• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The way, way too early 53 man roster for '24

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it's way, way too early, but WCG popped one out anyway:

Some immediate observations:

*One UDFA, DT Keith Randolph, JR is already projected to make the roster.
*Despite having arguably the best WR trio in the Norris, we're still pretty thin in terms of depth. Hopefully Scott can step up and prove he's a legit 4th.
*I'd like to see Marcedes Lewis return as our 3rd TE. Granted, he'll be playing in his age 40 season, but he'd still be the best blocking non-OL on the team.
*Speaking of reprising roles, I'm for the Bears either giving one more year to Yannick Ngakoue or taking a flier on Emmanuel Ogbah for depth to the Edge rotation.
*I thought Tyson did a decent job as a fill-in when Fields was hurt, but I sure wouldn't mind a more seasoned QB to at least be one of the three, if not second to Williams.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, following both free agency AND now the draft? It's really not "too early" to paint a picture of what things may look like.

- Don't mind Lewis returning (but also don't mind a younger kid earning that role). It was cool when Lewis caught that TD vs Arizona last year. You could tell how much the team respected him, with how they celebrated it.

- I still have a glimmer of hope for Scott. Him emerging would also be huge, IMO. We have 3 REALLY talented receivers, but all are (more so) known for their excellent fundamentals/route running/possession abilities. Moore is a great YAC guy as well. None are true "burners", though. They CAN go deep, but its not a specialty. Scott could be really useful in becoming that deep threat you don't think about all game and then BANG. He sneaks past the secondary deep and catches a 60-70 yard touchdown. Sort of how MVZ was with GB when Adams was there. Weird stat lines like 2 catches for 102 yards.

- I like some of the pieces we have on Dline, but no one truly stands out to emerge as a threat at Edge. Ngakoue in a limited role isn't a terrible idea.

- Rumors have been swirling that we may bring in Tannehill. However, I get a feeling we just role with Bagent. Which, I am fine with. IMO, Bagent can win you a game in a spot start if the offense around him functions and the D does their part. We have more than enough pieces for him to safely navigate his way through a football game - if need be. If he has to play like 4+ weeks? Yeah, that's an issue. But that's the case with any backup. That's why they're backups. I think Bagent has the potential to be a nice/reliable career backup. Which is a mighty fine gig, if you ask me. Especially after coming from such humble beginnings. Undrafted from a D-3 program.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, following both free agency AND now the draft? It's really not "too early" to paint a picture of what things may look like.

- Don't mind Lewis returning (but also don't mind a younger kid earning that role). It was cool when Lewis caught that TD vs Arizona last year. You could tell how much the team respected him, with how they celebrated it.

- I still have a glimmer of hope for Scott. Him emerging would also be huge, IMO. We have 3 REALLY talented receivers, but all are (more so) known for their excellent fundamentals/route running/possession abilities. Moore is a great YAC guy as well. None are true "burners", though. They CAN go deep, but its not a specialty. Scott could be really useful in becoming that deep threat you don't think about all game and then BANG. He sneaks past the secondary deep and catches a 60-70 yard touchdown. Sort of how MVZ was with GB when Adams was there. Weird stat lines like 2 catches for 102 yards.

- I like some of the pieces we have on Dline, but no one truly stands out to emerge as a threat at Edge. Ngakoue in a limited role isn't a terrible idea.

- Rumors have been swirling that we may bring in Tannehill. However, I get a feeling we just role with Bagent. Which, I am fine with. IMO, Bagent can win you a game in a spot start if the offense around him functions and the D does their part. We have more than enough pieces for him to safely navigate his way through a football game - if need be. If he has to play like 4+ weeks? Yeah, that's an issue. But that's the case with any backup. That's why they're backups. I think Bagent has the potential to be a nice/reliable career backup. Which is a mighty fine gig, if you ask me. Especially after coming from such humble beginnings. Undrafted from a D-3 program.
In one sense I agree, it's never too early to talk about anything NFL related. I only titled the post the way I did is because it's pretty much a given that the roster as currently configured will not be the one come September. There's OTAs, mandatory camp, and preseason games, so I'm sure there will be unexpected cuts and add ons around the league as the days roll on. I like this roster a helluva lot more than the one at this same time last year, but I'd still like to see it tightened up a bit more, such as QB, TE, DE, spots like that.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In one sense I agree, it's never too early to talk about anything NFL related. I only titled the post the way I did is because it's pretty much a given that the roster as currently configured will not be the one come September. There's OTAs, mandatory camp, and preseason games, so I'm sure there will be unexpected cuts and add ons around the league as the days roll on. I like this roster a helluva lot more than the one at this same time last year, but I'd still like to see it tightened up a bit more, such as QB, TE, DE, spots like that.

I think we're fine at QB. Williams is our guy. Bagent is a good backup that can take on a game or two here or there if needed.

We need an Edge. I'm betting we trade for one if the team shows promise early in the season.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're fine at QB. Williams is our guy. Bagent is a good backup that can take on a game or two here or there if needed.

We need an Edge. I'm betting we trade for one if the team shows promise early in the season.
I won't lose any sleep if Bagent ends up as our #2. Like I said, he played decently last season filling in for Fields. Another year on the squad will serve him and the Bears well. But I still wouldn't mind seeing a more experienced QB in the mix. Brett Rypien is not exactly the classic example of a seasoned vet.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't lose any sleep if Bagent ends up as our #2. Like I said, he played decently last season filling in for Fields. Another year on the squad will serve him and the Bears well. But I still wouldn't mind seeing a more experienced QB in the mix. Brett Rypien is not exactly the classic example of a seasoned vet.

Rypien has worked with Waldron...which is why he fills out the third spot nicely. Cheap, can help the other 2 with the playbook/concepts and a reasonable last resort.

I'd be pretty surprised if we sign another QB.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rypien has worked with Waldron...which is why he fills out the third spot nicely. Cheap, can help the other 2 with the playbook/concepts and a reasonable last resort.

I'd be pretty surprised if we sign another QB.
Guess that would 'splain why he's a Bear. So little experience tho. But what the hey, if that's how we roll, then that's how we roll.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess that would 'splain why he's a Bear. So little experience tho. But what the hey, if that's how we roll, then that's how we roll.
My guess is that Waldron likes Rypien. Even if he does understand that it's a bad thing if he ever sees a meaningful snap. Rypien is likely fine embracing any role, intelligent, and understands the system/what Waldron is trying to do.