• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you trade up for Sammy Watkins?

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's early still to talk about trade ups-no clear draft position for the Niners, or KC for that matter. However, would you be interested in trading up for Watkins? If the price was our 1 and Both 2's? All mocks I've seen have him going between 8-12 on average, which according to the Draft Value Chart would cost our first 3 picks. Based, of course on the Niners and Chiefs both with mid to late 20 picks in each round.

After watching our passing game be average at best with the weapons we have I'm all in to trade up. He's the most dynamic WR in the draft imo.

We still have 2 3's to play with, in addition to a probable 3rd round comp pick for Goldson. We have the ammo to move up into the 2nd again for CB or another impact player.

What do you think?

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would NOT trade up giving up our #1,#2 and KC#2 to the 8-12 area. Good WRs generally can be found in the 2nd and in fact generally there is a run on them in that round. We have multiply needs in the draft with CB,WR,S,DE,DT,QB,OLB,TE. That being said we do definitely need upgrade at WR and will probably use a early pick on one with CB being in the mix too. Positional value would argue DE or CB then trade up for WR in early 2nd though. JMHO:rollseyes:

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was 6'4", 6'5" Physical freak it might be worth the risk to mortgage the first two rounds of the draft for. At his size I would personally say the bust risk is just too high. Obviously there are receivers that have been successful at his size, but I just don't think its a good risk assessment.
He is 6'1" 215 I think and hes only averaging 15.3 yards a catch at the college lvl. Those are not bad stats, however I just don't see them as sell out stats.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wouldn't give up our first and both seconds for really anyone, unless it's a franchise QB. I'm all for making a move like the one we did this past year, packaging our first and a third to move up from the 20s/30s into the teens. But picks are too valuable to shell out that much for any one player IMO. At a minimum, we need to add a starting caliber WR and CB, as well as strengthen other positions.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Watkins, but he's not on AJ Green's or Julio Jones' level as a prospect, and even then, I'm not sure I'd do it. The only time I'd make a move like that is if we already have that franchise QB and we're trying to get him to the next level, that is still up the air.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
as already mentioned, seems high for one player and although very good, does't appear to be that 'franchise' wr?

that said, i wouldn't be irate over it? in the big picture, rather go for quality over quantity.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't we have double digit picks again next year? In reality very few of our picks will make (or contribute to) the team. We should either trade up for talent than can compete for playing time or parlay the picks into future picks.

As to the questions about Watkins being the right guy, I have no idea. I don't watch enough college football to comment.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't we have double digit picks again next year? In reality very few of our picks will make (or contribute to) the team. We should either trade up for talent than can compete for playing time or parlay the picks into future picks.

As to the questions about Watkins being the right guy, I have no idea. I don't watch enough college football to comment.

I believe he have 1 first, 2 seconds, and 2 3rds.. The rest of the pick are the entire 7th round if I'm not mistaken.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I found.

1. Round 1 - own
2. Round 2 - own
3. Round 3 - own
4. Round 3 - Chiefs (Alex Smith trade - improves to Round 2 if Chiefs win 8 games)****NOW a 2ND
5. Round 3 - Titans (trade down for Carradine)
6. Round 4 - own
7. Round 5 - own
8. Round 6 - own
9. Round 7 - own
10. Round 7 - Panthers (Colin Jones trade)
11. Round 7 - Saints (Parys Haralson trade)
12. Round 7 - Colts (Cam Johnson trade)
13. Compensation pick - Dashon Goldson loss (3rd or 4th round)

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We have a lot of picks yes, however the kind of ammo it would take to move up to get Watkins is pretty hefty( unless we loose our last 7 games) If it only took like a 2nd and a third, maybe.
I personally would just say no to Watkins period. I have had my fill with small quick receivers. I would want someone thats big, can run decent, and jump. ( I have no idea how well Watkins jumps) I have not watched much of Watkins, but what i remember of him hes a shifty quick WR.

I guess I would just would rather miss on a JJ Stokes then on a Jenkins. I think a bigger WR would compliment Crabtree better, if we keep him.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Watkins, but he's not on AJ Green's or Julio Jones' level as a prospect, and even then, I'm not sure I'd do it. The only time I'd make a move like that is if we already have that franchise QB and we're trying to get him to the next level, that is still up the air.
This. I think he has potential for sure if in the right system. At this moment in time I'm not sure the 9ers have the offense for him to progress. Might be too much of a sacrifice for the 9ers to afford. this may change by draft time.

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be quite amused if we took a shot at Quintin Payton in the later rounds out of NC State.

The guy I really want though is Mike Evans. 6'5" 225, and a former basketball player. I am not sure on his 40 though. He has looked really solid when i watched him play. He is a throw the ball up to him receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would NOT trade up giving up our #1,#2 and KC#2 to the 8-12 area. Good WRs generally can be found in the 2nd and in fact generally there is a run on them in that round. We have multiply needs in the draft with CB,WR,S,DE,DT,QB,OLB,TE. That being said we do definitely need upgrade at WR and will probably use a early pick on one with CB being in the mix too. Positional value would argue DE or CB then trade up for WR in early 2nd though. JMHO:rollseyes:

Not sure I agree with all these needs. No argument whatsoever with 1-3, but after that I've got some questions. We added two DEs in the draft this past year, one in the early second round, and have two young UDFAs who have played well. Between Dorsey and Williams, I think NT is ok. Pending Aldon, we're in good shape at OLB. And at TE we've got an elite player and a second-round pick.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here's what I found.

1. Round 1 - own
2. Round 2 - own
3. Round 3 - own
4. Round 3 - Chiefs (Alex Smith trade - improves to Round 2 if Chiefs win 8 games)****NOW a 2ND
5. Round 3 - Titans (trade down for Carradine)
6. Round 4 - own
7. Round 5 - own
8. Round 6 - own
9. Round 7 - own
10. Round 7 - Panthers (Colin Jones trade)
11. Round 7 - Saints (Parys Haralson trade)
12. Round 7 - Colts (Cam Johnson trade)
13. Compensation pick - Dashon Goldson loss (3rd or 4th round)

We're likely to have a 3rd or 4th round comp pick for Goldson, as well.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sammy Watkins doesn't separate himself that much from Paul Richardson and Allen Robinson, so no

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Talent from the first three rounds should all stick on the team. Players from round four through seven are in for competition. But we still have a lot of holes and backup spots up for grabs next year.

Personally, I'd rather we stay put and grab a WR like Mike Evans (Texas A&M) with the first and then a CB/S and OL with our two seconds. I say OL because Goodwin is gone after this season, and one of Iupati/Boone is gone the following year. I could also see us going TE though just cause Harbaugh wants talent there.

Then with possibly 3 third round picks - we can splurge.

The possibilities are endless, but we are definitely in a position to upgrade an already talented roster.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We need Sammy Watkins. Our first and one of our second round picks. I have a feeling Mike Evans will be the first receiver off the board. Which will push Watkins in the 11-14 range. We could afford to move up to get him at that spot. No need to do a Tavon Austin type trade to acquire him. A player like Watkins can open our offense to another level. He's that talented.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Baalke will use the later-round picks to target specific players in the earlier rounds. We won't use all of those picks. Hopefully we'll turn some into earlier picks next year, but we found room for quite a few rookies this year even with a very deep roster.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We need Sammy Watkins. Our first and one of our second round picks. I have a feeling Mike Evans will be the first receiver off the board. Which will push Watkins in the 11-14 range. We could afford to move up to get him at that spot. No need to do a Tavon Austin type trade to acquire him. A player like Watkins can open our offense to another level. He's that talented.

What's Watkins do that Paul Richardson doesn't?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I could live with a move for our first and a second, if the player we're getting is an impact player. Not sure if Watkins is that guy, but there's no doubt we need a speed receiver.