards doing anything other than trading back.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean if the Pats take MHJ at #3 they'd be morons. SURELY someone would trade up to #3 and give them a King's ransom...

QB/OL/DL is still the picks of choice... I can't imagine it will ever be any different. Get a QB, protect your QB, get to the other QB (which yes you can scheme DBs to do that but it's usually EDGE/DL). It's even moreso that way given a passing league and why I hated the Witherspoon pick over Carter so much.

WR? Eh... I mean look at the Nacua guy or whatever in LA. I mean I get you need SOME competent wideouts... but NCAAF is turning into a passing league as well. There's wideouts and corners everywhere. I see ILB starting to shift next... a lot of times they just had to stop the run... now ILBs are getting huge value when they can cover. Colson could move into the top 2nd round because he can cover... Otherwise he'd be a 4th rounder if it was still a run league.
The Pats SHOULD take Maye or Daniels, whichever QB is there. That is the pick that is sitting in their lap and they desperately need a QB but if for some reason they don't obviously the play is to get a ton of picks to move down. It makes sense bc they have so many needs. Like you outlined.

1. Get your QB
2. Protect your QB

If they pass on QB there is absolutely no reason to take a WR or LT. I mean I get LT more than I get WR but still...the QB class next year is not great and you can't expect to trade for a franchise QB or pick you up in FA...it never happens.

QB or trade for the Pats.

Now if they trade down to the 9 or 11 spots and you don't like the QB's then working on those other areas make a bit more sense especially after acquiring more picks. For all that we know they love Rattler

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wholeheartedly agree. I was basing my take on the top 3 picks all going QB. But you're right, if NE decides to mix things up and go with MHJ, I can't see the Cards doing anything other than trading back.

God dammit Lake Shore.. you just told Shopson you agree... you couldn't even keep that as a minimum... you WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree.. god dammit. Now shopson will feel all special and parade around like here while acting all high and mighty for at least 3 weeks. C'mon man...

We're all very disappointed in you.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pats would be epically stupid to not take Maye or Daniels. They really need a franchise QB and it is rare to get such a high draft pick.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God dammit Lake Shore.. you just told Shopson you agree... you couldn't even keep that as a minimum... you WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree.. god dammit. Now shopson will feel all special and parade around like here while acting all high and mighty for at least 3 weeks. C'mon man...

We're all very disappointed in you.
The Rock Shut Up GIF by WWE

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pats would be epically stupid to not take Maye or Daniels. They really need a franchise QB and it is rare to get such a high draft pick.

Yah... I can't imagine they'll trade down. Especially since it's a new regime.

It's a good OL class, but kind of meh in EDGE/DL (and certainly nobody near the top 5 at those positions)... good in WR but insanely weak at ILB/S and not that great at DB.

You need a QB or OL... you gotta go for it this year. Now I get the Pats need a good WR but QB and OT (tackle namely, which the Pats do need) take priority (or they should).