• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deal with the ED is that of the guys exposed, only one of the defensemen exposed needs to meet the 40/70 rule, not all of them. I'm assuming one of Gilbert or Trotman will be playing in at least 35-40 games this season, which would then meet that requirement and they are eligible to be exposed (they both played between 35-45 games last season for their respective teams).

Gilbert will be an UFA, so not protected. Trotman, RFA, so assuming he meets the criteria, then yes, he would be exposed. (Hopefully not too good of season to temp Vegas)

But that brings up another question: Do teams with pending UFAs, who they would normally want to sign, but are not exactly franchise / core players, take to risk of not signing them prior to Expansion Draft??? I'm thinking if Gilbert has a decent season, and there is obvious mutual ground in terms of contract $$$ / term, maybe the Kings don't re-sign him until after Expansion???

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deal with the ED is that of the guys exposed, only one of the defensemen exposed needs to meet the 40/70 rule, not all of them. I'm assuming one of Gilbert or Trotman will be playing in at least 35-40 games this season, which would then meet that requirement and they are eligible to be exposed (they both played between 35-45 games last season for their respective teams).

Gilbert will be an UFA, so not protected. Trotman, RFA, so assuming he meets the criteria, then yes, he would be exposed. (Hopefully not too good of season to temp Vegas)

I think Trotman will make the 30+ games necessary to qualify to be exposed, but in order to expose him he will need to be tendered his MQO by June 15 - can't expose an RFA on an expiring contract without tendering the MQO per the rules (except a goalie).

I'm not too worried about his season, he is a 5-7 defender and the Kings have a lot of those; they need a legitimate T2 defender they have not been able to replace since the Voynov fiasco. Muzzin is decent but still not a legitimate T2, neither is Martinez or McNabb. All three are T3-4 defenders with Muzzin showing more of a T2/T3 hybrid skill set.

What that means is the Kings tendered him his offer, and he can either accept that and resign with LA immediately or negotiate throughout the summer whether that be in LA or Las Vegas (assuming he is picked). What that also means is if the Kings have no intention of keeping him, and he doesn't get picked up, now they need to get him signed or move him. Additional headaches with the RFAs.

But that brings up another question: Do teams with pending UFAs, who they would normally want to sign, but are not exactly franchise / core players, take to risk of not signing them prior to Expansion Draft??? I'm thinking if Gilbert has a decent season, and there is obvious mutual ground in terms of contract $$$ / term, maybe the Kings don't re-sign him until after Expansion???

A team can sign their UFAs prior to July 1, so if Gilbert has a good season and wants to stay in LA he can sign a contract with LA only until the July 1 open market date. That however brings up your point, if they signed him they clearly want him, so would you use a spot on that guy or leave him exposed and hope he doesn't get picked up even though the team signed him to a deal?

Now he too is a 5-7 defender these days (he was money for me in the FHL about 6-8 years ago in Edmonton - put up a bunch of points but killed me on +/-) so these types of guys I don't worry as much as better players, the Kings are littered with 5-7 defenders in the organization through experience (Greene/Scuderi) or young guys learning the ropes (Gravel/Forbert) so losing either one or both of Trotman or Gilbert (by ED and then not being resigned) won't kill them.

My thought would be to not sign him until after the ED, assuming he played well during the season, Las Vegas didn't take him and there is a need/room for him. No point in signing the guy only to possibly lose him to Vegas, which could change the complexion of which players to protect.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roy has always been like that, as he should be. No reason to ever stay in any situation you don't like, make your decision and live with your consequences. I will always hate him for obvious reasons but I will respect him for basically sticking up for what he thinks... right or wrong and going with it

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Veteran center Stoll to attend Blue Jackets training camp on a PTO

There's no way the Kings could look into Stoll is there? (Probably socially unacceptable, especially since the Kings are still distancing themselves from Voynov/Richards/Stoll and that awesome few months these guys created for the team). Currently no cap, but if they move King they could make it happen. If for nothing else but faceoffs, it would be nice to have him back.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's no way the Kings could look into Stoll is there? (Probably socially unacceptable, especially since the Kings are still distancing themselves from Voynov/Richards/Stoll and that awesome few months these guys created for the team). Currently no cap, but if they move King they could make it happen. If for nothing else but faceoffs, it would be nice to have him back.
Raffi Torres getting a PTO with the Canes . Sometimes you just need bodies.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shit, I would rather keep King then get the guaranteed PIM in the offensive zone back

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't argue with Stoll's standard penalty per game, bordering on penalty per period style of play, but he brought different elements that the Kings are missing.

I think just in the last 3 years, the game has become too fast for King, so I'd disagree that I'd rather have King than Stoll. BUT, the hope that is the Kings get younger and faster and that someone emerges through the farm system to replace them both.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More expansion comments: Obviously, the Kings will need to add a d-man eventually. Though I think they wait and see how Gravel looks, (and maybe Paul LaDue too), as they are expansion exempt. If Forbort has 2 good games in a row, they'll try to trade him for anything they can get.

While I don't know much about other teams, I did happen to see that both Winnipeg and Anaheim may be in a situation of protecting 4 D (thus exposing more forwards). Or else, trade one prior to June expansion.

Per the link someone posted about General Fanager website:

Winnipeg: Dustin Byfuglien and Toby Enstrom they are forced to protect. That leaves a choice between Tyler Myers and Jacob Trouba (and also Mark Stuart) as the 3rd to protect.

Anaheim: forced to protect 95 year-old Kevin Bieksa. Leaving more 2 more choices between Cam Fowler, Sami Vatanen, and Hampus Lindholm.

Outside the names of Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, and Siflverberg, I don't know if the quacks have another forward they are super high on? Maybe the they go the route of protecting 4 D and 4 F. Know even less about the Jets' forwards, so unsure about them.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone catch that Versteeg did not go to Europe and signed with the Flames for 1 year/$950,000 on Oct 11/12? He was on a PTO with the Oilers, was offered an NHL contract but turned it down and signed with the Flames instead. Watching NHL Network and just saw a great play he made to get goon Engelland the puck who scored a goal.

That $950,000 is important, it's the max a team can pay a player and not have cap ramifications if the player is demoted to the AHL. My guess is the Oilers gave him that $950,000 but it was a two-way deal, which means he gets way less if he is demoted but the Flames gave him a one-way which means he makes the $950,000 if he is in the NHL or the AHL.

I think around Page 6-8 on this thread we discussed how we would have liked to keep him but based on the cap situation for LA there was no way he would be making anywhere remotely close to the $4.4 million on his last deal. I pegged him for $1.5 million like Turdcell got, but this irritates the hell out of me that the Kings paid $1.6 million for Purcell but Versteeg - a proven winner and team player - went for jack shit.

Granted, this is months after Purcelll signed, Versteeg did not have many suitors and probably assumed he would be getting decent offers so he was selective and Dumbo needed to do something to replace Lucic's production (part of it anyway) but that just sucks.

Purcell is a waste of space where as Versteeg looked good in his brief stint here, is a multiple Cup champ and brings that winning attitude and pays the price to get things done. Meanwhile Purcell has played in 2 games and rides the pine, I have a hunch Sutter can't stand this guy and we will not see much of him all season long barring injury.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always liked Versteeg when he was here in Chicago both times. He got a bum rap from Hawk fans here because he was subpar while playing through an injury--Hawk fans think everyone should play like Kaner (god, I hate that name, to say nothing of that idiotic goal song, Chelsea Handler or Chelsea Clinton or whatever the hell it's called, you're three time Cup winners, stop acting like every goal is a Cup winner you immature assholes).
Didn't like giving up on Versteeg, to say nothing of Lombardi letting the Hawks sign the low priced Europeans the Kings should be coveting.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buy-out question(s):
From what I can see looking at the Cap Friendly NHL website, doesn't look like buying out a player with several years left (Brown) is a very attractive option. Surely, if the Kings are able to trade him, they'll eat some of his annual salary. I guess hypothetical team taking Brown would know the Kings would be willing to eat "x" $$$ less than the average annual buy-out $$$.

Still I have a couple questions related to buy-outs:

Can a player be bought-out in the middle of the season? Or is it only during a certain time period around July 1st?
Wondering if a player can play the entire 2016-17 season, and then be bought out prior to the June Expansion Draft?