• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft, 2024

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Feliciano played Center before and if so, played it well enough?

If Feliciano can play Center at least to "NFL Average", this is a good suggestion. If the draft falls to where Center isn't good value, then we can't force a Center early on.
He played C for the Giants prior to going to BUF. Honestly, I think he is a far better RG, but IMO he was at least NFL average at C, which I don't believe Brendel to be.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Feliciano played Center before and if so, played it well enough?

If Feliciano can play Center at least to "NFL Average", this is a good suggestion. If the draft falls to where Center isn't good value, then we can't force a Center early on.
Why NOT? If one of the top C is on the board, which can upgrade our OL significantly TODAY, why not grab him? There are arguably three dudes in the first 1.5 rounds that could help us IMMEDIATELY. We have few weaknesses on our team but our OL is our most glaring. Of our OL, our C is our weakest link, especially in the run game, where we fail to run between the tackles with any consistency, largely bc of how bad Brendel is in run blocking.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why NOT? If one of the top C is on the board, which can upgrade our OL significantly TODAY, why not grab him? There are arguably three dudes in the first 1.5 rounds that could help us IMMEDIATELY. We have few weaknesses on our team but our OL is our most glaring. Of our OL, our C is our weakest link, especially in the run game, where we fail to run between the tackles with any consistency, largely bc of how bad Brendel is in run blocking.
Yes, I'm fine with Center even if its in Round 1, as long as the talent/value is there. Maybe it'll be there and maybe it won't, because for me it could easily be OT and DT first two Rounds.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I'm fine with Center even if its in Round 1, as long as the talent/value is there. Maybe it'll be there and maybe it won't, because for me it could easily be OT and DT first two Rounds.

If we had the opportunity to get a starting C in Rd 1, despite it being a lower value pick, why wouldn't we? Where else on this Niners team can we get an INSTANT starter with our 1st Rd pick? Is there anyone projecting as an instant starter on our team aside from C or G? Whatever OT that would be there at 31 will be developmental as he would be the 7th-10th OT taken off the board by then. Because G and C are lower value positions, we could get an instant 10-yr starter at the position if we invest in it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we had the opportunity to get a starting C in Rd 1, despite it being a lower value pick, why wouldn't we? Where else on this Niners team can we get an INSTANT starter with our 1st Rd pick? Is there anyone projecting as an instant starter on our team aside from C or G? Whatever OT that would be there at 31 will be developmental as he would be the 7th-10th OT taken off the board by then. Because G and C are lower value positions, we could get an instant 10-yr starter at the position if we invest in it.
Yes, already said I'd be find with Center (#31) if value is there, ie he's an INSTANT starting Center. But you're projecting an instant starting Center, so you're opinion doesn't mean there is one?

If you can project for a Center, what if someone else's projection is an INSTANT starting OT? Again, I'm fine with the best value we can get, just that from what I've been seeing, it could be OT, DT, or even another position, just as it might be Center?

After the draft, i look at all the write ups/Vlogs to see if our pick was 'BPA'? If i can believe he was BPA, then I'm good with it even if its a Center.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Georgia OL Amarius Mims​

If he happens to fall to #31, do we want to draft him?

Trey Lance had limited college and he didn't have time to get up to NFL speed. Mims has even less college experience and although not a QB, won't we fall into a similar (not same) predicament as Lance?

Half a college season and then playing in the NFL?! The NFL is not the place to learn how to play OT, where you will have to play on an island sooner or later.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Georgia OL Amarius Mims​

Trey Lance had limited college and he didn't have time to get up to NFL speed. Mims has even less college experience and although not a QB, won't we fall into a similar (not same) predicament as Lance?

Half a college season and then playing in the NFL?! The NFL is not the place to learn how to play OT, where you will have to play on an island sooner or later.
Nope, he has less playing experience than Lance did when he came to us, started only 8 games. He's a huge developmental project who is a workout warrior.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Georgia OL Amarius Mims​

To be more specific to this, if Jackson Powers-Johnson is on the board, I would RUN my ticket up because he is an obvious upgrade at a position of need. C is a major chess piece in the Shanahan system and JPJ is as good as they get. There isn't a G out there that's worthy of a 1st rd grade IMO.

Outside of JC Latham, there are no OT that may be there at the end of the round that isn't a developmental OT. Latham is someone I would trade up for if we aren't targeting C in the 1st. He has been primarily a RT, is a monster with some technique established, and would be an instant upgrade over McKivitz. Our 1st round pick should be someone who is ready to contribute NOW. Developmental projects are what the other rounds are for.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To be more specific to this, if Jackson Powers-Johnson is on the board, I would RUN my ticket up because he is an obvious upgrade at a position of need. C is a major chess piece in the Shanahan system and JPJ is as good as they get. There isn't a G out there that's worthy of a 1st rd grade IMO.

Outside of JC Latham, there are no OT that may be there at the end of the round that isn't a developmental OT. Latham is someone I would trade up for if we aren't targeting C in the 1st. He has been primarily a RT, is a monster with some technique established, and would be an instant upgrade over McKivitz. Our 1st round pick should be someone who is ready to contribute NOW. Developmental projects are what the other rounds are for.
i've looked at quite a few Mock drafts and it doesn't seem like JPJ will be there. Zach Frazier might be there but not JPJ. But for it doesn't matter because I could believe Frazier was the best value at #31.

Hoping for JPJ at #31 is fine but the odds are similar to Byron Murphy or Jerzhan Newton being there too. :-)

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've looked at quite a few Mock drafts and it doesn't seem like JPJ will be there. Zach Frazier might be there but not JPJ. But for it doesn't matter because I could believe Frazier was the best value at #31.

Hoping for JPJ at #31 is fine but the odds are similar to Byron Murphy or Jerzhan Newton being there too. :-)
If JPJ slipped past 24, I would trade up to get him. Even if Murphy or Newton were there.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I feel that PHI may draft him with their 1st pick since Kelse is retired and their OL is the strength of their team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel that PHI may draft him with their 1st pick since Kelse is retired and their OL is the strength of their team.
Makes sense to me.

Again, I could believe Frazier is our BPA at #31, and he'd be a good addition beginning this season. He may or may not start game 1 but he'd eventually be the starting Center this season. He'd be the best physically, but he may need time making line calls?

I want an OT first as much as the next 49er fan, but these guys projected at #31, all need development. Very good prospects from a physical standpoint, but lack of performance makes me wary. Plus, they may or may not pan out even after a year of development. Mims is the best example of this, very risky despite all of his athletic traits. So if they all need development, maybe the next Tier makes more sense?

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense to me.

Again, I could believe Frazier is our BPA at #31, and he'd be a good addition beginning this season. He may or may not start game 1 but he'd eventually be the starting Center this season. He'd be the best physically, but he may need time making line calls?

I want an OT first as much as the next 49er fan, but these guys projected at #31, all need development. Very good prospects from a physical standpoint, but lack of performance makes me wary. Plus, they may or may not pan out even after a year of development. Mims is the best example of this, very risky despite all of his athletic traits. So if they all need development, maybe the next Tier makes more sense?
I would be perfectly fine with Frazier and believe Frazier to be nastier and have better upside than JPJ. JPJ is a day one starter whereas Frazier may need a little bit of time to develop better technique. JPJ is so much cleaner in his footwork and hand placement. Frazier plays like he woke up on the wrong side of the bed...every day!

I heard on a podcast (can't remember which) that the Niners have been asking around for price tag in order to move up into the teens. The word is they are eyeing the OT from Oregon State, Taliese Fuaga. Fuaga has a rare size and quickness combo that would be an instant upgrade from McKivitz for sure...and he's nasty as well! The day one upgrades in this draft IMO at RT are Latham, Fuaga, Alt, and maybe Fautanu, who I see more as a top tier G prospect. The rest of the OT prospects seem to need technique and/or weight room/management work.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would be perfectly fine with Frazier and believe Frazier to be nastier and have better upside than JPJ. JPJ is a day one starter whereas Frazier may need a little bit of time to develop better technique. JPJ is so much cleaner in his footwork and hand placement. Frazier plays like he woke up on the wrong side of the bed...every day!

I heard on a podcast (can't remember which) that the Niners have been asking around for price tag in order to move up into the teens. The word is they are eyeing the OT from Oregon State, Taliese Fuaga. Fuaga has a rare size and quickness combo that would be an instant upgrade from McKivitz for sure...and he's nasty as well! The day one upgrades in this draft IMO at RT are Latham, Fuaga, Alt, and maybe Fautanu, who I see more as a top tier G prospect. The rest of the OT prospects seem to need technique and/or weight room/management work.
From what i see either JPJ an Frazier can start game 1. Like any rookie either will need to work on things.

To get the OT that can start game 1, will likely take our 1st and 2nd round picks. In a good class for O-line, I can't help but wonder if this is a good move? If we trade up a little bit then ok, because we can retain our 2nd rounder.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 49ers used to dominate Day 3 of the NFL Draft.
That's where they got George Kittle, Dre Greenlaw, Talanoa Hufanga, Deommodore Lenoir, Jauan Jennings and Colton McKivitz. But the past two years, with the exception of Brock Purdy, the 49ers have completely struck out on Day 3. And that's because the talent pool for the draft is getting thinner and thinner every year.

"The number of underclassmen declaring this year was incredibly low—just 58," writes Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer. "That’s three years after the number hit an all-time high (130), and capped a five-year run where the number was in triple digits annually. The NIL era in college sports began in 2021, and changed everything about major college football. At a baseline, the combination of NIL and the portal has set off bidding wars for players and, in turn, created options for guys looking to get paid for their services. No longer does the prospective sixth-round pick have to leave the college game to get his money. So in a lot of cases, those guys are returning to school, collecting as much cash as they can for the extra year, and getting another season of tape for the NFL in the process...it’s not helping the depth of this year’s draft class. Day 3 will be barren with talent, relative to what it was a few years ago, which will impact the earlier rounds by making it more difficult to use those picks to trade up or down."
ADVERTISEMENT

This year, the 49ers have a whopping seven draft picks on Day 3. That's seven picks on players who might not be good enough to make the 53-man roster. The 49ers need to find a way to package those picks together and trade into Day 2 so they can get some actually impact players for a change.

Interesting take?! Don't know how true this is but if 'mainly' true, then what other team will trade for our Day 3 picks?

Anyway, if they can use day 3 picks to trade up in earlier rounds, then fine with me. If they can get 2025 drat picks, then fine with me. After watching so many 49er mock drafts, OPs are 'forcing' the last 2-3 picks anyway.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

We all know what the needs are but i hope they lean t BPA. Get prospects that have the best chances of panning out, not one where you're REALLY hoping he will. A good example of this is Mims from Georgia, to me we could easily make a similar mistake as Lance. Anyway, as it turns out, we need an OT and C, and this is a good year for it. BPA and Need could easily match on days 1 and 2.

If your picks don't pan out or doesn't look like he will, then we're back to square one the next draft. An example of this is Latu granted he did get hurt.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
philly and atlanta ar gonna be punished by he nfl for tampering with cousins and saquon while they were still under contract.atlanta probably harsher.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We all know what the needs are but i hope they lean t BPA. Get prospects that have the best chances of panning out, not one where you're REALLY hoping he will. A good example of this is Mims from Georgia, to me we could easily make a similar mistake as Lance. Anyway, as it turns out, we need an OT and C, and this is a good year for it. BPA and Need could easily match on days 1 and 2.

If your picks don't pan out or doesn't look like he will, then we're back to square one the next draft. An example of this is Latu granted he did get hurt.
As for Breer's list, interesting.

I could see us going OT if one drops or even see us moving up a few spots to land a OC/OG that we like like Powers-Johnson. He would step immediately into the RG spot and could slide over to center as early as next year.

I get his point that the Niners are more likely to land a quality WR at 31 than we are a quality OT. Having said that, this is a OT-rich draft and if we're gonna move up a few spots for a OT that falls, this would be the year.

I could also see some surprising defensive talent fall right into our laps--if all the Qbs and the OTs are gone that means that defensive players are much more likely to be there at 31. That could lead us to trade down or, heaven-forbid, use an early draft pick on a CB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As for Breer's list, interesting.

I could see us going OT if one drops or even see us moving up a few spots to land a OC/OG that we like like Powers-Johnson. He would step immediately into the RG spot and could slide over to center as early as next year.

I get his point that the Niners are more likely to land a quality WR at 31 than we are a quality OT. Having said that, this is a OT-rich draft and if we're gonna move up a few spots for a OT that falls, this would be the year.

I could also see some surprising defensive talent fall right into our laps--if all the Qbs and the OTs are gone that means that defensive players are much more likely to be there at 31. That could lead us to trade down or, heaven-forbid, use an early draft pick on a CB.
I can see us moving up to land the OT we want, but not for a C as good as JPJ or Frazier are.

Assuming no trade up, I think if either of the top 2 DT's fall to #31, they'll draft him. As much as I'm hoping for an OT or even C at 31st, getting a top DT is good too.

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fear Kyle Shanahan hubris. I fear he thinks he is the smartest guy in the building, or at least enjoys the challenge of proving it. We all saw how the offensive line failed against AFC teams last season (Chiefs, Ravens, Browns, Bengals) and it cost the 49ers the Super Bowl. But in Kyle's mind, he got to a play or two from winning the Super Bowl with a piecemeal line. Even the front office knows this is a mediocre line, that is why they are paying their starting center $4.5M a year over next three year, and extended their left tackle at $4M a year. Even those players and their agents know those are backup salaries. They know they would not start elsewhere. Having said that, the 49ers did not draft an offensive lineman last year, they did not upgrade the offensive lineman in free agency this year, and we can all see them moving off OT at 31 for a defensive lineman or receiver. I mean, why are they meeting with Marshawn Kneeland at Santa Clara? David Lombardi has them drafting DE Darius Robinson, and Matt Barrows has them drafting DT Johnny Newton. At best, either is part of a rotation.