• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Scenarios With Arizona And The Number 4 Overall Pick

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't believe that this type of trade is likely, let's look at the possibilities with the Broncos trading up with Arizona for the number 4 pick ..

I've seen some very unrealistic scenarios, and some more down to earth ..

And would you pull the trigger on this type of deal ??

Obviously, the target would be a QB for the Broncos ... Most likely, JJ McCarthy, but there are some who feel Maye - and Daniels - could be there at 4 ...

Trade proposal ONE:

- The Broncos trade Pat Surtain and pick #12 to the Cards for pick #4 and pick #27 ....

The Cards get one of the best, proven CBs in the game and at 12 can get a top WR or Bowers ... The Broncos get McCarthy or Maye and someone like Edgerrin Cooper, Xavier Worthy or a top CB, edge or OT ...

I saw one article that talked of how Surtain alone could get picks 4 and 27, but I don't feel that is realistic, not to mention not exactly what the Cards would be looking for ..

Overall, I am not crazy about giving up Pat Surtain, esp considering we'd probably use #27 to draft to another CB ... However, the idea of going into camp with McCarthy or Maye AND the fastest guy ever in Worthy - it sure seems intriguing ..

Trade proposal TWO:

- The Broncos trade pick #12, pick #104, their 2025 first round pick and their 2025 second round pick to the Cards in exchange for pick #4 and pick #104 in this year's draft ..

More mortgaging of the future, however, we keep Surtain and get the QB that Payton wants ...

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sean Payton reveals whether Broncos are considering big draft move​

By Clark Dalton | Last updated 3/25/24

Denver Broncos head coach Sean Payton hasn't ruled out moving up in the NFL Draft.
"I think that's realistic. What's hard to predict though is what's on the receiving end," Payton said Monday, via Mike Klis of KUSA-TV in Denver.
"I think it's good to be [Cardinals general manager] Monti (Ossenfort) today at Arizona. It's hard to predict what that cost is, and yet I wouldn't say it's unrealistic."
The Broncos have the 12th overall pick in the draft, while the Cardinals have the fourth pick. Ossenfort recently admitted they're open to trading it.

Pro Football Talk's Michael David Smith suggested Denver could offer to the Cardinals a similar package to the one the San Francisco 49ers used to move up from No. 12 to No. 3 to select quarterback Trey Lance in 2021. In this hypothetical deal, the Broncos would trade the 12th pick, a 2025 first- and third-rounder and a 2026 first-rounder.

If Denver moved up in the draft, it might target Michigan's J.J. McCarthy.

Per Klis, Payton said he recently held a private workout with the national champion and "spent four to five hours with him."

Denver should exercise caution, however. The Broncos dealt three first-round picks (and more) for QB Russell Wilson and Payton in 2022 and 2023, hampering their ability to build a strong roster.

First-round trades for QBs often fail. Since 2016, there have been 14 trades for a QB in the first round, per The Athletic. Eight of these passers failed to win a playoff game. Lance completed 54.9 percent of his passes in eight games with the Niners before they dealt him to the Dallas Cowboys in 2023.

In 2023 for Denver, Jarrett Stidham completed 60.6 percent of his passes in two starts, below the league average (64.5 percent), so clearly the Broncos need a QB. In his latest mock draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. has the Broncos selecting 2023 Heisman finalist Bo Nix (Oregon) with their pick in the first round.

If Payton wants to move up to take a QB, he better not miss. Otherwise, he and the Broncos should stand pat.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say hell to the no no

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say trade down as much as possible pick up as may picks as possible for next year and go for Georgia QB . My guess is that will be the first pick . Field a team barley but develope yong players . There is no way we are going to the SB ...No ficken way .. pay as much as possible on the titanic named Russ ...

Tank one year . there I said it . yes it hurts but if we missed on 3 first round picks for J.J. McCarthy that would blow this team up for years on top what Willison did to us ... That sounds like a hell of a mess if you miss

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say trade down as much as possible pick up as may picks as possible for next year and go for Georgia QB . My guess is that will be the first pick . Field a team barley but develope yong players . There is no way we are going to the SB ...No ficken way .. pay as much as possible on the titanic named Russ ...

Tank one year . there I said it . yes it hurts but if we missed on 3 first round picks for J.J. McCarthy that would blow this team up for years on top what Willison did to us ... That sounds like a hell of a mess if you miss
I feel the same. Not so much about which QB, but one that we like that will be attainable with the extra 1st we get to dropping down into the late 1st. I just don't think we have the ammo to make a move.

But if Payton really likes McCarthy that much, I wouldn't be too distraught if he made the move to get his guy. I know it is the season for smokescreens, but people around these parts are starting to talk up JJ to the Commanders at 2. So, 4 may not be high enough.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be 6 1st round oicks in 6 years that sounds nuts for two QB and one was not all that good. and if this one fails oh boy

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just think the tank is dry .. we miss this time. dang

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Broncos won't call me for my opinion (Probably Great Idea) We'll see. Great thread topic Lucas Thanks
Moving up to 4 in reality will take a lot more ammo to get up there.

I think it would take 12 25 #1 26 #1 or 12 25 #1 PS2 (the player not a 20+ year old video game console). Is SP comfy enough with any of the top four QB's to pull the trigger. In a way QB flier is what 95% of what fans want. If you hit the jackpot land the guy for 10-15 yrs who cares about cost we gave up.

Now the what if part we move to 4 get QB and a lot of fans want any QB because its not Stidham which I totally agree. The issue I have if the guy we choose is an upgrade but, not the upgrade we hoped going forward we are basically out of drafting a QB til 27 28. The AFC QB group is very good even if they haven't all lived up to the hype fans set. Some had down years or got hurt. In 24 and beyond they could get better or reach a whole another level makes reaching the playoffs in AFC next to impossible without a top tier QB and a solid roster.

Now the real issue the roster if you were a GM of an exp NFL team and could take any players off our roster going forward how many guys would you take PS2 Quinn and Mims. Next year we might have 100 mil cap space but, it will go fast with all our holes throughout roster. A trade up to 4 we need a promise the guy will be Burrow Allen Jackson or Mahomes with our talent. Ownership stated they want to build via the draft blowing so many high draft assets with a Swiss cheese roster DOESN'T add you to me.

I want a QBOTF so bad and understand you have to take risks to strike gold. Being the biggest wheeler dealer guy myself I think Denver needs to stockpile draft assets and fill out this roster better. I think doing another RW SP type move this quick could put us in old DET and CLEV levels if we don't hit jackpot. I don't envy the FO one bit but, I hope we approach April 25th as a 3 yr plan vs quick fix splash move.

Anyways Happy Easter my friends

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Broncos won't call me for my opinion (Probably Great Idea) We'll see. Great thread topic Lucas Thanks
Moving up to 4 in reality will take a lot more ammo to get up there.

I think it would take 12 25 #1 26 #1 or 12 25 #1 PS2 (the player not a 20+ year old video game console). Is SP comfy enough with any of the top four QB's to pull the trigger. In a way QB flier is what 95% of what fans want. If you hit the jackpot land the guy for 10-15 yrs who cares about cost we gave up.

Now the what if part we move to 4 get QB and a lot of fans want any QB because its not Stidham which I totally agree. The issue I have if the guy we choose is an upgrade but, not the upgrade we hoped going forward we are basically out of drafting a QB til 27 28. The AFC QB group is very good even if they haven't all lived up to the hype fans set. Some had down years or got hurt. In 24 and beyond they could get better or reach a whole another level makes reaching the playoffs in AFC next to impossible without a top tier QB and a solid roster.

Now the real issue the roster if you were a GM of an exp NFL team and could take any players off our roster going forward how many guys would you take PS2 Quinn and Mims. Next year we might have 100 mil cap space but, it will go fast with all our holes throughout roster. A trade up to 4 we need a promise the guy will be Burrow Allen Jackson or Mahomes with our talent. Ownership stated they want to build via the draft blowing so many high draft assets with a Swiss cheese roster DOESN'T add you to me.

I want a QBOTF so bad and understand you have to take risks to strike gold. Being the biggest wheeler dealer guy myself I think Denver needs to stockpile draft assets and fill out this roster better. I think doing another RW SP type move this quick could put us in old DET and CLEV levels if we don't hit jackpot. I don't envy the FO one bit but, I hope we approach April 25th as a 3 yr plan vs quick fix splash move.

Anyways Happy Easter my friends
Great post Paul

Drafting a QB is a lot like a trip down to the docks at midnight -- you never know what is waiting for you !!

I don't disagree with anything you have said ... Considering all the options, right now, I lean towards taking Bo Nix, preferably by trading down, but if we used the #12 on him, I'd be fine with that