• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Revision History: Which Super Bowl outcome would you change?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our beloved Broncos have three epic Super Bowl wins, but have been on the wrong side of five pretty epic Super Bowl losses. Let's take a not-so-pleasant stroll down that lane, shall we?

Cowboys 27, Broncos 10
Giants 39, Broncos 20
Redskins 42, Broncos 10
49ers 55, Broncos 10
Seahawks 43, Broncos 8

We are post-draft and pre-camp. While we're still excited about the potential from this draft class, let's face it: in football terms this is still a slow news time of year. So let's consider these five epic Super Bowl losses and my question is simple: if you could change one which one would it be?

I've thought about this off and on for years, but it wasn't until the Broncos utterly dismantled the Panthers that my answer went solid and stayed that way.

The outcome I'd change if I could is the Broncos very first Super Bowl. Ironically enough this is the only one that happened before I was even born. The reason I'd pick this one is I think of all the Super Bowls this one changes the ensuing arc of the team the least. I wouldn't want to undo either of Elway's wins by changing any of his losses. If anything those 3 losses make the wins that much more special.

To a lesser extent the same can be said about Manning. While he played more time with another franchise, Manning's stint with the Broncos was so meaningful it made him pound for pound as much Broncos as he was Colt. Losing a Super Bowl in epic fashion before redeeming oneself seems to be a Broncos QB rite of passage.

But then we have that very first Broncos Super Bowl team. There was no redemption for poor old Craig Morton. The way the Broncos allowed Elway and Manning, two of the games most prolific QBs ever, to retire on the heels of a Lombardi (or two) is truly epic. I wouldn't want to undo that by tinkering with history. I wouldn't hesitate to tinker with history in the late 70s though. I can almost hear Foreigner's "Feels Like the First Time" blaring though Mile High Stadium on Christmas Eve of 1977: The Broncos first ever playoff game. (For those who don't trust me check your Billboard history: Feels Like the First Time peaked at #4 earlier in 1977!)

Of course we all know what happened. The Broncos first ever playoff game was against the Pittsburg Steelers, a team with whom the Broncos have a very under-rated rivalry and have played in the post-season more than any other. Then there was that AFCCG against the hated Raiders.

And of course, the Super Bowl loss to the Cowboys.

In 1978 the NFL went from 14 games to 16 in the regular season. The Broncos managed 10-6 in both 1978 and 1979, losing to the Steelers and Oilers respectively in the first round before missing the playoffs outright in 1980, 1981, and 1982. And we all know what happened after 1982.

I can't prove this. You can't prove a counter-factual. All one can do is speculate. But I have a hunch with the change in schedule in 1978, the outcomes to the Broncos season in the final years of the 1970s and first years of the 1980s would not have changed a whole lot had the Broncos pulled the upset over the Cowboys. And that John Elway would have inherited a team that had one "cinderella story" Super Bowl win, but was otherwise just a small town fly-over football operation. And from there let the Broncos history in the Elway era, and everything that follows, the good, the bad, and the downright ugly (XXIV) remain unchanged.

So that's my revisionist history. Before you share yours, pour yourself a bourbon or whatever it is you like. It might help with your answer!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I could change any it would be the 55-10 beatdown to the 49ers. I wasn't alive for the Cowboys loss, so mentally it doesn't matter to me. The Giants and Redskins loss I was very young but do remember the games (mostly the Redskins not much of the Giants, I was 6 for the Giants and 7 for the Redskins but was more worried about what flavor of Kool-Aid I was getting at the Super Bowl party my parents took me to during those games. I think the Redskins Super Bowl loss is really when I started to really understand what was going on and fully fell in love with the Broncos...

The 49ers/Broncos super Bowl beatdown I remember my parents had a Super Bowl Party and I was pretty upset getting beatdown in that game. I have a moment I will never forget after this game. I can remember my parents walking the last people from the party to the front door and me sitting in my dad's chair furious about the loss thinking "I hope we get them again next year", that was the first time in my life a loss of any sports team really crushed my heart. I was hooked from there. That offseason is when I watched my first NFL Draft and then it was 100% obsession from there.

So yeah... then again... Maybe that game made me the Crazy football Monster I am today!!! ;)

(So with that being said you guys may want to select the 49ers/Broncos Super Bowl as the one you would most like to change because then maybe you wouldn't have had me around these neck of the woods today, never thought about it like that until I answered this question) The game gave me some drive ;)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome post @iknowftbll Great/creative question. We are in the month of May. Need stuff like this to keep us going in the offseason after the draft is complete. Sure beats people having to read posts about my obsession for Marvin Mims and Troy Franklin all off-season.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Jan 15th 1978 like it was last week .... I was outside on my Flexible Flyer sled - it had snowed here in NJ that weekend, and I had gone to the neighbor's house because they had a good sized front hill ..

My Mom apparently had a hard time finding me because she thought I was in the back yard .... Anyways, she gets me in the house because the Cowboys Broncos game was approaching ...

She then told me something I didn't understand, but found compelling : during the pregame - the televised pregame - it was reported that some type of practitioner had concluded that the Cowboys would win because of tests on biorhythms and each team ..

( I still don't know what it meant )

The loss was crushing to me ...

But that is not the game I'd change

Part of what made the first Broncos SB victory vs GB so great was the demoralizing losses to the Cowboys, Giants, 'Skins and 9ers ...

I'm sure everyone here remembers the feeling of hearing "the Broncos don't even belong in the SB, they'll fold again .. send another AFC team ...Elway can't win the big game, etc etc" ... Leading up to that SB vs GB, the NFC had reeled off 13 straight SB victories and 15 of the previous 16 ...

I only saw my Dad cry three times in my life ... Two times it was because of loss of life .. The other time was when John Mobley knocked down that Brett Farve pass and the Broncos secured the win ....

It would have been great in any manner, but what made that win so amazing was the heartbreaking lead up over the years ...

I am left with only one game, and that is the Hawks SB rout in Giants Stadium ...

As bad as the disappointments were with the pre Shanny Broncos, that is what made the first one so special

Last edited:

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sometimes hear that you "can find anything" on the internet

But I didn't think that meant everything ...

I cannot believe I just found this ...

The first year of experimentation with biorhythms culminated in a 27-10 Super Bowl victory over the Denver Broncos. Brandt said after the game that he had "spent at least 100 hours in four months" studying the charts, and so he surely saw it coming when Broncos' quarterback Craig Morton threw four picks amid an intellectual low. Brandt was a believer—"I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of the knowledge I want to gain on biorhythms," he said—but he sympathized with the Broncos' plight: "How do you bench a quarterback that helped you get to the Super Bowl just because his biorhythms are down that day?"
It's unlikely any team used biorhythms as extensively as the Cowboys, who did everything differently. They were the first team to integrate computers into their scouting, developing a continually updated, Madden NFL-like player-attribute rating system. "We were sort of light years ahead of anybody else," Brandt says. The advances brought an incredible stock of talent, two Super Bowl wins, and maybe an eventual Hall of Fame jacket for the 82-year-old Brandt.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point Lucas. That feeling when John Mobley knocked down the Favre pass would have never been the same without those loses (still exciting but nothing else was like that moment in my sports life, not sure anything can top that moment/feeling) Not even the moment when we drafted Josey Jewell, Patrick Surtain, Marvin Mims or Troy Franklin. ;)

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats about as compelling an argument there is for their first SB loss. Id almost agree completely, and really don't disagree.

I just think for the qb he was, Manning deserves to have a third win. But more than that, Champ Bailey deserved one. So I'm voting 2013.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats about as compelling an argument there is for their first SB loss. Id almost agree completely, and really don't disagree.

I just think for the qb he was, Manning deserves to have a third win. But more than that, Champ Bailey deserved one. So I'm voting 2013.

Ohhhh, great points. Plus with that being said if we change the Seahawks/Broncos Super Bowl we still get the special extra feeling when Mobley knocks down that pass. Truth be told if we win a SB before the Packers SB, Elway perhaps retires earlier then we would have liked and maybe we don't get those two anyway. ;)

Ok, you and Lucas have convinced me.. I gave the wrong answer.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This one is another that I constantly think about. I think it completely changes the face of where the franchise would have been in the following years, and likely removes that win over the Panthers. Maybe Brock Osweiler would have panned out as our QB!

Who knows? It's just a thought exercise so anything is fair game.

Reactions: LGM

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure we one of the places - reporters and commentators go to get ideas to write about or comment upon.
Not to mention coaches go to get advice on how to run the team.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys lose all of their Super Bowl trips.

America's Team.

4f6209cc527daa98209af5407e459f6f.gif