• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you trade up for Sammy Watkins?

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice if you would stop equating team success to QB success. No doubt those things are regularly intertwined on some level but at some extremes they can almost be mutually exclusive as well.

Not blowing timeouts/taking horrible delay of game penalties and not running away from ghosts when all you have to do is step up in the pocket are just as much crucial aspects of QB play as "winning," whatever that means.

This

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It would be nice if you would stop equating team success to QB success. No doubt those things are regularly intertwined on some level but at some extremes they can almost be mutually exclusive as well.

Not blowing timeouts/taking horrible delay of game penalties and not running away from ghosts when all you have to do is step up in the pocket are just as much crucial aspects of QB play as "winning," whatever that means.

Did you just agree with yourself?

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you just agree with yourself?

Mainly a bump because that most basic of all points continues to elude Purgs

But I also agree with it. I think it was a phenomenal point, in my humble opinion

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please pay attention. It is the going rate for guys entering FA. Kap is not entering FA. He is under contract for less than $1 million. That drastically reduces his bargaining power.

The benefit of Kap's winning - at least so far as his bargaining power goes - is mitigated by the fact that Alex Smith also won with this same team. Smith's success STRONGLY suggests that Kap is not the primary reason that the team has performed well.

And while Romo has not won, he received his new contract coming off a season in which he carried his team. He threw for 4,903 yards and 28 TDs in 2012. That's 53% more yards and 33% more TDs than Kaepernick had this year. Romo has decent weapons, primarily in Bryant and Witten, but that's about it. The year of his contract extension, PFF ranked his OL 22nd, and 26th in pass blocking. Murray is a good back, but he can't stay healthy. In 2012, they ranked 31st in rushing yards and tied for 27th in rushing TDs. The defense was 19th in yards and 25th in points. Romo was the offense on that team. Hell, in 2012, he was that team. The same can hardly be said of Kaepernick.

Cutler hasn't produced as much as Romo, but he still had 40 more YPG than Kap this year, a completion percentage five points higher, and averaged almost a half-TD more a game. Not to mention he took almost one sack less a game than Kaepernick despite a better OL. Cutler's contract is also fairly team friendly, very easy for them to get out of after three years. Even so, the Bears' decision to give Cutler that much money is one of the great mysteries, IMO.

He is the main reason they have performed well in the playoffs. Pay attention. Who cares about Yards. :L

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He is the main reason they have performed well in the playoffs. Pay attention. Who cares about Yards. :L

the 49ers are a good TEAM and that is the main reason the 49ers have performed well in the play-offs. the 49ers are especially good on D, not as good on O, this is well known. why aren't they as good on O, considering the 49ers have a good running game?

Kaep IS a good QB and no one is saying he isn't, the question is if he's $18M/year, long term commitment good? you can easily defend this by citing how good a passer he is, citing his consistent passing skills, citing his RZ scoring via the pass.

NFL QB's MUST be able to pass and pass consistently, that is the main (first) criteria you judge them on. why? because that is just the way the NFL is set up. all of today's top NFL QB's are known for their passing skills, and most can't run well. they are feared because they can pick you apart via the pass, not because they can run or have won games.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense has been better then the D in the playoffs the last 2 years. I agree 49ers are a good team and thats why they win but in the playoffs Kap has been good. Just look at the 2 GB games, Superbowl and the Atlanta game. Offense even looked good against Car.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The offense has been better then the D in the playoffs the last 2 years. I agree 49ers are a good team and thats why they win but in the playoffs Kap has been good. Just look at the 2 GB games, Superbowl and the Atlanta game. Offense even looked good against Car.

yes Kaep is good, but is he consistently good PASSING the ball? is he a good passer in the red zone? you are not saying he is a good passer, just saying he is good and wins...............he is good and wins............

go ahead and address his passing skills, cause that is the concern everyone else has? if you can justify his passing skills, everyone will get off your back. else, saying "he is good and wins".....doesn't get you anywhere in this discussion.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wins is all that matters. I don't want to see 4-12 and 6-10 seasons. I like what I have seen from this team in the last 3 years.

49ers are going to sign Kap to a long term deal so get ready for it.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wins is all that matters. I don't want to see 4-12 and 6-10 seasons. I like what I have seen from this team in the last 3 years.

It seems that most 9er threads end up in a debate about Kap. Oh well. I don't think any 9er fan wants to lose a game let alone have a shit season as in days past. Kap will be offered his new contract soon. We will see if he and his agent like it enough to sign for a longer term. As far as 'Wins is all that matters' ask a Bills fan who saw their team lose four straight SBs how good those wins did for them.The only win that counts is the SB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yes likely, and it certainly wouldn't kill me, but you never know if it'll be now or next off-season? if it is next off-season, you never know how Kaep does this coming season?

I'm NOT rooting against him one iota, but you never know how things go? if his passing skills remain the same after another full season, you just never know?

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you think that Kaep is a good to great QB then you must think that Michael Vick is a HOFer. They are the same QB, yes they can be entertaining, but the point is to win, and what has Kaep won? The complaint for Romo is that he cannot win the big one, same for Cutler. For years that same complaint has been used for Manning and he once again lived up to that expectation this year. From what I have scene, Kaep cannot win the big games either, so why would we reward this? Do you want to turn in the Cowboys? If you think Kaep is worth 18-20MM then you must think Alex Smith is worth the same as he got the same result as Kaep, they ended up in the same place, and that is in the losers bracket.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think that Kaep is a good to great QB then you must think that Michael Vick is a HOFer. They are the same QB, yes they can be entertaining, but the point is to win, and what has Kaep won? The complaint for Romo is that he cannot win the big one, same for Cutler. For years that same complaint has been used for Manning and he once again lived up to that expectation this year. From what I have scene, Kaep cannot win the big games either, so why would we reward this? Do you want to turn in the Cowboys? If you think Kaep is worth 18-20MM then you must think Alex Smith is worth the same as he got the same result as Kaep, they ended up in the same place, and that is in the losers bracket.

:laugh3:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no...

First run at NFC, defense better than offense

SB run, offense better than defense

Last yr, def better than off

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Several months ago someone had countered my argument in claiming that Evans, despite being a lesser talent couldn't go higher in the draft than Watkins. Solely because of size, GMs may fall in love with him coupled with his other skill set that brings to the table. If he goes before Watkins though that would be a huge mistake by that organization.

Mike Evans - WR - Aggies

ESPN's John Clayton believes "if the price isn't too expensive, the Detroit Lions would like to move up a few spots" to draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans.

With the Lions sitting at the No.10 spot, they may have to move up to the No.3 spot to secure the right to draft Evans. Some evaluators believe Evans could be higher on the Browns board than WR Sammy Watkins sitting at the No.4 spot. Our own Josh Norris seconds that emotion, and has Mike Evans slated to the Browns at No. 4 in his latest mock draft.
Source: ESPN.com

May 5 - 2:14 PM

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several months ago someone had countered my argument in claiming that Evans, despite being a lesser talent couldn't go higher in the draft than Watkins. Solely because of size, GMs may fall in love with him coupled with his other skill set that brings to the table. If he goes before Watkins though that would be a huge mistake by that organization.

Mike Evans - WR - Aggies

ESPN's John Clayton believes "if the price isn't too expensive, the Detroit Lions would like to move up a few spots" to draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans.

With the Lions sitting at the No.10 spot, they may have to move up to the No.3 spot to secure the right to draft Evans. Some evaluators believe Evans could be higher on the Browns board than WR Sammy Watkins sitting at the No.4 spot. Our own Josh Norris seconds that emotion, and has Mike Evans slated to the Browns at No. 4 in his latest mock draft.

His ability to use his size and body to ward off defenders and go after the ball at it's highest point will translate very well to the NFL though. I'd say even more so than in college since the NFL is a much more physical game and it's much harder to get separation.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Mike Evans - WR - Aggies

In my opinion, a player like Sammy Watkins is a better complement to Josh Gordon or Calvin Johnson than Mike Evans. That being said, I can see why CLE or DET would want to replicate a Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery like pairing. I know Stafford would love it.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike Evans - WR - Aggies

I'd imagine Detroit has an avg # of draft picks this yr, with that said, what's their rationale for this assumption/rumor? With a deep WR class, they can hit that elsewhere... they really need to upgrade that secondary, OL, LBs, yes WR needs a boost but no need to go crazy for one.

Wait for a Arob, Lee, Latimar, Matthews etc... later in the draft and help out the rest of the team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd imagine Detroit has an avg # of draft picks this yr, with that said, what's their rationale for this assumption/rumor? With a deep WR class, they can hit that elsewhere... they really need to upgrade that secondary, OL, LBs, yes WR needs a boost but no need to go crazy for one.

Wait for a Arob, Lee, Latimar, Matthews etc... later in the draft and help out the rest of the team.

if I'm Detroit, the above logic should be a no brainer. They already have good receivers and more than enough passing offense. it comes down to Stafford anyway, not another WR.

agree they shouldn't trade up for another WR, even if its Watkins or Evans. so guess this is just another smoke screen, albeit a poor one.