• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Draft...way too early talk

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this mock as well! I could go either way on whichever route they go so long as FS & ILB is addressed in the first 2 rounds.

Rounds 3 & 5a are tricky. I haven't spent much time thinking about which position I want the most, but I think I'd prefer RB over Edge, simply because the priority is higher. We know Bell is gone after this season if they don't get a deal done by July 15th. The edge position is simply a desire to upgrade the pass rush, with a sprinkle of future doubt since we don't know about Dupree's 5th yr option yet.

And obviously that all changes if they throw us a wildcard in Rds 1 or 2.

Thanks...

OLB..this Holland kid replaced Carl Lawson who went to the Bengals last yr and imo is their best pass rusher already...8.5 as a rookie. Well this kid pretty much matched Lawson's production this season. As a need I would place RB higher as well, but somebody, Keion Adams, unnamed rookie, needs to put some heat on Dupree this season.

RB...I don't think he will be there, but I'd love Sony Michel at 60...good in a way because I agree FS and ILB need to be the 1st two picks.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You answered my question only AFTER I had to point out to you that you were confused about the discussion, and AFTER you had to reiterate yourself for the 2nd time (further derailing the discussion). And you went through great lengths to tell me why your thought process was ok BEFORE finally answering my question.

So after all that do you really think I want any part of your discussions?

I was just reiterating my opinions. Sorry you disagreed with them. If you'd like to continue the discussion as I have with others I'd love to do that. If not, that's okay.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks...

OLB..this Holland kid replaced Carl Lawson who went to the Bengals last yr and imo is their best pass rusher already...8.5 as a rookie. Well this kid pretty much matched Lawson's production this season. As a need I would place RB higher as well, but somebody, Keion Adams, unnamed rookie, needs to put some heat on Dupree this season.

RB...I don't think he will be there, but I'd love Sony Michel at 60...good in a way because I agree FS and ILB need to be the 1st two picks.
Damn, Holland sounds like he has incredible upside. Is he in one of our mock pools?

RB... Having a hard time deciphering the Steelers with this position in regards to the draft. We know Tomlin wants Bell to stay badly and is willing to pay the king's ransom, but the Rooney's & Colbert aren't giving in. Tomlin appears to have a hard-on for LSU's RB Guice, so something tells me he is going to push for it come draft day. That's fine and all, but I hope Colbert has the final say. I've always been more of a "fill the glaring holes first" type of armchair GM, and in some way I think that's Colbert's MO to some extent. At least that gives them immediate returns for their recent shortcomings. But a combination of Tomlin's M-O & that "all in" mentality with Ben's career coming to a close has me wondering what sort of wild cards we might see in the first 2 rounds. Honestly I don't know what the hell they are planning to do lol. It will be interesting to watch it unfold on draft weekend.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Big Board (By Position)

Interesting article. Couple interesting things to note.

Harold Landry - I do NOT like Landry in the first round. Landry is coming off of an injury and we DON'T need that in a first round pick.
Jerome Baker and Darius Leonard - They are given the same ranking which is interesting. I think Baker is definitely the better choice.
Marcus Allen - I'm surprised he's ranked so low. If we can get him in the 3rd round then maybe we can stack up on safeties with 2 safeties in the first 3 rounds?
James Washington - Am I the only one to think he's an explosive talent and would be a steal in the 3rd round? Do I think he will be available at 92? I don't think so.

I can see Landry being on their board...don't see this happening.

Baker/Leonard, Baker played at a power 5 school, you have to give him the edge, but I think Leonard is every bit the athlete...reportedly was dominate as you would expect him to be vs that competition.

Allen...I've soured on him maybe more than I should since the end of the bowl season. Looking a little closer he doesn't appear to be a FS type. Love his size athletic ability, but he might struggle to get on the field. I would go with Edmunds from Vi Tech if I could.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just reiterating my opinions. Sorry you disagreed with them. If you'd like to continue the discussion as I have with others I'd love to do that. If not, that's okay.
No (backhanded) apology necessary. Stating opinions is just fine, and very encouraged around here. But blatant disregard to the person you are talking to isn't going to get you anywhere.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, Holland sounds like he has incredible upside. Is he in one of our mock pools?

RB... Having a hard time deciphering the Steelers with this position in regards to the draft. We know Tomlin wants Bell to stay badly and is willing to pay the king's ransom, but the Rooney's & Colbert aren't giving in. Tomlin appears to have a hard-on for LSU's RB Guice, so something tells me he is going to push for it come draft day. That's fine and all, but I hope Colbert has the final say. I've always been more of a "fill the glaring holes first" type of armchair GM, and in some way I think that's Colbert's MO to some extent. At least that gives them immediate returns for their recent shortcomings. But a combination of Tomlin's M-O & that "all in" mentality with Ben's career coming to a close has me wondering what sort of wild cards we might see in the first 2 rounds. Honestly I don't know what the hell they are planning to do lol. It will be interesting to watch it unfold on draft weekend.

Holland...I think so, but he his now for sure...lol

RB...Bell, I think it's out of Tomlin's hands and above his influence at this point. I think MT has a voice, but I really think they are jumping thru these hoops with Bell to give Ben every incentive and opportunity for this season. I truly believe they want a long term deal done, but it will be on their number and that number is on the table so it's up to Bell really.

Guice...I think that's posturing than anything...could they really take a RB at 28? I suppose they could but Tomlin would have to do a helluva selling job, because I'm pretty sure Colbert has the final say. He did when Cowher was there, I don't see why it would've changed with Tomlin.

No clue...me either. Now with Burnett and Bostic in the fold, they could go any number of directions. I think they won't veer too far off the "Steelers Way"...meaning they will probably stay in their lane for the 1st 3 rounds and pick when their turn comes. The Pick?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holland...I think so, but he his now for sure...lol

RB...Bell, I think it's out of Tomlin's hands and above his influence at this point. I think MT has a voice, but I really think they are jumping thru these hoops with Bell to give Ben every incentive and opportunity for this season. I truly believe they want a long term deal done, but it will be on their number and that number is on the table so it's up to Bell really.

Guice...I think that's posturing than anything...could they really take a RB at 28? I suppose they could but Tomlin would have to do a helluva selling job, because I'm pretty sure Colbert has the final say. He did when Cowher was there, I don't see why it would've changed with Tomlin.

No clue...me either. Now with Burnett and Bostic in the fold, they could go any number of directions. I think they won't veer too far off the "Steelers Way"...meaning they will probably stay in their lane for the 1st 3 rounds and pick when their turn comes. The Pick?
Good call. I'm liking how our pools are shaping up. We are ahead of the curve! :suds:

Tomlin/Colbert... I agree. They should stay fairly close to the obvious choices. Only reason I get concerned over these discussions is because of those flier picks that make you scratch your head. And when Tomlin & Colbert do their draft presser you usually hear Tomlin beating his chest over the questionable picks so it makes you wonder who made the decision. But for better or worse, the track record has been pretty remarkable the last 3-4 years. We know things got bumpy from '08-'12 but it seems like they have been playing it smart with the draft lately.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mel Kiper has us drafting......

Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia

Yes, the Steelers took an edge rusher in T.J. Watt in the first round of last year's draft, but I still think this is a position of need. Bud Dupree hasn't quite broken out like we thought he might when he was selected on Day 1 in 2015. The reason I'm going with Carter here is because he could potentially play inside linebacker, too, taking over for Ryan Shazier. Carter showed versatility at Georgia and wasn't always asked to rush the passer -- he had only 9.5 sacks over the past two seasons.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I should remind everyone the Steelers DRAFTED a long snapper in round 6 last year that didn't even make the regular season roster. Just a shot of reality that no one wants. You're Welcome!!!

Now that I have your attention, with all their interest in Guise I wonder if they've decided Bell is unsignable and won't sign the Tag either. I know that is a dumb move on Bell's part but it is what Bell said he'll do. I'm ignoring his statements from when they were still negotiating because that could've just been hot air from Bell.
My point is could RB now be priory #1 and they go Guise in round 1??? Thoughts? To be clear this is not what I want them to do but I'm just wondering the chances of a curveball RB in the 1st round.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I should remind everyone the Steelers DRAFTED a long snapper in round 6 last year that didn't even make the regular season roster. Just a shot of reality that no one wants. You're Welcome!!!

Now that I have your attention, with all their interest in Guise I wonder if they've decided Bell is unsignable and won't sign the Tag either. I know that is a dumb move on Bell's part but it is what Bell said he'll do. I'm ignoring his statements from when they were still negotiating because that could've just been hot air from Bell.
My point is could RB now be priory #1 and they go Guise in round 1??? Thoughts? To be clear this is not what I want them to do but I'm just wondering the chances of a curveball RB in the 1st round.
Last comments from Bell had something to do with him saying he wouldn’t sit out of any games if he played on the tag. So I don’t think the team is in any real danger of losing him for the season. But they would certainly know better than we would. If they draft Guice in Rd 1 then either a trade is in the works for Bell or he really is going to “retire”.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe I’m reading too far into it and they could simply be eyeing the future with Guice.

Short answer: Curveball is definitely on the table.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call. I'm liking how our pools are shaping up. We are ahead of the curve! :suds:

Tomlin/Colbert... I agree. They should stay fairly close to the obvious choices. Only reason I get concerned over these discussions is because of those flier picks that make you scratch your head. And when Tomlin & Colbert do their draft presser you usually hear Tomlin beating his chest over the questionable picks so it makes you wonder who made the decision. But for better or worse, the track record has been pretty remarkable the last 3-4 years. We know things got bumpy from '08-'12 but it seems like they have been playing it smart with the draft lately.

Pool...yeah we're a couple, maybe three weeks away I think.

I think in most successful GM/HC relationships...there has to be a chain of command. We know early on it was Colbert's show but the last 4 or 5 years Tomlin has grown in this area...a lot more visible and upfront in the process so you kinda feel like they are working more in tandem, but I would have to think Colbert has the final say. If there is a questionable pick...(like Juju) the HC normally is going to make it seem like a united front at the very least.

I know here in ATL Quinn has the final say on the 53, but supposedly not the final say on the draft so who really has control?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mel Kiper has us drafting......

Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia

Yes, the Steelers took an edge rusher in T.J. Watt in the first round of last year's draft, but I still think this is a position of need. Bud Dupree hasn't quite broken out like we thought he might when he was selected on Day 1 in 2015. The reason I'm going with Carter here is because he could potentially play inside linebacker, too, taking over for Ryan Shazier. Carter showed versatility at Georgia and wasn't always asked to rush the passer -- he had only 9.5 sacks over the past two seasons.

There is a lot of conversation or comparisons to Leonard Floyd...former dawg that went to CHI in the 1st round in '16 draft.

Both were athletic freaks that did well at the combine but really didn't have great pass rushing numbers @ GA. I didn't see every UGA game, but Carter was not sent on the pass rush a ton...his best football is ahead of him for sure. Love him at 60, not so much at 28...I wouldn't leave Reid, or LVE, or Evans on the board for him.

He's not as talented, but imo he will be a better, worse case equal pass rusher...Jeff Holland, OLB AUB...shorter guy, but good bend and flex...very similar build and game to former Auburn DE,OLB...Carl Lawson...actually took Lawson's spot when he moved on to the NFL and produced just as well.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe I’m reading too far into it and they could simply be eyeing the future with Guice.

Short answer: Curveball is definitely on the table.

Maybe they are admitting defeat with Conner by entertaining Guice?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL...FWIW...I think Guice is off the board at 28...maybe DET at 20? But it wouldn't shock me if he was on the board and the Steelers chose him. If the board still had Evans, and Reid and they chose a RB...I would be surprised.

That would tell me that they don't think Connor is the answer, his recovery progress, or they are not too excited about a tandem backfield.

I don't think they would withdraw the tag....imo they are all in for '18 for Ben and Bell is part of that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Jarvis Jones...I'm starting to feel the Steelers might be moving off this kid. Either his health is not good enough to run or there isn't much there to see.

Report: Pre-Draft Concerns About LB Rashaan Evans Surface Following 2nd Alabama Pro Day - Steelers Depot

@FaCe-LeE-uS
Didn't run at the combine nor the pro day... Not the biggest dealbreaker, but certainly the concerns are warranted. Hamstring & Groin issues are plaguing if not dealt with accordingly. Takes a lot of work on his part.