• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft, 2024

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naturally, we have plenty of needs on the Niners. OT, CB, IOL, DT, Edge, LB, and possibly WR. For a crazy change, we don't need at QB (thankfully).

Let's start this thread off with some OT talk. This draft is DEEP at OT and here are some I've found ranked and rated in a loose order from various sources.

1. Olumuyiwa "Olu" Fashanu, Penn State - 6'6, 317 pounds
2. Joe Alt, Notre Dame - 6'7, 322 pounds
3. Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State - 6'6, 334 pounds
4. J.C Latham, Alabama - 6'6 360 pounds
5. Troy Fautanu, Washington - 6'4, 317 pounds (Also being considered a Guard)
6. Amarius Mims, Georgia - 6'7, 340 pounds
7. Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma - 6'7, 314 pounds
8. Kingsley Suamataia, BYU - 6'6, 325 pounds
9. Jordan Morgan, Arizona - 6'5, 325 pounds
10. Patrick Paul, Houston - 6'7, 315 pounds
11. Kiran Amegadjie, Yale - 6'5, 326 pounds
12. Blake Fisher, Notre Dame - 6'6, 312 pounds

6 or 7 OTs could go in rd 1 this year.

daniel Jeremiah's latest mock has us taking OT Graham Barton out of Duke with the No. 31 overall pick. He's a guy who could possibly slide in to OG.

Well, what do we think? If you've seen mocks, post em up. If you've got other position rankings, let's see em!

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roughly 1/3 of the first round picks will be OL. This would suggest other organizations recognize the essential value of OL that the 49ers have discounted since the McGlinchey pick. If John and Kyle don't make a big correction this offseason, I have serious questions about their leadership.

It seems to me that Kyle can navigate a 16-17 game season with an inferior OL by scheming. But when you get to games 18-20, the trenches are of elevated significance. First, the obvious - the defenses you encounter in postseason are generally better than many weeks in September through December. Second, a better pocket through the first 17 games helps to assure your QB is healthier for the postseason. Third, a talented OL can take pressure off the QB by establishing that "run at will" - fewer 2nd and long, keeps defensive coordinators from crowding the box, etc. Finally, I recall the onslaught on Alex Smith the first year and I swear he was psychologically damaged, making him the checkdown passer that frustrated fans for years. I hope this PTSD has not begun to affect Brock Purdy behind this porous right side.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, its clear to everyone we need to spend draft capital on O-line. More so because Purdy is the key and he needs more protection. I'm big on BPA so good to see this years class is strong at OT. This means odds are high our BPA at #31 will be an OT.

Not in favor of trading up for an OT as i see on Youtube, but if they do then so be it. Prefer we draft a 'pure' OT as opposed to a 'versatile' OT.

I'm ok if our first 4 picks are linemen, two for each side? If the value is there, then add a Center too.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, its clear to everyone we need to spend draft capital on O-line. More so because Purdy is the key and he needs more protection. I'm big on BPA so good to see this years class is strong at OT. This means odds are high our BPA at #31 will be an OT.

Not in favor of trading up for an OT as i see on Youtube, but if they do then so be it. Prefer we draft a 'pure' OT as opposed to a 'versatile' OT.

I'm ok if our first 4 picks are linemen, two for each side? If the value is there, then add a Center too.
I agree. I like a pure OT. All the pundits say the 49ers like or value "versatility" but that is what they want in later round depth pieces. They don't want Trent Williams or Aaron Banks being versatile. They were fine with McGlinchey, Richburg, Tomlinson and Mack being position specific. Its like using an early pick on a WR because he can return punts (see Dante Pettis as an example)... Its different in late third round or third day picks

And I am 100% down with using the first four picks on four linemen (RT, OG/C, DT and EDGE).

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We started this 2024 draft thread with a nice explanation of the OTs available this year. I have come to two conclusions:

(1) I would not draft a player that I thought could only play RT or kick inside. I would draft a player who CAN project to future starting LT. It might even be a "raw" talent who is a year or two away, like Kingsley Suamataia.

(2) John Lynch & Kyle Shanahan are not drafting an OT at 31. All you need to know about their priorities was when they were sitting on Tristan Wirfs and traded back a space for Javon Kinlaw. That tells you everything you need to know about Kyle's Roster Construction 101. I'm not saying they draft a DT, though its possible, but they will look at WR and DE, too.

I reserve the right to change my mind, but it looks like Kyle is going defense at 31.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We started this 2024 draft thread with a nice explanation of the OTs available this year. I have come to two conclusions:

(1) I would not draft a player that I thought could only play RT or kick inside. I would draft a player who CAN project to future starting LT. It might even be a "raw" talent who is a year or two away, like Kingsley Suamataia.

(2) John Lynch & Kyle Shanahan are not drafting an OT at 31. All you need to know about their priorities was when they were sitting on Tristan Wirfs and traded back a space for Javon Kinlaw. That tells you everything you need to know about Kyle's Roster Construction 101. I'm not saying they draft a DT, though its possible, but they will look at WR and DE, too.

I reserve the right to change my mind, but it looks like Kyle is going defense at 31.
I agree with (1). If we take an OT at 31, it needs to be someone who can eventually play LT. The way the projections are falling, there will be some OTs available, but which ones will determine whether we take one.

I disagree with (2). I think the Niners want an OT at 31. I could see us taking a CB or WR at 31 though depending on how the first round falls. We're gonna see a run on QBs early and then a run on OTs. It could mean some good corners or wide outs fall into our lap. it would be hard to turn them down.

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football pundits and football fans often extoll the virtues of a QB on his rookie contract enabling a "window" for a Super Bowl run because salary cap resources can be invested elsewhere at high impact positions like EDGE or game breaking receivers. They will say that when that franchise QB gets his second contract at $50 million a year, it stresses the cap and forces the front office to release stars at other positions. Makes sense, right?

It appears that the 49ers team construction philosophy has a similar perspective with regards to the offensive line. Going on year 8 of the Shanahan-Lynch regime, it seems to me they do not intend to give anyone other than LT a premium second contract. They strictly enforce a predetermined budget upon the offensive line. This premise will be tested by Aaron Banks as he approaches free agency. I don't think he gets $15 million a year, and that means John Lynch needs to address the position in the next two drafts.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me the top C on the board of (in order) Powers-Johnson, Frazier, or Barton (only if they have plans to move Barton to C) in Round 1, trade up and secure either Suamataia or Paul early/mid in Round 2. Any of the guys mentioned above at C could replace Brendel immediately and be an instant HUGE upgrade. Brendel was so bad so consistently last year that his replacement, especially one of the top in this year's class, would be MILES ahead and instantly improve our OL. Suamataia and Paul both have the most college snaps at OT and would be less likely to need tons of work techniquely in order to eventually this year supplant McKivitz, who just physically ain't got it.

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me the top C on the board of (in order) Powers-Johnson, Frazier, or Barton (only if they have plans to move Barton to C) in Round 1, trade up and secure either Suamataia or Paul early/mid in Round 2. Any of the guys mentioned above at C could replace Brendel immediately and be an instant HUGE upgrade. Brendel was so bad so consistently last year that his replacement, especially one of the top in this year's class, would be MILES ahead and instantly improve our OL. Suamataia and Paul both have the most college snaps at OT and would be less likely to need tons of work techniquely in order to eventually this year supplant McKivitz, who just physically ain't got it.
I would not be opposed to going two OL and two DL in the first four picks. A Jordan Morgan-Frazier combo works, while a Barton-Suamataia combo would be preferred.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens if a WR falls to us at 31? It sure seems that we need some help at WR with both BA and JJ being in the last year of their deals, Conley being a journeyman and every other WR not named Deebo being nobodies (Bell, Gray, etc.).

Some loose rankings of the top 3 rounds worth of prospects. The first 4 or so are likely first rounders with the next 10 potentially falling anywhere through rounds 2 and 3.
1. Marvin Harrison Jr, Ohio State - 6'4, 205 pounds
2. Malik Nabers, LSU - 6'0, 200 pounds
3. Rome Odunze, Washington - 6'3, 215 pounds
4. Keon Coleman, FSU - 6'4, 215 pounds
5. Brian Thomas Jr, LSU - 6'4, 196 pounds
6. Adonai Mitchell, Texas - 6'4, 194 pounds
7. Xavier Legette, South Carolina - 6'3, 227 pounds
8. Xavier Worthy, Texas - 6'1, 172 pounds
9. Troy Franklin, Oregon - 6'3, 187 pounds
10. Ja'Lynn Polk, Washington - 6'2, 204 pounds
11. Jermaine Burton, Alabama - 6'0, 194 pounds
12. Ladd McConkey, Georgia - 6'0, 185 pounds
13. Dovontez Walker, North Carolina - 6'3, 200 pounds
14. Malachi Corley, Western Kentucky - 5'11, 210 pounds

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would be ok if our first pick was a Center.

WR's are ALWAYS tempting because we see how freakishly athletic they are. Its possible one falls and has too much value (ie our BPA) to pass at #31. However, unless its that obvious (I don't see it), I'm wishing for an OT in Round 2 if not taken in Round 1. If we go OT in Round 1, I'm ok (not we have to) with a Center in Round 2. Purdy is the one guy that needs to stay healthy so get him better protection. Good O-line provides "protection" even when run blocking, the more we run successfully, the less 5 step drops.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Football pundits and football fans often extoll the virtues of a QB on his rookie contract enabling a "window" for a Super Bowl run because salary cap resources can be invested elsewhere at high impact positions like EDGE or game breaking receivers. They will say that when that franchise QB gets his second contract at $50 million a year, it stresses the cap and forces the front office to release stars at other positions. Makes sense, right?

It appears that the 49ers team construction philosophy has a similar perspective with regards to the offensive line. Going on year 8 of the Shanahan-Lynch regime, it seems to me they do not intend to give anyone other than LT a premium second contract. They strictly enforce a predetermined budget upon the offensive line. This premise will be tested by Aaron Banks as he approaches free agency. I don't think he gets $15 million a year, and that means John Lynch needs to address the position in the next two drafts.
Yes, it seems like Lynch/Shanahan is keeping the O-line costs down and instead putting these resources on D and skill players. The reason is the salary cap makes it hard to address every position. This is exactly what the salary cap is designed to do, so unless you get REALLY lucky with consecutive draft classes, something will be lacking including depth. Other teams may put less resources on D for example, and apply it to O-line.

I'm ok with how we go to our current situation even though personally, i would lean less skill players and more O-line. Not saying go all out on O-line nor don't re-sign any skill player, but lean more cap on O-line. My opinion is even "2nd tier" skill players can do well if the O-line is GOOD, but a leaky O-line will sink top skill players. So for example, not re-sign Deebo (yeah i know it hurts) and re-sign a C and/or OT who are solid. Right now we don't have this situation but just describing my opinion.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it seems like Lynch/Shanahan is keeping the O-line costs down and instead putting these resources on D and skill players. The reason is the salary cap makes it hard to address every position. This is exactly what the salary cap is designed to do, so unless you get REALLY lucky with consecutive draft classes, something will be lacking including depth. Other teams may put less resources on D for example, and apply it to O-line.

I'm ok with how we go to our current situation even though personally, i would lean less skill players and more O-line. Not saying go all out on O-line nor don't re-sign any skill player, but lean more cap on O-line. My opinion is even "2nd tier" skill players can do well if the O-line is GOOD, but a leaky O-line will sink top skill players. So for example, not re-sign Deebo (yeah i know it hurts) and re-sign a C and/or OT who are solid. Right now we don't have this situation but just describing my opinion.

Watching Brendel botch run play after run play last year has me convinced that our overall line play would be EXPONENTIALLY better with a better C, specifically our run game, where Brendel is a flat out liability. His abilities in pass protection are not good enough to A) warrant his price tag of 4 mil/year and B) overlook his run game deficiencies.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Watching Brendel botch run play after run play last year has me convinced that our overall line play would be EXPONENTIALLY better with a better C, specifically our run game, where Brendel is a flat out liability. His abilities in pass protection are not good enough to A) warrant his price tag of 4 mil/year and B) overlook his run game deficiencies.
There is no better time than this draft to bring in OT with a higher pick. Ordinarily you won't get a good OT prospect at #31, but this is the class. TW may not go for 2 more seasons even if he wanted to, his cap hit versus performance MAY not warrant it? So now is the time to bring in a good OT prospect, can't see how they not do it.

To your point, yes I'd be fine with a Center too, Day 2 and even if its #31.

Later on if solid value presents itself, I'd draft OT again. Yes, 'solid value' is relative to day 3, but if value is there, why not?

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been giving some thought to this comment. There was a time when the NFL world generally recognized that Kyle Shanahan placed a major priority on the center position. He had Cal center Alex Mack, a former mid-first round pick at Cleveland. When he became the Offensive Coordinator with Atlanta, he insisted on the Falcons front office bringing Mack to help him unlock his offense. When he got to San Francisco (2017) and faced a complete rebuild, he was stuck with Daniel Kilgore and far bigger holes to fill. But it only took one season of Kilgore to make Kyle pursue Weston Richburg, a former 2nd round pick of the Giants and generally considered a top five center in the NFL. John Lynch gave Richburg a 5-year, $47.5 million deal in 2018. Unfortunately, Richburg struggled to stay healthy - missing end of 2019, spending 2020 on PUP/IR and retiring in 2021. Ben Garland held down the center position in 2020, but Kyle went back to the well and signed Alex Mack for Mack's retirement tour in 2021. Considering this journey at center, Jake Brendel was a bit of an outlier. He was signed when his line coach in Miami, Chris Foerster, was named line coach by Kyle in Santa Clara. So why go budget at center in 2022? This coincides with the 49ers reaching their first salary cap constricted season with Garoppolo being transitioned out, mobile Trey Lance projected as the starter and no firsts and few second round round picks. But armed with both a first and second for the first time since 2021, I can see Kyle Shanahan returning to his formula of a top tier center anchoring the offensive line. I don't see Powers-Johnson being an option, but I would not be surprised if Lynch drafts Barton at 31, or somehow Frazier in the second, or Van Pran in the third.

While Shanahan could double back with a tackle, I am not sure Kyle see the urgency with McKivitz and Feliciano in place. He will likely draft a linemen that needs a bit more development but has a higher ceiling than either of the previously mentioned. If he went OT in first, center in second, I would not be shocked. But if he went center in first, I think he could wait 'til 3rd or 4th for an OT like Rosengarten. I could definitely see Lynch drafts a WR on Day 2.

Last edited:

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been giving some thought to this comment. There was a time when the NFL world generally recognized that Kyle Shanahan placed a major priority on the center position. He had Cal center Alex Mack, a former mid-first round pick at Cleveland. When he became the Offensive Coordinator with Atlanta, he insisted on the Falcons front office bringing Mack to help him unlock his offense. When he got to San Francisco (2017) and faced a complete rebuild, he was stuck with Daniel Kilgore and far bigger holes to fill. But it only took one season of Kilgore to make Kyle pursue Weston Richburg, a former 2nd round pick of the Giants and generally considered a top five center in the NFL. John Lynch gave Richburg a 5-year, $47.5 million deal in 2018. Unfortunately, Richburg struggled to stay healthy - missing end of 2019, spending 2020 on PUP/IR and retiring in 2021. Ben Garland held down the center position in 2020, but Kyle went back to the well and signed Alex Mack for Mack's retirement tour in 2021. Considering this journey at center, Jake Brendel was a bit of an outlier. He was signed when his line coach in Miami, Chris Foerster, was named line coach by Kyle in Santa Clara. So why go budget at center in 2022? This coincides with the 49ers reaching their first salary cap constricted season with Garoppolo being transitioned out, mobile Trey Lance projected as the starter and no firsts and few second round round picks. But armed with both a first and second for the first time since 2021, I can see Kyle Shanahan returning to his formula of a top tier center anchoring the offensive line. I don't see Powers-Johnson being an option, but I would not be surprised if Lynch drafts Barton at 31, or somehow Frazier in the second, or Van Pran in the third.

While Shanahan could double back with a tackle, I am not sure Kyle see the urgency with McKivitz and Feliciano in place. He will likely draft a linemen that needs a bit more development but has a higher ceiling than either of the previously mentioned. If he went OT in first, center in second, I would not be shocked. But if he went center in first, I think he could wait 'til 3rd or 4th for an OT like Rosengarten. I could definitely see Lynch drafts a WR on Day 2.
The other option would be to move Feliciano to C and draft a Christian Haynes type to man RG. Either way, C needs a serious upgrade.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, we need a better Center for sure and for me, drafting one within the first 3 rounds is ok. Going with a rookie C this season is tough but if drafted high enough, this prospect should be ok. He won't be "All - Pro" but shouldn't be a big liability.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The other option would be to move Feliciano to C and draft a Christian Haynes type to man RG. Either way, C needs a serious upgrade.
Has Feliciano played Center before and if so, played it well enough?

If Feliciano can play Center at least to "NFL Average", this is a good suggestion. If the draft falls to where Center isn't good value, then we can't force a Center early on.