• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roster Projection

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Figured the day of the first pre-season game was a good time to make another roster projection. Here goes.

QB (3)
Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, BJ Daniels
No surprises really. Tolzien has a shot, but all reports are that Daniels has looked good at QB, and is starting to look pretty good at WR as well. Versatility and athleticism wins out for the third spot.

RB (6)
Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Jewel Hampton, Anthony Dixon, Bruce Miller (Marcus Lattimore on IR or PUP)
We're heavy here, and this is the first place I'd cut if the need arose, but we're a running team first and foremost. DJ Harper has drawn rave reviews for his toughness and blocking. He has a chance to make the roster if he can transfer that toughness to coverage units, but I think he spends a year on the PS. Dixon is the last guy on the roster as far as I'm concerned. He's our biggest RB by far, and he's a good STs player, but I think he loses out to Hampton if it comes to it. For now I'm keeping him, though. We keep Hampton because I don't think he lasts on the PS, Gore is getting up there in age, Lattimore is an unknown, and Hunter is coming off an injury that has dramatically impacted RBs in the past. Hampton might be the best inside runner on the team behind Gore, depending on Hunter's return from the injury.

WR (6)
Anquan Boldin, AJ Jenkins, Kyle Williams, Quinton Patton, Marlon Moore, Austin Collie (Michael Crabtree and Mario Manningham on PUP)
By far the hardest position group to pick from. Given that Manningham hasn't even really started running yet, I think there's a pretty good chance he starts the season on the PUP. Q is a given. After that, anything goes. Collie is by far the most established of the remainder, if healthy, and Kap could use a little experience in the group. Patton is pretty safe at this point, and Jenkins would have to fall apart to lose his spot. Williams is the best return man of the group, though he could potentially be threatened by Hall, especially if James shows he can handle punts. Moore has STs value as a gunner and has been the most consistent outside receiver other than Boldin. Chad Hall likely loses out because he lacks versatility.

TE (3)
Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek
No real drama here at all. These three are pretty much a given.

OL (8)
Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney, Adam Snyder (Luke Marquardt on IR)
I would love to see one of the young OTs beat out Snyder, especially as he's just not a good OT, but he's been getting the snaps as the swing guy. There's a chance Kilgore bumps Goodwin, and I wouldn't mind seeing that happen, but I think the coaching staff goes for stability with a SB-caliber team and young QB.

DL (6)
Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Demarcus Dobbs, Will Tukuafu (Tank Carradine and Quinton Dial on PUP)
The only real question is whether one of the young guys gets healthy and bumps Tukuafu. Both backup DEs can contribute on offense, and Dobbs was on every STs unit before injury.

ILB (4)
Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
There is a legit chance we keep five here as these guys tend to be great STs contributors. I'd go with Nate Stupar if we keep a fifth. I load up at OLB, though.

OLB (6)
Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Dan Skuta, Cam Johnson, Corey Lemonier
Really heavy here, but pass rush is of huge importance in today's NFL. Skuta is a STs ace, and can back up ILB if need be. Lemonier also probably has the agility to play STs. The big question is whether we keep Johnson. He's a talented kid who has excelled in practice, and you can never have enough pass rushers. I think he sticks, especially if he can provide any value on STs.

CB (5)
Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Tramaine Brock, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox (Chris Culliver on IR)
I don't see a lot of mystery here, unless one of the young guys makes a push or we sign Eric Wright. The Culliver injury really cleaned up the picture on the back end.

S (4)
Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, CJ Spillman
We're thin here, and this is the obvious spot to add at the expense of a RB or OLB. At one point I thought Trent Robinson might develop into a pretty solid FS, but he's really short (granted with impressively long arms for his height) and we're not seeing it to date. He's PS eligible, and I'd be somewhat surprised if another team plucked him off waivers.

STs (3)
Andy Lee, Phil Dawson, Brian Jennings
No surprises here. Word is they like this young LS, but I'm not sold. Jennings is the most reliable in the business.

PS (8)
S Trent Robinson (if eligible; I believe he was only active for three games last year)
WR Chuck Jacobs
OL Carter Bykowski
DT Lawrence Okoye
CB Marcus Cooper
CB Darryl Morris
RB DJ Harper
TE Marqueis Gray

Odds are a couple of these guys will get picked up elsewhere, or we'll flesh out our PS from other rosters. Robinson was my last cut, and I'm still hoping he can make the roster at some point as we're likely to need a couple safeties this next offseason. We keep two CBs because we will lose 2-3, if not more, of our primary guys next year. Jacobs has looked pretty good in practice, but there's no room for him. Gray is versatile and could be a TE/WR hybrid. I'm hopeful Bykowski or Marquardt becomes our swing tackle in the future. I'd love to see Bykowski or Wiggins beat out Snyder, but I'm not counting on it at this point. Okoye sticks because he's a physical phenom, he's learning quickly, and he's only 21. It will still be an uphill battle for him, but I'm interested in seeing what he can do with a year or two under Tomsula.

Anyway, share your thoughts if you have any.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brock as our #3 is a shocking revelation. He made an impression on me as a rookie during the preseason games. However, doing garbage time last year he was picked on a lot by QBs trying to come up with a couple miracle drives. He also failed miserably in 2012 in the NFC Championship game. He passes the eyeball test, and I've read good things about him lately. I hope he has really developed his game to become that "gem".

Kyle Williams has been playing well in camp too. Not sure if Jenkins will end up being our #2. Hope he does win the job, but it seems to me that Kyle Williams is back to form. I just don't want him anywhere on the field fielding punts.

Last edited by a moderator:

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking forward to what some of these rookie defensive guys can do. There is a lot if potential there

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Brock as our #3 is a shocking revelation. He made an impression on me as a rookie during the preseason games. However, doing garbage time last year he was picked on a lot by QBs trying to come up with a couple miracle drives. He also failed miserably in 2012 in the NFC Championship game. He passes the eyeball test, and I've read good things about him lately. I hope he has really developed his game to become that "gem".

Kyle Williams has been playing well in camp too. Not sure if Jenkins will end up being our #2. Hope he does win the job, but it seems to me that Kyle Williams is back to form. I just don't want him anywhere on the field fielding punts.

Between Williams and James, I'll take Williams. Unless James has improved dramatically over last year's preseason.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
whats the story on Carradine n Dial in terms of injury?(if)

Not sure. Fangio recently said Carradine wasn't close, but I believe he said that because he felt the trainers would have told him if he was close. No real idea on either of them, but unless they get to practice soon, it'd be tough not to start them out on the PUP.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a pretty reasonable roster if injuries don't muck everything up.

Not excited at all about Brock as #3, as mentioned already he was often picked on by better QBs. I hope he has grown as a player and actually is the guy the coaches say he is today. Seems likely that he is since Fangio prides himself in being a no-BS type of guy. I still have a horrible memory of him against GB in 2010 when Rodgers just picked on him for at least 2 TD passes and a handful of 1st downs and an easy win for them... definitely don't want to see that from him week 1.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure. Fangio recently said Carradine wasn't close, but I believe he said that because he felt the trainers would have told him if he was close. No real idea on either of them, but unless they get to practice soon, it'd be tough not to start them out on the PUP.

thank you sir! I had hope Carradine was coming along from his injury but perhaps i'm just impatient

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seems like a pretty reasonable roster if injuries don't muck everything up.

Not excited at all about Brock as #3, as mentioned already he was often picked on by better QBs. I hope he has grown as a player and actually is the guy the coaches say he is today. Seems likely that he is since Fangio prides himself in being a no-BS type of guy. I still have a horrible memory of him against GB in 2010 when Rodgers just picked on him for at least 2 TD passes and a handful of 1st downs and an easy win for them... definitely don't want to see that from him week 1.

I'm curious to see what Brock does. It can be hard to come in cold and play effectively. And it's been almost two years since Brock saw regular action. That's a world of time for a young player. I don't love the thought of him as the third corner, and am less excited at the thought of trying to replace Rogers and Brown next year without knowing how Culliver is coming along, but that's the situation we're in.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really think Williams and Kaep can form a good connection. Showed it off a bit in the Bears game last year but if Williams stays healthy I think he will be a big part of this offense this year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
QB (3)
No surprises really. Tolzien has a shot, but all reports are that Daniels has looked good at QB, and is starting to look pretty good at WR as well. Versatility and athleticism wins out for the third spot.

he has?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
OLB (6)
Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Dan Skuta, Cam Johnson, Corey Lemonier
Really heavy here, but pass rush is of huge importance in today's NFL. Skuta is a STs ace, and can back up ILB if need be. Lemonier also probably has the agility to play STs. The big question is whether we keep Johnson. He's a talented kid who has excelled in practice, and you can never have enough pass rushers. I think he sticks, especially if he can provide any value on STs.

he has?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
CB (5)
Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Tramaine Brock, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox (Chris Culliver on IR)
I don't see a lot of mystery here, unless one of the young guys makes a push or we sign Eric Wright. The Culliver injury really cleaned up the picture on the back end.

this was probably written before the signing, so now that we have signed Wright, how will it......will it....affect this prediction?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PS (8)
S Trent Robinson (if eligible; I believe he was only active for three games last year)
WR Chuck Jacobs
OL Carter Bykowski
DT Lawrence Okoye
CB Marcus Cooper
CB Darryl Morris
RB DJ Harper
TE Marqueis Gray

not hating on anyone, but find it hard to believe Okoye will make the PS? no doubt a great story and if he does so great, but i'd guess he'll be part of the first cut down.

haven't read much on Gray so unless he "lights it up" on pre-season, don't see us keeping another swiss army knife?

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
QB (3)

he has?

Those are the reports. Live arm, good accuracy, mobile. I haven't heard a thing about Tolzien, but I almost see Tolzien as being in competition with McCoy more than Daniels. Third QB should be a developmental guy.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
OLB (6)

he has?

Yes. He was singled out during at least one practice as doing well in pass rush drills, and was cited by one of the beat guys as being the best OLB in setting the edge - though I'm admittedly skeptical of that as Haralson excels in that area.

Obviously this is piecing together snippets, but he's a guy who has been mentioned a couple times as looking good and showing tremendous improvement over last year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
CB (5)

this was probably written before the signing, so now that we have signed Wright, how will it......will it....affect this prediction?

It was. Tough to say how Wright's presence changes things. Cox seems to be the low man on the totem pole, but he's also the backup slot corner. Can Wright do that? I have no idea. If not, it may be a battle between Wright, Brock, and Asomugha for two spots. Or we could keep six and cut from somewhere like OLB or RB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It was. Tough to say how Wright's presence changes things. Cox seems to be the low man on the totem pole, but he's also the backup slot corner. Can Wright do that? I have no idea. If not, it may be a battle between Wright, Brock, and Asomugha for two spots. Or we could keep six and cut from somewhere like OLB or RB.

if i had to bet on it, Brock sticks and we'll see if Wright can make up for lost learning?

if it comes down to a RB or CB, rather keep six CB's.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Those are the reports. Live arm, good accuracy, mobile. I haven't heard a thing about Tolzien, but I almost see Tolzien as being in competition with McCoy more than Daniels. Third QB should be a developmental guy.

have read 'live arm' and i'm sure he has mobility. don't recall reading 'good accuracy'? anyway, no big deal.

agree the 3rd QB should be a developmental guy, so the better QB should stick. not better versatility, but better QB. if Harbaugh prefers versatility fine, place the 3rd QB on the PS. but in this scenario he only has two years to develop that QB, and most "3rd QB's" need more than two years?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
PS (8)
WR Chuck Jacobs
OL Carter Bykowski
DT Lawrence Okoye
CB Marcus Cooper
CB Darryl Morris
RB DJ Harper
TE Marqueis Gray

not hating on anyone, but find it hard to believe Okoye will make the PS? no doubt a great story and if he does so great, but i'd guess he'll be part of the first cut down.

haven't read much on Gray so unless he "lights it up" on pre-season, don't see us keeping another swiss army knife?

Okoye is a bit of a longshot, but the PS is a developmental squad. If he shows any ability in the preseason at all, I think he's got a legit chance. It's hard to picture a PS player with more upside. It may come down to whether Tomsula wants to keep working with him.

As for Gray, I haven't heard much. But we need help at receiver with most of the group set to be FA after next year. Gray is versatile, smart, and has good physical traits. I think he'll appeal to this coaching staff.

Who do you think sticks instead of Okoye and Gray?