• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts On Alvin Kamara, And The Possibility Of His Release From The Saints

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Saints currently sit at $83,600,000+ over the cap ... Sean Payton has demonstrated a propensity for bringing in guys he is familiar with ... In fact, just last week, Payton mentioned Kamara's name when he was talking about not being seduced by the media and hype regarding QBs in the draft ...

“Here’s what I do know. Let’s say, hypothetically there are six or seven [quarterbacks] that are taken in the first round. How many end up hitting on? Two? So are we in love with any of them? Or do we just — if you’re not careful, you can get on this NFL van and you’re on the van and the internet and the experts and it’s like, ‘Oh this is who you’re supposed to take.’ Don’t get on the NFL van. Just listen to it,” Payton explained.

“Because if we get on the NFL van, we never draft Alvin Kamara,” the head coach continued."

Sean Payton obviously thinks highly of Alvin Kamara

The Saints could choose to cut him with a post-June 1 release date, a move that would save the team $11.7 million against the cap ...

Kamara missed the first three games of the 2023 season due to a suspension stemming from an altercation at a hotel ...

If the price was right, how would you feel about Alvin Kamara becoming a Bronco ?

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're in the same boat the Saints are in, and both Paton and Payton have said they won't make any splashes this year on FA other than trying to sign their own.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is very cheap on a one year deal fine as we do need more in the RB room, but I bet he gets a better contract elsewhere as he was pretty productive overall last year with over 1000 scrimmage yards. He isn't an every down back anymore though, more of a rotation guy IMO.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're in the same boat the Saints are in, and both Paton and Payton have said they won't make any splashes this year on FA other than trying to sign their own.
I think the Saints' boat has a few more leaks than the Broncos' -- we're at $24,000,000 right now compared to the Saints' whopping $83,000,000

Do you think Kamara might be willing to play for Sean Payton under a team-friendly contract ??

I think if both sides wanted this, it would be possible, financially

I think Javonte Williams is a good back .. However, even before his injury, I never quite saw the glowing praise that was being heaped on him, esp from non Bronco followers in the media ..... Williams was never - and IMHO, will never be a "great" RB .. even if he returns to his potential, he is not a guy who will take over in a situation ...

The question with Kamara is -- he's just about the same age as Dalvin Cook, and Cook, for example, has had a noticeable drop in production over the past year ..

Does Kamara have enough left to be a difference maker ?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be 29 in the 2024-2025 season. That's getting long in the tooth for a running back. His yards per carry have been low the last three years and his yards per reception were too low last year, even for an RB. His touches per game have been dropping for three straight years.

Time for the Saints to give the ball to a younger guy.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be 29 in the 2024-2025 season. That's getting long in the tooth for a running back. His yards per carry have been low the last three years and his yards per reception were too low last year, even for an RB. His touches per game have been dropping for three straight years.

Time for the Saints to give the ball to a younger guy.
Polar Vortex, what's up with the Pens ?? ... Is Sullivan part of the problem ??

Awful OT goal the other night

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Saints' boat has a few more leaks than the Broncos' -- we're at $24,000,000 right now compared to the Saints' whopping $83,000,000

Do you think Kamara might be willing to play for Sean Payton under a team-friendly contract ??

I think if both sides wanted this, it would be possible, financially

I think Javonte Williams is a good back .. However, even before his injury, I never quite saw the glowing praise that was being heaped on him, esp from non Bronco followers in the media ..... Williams was never - and IMHO, will never be a "great" RB .. even if he returns to his potential, he is not a guy who will take over in a situation ...

The question with Kamara is -- he's just about the same age as Dalvin Cook, and Cook, for example, has had a noticeable drop in production over the past year ..

Does Kamara have enough left to be a difference maker ?
Which lineman are you willing to let walk for Kamara? Remember that we might be 24 million over the cap, but we'll likely be saddled with some kind of dead cap hit no matter what we do with Wilson.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be surprised if he gets released. Saints have already changed their offense with a heavy emphasize on Kamara's role. outside zone runs and a lot of motion to get Kamar more space in the open field. I think you also have to be careful with Kamara. He really fell off last year. He is nearing 30 and speed backs like him start slowing down rather quickly. If he is a surprise release I would be ok with a 1 year deal but I think this might be his last real "decent" year before he really sputters off. Saints are in some cap hurt. Taysom Hill's contract is pathetic when you consider he is getting paid more next year then McCaffrey and Kelce. I would start with his contract if I were the Saints.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which lineman are you willing to let walk for Kamara? Remember that we might be 24 million over the cap, but we'll likely be saddled with some kind of dead cap hit no matter what we do with Wilson.
I'm not completely sold on the Broncos bringing in Kamara, it would really hinge on what he'd be willing to accept financially ... I think he would help the offense, but I'm not sure these short term signings are the right thing ... If there wasn;t the familiarity with Sean Payton, my interest would be next to zero ..

Then again, if Kamara never played for Payton, he probably isn't the back he became ..

Kamara or not, I think DJ Jones is at the top of the list as far as clearing space ... and as much as it pains me because I love his game, Tim Patrick is right there on the list ...

A lot hinges on the draft ..

No team is going to be successful without good tackles on the OL -- but I'm not even sure McGlinchey even falls into that category at this point ... i think we'd save 17.5 million ( ? ) ....

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kamara is not the impact player he used to be. Maybe that can be attributed to less effective run blocking. Maybe it can be attributed to current QBs less effective at setting up RB screens than Brees was. And maybe he is just an aging, soon-to-be, 29 year old RB. Whatever the reason, his effectiveness does not justify the money he charges against the cap.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kamara is not the impact player he used to be. Maybe that can be attributed to less effective run blocking. Maybe it can be attributed to current QBs less effective at setting up RB screens than Brees was. And maybe he is just an aging, soon-to-be, 29 year old RB. Whatever the reason, his effectiveness does not justify the money he charges against the cap.
Good to see another Pens fan posting here

All of a sudden, they're three points out of a playoff spot .. Not dead yet

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see another Pens fan posting here

All of a sudden, they're three points out of a playoff spot .. Not dead yet
Keep your pens in your pants. Nobody wants you flinging it around in every thread.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep your pens in your pants. Nobody wants you flinging it around in every thread.
Kind of a Penal Coloney following you around all the time.