• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt from positional value, a LEO followed by a CB is better this draft. ILB was just an example to show 'proven' versus 'versatile'.

From the very beginning my HOPE is LEO round 1, and CB in round 2. But after reading these last 3 months, a LEO at 9th doesn't seem likely? With Denzel Ward not fitting the prototype, CB does't look likely? Based on current mocks, its either LB or Safety?

I don't follow college and rely on others. Some people I know believe Chubb is not that good and the only reason he is that high on the draft board is because of the lack of quality pass rushers in this draft. Kind of gives me pause right now on taking him if he were available

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt from positional value, a LEO followed by a CB is better this draft. ILB was just an example to show 'proven' versus 'versatile'.

From the very beginning my HOPE is LEO round 1, and CB in round 2. But after reading these last 3 months, a LEO at 9th doesn't seem likely? With Denzel Ward not fitting the prototype, CB does't look likely? Based on current mocks, its either LB or Safety?

That is what it looks like. I would say depending on which safety is available it could be the more talented player.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Revealing the player 49ers should take No. 9 overall in NFL draft

I'm fine with Harold Landry if he can play all 3 downs? He can start off his career playing the Dumervil role, but then be a 3 down player next season. IF not, then we shouldn't spend a 9th OVERALL, for a projected part-time player. I know the pass rush is huge, but you just can't take a part-time player this high.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ranking 49ers' NFL Draft needs is no easy assignment

We don't draft by need but just as for fun, this isn't too bad. But i'd change the position of OG, with OT.

Either way a 3rd round pick isn't expected to be an immediate starter, so might as well develop an OT. An OT is hard to fill, especially LT. So drafting an OT earlier increases the odds.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revealing the player 49ers should take No. 9 overall in NFL draft

I'm fine with Harold Landry if he can play all 3 downs? He can start off his career playing the Dumervil role, but then be a 3 down player next season. IF not, then we shouldn't spend a 9th OVERALL, for a projected part-time player. I know the pass rush is huge, but you just can't take a part-time player this high.

Everything I read, Landry is a well rounded player. He's obviously more tuned for pass rush, but his run defense is good enought....last year's ankle injury hurt him significantly.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Everything I read, Landry is a well rounded player. He's obviously more tuned for pass rush, but his run defense is good enought....last year's ankle injury hurt him significantly.

That isn't what i've read, but this is only us reading. Writers can write anything even if they don't REALLY know? :-)

Again, if he's projected as 3 down player, totally fine picking him. Even if he starts out as the pass rusher this season, fine. But IF he's ONLY projected to be a pass rusher, pass.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn't what i've read, but this is only us reading. Writers can write anything even if they don't REALLY know? :-)

Again, if he's projected as 3 down player, totally fine picking him. Even if he starts out as the pass rusher this season, fine. But IF he's ONLY projected to be a pass rusher, pass.

I think a lot of what's written about Landry is based on last season, in which he played on a bum ankle. I believe he was decently rated against the run prior to 2017, and was a major force in pass rush. He's a guy I am starting to lean towards.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think a lot of what's written about Landry is based on last season, in which he played on a bum ankle. I believe he was decently rated against the run prior to 2017, and was a major force in pass rush. He's a guy I am starting to lean towards.

Ok, if he's decent against the run, fine with me. From the very beginning my hope was LEO followed by CB, so Landry would fit my Round 1. For Round 2, can i hope for one of these guys:

"Which leads to other corners who are, particularly in Round 2. Auburn’s Carlton Davis (6-1, 206, 32 3/4-inch arms) is a press corner tailored to San Francisco’s scheme who could be had with its second pick. But it might require trading up from pick No. 59. Same for Colorado’s Isaiah Oliver (6-0, 200, 33 1/2-inch arms), who was Witherspoon’s former college teammate."

I'm hoping the first pick of Round 3 is an LT prospect.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, if he's decent against the run, fine with me. From the very beginning my hope was LEO followed by CB, so Landry would fit my Round 1. For Round 2, can i hope for one of these guys:

"Which leads to other corners who are, particularly in Round 2. Auburn’s Carlton Davis (6-1, 206, 32 3/4-inch arms) is a press corner tailored to San Francisco’s scheme who could be had with its second pick. But it might require trading up from pick No. 59. Same for Colorado’s Isaiah Oliver (6-0, 200, 33 1/2-inch arms), who was Witherspoon’s former college teammate."

I'm hoping the first pick of Round 3 is an LT prospect.

Oliver is the guy I am also leaning towards in the second. I'm only going by guys who are relayed to me, and it certainly isn't the entire pool of talent coming out...but those two seem to be standing out - Landry and Oliver.

I also agree that we should address the O-line after that.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://www.************.com/articles/115052-7-round-49ers-mock-draft-fans-can-excited-about/

In this particular mock, ok with Roquan Smith at 9th overall.

I'd switch the Round 2 with the second Round 3 pick, cause i feel we REALLY need quality CB's before OG's. We can't assume the starting duo of Sherman and Witherspoon, won't get hurt. So the drop off at CB would be much larger than a drop off at OG.

Don't see why we should draft another LB in Round 4?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.************.com/articles/115052-7-round-49ers-mock-draft-fans-can-excited-about/

In this particular mock, ok with Roquan Smith at 9th overall.

I'd switch the Round 2 with the second Round 3 pick, cause i feel we REALLY need quality CB's before OG's. We can't assume the starting duo of Sherman and Witherspoon, won't get hurt. So the drop off at CB would be much larger than a drop off at OG.

Don't see why we should draft another LB in Round 4?

Both CB and OG are deep in this draft. So you could flip them and probably be fine. I think if they were to wait until round 3 to draft a CB they should have taken Fitzpatrick or James at 9 or in a trade back then they could move Ward to CB and have more depth to warrant waiting to take another CB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Both CB and OG are deep in this draft. So you could flip them and probably be fine. I think if they were to wait until round 3 to draft a CB they should have taken Fitzpatrick or James at 9 or in a trade back then they could move Ward to CB and have more depth to warrant waiting to take another CB.

If you can flip them and be fine, then go CB first.

general comment - I know its good to have versatility, but not before you're SOLID at one spot. Our 9th overall needs to be a stud at one spot. If later he's able to move around, great, but be a stud at one spot first. This is why i like Roquan Smith, to me he'll be a stud MLB.

For Fitzpatrick or Edmunds, you get the impression they won't impact from one spot? If i'm wrong then fine, but versatility alone doesn't warrant 9th overall.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about Edmunds but Fitzpatrick seems like he'll be a stud as a safety. I'm not sure that he'll be available when the 49ers draft which is why Smith or Landry from BC will probably be the pick.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know about Edmunds but Fitzpatrick seems like he'll be a stud as a safety. I'm not sure that he'll be available when the 49ers draft which is why Smith or Landry from BC will probably be the pick.

That is fine but then why do articles always read how versatile Fitzpatrick is? Articles always start off and emphasize his versatility? Same with Edmunds, they always start off by saying how versatile he is? For a 9th overall, want to read "Fitzpatrick is perfect for the Free Safety spot in the 49ers scheme". "Fitzpatrick is perfect for the Strong Safety spot in the 49ers scheme". Then you know the 9th overall pick has a good chance of succeeding.

IMO "versatility" implies time (his rookie season?) to find his best spot? Then it also implies we don't know if he'll even find a solid spot?

Not saying we don't want versatile players, just not at 9th overall.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is fine but then why do articles always read how versatile Fitzpatrick is? Articles always start off and emphasize his versatility? Same with Edmunds, they always start off by saying how versatile he is? For a 9th overall, want to read "Fitzpatrick is perfect for the Free Safety spot in the 49ers scheme". "Fitzpatrick is perfect for the Strong Safety spot in the 49ers scheme". Then you know the 9th overall pick has a good chance of succeeding.

IMO "versatility" implies time (his rookie season?) to find his best spot? Then it also implies we don't know if he'll even find a solid spot?

Not saying we don't want versatile players, just not at 9th overall.

It's probably because Alabama used him all over the field because he was their best defensive back. I'm guessing it's because he's athletic enough to play anywhere but is an elite safety. I think with him at least you are over thinking it. If they draft Fitzpatrick they are getting a stud safety or at least would seem to be.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's probably because Alabama used him all over the field because he was their best defensive back. I'm guessing it's because he's athletic enough to play anywhere but is an elite safety. I think with him at least you are over thinking it. If they draft Fitzpatrick they are getting a stud safety or at least would seem to be.

you see, even you aren't sure.