• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The way too early coaching hot seat poll

Who's ass is burning the most

• Total voters

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, we are a little over 1/4 of the way and things are just beginning to fall into place but there is obviously a long way to go. But maybe we should discuss which coaches are in trouble. I didn't include a couple of them that are losing like Gannon because he has the team playing hard despite having a horrible roster.
A couple of my thoughts about the ones I included.
Belichick, the problem here is that he has had all the control and built an absolutely horrible roster. Can't deny his legacy but Kraft has to be looking at a change soon. This is ugly.
Frank Reich, not sure it's all on him but he is definitely feeling the heat. They assembled a top coaching staff and traded up for the top pick but they look pretty awful and Young has struggled. The problem here is that all the circumstances are conspiring against them. They took Young while Stroud has looked very solid on an equally suspect team. They gave Chicago their first round pick which currently looks like Caleb Williams, ouch. And their best WR is an older veteran slot, middle of the road number 2 at best. No running game to speak of and a kid who looks like he's way over his head (pun intended).
Kevin O'Connell, was so lucky last year to be where they were and obviously, Minny could be moving on from Cousins so maybe he gets a little leash. After all, he isn't the one putting the ball on the ground for the other team seemingly every second possession.
Payton, given what Broncos ownership gave up to get him, maybe they don't want to be too hasty but damn, this team has looked awful to this point. Vance Joseph is probably the sacrificial lamb because of how horrendous that defense has been. Losing any game 70-20 should be an immediate indictment on any head coach in this league though.
Staley, somehow has managed to get back to .500 despite his best efforts to fuck it up. Talking about O'Connell's luck last year and here Staley has needed back to back goal line int's to save his ass at the end of games. Forget the record, the eye test says this thing is not good.
Daboll, despite winning COTY last year after getting the team into the play-offs and winning in Minny, it's pretty obvious this team is not as good as all that suggests. He likely gets a little longer leash from the Mara's simply because management has built such a shitty roster and hasn't really addressed their shortcomings at all. It's just a bad team.
Rivera, losing 40-20 to the Bears at home is a really bad look. He honestly should have been canned last year but because of the ownership change, he seemed to get a reprieve for now but his days have to be numbered.
McDaniel, despite beating the Packers in primetime, this looks like a team going nowhere. I have no idea what Marc Davis will do but this was a shitty hire that virtually everyone saw coming. Of course, Davis is a retard so he will probably give this asshat a raise.
Feel free to add your own, maybe Eberflus but I think he's the least of the Bears problems.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Belichick could be getting on thin ice if his season continues on the way it is for the remainder of the year... I think BB is too stubborn to leave on his own, especially with the way things have gone since Brady left... There is no indication that the Patriots have the players in tact to really compete at a high level... Definitely should be a conversation in the offiseason between owners/BB imo...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick and Payton are immune for better or worse. If the Patriots had a different head coach, he would be on the hot seat for sure, that team is getting worse each week. Payton just got a 10 year deal, he's safe.

I doubt Daboll is on the hot seat yet after the team's improvement last season.

I voted McDaniel out of pure hatred, lol.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted O'Connell... With Jefferson out for 4-6 weeks, Vikings 1-4, there is no reason to rush Jefferson back... With that said, could the Vikings be looking at trading Cousins? If that did happen, I can see the Vikings moving forward with a new regime in tact...

Cousins would be a good fit back in Washington...

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Payton starting with a worse record than Nthaniel Hackett is pretty delicious after shitting on him at the start of the season.
Hackett actually had someone on the Defensive side of the ball who wasn’t a complete dogshit coach, Payton doesn’t have that luxury.

Hackett was just a bad coach, Payton is trying to coach a dead team with a losing culture that’s needed to be dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up going on 8 years now.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staley was the only one that made sense mid season imo but he is likely safe unless he somehow doesnt finish top 2 in the AFCW.

Rivera seems like he could get let go at the end of the season. He is in Jeff Fisher territory but Im not sure they have the QB to compete in a tough division.

Reich would probably be my pick. Easy scapegoat. If he wanted Stroud and didnt get him then he might not even be the right fit for the team.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hackett actually had someone on the Defensive side of the ball who wasn’t a complete dogshit coach, Payton doesn’t have that luxury.

Hackett was just a bad coach, Payton is trying to coach a dead team with a losing culture that’s needed to be dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up going on 8 years now.
Tough to argue with after watching Hackett post Rodgers... Verdict is out on E. Bienemy as well after getting out from under Andy Reid... EB needed to make this move though imo... Smart decision for him to go to WASH to try and create his own brand..

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I voted Rivera because I think he's just holding a place until the new ownership group figures out who they really want. But all of these guys are looking pretty bad right now.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick and Payton are immune for better or worse. If the Patriots had a different head coach, he would be on the hot seat for sure, that team is getting worse each week. Payton just got a 10 year deal, he's safe.

I doubt Daboll is on the hot seat yet after the team's improvement last season.

I voted McDaniel out of pure hatred, lol.

Belichick in not immune. He makes $20M a year. More than any coach in the league.

I dont think there is anyway he is back next year at this point (I dont see them turning it around). He will "retire"....but it will most certainly be the Pat's ownership pushing him towards that retirement.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staley was the only one that made sense mid season imo but he is likely safe unless he somehow doesnt finish top 2 in the AFCW.

Rivera seems like he could get let go at the end of the season. He is in Jeff Fisher territory but Im not sure they have the QB to compete in a tough division.

Reich would probably be my pick. Easy scapegoat. If he wanted Stroud and didnt get him then he might not even be the right fit for the team.
After what I heard from that presser Reich gave, it would seem the owner hasn't got much patience.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin O'Connell is safe.

He doesnt pick his roster. And his roster has holes. He'll get a 3rd year no pretty much no matter what.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think Payton has his heart in it. He wanted out of coaching for a reason and I bet he only took this gig because of the insane amount of money they threw at him.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's little wonder that the coaching carousel is always in motion when you see how some of these rosters are constructed. Obviously, some guys just aren't cut out to be HCs in the NFL but damn, some of the management decisions really give these guys a losing hand to play with. Of course, a guy like Belichick built what he's got so no excuses.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I voted Rivera because I think he's just holding a place until the new ownership group figures out who they really want. But all of these guys are looking pretty bad right now.
I agree. Rivera is a dead man walking, but I don't think it'll happen during the season. After the season, the new owner will be hiring a new GM and a new HC.

Payton is safe in Denver. He's in year 1 and his contract is too long for ownership to just eat that money.

Things could be interesting with Bill in NE. If the team continues to fall apart this season and they end up with a top 5 pick (looking likely), it's the perfect time for a regime change, but I can't see Bill quitting on his own, so the issue will be whether ownership has the guts to fire him?

The Panthers were going to stink this year. Ownership should have been prepared for that, yet it sounds like it has surprised them. Still, I could see Reich getting fired in midseason next year. The owner seems like a meddler b/c what kind of idiot doesn't let his new HC pick his own QB. Reich's press conference the other day was painful and he just sounded defeated and beat down.

Last edited:

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Payton has his heart in it. He wanted out of coaching for a reason and I bet he only took this gig because of the insane amount of money they threw at him.

There had to be something other than money because he was getting paid $10 mil/year at FOX, and while $18 mil/year with Denver is almost double it’s not like he was hurting for money before coming back.

On tv as an analyst he’s fine but to come back and get shit on daily again for all his coaching moves seems crazy if it’s just about the money.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There had to be something other than money because he was getting paid $10 mil/year at FOX, and while $18 mil/year with Denver is almost double it’s not like he was hurting for money before coming back.

On tv as an analyst he’s fine but to come back and get shit on daily again for all his coaching moves seems crazy if it’s just about the money.
I think a lot of his decision to take the job was based on his own arrogance.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB built the team and it's a failure.
Can't point to anybody else.
Retire or be fired.