• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL General Board Mock Draft

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys since Jak can't do the mock I will unless someone else puts their hand up last minute. I would appreciate any help please just post some players needs that you'd like to see. Except for maybe oline I think that we can go for best player which is nice!

Jak if you know where I can find the last mock that was done I think it would help to see what others did in the past. It may be better than going off another list. I'd cross reference both to take advantage.

Hello FlyerFinFan,

To find the first Mock thread go to NFL Football Forum, Message Board General Discussion, Choose Search the Forum, Choose Show Threads, Use the key word Mock, choose 2014 Mock Draft Selection Thread

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks FoF I found it and will print it off. Good to know what players people liked.

Just had a trade offer that I declined didn't think it would be a good idea although depending how the first pick goes it could get us a much needed oline although we did well last draft in the 2nd rd.

Would you be interested in this unofficial trade?

Skins pick #34 for Dolphins #50, #81 and #112

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks FoF I found it and will print it off. Good to know what players people liked.

Just had a trade offer that I declined didn't think it would be a good idea although depending how the first pick goes it could get us a much needed oline although we did well last draft in the 2nd rd.

Would you be interested in this unofficial trade?

Skins pick #34 for Dolphins #50, #81 and #112

There is a draft chart that values the picks. Walters Football has one that you can look at. It gives general value for picks. Pick 34 is worth 550, 50 is 400, 81 is 185, and pick 112 is 70. That trade in general is way too high. You made the right decision to turn that trade down. Plus this is a deep draft so teams are going to want more picks. You are usually better off not trading away picks. Hickey & staff have done well to fill needs going into the draft so that the team is in a position to pick best player avail with most of the picks. That flexibility will keep the team from having to reach for a pick. The Fins want & need the best RT avail at 19. The team may still think it's essential to get the top guard avail in round 2 although there are a few vets avail; G T Wharton for example or someone already on the roster could step up and claim the remaining guard spot. Also I think the team will look to draft a run stuffing middle linebacker. Being able to pick best player avail is ideal when drafting & that is what the team will be able to do for most of the picks.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep that's what I thought. From the looks of it we need to find either a RT or G in the first or 2nd round. I'm sure if the team is able to get both in the draft they’ll just sign a guy like Clabo.

I guess the question I have if someone slides do you just take him if he's really impressive even if it's not a position of need? Ideally you want your 1st round picks to start but looking at DE for instance that would be impossible as they are loaded. Using that theory what positions should be ranked highest in the 1st round? OT, G, MLB, TE, etc...

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep that's what I thought. From the looks of it we need to find either a RT or G in the first or 2nd round. I'm sure if the team is able to get both in the draft they’ll just sign a guy like Clabo.

I guess the question I have if someone slides do you just take him if he's really impressive even if it's not a position of need? Ideally you want your 1st round picks to start but looking at DE for instance that would be impossible as they are loaded. Using that theory what positions should be ranked highest in the 1st round? OT, G, MLB, TE, etc...

You bring up a good point. There are certain positions that the team will probably not be drafting for early: QB, DE, DT, K, QB, etc. I think your priority list is right (OT, G, MLB, TE or WR, possibly a big short yardage RB, FB, special teams talent) RT is nearly a guarantee for the first pick because the team has such a need at RT and there will be some good talent to choose from even after the top 3 or 4 olineman have been picked. Getting the best guard avail with the 2nd round pick would be my choice yet I could see the team picking another player if they think they are set at guard.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we'll have to wait and see what's available. If we're reaching for an olineman at 19 I would try to trade back but hard to say if anyone would want to move up. I agree that we should be able to find a G in the 2nd and if there aren't any quality RT's left we could just go best player and in real life you'd hope they would just sign a stop gap RT like Clabo for now. Will be interesting...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after day 1 we're at 17 ravens. Quite a few good players left with only 2 teams before the Fins. Mosley is intriguing if he makes it through as adding an ILB would allow Ellerbe to bump outside. I'm not sure if that would be the best play for the Fins but something to consider...or if someone's sneaking around here maybe this is just a smokescreen...I'd be willing to hear offers to trade back. If anyone has suggestions it looks like we'll be picking around noon Eastern although its moving pretty fast.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after day 1 we're at 17 ravens. Quite a few good players left with only 2 teams before the Fins. Mosley is intriguing if he makes it through as adding an ILB would allow Ellerbe to bump outside. I'm not sure if that would be the best play for the Fins but something to consider...or if someone's sneaking around here maybe this is just a smokescreen...I'd be willing to hear offers to trade back. If anyone has suggestions it looks like we'll be picking around noon Eastern although its moving pretty fast.

My advice is to pick the best RT avail. After that you'll have a lot more flexibility with your picks. Z Martin is a very technical player that could probably play well as a rookie at RT. If he's gone, then you have M Moses as another option. A Richardson & C Kouandijo both failed physicals at the combine & that's a definite red flag for a top 20 pick.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco gives 1.30, 3.13 & 5.30

Miami gives 1.19 & 6.14

APPROVED
Traded back as Martin was gone. This allows us to go BPA on OT G MLB or TE now. I could also trade up in 2nd. Any thoughts let me know...should pick later today.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco gives 1.30, 3.13 & 5.30

Miami gives 1.19 & 6.14

APPROVED
Traded back as Martin was gone. This allows us to go BPA on OT G MLB or TE now. I could also trade up in 2nd. Any thoughts let me know...should pick later today.

That trade worked out well FlyerFinFan, you landed M Moses for the RT spot & still added an extra 3rd round pick, plus a higher pick.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FlyerFinFan, If Guard Gabe Jackson is avail at pick 50, he'd be a real solid pick & he'd help solidify the Oline, Guard D Yankey could be also be a good choice if Gabe has been picked, or you may want to pick a run stuffing ILB at pick #50.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FlyerFinFan, If Guard Gabe Jackson is avail at pick 50, he'd be a real solid pick & he'd help solidify the Oline, Guard D Yankey could be also be a good choice if Gabe has been picked, or you may want to pick a run stuffing ILB at pick #50.

Yes things played out well but I was pretty nervous that Moses would be gone. I actually inquired with Carolina about moving up two spots as the Skins were trying hard to move up too but he wanted too much. In the end we got what we wanted and picked up an earlier 3rd plus I also received the Niners 5th for our 6th.

I've been receiving offers to move up in the 2nd but the Skins want a 2nd, 3rd and 4th plus more...told them to take a hike although its like a late 1st. I honestly believe that either a G, MLB or TE will fall to 50 anyway and if anything I'd like to trade up later into the 2nd somehow to acquire better players for 2 out of those 3 spots. Contemplating if I should see what I could get from both 3rd's that's around 390 points which should get mid 2nd rd which would get us 2 nice players. Ah we'll see what happens may get everyone we need if we stand pat and draft.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an offer than is almost dead even in points, actually 5.5 in your favor. Our 2nd(47 overall), for #77, 81 and 143. Our 2nd is worth 430 points, your picks are worth 205, 185 and 34.5. That's a 3, 3 and 5 to move up to the middle of the 2nd.

What do you guys think I have to call it in this morning if I want it. Just not sure if it's high enough to get the player we'd want...but the 3rds may be tough to unless guys drop.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never mind the last post I didn't do it I dug in and got the BPA at a need position:

With the 18th pick in the 2nd round the Miami Dolphins are proud to select: Chris Borland ILB Wisconsin

This would allow Ellerbe to move outside or to create some exotic coverages...Borland can stop the run which when needed last year they had trouble. Now it's time to add more depth at some of the positions discussed above. I may try to move back into the 2nd rd to get a difference maker.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never mind the last post I didn't do it I dug in and got the BPA at a need position:

With the 18th pick in the 2nd round the Miami Dolphins are proud to select: Chris Borland ILB Wisconsin

This would allow Ellerbe to move outside or to create some exotic coverages...Borland can stop the run which when needed last year they had trouble. Now it's time to add more depth at some of the positions discussed above. I may try to move back into the 2nd rd to get a difference maker.

I like the Borland pick. He could be a difference maker in run defense. He's been very productive in college forcing fumbles with big hits & making lots of tackles. His lack of elite speed could make pass coverage more difficult for him, however, he can read plays well & he makes a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Miami Dolphins are proud to select Russell Bodine OC/G North Carolina.

The hurting Miami Dolphins select Brandon Coleman WR Rutgers

Borland was not only the best value but one of the few MLB in the draft. I was trying to move up in the draft to get a TE but just couldn't do it and after Jenkins it just wasn't worth it so I stayed put with the two 3rds and picked up C/G flexibility and a very tall WR for red zone since I couldn't get that TE. I had targeted a CB/S but he was taken a few picks ahead. I think in the 4th I'll try to find either a CB, S or TE or BPA if someone slides. We also have 2 5th Rd picks so there is some options to move up again or add more depth I just don't think the Fins need too much more though???

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Miami Dolphins are proud to select Russell Bodine OC/G North Carolina.

The hurting Miami Dolphins select Brandon Coleman WR Rutgers

Borland was not only the best value but one of the few MLB in the draft. I was trying to move up in the draft to get a TE but just couldn't do it and after Jenkins it just wasn't worth it so I stayed put with the two 3rds and picked up C/G flexibility and a very tall WR for red zone since I couldn't get that TE. I had targeted a CB/S but he was taken a few picks ahead. I think in the 4th I'll try to find either a CB, S or TE or BPA if someone slides. We also have 2 5th Rd picks so there is some options to move up again or add more depth I just don't think the Fins need too much more though???

I think Bodine would bring depth at Guard. I think he'd have a chance at winning a starting spot. The Fins will have some good competition at the remaining spot. I think Coleman could help the team in the red zone with TD catches. With the next picks a CB or Dri Archer if he's still avail (I think he'll cause match up problems with his speed & versatility) Also the team needs a FB for short yardage situations and/or a short yardage RB.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing some people say that Philbin doesn't believe in a FB but I agree with you why not have one for short yardage?

I was also wondering about RB would they keep 4 of them? They'd also have to release Thomas and I can't see them getting rid of Gillisee.

I was thinking that you can never have enough CB's or S's so hopefully I can find one in the 4th or 5th rd.

If you have some names that you like that would help as I'm pretty much using ESPN's ratings and have done pretty good if they are correct.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing some people say that Philbin doesn't believe in a FB but I agree with you why not have one for short yardage?

I was also wondering about RB would they keep 4 of them? They'd also have to release Thomas and I can't see them getting rid of Gillisee.

I was thinking that you can never have enough CB's or S's so hopefully I can find one in the 4th or 5th rd.

If you have some names that you like that would help as I'm pretty much using ESPN's ratings and have done pretty good if they are correct.

RE FB's: the top two in this draft are very good; J Prosh & JC Copeland. There is still a place in my opinion, even in a passing league like the NFL, for Smashmouth football to keep a drive going and put the ball in the end zone from the goal line. The Fins were predictable at times with the pass last year. I think the improved Oline will help in having a more balanced offense but a top level FB could be a difference maker. RE RB Thomas: He runs hard but he's had to deal with multiple concussions & poor ball security at times. I think he'll have a hard time making the Fins roster. Agreed on never enough CB's or S's. The Fins were bit by the injury bug at that position last year & they'll probably be looking for more depth this off season for the secondary.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. So the opportunity came up to trade up into the 3rd round couldn't resist as it only took a 4th and 5th. This allowed me to draft one of the last few high ranking CB's in Breeland and then the talent level drops off quite a bit.

Breeland is young but talented and will be able to grow with the team under no pressure I'd be pumped if they could pick this guy to grow with the other young corners on the team.

So after trading back in the first for extra picks and then trading back up into the 3rd the Fins have acquired 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. They have filled most of their needs talented RT, versatile C/G, run stopping ILB, tall WR and another young talented CB to grow with the others. Still have a 5th and 7th to find a few more players....I'd be pumped!