• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roster Projection

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
should there be one more 'Gunner'? someone who also covers kick-offs? not pushing had to get rid of Celek, but maybe that is a spot to target? MacDonald can catch as well right?

or use that 3rd TE spot for another OLB such, as Cam Johnson?

I agree on Celek. Don't think we carry 5 olb'stho

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maiocco's take:

49ers: 53-man roster projection | CSN Bay Area

Biggest shock has got to be Bubba Ventrone. I'd be a bit surprised if they kept Gray rather than putting him on the PS. I don;t see a serious threat that another team would steal him at this point. Though he's basically a WR/TE hybrid, so you could easily justify keeping four TEs if we only have five WRs. Same with Cooper; I think he's safe on the PS.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree on Celek. Don't think we carry 5 olb'stho

This team absolutely needs at least two TEs at all times. Our top-two TEs are practically starters, so you need a "backup." And at this point, Celek is the much better blocker than McDonald. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't stick.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maiocco's take:

49ers: 53-man roster projection | CSN Bay Area

Biggest shock has got to be Bubba Ventrone. I'd be a bit surprised if they kept Gray rather than putting him on the PS. I don;t see a serious threat that another team would steal him at this point. Though he's basically a WR/TE hybrid, so you could easily justify keeping four TEs if we only have five WRs. Same with Cooper; I think he's safe on the PS.

I read that this morning and those were definitely the two things that jumped out to me as well. I honestly didn't even recognize the name Bubba Ventrone! Gray is prime PS material. I have a gut feeling that Cooper makes the team. If Jenkins didn't take up all the headlines, he'd probably be getting a lot more attention. Really wouldn't mind having one young CB on the team, and stashing the other on the PS. Brock had plenty of time and I just don't see him magically turning into a good player. Maybe one of the young corners can leapfog him.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that this morning and those were definitely the two things that jumped out to me as well. I honestly didn't even recognize the name Bubba Ventrone! Gray is prime PS material. I have a gut feeling that Cooper makes the team. If Jenkins didn't take up all the headlines, he'd probably be getting a lot more attention. Really wouldn't mind having one young CB on the team, and stashing the other on the PS. Brock had plenty of time and I just don't see him magically turning into a good player. Maybe one of the young corners can leapfog him.

I agree that Cooper may stick because of his size and the need of CBs next year. Also might get Morris on PS. Gray should be on the PS Ventrone may stick because of his relationship with Seely. Wallace don't make the team IMO

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Gray I believe winds up on the practice squad. We kept 3 TE last season and I don't see us making it 4 this season.

I'm not sold on Wallace making the roster as I still believe he's a guy that's there to push McCoy and Tolzien but we'll see how he does.

I don't see Bubba Ventrone making the roster especially just for ST value as we have guys that can provide ST value while still having a chance to contribute on the field (ie Cam Johnson). Craig Dahl will likely serve as the personal protector as I believe that's what his role was with the Rams last season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This team absolutely needs at least two TEs at all times. Our top-two TEs are practically starters, so you need a "backup." And at this point, Celek is the much better blocker than McDonald. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't stick.

last season and so far this off-season, don't recall reading Celek being a good blocker? in the last pre-season game, didn't TV isolate him on at least two plays? he didn't block well for both plays.

if Celek is a 'poor' blocker, and McDonald a 'bad' blocker, you'd be correct, that Celek is better than McDonald. but since neither would be good blockers, why keep Celek?

anyway, if they do keep Celek no problem. just tossing out an idea where we might save a spot for an OLB, or Special Teamer.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
last season and so far this off-season, don't recall reading Celek being a good blocker? in the last pre-season game, didn't TV isolate him on at least two plays? he didn't block well for both plays.

if Celek is a 'poor' blocker, and McDonald a 'bad' blocker, you'd be correct, that Celek is better than McDonald. but since neither would be good blockers, why keep Celek?

anyway, if they do keep Celek no problem. just tossing out an idea where we might save a spot for an OLB, or Special Teamer.

I only caught about the first quarter of the last game, so I can't speak to what Celek did in that one. But he's much more experienced as a blocker than McDonald. We need bodies at that position. Last year our backup TEs played over 2/3 of the snaps. That's basically a starting position. We can't go into the season without a "backup." Especially given how thin we are at WR until and unless Manningham and Crabtree get back.

At some point, the "best 53 make the roster" rule doesn't work. Snyder almost certainly isn't one of the best 53 on talent alone, but we don't have another OT who is better so we likely have to keep him. The same holds true at WR. And possibly at TE. Given the offense we run, we cannot afford losing a TE without someone to step in.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jon Baldwin - WR - 49ers

Jon Baldwin is considered a lock to make the 49ers' 53-man roster.

The 49ers are receiver needy, and also realize Baldwin needs "some time to become familiar with the offense" after being acquired on August 19. The franchise doesn't view Baldwin as a throwaway acquisition in the A.J. Jenkins trade. Beat writer Matt Maiocco believes Baldwin could emerge as San Francisco's No. 3 receiver soon, and potentially start at split end if he plays well.
Source: CSN Bay Area

Aug 24 - 1:31 PM

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin, Moore, and Patton should all make the team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I only caught about the first quarter of the last game, so I can't speak to what Celek did in that one. But he's much more experienced as a blocker than McDonald. We need bodies at that position. Last year our backup TEs played over 2/3 of the snaps. That's basically a starting position. We can't go into the season without a "backup." Especially given how thin we are at WR until and unless Manningham and Crabtree get back.

At some point, the "best 53 make the roster" rule doesn't work. Snyder almost certainly isn't one of the best 53 on talent alone, but we don't have another OT who is better so we likely have to keep him. The same holds true at WR. And possibly at TE. Given the offense we run, we cannot afford losing a TE without someone to step in.

just a follow up to Celek...........

Tight End

Vernon Davis

Vance McDonald

MarQueis Gray

Gerrett Celek simply hasn't had a very good preseason. He's struggled in run blocking; his primary responsibility. That gives the edge to Gray, who has upside, although he also needs to improve in that area. Don't be surprised to see the 49ers bring in a blocking TE after

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ok good, his blocking is on the positive side.

So while McDonald has shown a knack for making tough catches and athletic plays after the catch, the finer details of his game will be refined through his battles in the trenches.

Blocking, in particular, is a big part of McDonald’s development in the pro game. So far, he’s handling the responsibilities quite well.

“That’s something that has improved,” McDonald said. “Coach (Greg) Roman and Coach (Reggie) Davis have been trying to work with me on it every day.”

San Diego will be the latest opportunity for McDonald to hone his blocking talents before a grueling 16-game regular season schedule.

“I’ll be going against some big guys here in the season,” McDonald said. “It’s something I’m trying to work on.”

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
just a follow up to Celek...........

Tight End

Vernon Davis

Vance McDonald

MarQueis Gray

Gerrett Celek simply hasn't had a very good preseason. He's struggled in run blocking; his primary responsibility. That gives the edge to Gray, who has upside, although he also needs to improve in that area. Don't be surprised to see the 49ers bring in a blocking TE after

Yeah, I saw that. Celek has been a bit shaky at times, including the hold on the FG this week, but I still think he makes it over Gray. We'll find out soon, though.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Incidentally, that projection still has us keeping three TEs. I am very confident we will keep at least three TEs, even if one of them isn't yet on the roster.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawkins, Johnson, Jacobs and Daniels made strong arguements.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the explosive play ability of Hawkins. I would keep him on the 53 based on his explosiveness. I know he is playing against scrubs but he is dominating against scrubs. I would rather see Hawkins then Collie as Collie has played like dog shit and has shown suspect hands IMO with too many catchable balls being dropped. He dropped 2 tonight alone.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the explosive play ability of Hawkins. I would keep him on the 53 based on his explosiveness. I know he is playing against scrubs but he is dominating against scrubs. I would rather see Hawkins then Collie as Collie has played like dog shit and has shown suspect hands IMO with too many catchable balls being dropped. He dropped 2 tonight alone.

He looked good in back to back games but will we keep 6? With 2 on pup