• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as trading back I can see that happening especially if the guys they have rated at the top of their board are all gone and the view 4-8 prospects about the same.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've seen Ward will get reps at CB so they may be looking at a Safety in the draft instead of a CB early in the draft.

Based on his college history - the reason he got drafted high - Ward's best position is Free Safety. So trying him out at CB seems just that, a tryout? Ward doesn't have the measurable for CB, so IMO he's destined to be the all around back-up. Adding Fitzpatrick or James doesn't seem the way we'll go?

That said, you do draft the best players looking over their careers. So if one of these guys are the clear BPA, so be it. if one of these guy pushes Ward out, so be it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As far as trading back I can see that happening especially if the guys they have rated at the top of their board are all gone and the view 4-8 prospects about the same.

I'm REALLY hoping Landry is the BPA at 9th? Cause everyone knows the spot to fill is LEO. If it is another LEO prospect fine, but looks like Landry is the top rated past Chubb.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm REALLY hoping Landry is the BPA at 9th? Cause everyone knows the spot to fill is LEO. If it is another LEO prospect fine, but looks like Landry is the top rated past Chubb.

As of right now, I have no problem if Landry is our pick @ 9.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on his college history - the reason he got drafted high - Ward's best position is Free Safety. So trying him out at CB seems just that, a tryout? Ward doesn't have the measurable for CB, so IMO he's destined to be the all around back-up. Adding Fitzpatrick or James doesn't seem the way we'll go?

That said, you do draft the best players looking over their careers. So if one of these guys are the clear BPA, so be it. if one of these guy pushes Ward out, so be it.

Ward played about 8 games at corner. I thought he did okay. The problem with Ward is you can't count on him making it through a season. He has only made it through one sixteen game season in his career thus far

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ward played about 8 games at corner. I thought he did okay. The problem with Ward is you can't count on him making it through a season. He has only made it through one sixteen game season in his career thus far

But was that the same scheme as now?

I believe he played CB under Tomsula and Kelly? Their thinking then was CB is less physical than FS, so maybe Ward would be less injury prone. BTW - i'm fine if he's the back-up to ALL the secondary spots, but he must be capable in all, including slot. Right now i think he can be, just not a starter. Yes, he'll be highly paid but that is ok for one season.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's played CB before so he can do it maybe not as well as safety but if the thinking is James or Fitzpatrick are the best available when they are picking it makes sense to move him to CB.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also okay with Landry being the pick but they will probably be leaving a better player on the board if they take him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm also okay with Landry being the pick but they will probably be leaving a better player on the board if they take him.

If this is the case, take the better player.

As much as i hope to fill LEO, we can't force it.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unless Chubb drops it's unlikely the LEO position gets filled at 9.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unless Chubb drops it's unlikely the LEO position gets filled at 9.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bleacher Report mock NFL draft: 49ers find versatile piece for front seven

If we make a pick at 9th vice trade down, i'd prefer a college proven player at ONE spot. A stud player at one spot, vice a versatile one.

An illustration is i'll take an All-Pro at one spot, vice a versatile starting player. From what i've been reading, seems to me Ronquan Smith or even Rashaad Evans, is more 'proven' than Tremaine Edmunds? Yes, having Tremaine Edmunds isn't a bad thing, but a 9th overall should simply be a stud.

Ok, i didn't research any of these guys, so if my perception is wrong, my bad. :-)

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleacher Report mock NFL draft: 49ers find versatile piece for front seven

If we make a pick at 9th vice trade down, i'd prefer a college proven player at ONE spot. A stud player at one spot, vice a versatile one.

An illustration is i'll take an All-Pro at one spot, vice a versatile starting player. From what i've been reading, seems to me Ronquan Smith or even Rashaad Evans, is more 'proven' than Tremaine Edmunds? Yes, having Tremaine Edmunds isn't a bad thing, but a 9th overall should simply be a stud.

Ok, i didn't research any of these guys, so if my perception is wrong, my bad. :-)

Roquan Smith is set and forget. He looks almost something similar to Patrick Willis. Edmunds is far, far and away more boom and bust. The potential is there to be a once-in-a-generation type player. I think I'm happy either way.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the idea of taking a LB that early but with Foster being an idiot it could happen. To me a DB or Leo makes the most sense from a need stand point but LB could be the best available.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the idea of taking a LB that early but with Foster being an idiot it could happen.

Why not? Again...SF took Willis with the 11th pick and was absolutely worth it. Everything I've seen on Smith, he's the same type of player and person - a sideline to sideline tackling machine who is completely clean off the field. A hard working, film nut with instincts and a high football IQ. A guy that could easily be a team leader and a cornerstone. He also seems to be a guy who can be counted on to succeed at the next level.

Pairing him with Foster (assuming he straightens himself) could be devastating.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Roquan Smith is set and forget. He looks almost something similar to Patrick Willis. Edmunds is far, far and away more boom and bust. The potential is there to be a once-in-a-generation type player. I think I'm happy either way.

Yeah, not to say Edmunds isn't good at all, but seems to me Ronquan or even Rashaad would be 'proven' picks. We need the 9th pick overall to come in and play, not take a year or two to develop....IF he develops to a 9th pick talent?

I used ILB as an example, but this could apply to any position at 9th overall.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't like the idea of taking a LB that early but with Foster being an idiot it could happen. To me a DB or Leo makes the most sense from a need stand point but LB could be the best available.

No doubt from positional value, a LEO followed by a CB is better this draft. ILB was just an example to show 'proven' versus 'versatile'.

From the very beginning my HOPE is LEO round 1, and CB in round 2. But after reading these last 3 months, a LEO at 9th doesn't seem likely? With Denzel Ward not fitting the prototype, CB does't look likely? Based on current mocks, its either LB or Safety?

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not to say Edmunds isn't good at all, but seems to me Ronquan or even Rashaad would be 'proven' picks. We need the 9th pick overall to come in and play, not take a year or two to develop....IF he develops to a 9th pick talent?

I used ILB as an example, but this could apply to any position at 9th overall.

At this point, SF is gonna have a lot of good options come the 9th slot....with all the QB's projected to go before then. I'm all for Smith, Landry, Edmunds, Nelson....it's a good problem to have. A lot of these mocks have SF taking one of the corner/safeties with the first pick, which is something I don't want. I'd rather grab Isaiah Oliver in the second.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? Again...SF took Willis with the 11th pick and was absolutely worth it. Everything I've seen on Smith, he's the same type of player and person - a sideline to sideline tackling machine who is completely clean off the field. A hard working, film nut with instincts and a high football IQ. A guy that could easily be a team leader and a cornerstone. He also seems to be a guy who can be counted on to succeed at the next level.

Pairing him with Foster (assuming he straightens himself) could be devastating.

I wouldn't mind either if he is that good.