• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason...Staff, FA, Draft Outlook

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't they restructure his contract in 2015? Is it normal to restructure the same contract twice?
They extended his contract in 2015, which was essentially an entirely new contract. So technically they haven't "restructured" him at all on his current contract. I think the only reason the "restructure" term is being tossed out is because the Steelers don't want to carry the full $23m+ cap hit in 2019. Signing him to another 2-3 year extension would save them maybe $5m on the cap next season. And I believe all they have to do to make sure there isn't any carryover (deadweight) from the previous contract is to roll the difference into another signing bonus. That way they aren't kicking the can down the road sotospeak.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They extended his contract in 2015, which was essentially an entirely new contract. So technically they haven't "restructured" him at all on his current contract. I think the only reason the "restructure" term is being tossed out is because the Steelers don't want to carry the full $23m+ cap hit in 2019. Signing him to another 2-3 year extension would save them maybe $5m on the cap next season. And I believe all they have to do to make sure there isn't any carryover (deadweight) from the previous contract is to roll the difference into another signing bonus. That way they aren't kicking the can down the road sotospeak.

Aah gotcha. Now it makes sense.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aah gotcha. Now it makes sense.
my understanding is he will likely restructure to get somewhere b/w 25-30 mill a year. WHich honestly is fair but cheap for a HOF qb and where the cap is going. But will likely get some chunk in signing bonus,,,,,,,therefore keeping the cap hit down

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my understanding is he will likely restructure to get somewhere b/w 25-30 mill a year. WHich honestly is fair but cheap for a HOF qb and where the cap is going. But will likely get some chunk in signing bonus,,,,,,,therefore keeping the cap hit down
Hopefully its a super front-ended contract too. Max out his cap weight in '19 & 20 so its easier to deal with down the road.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully its a super front-ended contract too. Max out his cap weight in '19 & 20 so its easier to deal with down the road.
something tells me it wont be. I think its gonna be like a 2 year extension. something like 50-60 million. 25-30 mill base with 10-15 signing bonus......just a guess

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
something tells me it wont be. I think its gonna be like a 2 year extension. something like 50-60 million. 25-30 mill base with 10-15 signing bonus......just a guess
Yea its almost impossible to front end a short contract. 3 year would be a minimum in my opinion, but would still not present them with a favorable hit at the end of it.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea its almost impossible to front end a short contract. 3 year would be a minimum in my opinion, but would still not present them with a favorable hit at the end of it.
do you think ben makes it 3 more years, i dont. i think he goes for a ride next year. and depending on how it goes, 1 more year after that MAYBE.

But lets say we get rid of AB. The O-line is in flux abit(he gets hit more), munch leaves, and the D only takes a marginal step forward.

I can easily see him saying f' it im out

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you think ben makes it 3 more years, i dont. i think he goes for a ride next year. and depending on how it goes, 1 more year after that MAYBE.

But lets say we get rid of AB. The O-line is in flux abit(he gets hit more), munch leaves, and the D only takes a marginal step forward.

I think 2 years max. 3 would be a stretch but I think next year he has another solid season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clearly it looks like Ben can still play at a high level for 2019. I think he'll play '20 for the sake of the bonus probably, but I'm not ready to say what kind of player he'll be in '20.

OL...well there are reports that Munchak likes the DEN opportunity...no word on how they feel about him, but it's starting to look like PIT will be w/o coach Munch next yr. Just my hunch that the FO ideally would like to start turning over the OL, little by little.

Foster's deal is up. He's made it clear he wants a bigger slice of the pie...if Gilbert were intact, I think they would let Foster make his retirement contract with another team. Now, I'm not so sure, I wouldn't want to replace 2 OL starters in the same yr.

IMO Gilbert will have to show that he's healthy enough to finish out his last yr.

AB...we've seen this OFC w/o AB and it's not the same. While I think Juju can be a WR1, and Washington takes a big leap in '19, they would need another playmaker to step forward to stay at the level they are now.

DEF...If AB is dealt, imo they would be forced to get a DEF playmaker.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly it looks like Ben can still play at a high level for 2019. I think he'll play '20 for the sake of the bonus probably, but I'm not ready to say what kind of player he'll be in '20.

OL...well there are reports that Munchak likes the DEN opportunity...no word on how they feel about him, but it's starting to look like PIT will be w/o coach Munch next yr. Just my hunch that the FO ideally would like to start turning over the OL, little by little.

Foster's deal is up. He's made it clear he wants a bigger slice of the pie...if Gilbert were intact, I think they would let Foster make his retirement contract with another team. Now, I'm not so sure, I wouldn't want to replace 2 OL starters in the same yr.

IMO Gilbert will have to show that he's healthy enough to finish out his last yr.

AB...we've seen this OFC w/o AB and it's not the same. While I think Juju can be a WR1, and Washington takes a big leap in '19, they would need another playmaker to step forward to stay at the level they are now.

DEF...If AB is dealt, imo they would be forced to get a DEF playmaker.
I'd honestly prefer if they did not pay either Foster or Gilbert. I don't know what the dead cap would be with Gil, but every dollar saved could be vital in the March FA if they decide to move on from AB. But they would have to cough up a contract for Finney if they intend to make him a starter. Not nearly as expensive as Foster though. No matter what happens, I think we can expect a step back in O-line play next season if Munch pulls up anchor. Can't remember who reported it, but someone said that Munch is no longer happy in Pittsburgh.

An offense without AB is going to have its growing pains. But an offense without both AB & Munch is going to be rough.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd honestly prefer if they did not pay either Foster or Gilbert. I don't know what the dead cap would be with Gil, but every dollar saved could be vital in the March FA if they decide to move on from AB. But they would have to cough up a contract for Finney if they intend to make him a starter. Not nearly as expensive as Foster though. No matter what happens, I think we can expect a step back in O-line play next season if Munch pulls up anchor. Can't remember who reported it, but someone said that Munch is no longer happy in Pittsburgh.

An offense without AB is going to have its growing pains. But an offense without both AB & Munch is going to be rough.

Foster/Gilbert...I felt that way in SEPT about Foster. As the season went on and Gilbert couldn't get back on the field, I've kinda thought about releasing Gilbert ($900k in deadmoney) and extending Foster for 2 seasons, but I really agree with you time to move on from both....I'm okay losing Munchak with 4 vets starting on the OL...losing him with a new LG and RT...I'm a little more skiddish.

AB...yep...his 160+ targets are not likely to be filled by 1 player which might actually be good.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I read right that we let Saxon go?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2019 Mock Drafts Updates:

The Tennessean has us taking......

20: Pittsburgh Steelers — D.K. Metcalf. WR, Ole Miss | Ben Roethlisberger did not click with James Washington in the same manner that he immediately did with Antonio Brown and Juju Smith-Schuster. Metcalf would find a role for certain in that offense.

CBS Sports Analyst Ryan Wilson has us taking.....

Amani Oruwariye
, CB, Penn State. The Steelers have to upgrade the secondary because after Joe Haden there are a lot of questions. Adding Oruwariye, a physical, fluid cornerback who can cover, makes sense here. In 2018 he was one of college football's best cornerbacks on first down, holding opponents to 27.6 completion percentage while forcing two interceptions and seven passes defended.

SB Nation analyst Dan Kader has us taking.....

20. Pittsburgh Steelers: D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss
It certainly seems like the Steelers will be forced to make a move with Antonio Brown this offseason. If he’s traded away, the Steelers could turn to their first round pick for a replacement. Metcalf is an unfinished product coming out of Ole Miss, but no receiver in the draft his year has his combination of sheer size and athleticism.

With this new AB drama, is there a chance that we really take a WR in the 1st round? I really hope not.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

20: Pittsburgh Steelers — D.K. Metcalf. WR, Ole Miss | Ben Roethlisberger did not click with James Washington in the same manner that he immediately did with Antonio Brown and Juju Smith-Schuster. Metcalf would find a role for certain in that offense.

This guy is an idiot. AB only had 167 yards in his rookie season. lol. Washington had 217! But if AB goes, WR could be near the top of the list. I'd like them to shoot for defense in Rd 1 though. Even if they pick up a 2nd 1st Rd pick from dealing AB. LB & CB would be favorable. WR in Rd 2 would be feasible in that situation. Colbert's seems to know how to find quality WRs in later rounds, so I wouldn't feel the need to waste a 1st Rd pick on a WR unless a gamechanger falls to them.

Amani Oruwariye
, CB, Penn State. The Steelers have to upgrade the secondary because after Joe Haden there are a lot of questions. Adding Oruwariye, a physical, fluid cornerback who can cover, makes sense here. In 2018 he was one of college football's best cornerbacks on first down, holding opponents to 27.6 completion percentage while forcing two interceptions and seven passes defended.

Seen enough of this kid to know he's good, but he's vulnerable to speed. Reminds me a lot of Darquez Dennard (CIN) when he came out of Michigan St. Great rep as a DB, but doesn't keep pace with the speedy WRs. Something that haunted Dennard in his first couple years at the pro level. If Oruwariye can run in the 4.4's at the combine or pro day then he'll be an easy top 3 pick of his position. Especially at his 6'1" size. Greedy Williams (LSU) is another CB prospect that I like. Fast, tall and great ball skills.

It certainly seems like the Steelers will be forced to make a move with Antonio Brown this offseason. If he’s traded away, the Steelers could turn to their first round pick for a replacement. Metcalf is an unfinished product coming out of Ole Miss, but no receiver in the draft his year has his combination of sheer size and athleticism.

With this new AB drama, is there a chance that we really take a WR in the 1st round? I really hope not.
See above post. Same sentiments. Have a feeling the WR pick will be uber popular in mocks leading up to FA this year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amani Oruwariye

I saw the CBS mock...because I know the player I wouldn't leave Deandra Baker on the board and in that mock they did. He will be able to play both man and zone, but a lot of man at UGA.

If AB is moved...imo it will be to OAK or GB if the compensation is a pick. I continue to think JAX will move Ramsey...so it could be for a player, or player and picks.

If they go the draft pick route, with the cap hit they would be taking on, imo anything less than GB's 12th pick is too low even for a 30 y/o WR. should they lose AB, yes the WR spot becomes more of a priority. Maybe not with #20 though...The Ohio St. kid KJ Hill projects as a 2-4 round player now, he's just one name...knowing Colbert they will want a 4.4 or better guy to pair with Juju.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO ILB is the top priority this offseason and draft. One that can cover and play 3 downs. I'm tired of seeing an ILB trailing wide open WRs/TEs/RBs. IMO it was the biggest hole and weakness on our D and it got exploited time and time again this season.