• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you trade up for Sammy Watkins?

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would love us to get Watkins, as most know. But I recently have started to expect us to trade up to get Gilbert.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilbert will likely go in the top 15, so if the Niners were to trade up from #30, they will likely have to give up their 1st, KC's 2nd, and a third to move up and grab Gilbert.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooks is better than Watkins...a #30 could get him easily.

I would love Cooks to be a 49er, but his stock his risen. He will probably go top 20, so if the Niners want him, they will need to trade up. But they have a pressing need at CB after what happened with Culliver.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gilbert will likely go in the top 15, so if the Niners were to trade up from #30, they will likely have to give up their 1st, KC's 2nd, and a third to move up and grab Gilbert.

this is very ok if Gilbert is THE guy we really want. we'd still have our 2nd, and two 3rd's to add future starters. rather have this than trading all of our first six for Watkins.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is very ok if Gilbert is THE guy we really want. we'd still have our 2nd, and two 3rd's to add future starters. rather have this than trading all of our first six for Watkins.

If Watkins fell to 5, according to the draft value chart, we'd need to get 1700

30, 56, 77 gets us to 1150. We throw in next year's 1 and 4 and we're there.

That gives us Watkins, plus three more picks in the top 100-our 2nd, our 3rd plus our comp 3.

Not saying we should do this but this is a better deal than then giving up all 6.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way 49ers move up to the top 5. Just not how our front office works. They never go all in. They love their picks and love to have options. The highest I see us moving up is 15-20 range.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way 49ers move up to the top 5. Just not how our front office works. They never go all in. They love their picks and love to have options. The highest I see us moving up is 15-20 range.

Just like last year, they moved up from #31 to #18(Dallas) and drafted Reid. They gave Dallas a 3rd to move up. If Gilbert somehow falls past #15, then the Niners can trade their 1st and 3rd and move up to #18.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Watkins fell to 5, according to the draft value chart, we'd need to get 1700

30, 56, 77 gets us to 1150. We throw in next year's 1 and 4 and we're there.

That gives us Watkins, plus three more picks in the top 100-our 2nd, our 3rd plus our comp 3.

Not saying we should do this but this is a better deal than then giving up all 6.

just looking at the trade.........I'd rather give up "our 2nd, our 3rd", plus whatever else it takes to reach 1700, than next year's 1 and 4. anyway, we both agree we shouldn't trade up THAT high.

at this point, no longer in favor of trading up "top 10". trade up to the late teens like last year, or mid teens at highest.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just like last year, they moved up from #31 to #18(Dallas) and drafted Reid. They gave Dallas a 3rd to move up. If Gilbert somehow falls past #15, then the Niners can trade their 1st and 3rd and move up to #18.

yes, prefer this type of trade up.

I'd go higher than 18 if they REALLY like Gilbert, or whomever else.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sammy Watkins - WR - Tigers

ESPN's Mel Kiper said on the "First Draft" podcast that some evaluators believe Clemson WR Sammy Watkins "is a better prospect coming out than A.J. Green was."

Kiper dropped that little tidbit when discussing potential scenarios for the Rams, who own the Nos. 2 and 13 picks in the first round of May's draft. The analyst believes Watkins is worthy of the second selection if St. Louis decides to go in that direction, and suggests Alabama S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix as a target at 13 if the Rams tab Watkins first. Kiper asserts that the Rams "don't need to force" an OT selection. Colleague Todd McShay, for the record, disagrees, and believes St. Louis should tab offensive line help early.
Source: ESPN's First Draft Podcast

Apr 2 - 7:58 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sammy Watkins - WR - Tigers

ESPN's Mel Kiper said on the "First Draft" podcast that some evaluators believe Clemson WR Sammy Watkins "is a better prospect coming out than A.J. Green was."

What is with people saying stupid things about this draft? They weren't this dumb last year. Mack is better than Clowney? Watkins is a better prospect than AJ Green was? :L

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is with people saying stupid things about this draft? They weren't this dumb last year. Mack is better than Clowney? Watkins is a better prospect than AJ Green was? :L

Just like you think Sanchez would be better for the 49ers then Kap. LOL :kidding:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just like you think Sanchez would be better for the 49ers then Kap. LOL :kidding:

That isn't really his argument. His argument is that giving Kap huge money is silly, particularly if we can trade him for a high pick. I am extremely skeptical of Sanchez, but the rest of his argument is not as far-fetched as some would make it seem. After all, we very nearly made the super bowl with Alex Smith at QB.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn't really his argument. His argument is that giving Kap huge money is silly, particularly if we can trade him for a high pick. I am extremely skeptical of Sanchez, but the rest of his argument is not as far-fetched as some would make it seem. After all, we very nearly made the super bowl with Alex Smith at QB.

Alex Smith is a good QB.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alex Smith is a good QB.

He's a solid QB. He's not getting $18 million/year, though. You could have Smith and either an elite player at another position, or two very good players for what Kap is likely to cost on an annual basis. I think the Niners made the right move in sticking with Kap, but there's at least a reasonable argument to be made that we'd be better off strengthening the roster and continuing to use lower-priced QBs. Harbaugh has had success doing that do date.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a solid QB. He's not getting $18 million/year, though. You could have Smith and either an elite player at another position, or two very good players for what Kap is likely to cost on an annual basis. I think the Niners made the right move in sticking with Kap, but there's at least a reasonable argument to be made that we'd be better off strengthening the roster and continuing to use lower-priced QBs. Harbaugh has had success doing that do date.

I rather have a guy you can trust and play for your franchise for a long time instead of having a New QB every 2-3 years with avg QBs. We don't know what the number will be for Kap. Right now we think 18 million. What if he gets 16 million a year. Is that a better number for you. Seattle fans will have the same problem next year. Wilson will at least get 16-18 million. He has a Super Bowl ring even though he didn't do much. Defense won that championship.

Just so we are on the same page, u think its better to draft a QB every 3-4 years and then trade them when their rookie contract comes up so we don't have to pay a big price for the most important position.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rather have a guy you can trust and play for your franchise for a long time instead of having a New QB every 2-3 years with avg QBs. We don't know what the number will be for Kap. Right now we think 18 million. What if he gets 16 million a year. Is that a better number for you. Seattle fans will have the same problem next year. Wilson will at least get 16-18 million. He has a Super Bowl ring even though he didn't do much. Defense won that championship.

Just so we are on the same page, u think its better to draft a QB every 3-4 years and then trade them when their rookie contract comes up so we don't have to pay a big price for the most important position.
True about the going rate for a quality QB. Kap has been a starter for one full season. Why does he merit 18 mil? RW will get some money because he has a ring and didn't fuck up at the end of playoff games. Can you say the same thing about Kap? I will give him the season to see if he gets any better and judge him then but I won't say he is worth top QB money now.