• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you trade up for Sammy Watkins?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if I'm Detroit, the above logic should be a no brainer. They already have good receivers and more than enough passing offense. it comes down to Stafford anyway, not another WR.

agree they shouldn't trade up for another WR, even if its Watkins or Evans. so guess this is just another smoke screen, albeit a poor one.

exactly, a porous smoke screen to say the least but the Lions are getting to be known as that team that drafts WRs over n over lol... so a little spooky for Lions fans...

Stafford needs protection, defense needs helps in coverage, defense needs help in tacklers, defense needs depth, RB may be ok with Bush n Leshoure, Stafford needs better protection, defense needs a gritty hard hitter back in the backfield(Pryor?), Stafford REALLY needs help at OL, Megatron needs a dinobot.

lol :suds:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they go WR that would be a very bad job by them.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
after reading that article on mmqb, i wouldn't want Watkins. almost all his catches are around or behind the LOS. That makes me question his route running abilities.
Sammy Watkins has potential to redefine wideout position in the NFL | The MMQB with Peter King

scroll down and look at the chart
:doh:
Have you ever watched him play more than 4 games (full games) since being enrolled at Clemson? It amazes me how you allow one piece of source lead you to that final conclusion. What you just did is like taking a college course, skipped classes throughout the whole semester, then you realize the final exam is simply to write a 15 page pager. So what you attempt to do in order to pass that class is you read one in depth article you found in the school library archives. That 15 page paper was constructed based on that in depth article you read 2 days before the paper was due. However, what about the notes the other students had recorded from each class session?! How about other educational materials that the professor had distributed in class throughout the year. How about the required textbooks you were suppose to read (in this scenario it would be to watch all Clemson games).

Your comment is reminiscent to people's assessment of Percy Harvin coming out of college saying that he would be a failure in the league as a WR because he was mostly used as a RB in college. Percy never ran an NFL route, etc. Your job as a scout is to evaluate project and assess how a player will fit your scheme. Do you think Clemson's scheme is a mirror image of a present day NFL team's offense?! If not, does that mean that Watkins will not be able to adjust and fit nicely by being an impact player in an NFL offense?

Last edited by a moderator:

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever watched him play more than 4 games (full games) since being enrolled at Clemson? It amazes me how you allow one piece of source lead you to that final conclusion. What you just did is like taking a college course, skipped classes throughout the whole semester, then you realize the final exam is simply to write a 15 page pager. So what you attempt to do in order to pass that class is you read one in depth article you found in the school library archives. That 15 page paper was constructed based on that in depth article you read 2 days before the paper was due. However, what about the notes the other students had recorded from each class session?! How about other educational materials that the professor had distributed in class throughout the year. How about the required textbooks you were suppose to read (in this scenario it would be to watch all Clemson games).

Your comment is reminiscent to people's assessment of Percy Harvin coming out of college saying that he would be a failure in the league as a WR because he was mostly used as a RB in college. Percy never ran an NFL route, etc. Your job as a scout is to evaluate project and assess how a player will fit your scheme. Do you think Clemson's scheme is a mirror image of a present day NFL team's offense?! If not, does that mean that Watkins will not be able to adjust and fit nicely by being an impact player in an NFL offense?

One piece of source? that freakin chart was like 8 games dude. over half of his catches in those games were schemed, not playmaking stuff. don't get me wrong, Watkins looks good, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sammy Watkins - WR - Tigers

Detroit has "made it clear" to Clemson WR Sammy Watkins that they're "very serious" about trading up for him, reports NFL.com's Ian Rapoport.

Of course, that doesn't mean they'll be able to consummate a move up the board into the top five, as the cost of such a transaction could be prohibitive. Still, Detroit's interest in adding a legitimate No. 2 complement to Calvin Johnson has been widely reported for some time, and the Lions will absolutely jump on an offer to move up for Watkins or Texas A&M's Mike Evans if the price is right.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

May 6 - 10:28 PM

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Detroit has "made it clear" to Clemson WR Sammy Watkins that they're "very serious" about trading up for him, reports NFL.com's Ian Rapoport.

Of course, that doesn't mean they'll be able to consummate a move up the board into the top five, as the cost of such a transaction could be prohibitive. Still, Detroit's interest in adding a legitimate No. 2 complement to Calvin Johnson has been widely reported for some time, and the Lions will absolutely jump on an offer to move up for Watkins or Texas A&M's Mike Evans if the price is right.

but "if the price is right" applies to ALL trades.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised by how many people seem down on Watkins. I think he is the best receiver in the draft and if the Niners did draft him he would be the best WR on the team. Not saying we should trade up that far for high though

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would be sick if they teamed Watkins with Megatron, just sick. I don't however believe that they get Watkins. They have other areas to address and can easily get a #2 receiver in the 2nd.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this makes no sense to me... Never took Caldwell as an offensive guru so who's the OC? this doesn't look good for Lions' fans if Det actually makes a play to move n get Watkins....

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a fool.

Why? Its my opinion. Watkins does his work behind the line of Scrimmage. Evans is a more true WR. Depending on the offense you run Evans is better for most teams.

I Like Evans.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be sick if they teamed Watkins with Megatron, just sick. I don't however believe that they get Watkins. They have other areas to address and can easily get a #2 receiver in the 2nd.

Lions need defensive help. They can't stop anybody. They need secondary help and would be better off drafting Gilbert.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eloquently stated Bingo. Watkins will make an impact and hopefully it's not with the Rams. I would hate for the Niners to face him twice a year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong Watkins is good but he has a chance to be a Bust. Im not saying I wouldn't draft him but I just feel Evans is the safer bet. I might be wrong but I guess we will find out in a year or 2.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eloquently stated Bingo. Watkins will make an impact and hopefully it's not with the Rams. I would hate for the Niners to face him twice a year.

unfortunately, the Rams will get a top prospect no matter. they were in the right place, at the right time, with a willing trade partner.

if they take Greg Robinson and he does become that 'monster' LT, IMO that hurts us more. cause he can already run block taking a little pressure off the passing game. add pass protect and he keeps anyone off their QB. given time, their QB won't even need a Watkins to do damage.

IF he becomes that monster LT?

Last edited by a moderator: