• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The offseason stuff thread

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm slow but what assets does Vegas have right now to get Karlsson? They didn't draft in the first round this year and didn't draft until #61 so trading a first round pick is off the table. Plenty of second rounders (5 picks over the next two drafts) but that won't do much to get someone like Karlsson. They don't have the roster pieces to move for him without significantly weakening the lineup making such a trade pointless and the few prospects are so-so and they have already shown an unwillingness to move the best of them (Glass).

Vegas did okay in free agency. They can still improve from whats left, they can pull off a smaller trade or two and they can keep their best non-roster assets for the future which they need to considering they are still a baby franchise but I don't see anything they could do to entice the Sens for EK unless Melnyk's really in self destruct mode.

/As an aside, I just noticed now that Tomas Tatar is signed for another three years at $5.3 mil AAV. That might've been the best trade Ken Holland has ever made. Ouch.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suzuki is "so-so"?

Brannstrom?
Yes? Especially so when considering that they can't pair those guys either a) together or b) with anything else of value.

Like I said, Ottawa's the HQ of making boneheaded moves right now so maybe they can take Dorion for another ride but it would be pretty surprising.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BUST!!!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_onp9ctVoNW1viy6gjo1_500.gif

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm slow but what assets does Vegas have right now to get Karlsson? They didn't draft in the first round this year and didn't draft until #61 so trading a first round pick is off the table. Plenty of second rounders (5 picks over the next two drafts) but that won't do much to get someone like Karlsson. They don't have the roster pieces to move for him without significantly weakening the lineup making such a trade pointless and the few prospects are so-so and they have already shown an unwillingness to move the best of them (Glass).

Vegas did okay in free agency. They can still improve from whats left, they can pull off a smaller trade or two and they can keep their best non-roster assets for the future which they need to considering they are still a baby franchise but I don't see anything they could do to entice the Sens for EK unless Melnyk's really in self destruct mode.

/As an aside, I just noticed now that Tomas Tatar is signed for another three years at $5.3 mil AAV. That might've been the best trade Ken Holland has ever made. Ouch.

You can probably say it for Tampa too.

This whole Karlson saga is mind numbing. Dourin and Mlynick(sp) are probably two of the three stupidest people who have ANYTHING TO DO WITH HOCKEY (Jim Benning is the 3rd).

This guy is Your Franchise. Hell I would go as far as saying that he is Mr. Senator.

Pay the man!!!!!

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this is definitely an interesting take....

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Presuming a trade partner can work out an extension ahead of time, what does it take to get EK out of Ottawa?

He's got a 10-team NTC, so you have to figure some of the bottom-feeders and/or bad markets are out. Multiple firsts, top 6 forward, and a highly rated prospect?

The only real comparable I can think of in the post lockout world would be the two Pronger deals, unless someone else is dumb enough to do this straight-up a la Weber for Subban.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Presuming a trade partner can work out an extension ahead of time, what does it take to get EK out of Ottawa?

He's got a 10-team NTC, so you have to figure some of the bottom-feeders and/or bad markets are out. Multiple firsts, top 6 forward, and a highly rated prospect?

The only real comparable I can think of in the post lockout world would be the two Pronger deals, unless someone else is dumb enough to do this straight-up a la Weber for Subban.

Karlsson for Larsson E4

Last edited:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wishful thinking but the Devils could afford the Ryan contract and could put together a pretty decent package for Karlsson. Also kills 2 birds with one stone for the Devils, they desperately need a top end defenseman and he'd take a ton of pressure off of Hall.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like, if it were TB like fudge says it starts 100% with Sergachev and one of their prospects (they're pretty flush). I'd probably want Point too but maybe they take Johnson and a first rounder instead? And then TB gotta dump salary somehow (and I don't know WTF happens to Kucherov next year but eff it, banners fly forever).

What muddles things is they still seem to be trying to tie Bobby Ryan to any Karlsson trade, which is actual insanity. Who at the bottom of the NHL's cap hits actually has both the space and the attractiveness to do so? NJ? They have the space and Shero's likes his deals but are they really an EK away from contention?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like, if it were TB like fudge says it starts 100% with Sergachev and one of their prospects (they're pretty flush). I'd probably want Point too but maybe they take Johnson and a first rounder instead? And then TB gotta dump salary somehow (and I don't know WTF happens to Kucherov next year but eff it, banners fly forever).

What muddles things is they still seem to be trying to tie Bobby Ryan to any Karlsson trade, which is actual insanity. Who at the bottom of the NHL's cap hits actually has both the space and the attractiveness to do so? NJ? They have the space and Shero's likes his deals but are they really an EK away from contention?
If they move EK and Ryan, that puts Ottawa WAY below the cap floor too, no? I'd expect there's some retained salary on Ryan to make it happen.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they move EK and Ryan, that puts Ottawa WAY below the cap floor too, no? I'd expect there's some retained salary on Ryan to make it happen.
They'd be $7.35m under if they ditch both salaries entirely and take nothing back. Mark Stone's new deal alone would probably make up most of that and they'd still have some roster spots to fill but I'd assume if they're dumping Ryan they'd have to take a contract back in return.

But then Anderson wants to leave, which would pull them back by $4.75m, and at some point this year they're almost 100% guaranteed to move Duchene so they'll have to manage that pro-rated down the road, so yeah, they're probably gonna have to make up some cap hits somewhere.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd be $7.35m under if they ditch both salaries entirely and take nothing back. Mark Stone's new deal alone would probably make up most of that and they'd still have some roster spots to fill but I'd assume if they're dumping Ryan they'd have to take a contract back in return.

But then Anderson wants to leave, which would pull them back by $4.75m, and at some point this year they're almost 100% guaranteed to move Duchene so they'll have to manage that pro-rated down the road, so yeah, they're probably gonna have to make up some cap hits somewhere.

We could trade them Beagle and Roussel for draft picks that would account $6.25 M

:becky:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Martin to NYI for Scrub Goalie

Total Lou move. I love Lou but his approach is antiquated. Rather than make a splash to compliment Barzal and company or fully commit to a rebuild he'll keep making patchwork moves that don't help at all in the long term.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total Lou move. I love Lou but his approach is antiquated. Rather than make a splash to compliment Barzal and company or fully commit to a rebuild he'll keep making patchwork moves that don't help at all in the long term.

Maybe we need to start calling him patchy!!!!

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Penguins did the rest of the NHL a solid by locking him up for a long time.
Just think they got out of Hunwicks salary to take this on...let that sink in for a little while....
:pout: