• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

my honest appraisal of RG3 and questions on what to do

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, it will not be a current starter, but a QB like Cousins that has been parked on the bench for a few years but is talented. I haven't looked at NFL rosters close enough to have names. But they are out there. They may or may not solve the problem. But what they will do is potentially light a fire under RG3's ass in that he is now in an open competition for his career. He's never been in that situation. Colt and KC will not beat him out. If it comes to this, we need new blood.

Or we could do what you seem to believe and put RG3 on a pedestal and continue to tell him that he is the best, smartest, most valuable player on the team and he can do what ever he wants. I assume this is what you want since you didn't offer anything but criticism of other's suggestions.

As I've said how many of these guys can you name that have panned out and turned out to be better than the Robert Griffin we have today? And this is assuming Griff never improves a lick. Matt Schaub? Probably but he was just good enough to get you beat and never won anything. And that's the best example I can think of off the top of my head. We have to go all the way back to Brett Favre or maybe, maybe, Jim Zorn who also won nothing. Rich Gannon was a great example but we all know that was a fluke and it took 9 stops before he landed in the right spot. Call me crazy but this is NEVER the right spot for something like that to happen.

On the other side of the coin there are a million stories like Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, Elvis Grbac, Scott Mitchell....that list goes on forever.

No thanks.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, here are a couple of names. TJ Yates. Matt Moore. Brian Hoyer. Derek Anderson. Ryan Mallett. Matt Flynn. Mark Sanchez. Not world beaters by any means, but they are all experienced pocket passers that could do well in a gruden style offense. Oh, and they are all FAs next year.

You can't seriously believe that any of these guys will turn into QBs capable of taking a team to the playoffs and contending for a Super Bowl year after year can you? Why in the world would we bail on a 24 year old Robert Griffin for this case of losers?

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in all fairness it is too early to give up on KC either . His game is different . he relies on pre snap . if he knows what up he does well more experience could help there

however he wasnt the panacea he was made out to be either

but back to the plan at QB

All I heard for over a year was Kirk Cousins was a better option than Robert. Well he wasn't, it's just that simple.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't seriously believe that any of these guys will turn into QBs capable of taking a team to the playoffs and contending for a Super Bowl year after year can you? Why in the world would we bail on a 24 year old Robert Griffin for this case of losers?

Funny, that's what they said about Brees and Warner.

Also, read my previous post. When did I ever say bail or RG3?

You have such a love affair with RG3 that you can't stand it if even someone suggests we bring in competition.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I've said how many of these guys can you name that have panned out and turned out to be better than the Robert Griffin we have today? And this is assuming Griff never improves a lick. Matt Schaub? Probably but he was just good enough to get you beat and never won anything. And that's the best example I can think of off the top of my head. We have to go all the way back to Brett Favre or maybe, maybe, Jim Zorn who also won nothing. Rich Gannon was a great example but we all know that was a fluke and it took 9 stops before he landed in the right spot. Call me crazy but this is NEVER the right spot for something like that to happen.

On the other side of the coin there are a million stories like Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, Elvis Grbac, Scott Mitchell....that list goes on forever.

No thanks.

So your solution is????????

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlike you we judged both Cousins and Griffin fairly, by what they did on the field and not by what the teeam did or did not give up for them. You dismiss the entire 2012 season as a fluke yet continued to hang your hat on one good game by Cousins that year, in Cleveland.

We tried to explain to you what Cousins was. You excused it away by claiming the last 3 games last year somehow did not count. Then you call the Griff fans who have acknowledges Griff's shortcomings as nothing more than excuse makers. Then Cousins turns out to be exactly what I told you he was. Seriously dude how can we take your opinion on the QB seriously after what I've seen from you.

And I have tried to explain to you what Griffin is and you gloss it over with the but he could be so GREAT line of thinking. I have admitted to Cousins short comings. I have never claimed that he would be the next great QB. At most I claimed you could not get a fair assessment of Cousins based on three games played out at the end of a lame duck season. Nor can you fairly judge him on five games where he basically had to play flawless for the chance to be traded, or he would be condemned to being a waste which according to most around here he has been. There is a huge double standard for both players and I get that. What I dont and will never get is how the chosen one gets every benefit of the doubt and a lowering of the standards, while any one else gets the he needs to play flawless and win and even then he wouldnt be good enough in the eyes of many. IM over it dude. Im a hater in a world full of RG3 fanboys. Glad we cleared that up.

Next debate.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, that's what they said about Brees and Warner.

Also, read my previous post. When did I ever say bail or RG3?

You have such a love affair with RG3 that you can't stand it if even someone suggests we bring in competition.

Ah I forgot about Brees. THAT is a great example.

I wouldn't call it a love affair to say that Ryan Mallett has not earned the right to complete with Robert Griffin. I'd call it common sense an so would most people I would think. Please help me understand what would justify opening up the job to a competition between Griff and Ryan Mallet who last time I checked has always sucked. Is Blaine Gabbert and Jamarcus Russell also on your list? Hell I hear Vince Young's available.

:lol:.

Last edited by a moderator:

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't call it a love affair to say that Ryan Mallett has not earned the right to complete with Robert Griffin. I'd call it common sense an so would most people I would think. Please help me understand what would justify opening up the job to a competition between Griff and Ryan Mallet who last time I check sucked.

Maybe its not Mallett. Maybe its one of the others. The point is that these are all pocket type passers that could potentially succeed in a Gruden style offense.

Still haven't heard your solution.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I have tried to explain to you what Griffin is and you gloss it over with the but he could be so GREAT line of thinking. I have admitted to Cousins short comings. I have never claimed that he would be the next great QB. At most I claimed you could not get a fair assessment of Cousins based on three games played out at the end of a lame duck season. Nor can you fairly judge him on five games where he basically had to play flawless for the chance to be traded, or he would be condemned to being a waste which according to most around here he has been. There is a huge double standard for both players and I get that. What I dont and will never get is how the chosen one gets every benefit of the doubt and a lowering of the standards, while any one else gets the he needs to play flawless and win and even then he wouldnt be good enough in the eyes of many. IM over it dude. Im a hater in a world full of RG3 fanboys. Glad we cleared that up.

Next debate.

I wish I could say the debate is over but we both know we just can't help ourselves. :yahoo:

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't call it a love affair to say that Ryan Mallett has not earned the right to complete with Robert Griffin. I'd call it common sense an so would most people I would think. Please help me understand what would justify opening up the job to a competition between Griff and Ryan Mallet who last time I checked has always sucked. Is Blaine Gabbert and Jamarcus Russell also on your list? Hell I hear Vince Young's available.

:lol:.

Actually, herein lies the problem. You seem to think that RG3 is playing well enough, don't you? How could we ever think that a low life like Mallett could ever compete with a guy that is 3-13 over his last 16 starts? That, my friend, is a love affair.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe its not Mallett. Maybe its one of the others. The point is that these are all pocket type passers that could potentially succeed in a Gruden style offense.

Still haven't heard your solution.

I''ve given my solution so many times I would think you would be sick of it by now. Stick with the guy who has shown to be great for the next year and a half because he's the best option we've got. There is absolutely no reason to bail when he is still under contract through next year. Ride that train for the next year and a half, then see where you are. To bail on him at this point is a panic move, the very type of move that this team has been criticized for making. Those very same people now want to do what they have criticized this team's management for doing. This is especially true now that Gruden is using the offense that best fits him, something many said he would never do.

Griff is also doing a better job of protecting himself with the slide and the runs out of bounds. He also owned up to his shortcomings in the post game presser These are all things the haters criticized him for and he has changed. Maybe he can learn to be a better pocket passer. Hell even if he doesn't with a better line he can surely be better than the stiffs on your list IMO.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, herein lies the problem. You seem to think that RG3 is playing well enough, don't you? How could we ever think that a low life like Mallett could ever compete with a guy that is 3-13 over his last 16 starts? That, my friend, is a love affair.

Now that is just idiotic. Name me one thing that Mallet has ever done in this league. We all understand that the record is not all on the QB, why would you even make this post?

I also never said Griff was playing well enough. I said he played OK on Sunday but needed to do better. I also believe he has a great chance to do just that, play better. Mallet does not have that ability.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I''ve given my solution so many times I would think you would be sick of it by now. Stick with the guy who has shown to be great for the next year and a half because he's the best option we've got. There is absolutely no reason to bail when he is still under contract through next year. Ride that train for the next year and a half, then see where you are. To bail on him at this point is a panic move, the very type of move that this team has been criticized for making. Those very same people now want to do what they have criticized this team's management for doing. This is especially true now that Gruden is using the offense that best fits him, something many said he would never do.

Griff is also doing a better job of protecting himself with the slide and the runs out of bounds. He also owned up to his shortcomings in the post game presser These are all things the haters criticized him for and he has changed. Maybe he can learn to be a better pocket passer. Hell even if he doesn't with a better line he can surely be better than the stiffs on your list IMO.

This whole argument supposes that Robert doesn't develop. Hate to burst your bubble, but he isn't great. He had one great year where we surprised everyone with a gimmick offense. He needs to develop a skill set that does not come natural to him. Its questionable if he can. I have been vocal about giving him the opportunity. But at some point if he doesn't improve, we have to look elsewhere. You seem to think that expecting any growth by the end of the year is not fair. I disagree. If he is still making the same mistakes at the end of the season as he is now with regularity, then it would seem to me that he can't make the transition. Moreover, there is real chance that his career will be cut short by injury. So given all this and by your own admission Colt and KC are not viable alternatives, why not look to bring in competition if he isn't progressing? What are you afraid of? His ego might be hurt?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that is just idiotic. Name me one thing that Mallet has ever done in this league. We all understand that the record is not all on the QB, why would you even make this post?

I also never said Griff was playing well enough. I said he played OK on Sunday but needed to do better. I also believe he has a great chance to do just that, play better. Mallet does not have that ability.

And your basing your professional opinion on Mallet based on what?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"what about colt ? do you believe his texas career means more then what his pro career has shown . do you believe he can carry us to the promised land a la peyton manning ? he does have the best pocket awareness on the team and he is mobile . do you think he is avg and can you build the team around him ?"

Here are my obviously biased thoughts (b/c yep I'm a Horns fan). Colt was sent to Cleveland, where QB's go to die. It is truly the graveyard for QB's. That's where he had to start out. If anyone here can name me 1 great offensive player they ever put around him - you get a cookie. Then Colt went to SF, where he backed up Kaepernick and never played. Basically, we have no idea how good he can be as a pro.

But he has played 2 games for you guys. Those 2 games are better than anything RGIII or KC have put up. 92% completion percentage, for a comeback win? Who does that? Followed up by an 83% completion percentage to beat a 6-1 team on the road? Wow. Crazy accurate. What was he known for in college - Crazy accurate.

I could never imagine benching a player who has given me 87% completion, and a 2-0 record including a comeback and a road win over a rival.

:noidea:

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And your basing your professional opinion on Mallet based on what?

Do I really need to post my resume to have the opinion of a guy who is not very good by saying he is not very good? Hell don't take my word for it, BB is one of the best minds in the game. He saw the guy for 2 years, made his assessment and then traded him for a conditional pick that won't be higher than a 6th. WTF are we even arguing here? Ryan Mallett? Are you kidding me?

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole argument supposes that Robert doesn't develop. Hate to burst your bubble, but he isn't great. He had one great year where we surprised everyone with a gimmick offense. He needs to develop a skill set that does not come natural to him. Its questionable if he can. I have been vocal about giving him the opportunity. But at some point if he doesn't improve, we have to look elsewhere. You seem to think that expecting any growth by the end of the year is not fair. I disagree. If he is still making the same mistakes at the end of the season as he is now with regularity, then it would seem to me that he can't make the transition. Moreover, there is real chance that his career will be cut short by injury. So given all this and by your own admission Colt and KC are not viable alternatives, why not look to bring in competition if he isn't progressing? What are you afraid of? His ego might be hurt?

I never said he was great now. I said he has been great in the past and has that potential, more so than any other solution I have seen presented.

Please get my position straight.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

we have run the WCO offense the whole time Rg3 has been in the nfl . the read option is a play . it has been used on less then 10% of all of his pro snaps

when will you get this right ?

we dont run the veer , we run the WCO

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have run the WCO offense the whole time Rg3 has been in the nfl . the read option is a play . it has been used on less then 10% of all of his pro snaps

How about we say we run a West Coast Offense that is heavily predicated on the Read Option plays and looks and leave it at that.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've got it right. Not sure what you are talking about.