• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Lottery Day Thread

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
glad they got to keep the pick and I hope they don't trade it and just stick with Simmons/Ingram while adding a FA or two.

will most likely lose the 1st next year as the team will be more improved and not have a top 3 pick, but things are definitely moving in the right direction.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that was certainly a relief. Huge piece to have moving forward. Can't really mess this up. Either draft Simmons or Ingram. Possibly trade it but not if it costs too many others. Hopefully this is the start of a successful offseason.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for trading the pick, you gotta field offers, and you have to call up and do your due diligence as well.I mean who knows what kind of offer we may or my not receive....but for the here and now, I'll just assume that we'll be sticking with Simmons/Ingram

Agree. The Lakers have to practice their due diligence. They have to listen to every offer that is made. As you say, you never know what a team will offer. If, for example, they had an offer for the pick and one of the young guys for PG13 or Butler, that is something you'd have to strongly consider.

Also, I think Luke will have a lot of influence on who they target in FA/trades. I also think that many FA's will be intrigued by Luke and what he will bring.

This is the most optimistic I have been going into the off-season since the Dwight/Nash trades.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
will most likely lose the 1st next year as the team will be more improved and not have a top 3 pick, but things are definitely moving in the right direction.

I don't think it's protected next year, so Philly will get the pick no matter what. The goal now is to make it so that pick is as far outside the top 10 as possible.

The 2nd round pick will be interesting. By keeping the first round pick, it means there is less pressure on getting the 2nd round pick right. Perhaps they take a chance on a project like Thon Maker.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's protected next year, so Philly will get the pick no matter what. The goal now is to make it so that pick is as far outside the top 10 as possible.

The 2nd round pick will be interesting. By keeping the first round pick, it means there is less pressure on getting the 2nd round pick right. Perhaps they take a chance on a project like Thon Maker.

it's was top 3 protected for this year and next, unprotected in 2018 from the trade breakdown I saw.

also, as much as Butler or PG13 would help the team, I wouldn't want to give up 2 young pieces to get one of them. I think they have to avoid trading any of their young core plus the 1st to get a vet. at best that would be a lateral move, not a jump forward.

for instance, if they had to trade Clarkson or Russell and the 1st for one of those guys, is that really making the team better? I don't think so. they would be giving up too much.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's was top 3 protected for this year and next, unprotected in 2018 from the trade breakdown I saw.

also, as much as Butler or PG13 would help the team, I wouldn't want to give up 2 young pieces to get one of them. I think they have to avoid trading any of their young core plus the 1st to get a vet. at best that would be a lateral move, not a jump forward.

for instance, if they had to trade Clarkson or Russell and the 1st for one of those guys, is that really making the team better? I don't think so. they would be giving up too much.

You may be right, but I'm pretty sure the breakdown I saw has them losing it next year no matter what. Whatever the case though, I disagree about bringing someone like PG13 not making the team better. If they were to give up the 1st rounder and Clarkson or Russell, the team is better because PG13 is a better player than they are. He also plays the position that whichever guy the Lakers take is being drafted to play.

Also, you have to factor in free agency. While I think the Lakers young core and Luke as coach make them more attractive to FA's than they have been for the past few seasons, I think the young core minus Russell or Clarkson, but with an all star like PG13 and Luke coaching will look even better.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right, but I'm pretty sure the breakdown I saw has them losing it next year no matter what. Whatever the case though, I disagree about bringing someone like PG13 not making the team better. If they were to give up the 1st rounder and Clarkson or Russell, the team is better because PG13 is a better player than they are. He also plays the position that whichever guy the Lakers take is being drafted to play.

Also, you have to factor in free agency. While I think the Lakers young core and Luke as coach make them more attractive to FA's than they have been for the past few seasons, I think the young core minus Russell or Clarkson, but with an all star like PG13 and Luke coaching will look even better.
I hope they don't do that. I don't think giving up a 1st and Clarkson for Pg13 makes this team any better. It also makes us older. Not a good move IMO. You take Simmons or Ingram., keep the youngsters and add a vet in free agency. If this was a veteran team needing one final piece, I would do it , but the Lakers are far from it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they don't do that. I don't think giving up a 1st and Clarkson for Pg13 makes this team any better. It also makes us older. Not a good move IMO. You take Simmons or Ingram., keep the youngsters and add a vet in free agency. If this was a veteran team needing one final piece, I would do it , but the Lakers are far from it.

Paul George is only 26 years old. He's literally just entering his prime and he has a cap friendly salary. As for a veteran team needing him. This isn't some role player. This is an all star player. This is also a guy who actually got better in the playoffs in every statistical category.

The question is how does that NOT make the team better? Especially when you factor in that the addition of George makes the Lakers more attractive to top FA's.

Everyone is saying that the Lakers are going to make a run at Whiteside. Do they not become more attractive to him with a talent like PG13?

What about the next FA period when Russell Westbrook is available? Don't you think he might be interested in a Lakers teams with PG13, Whiteside, Russell and Randle?

Obviously, this all speculation. For all anyone knows, PG13 may be perfectly happy where he is and it's seems unlikely that Larry Bird is going to want to do anything to help the Lakers get better. Those old rivalries run deep. :lol:

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. The Lakers have to practice their due diligence. They have to listen to every offer that is made. As you say, you never know what a team will offer. If, for example, they had an offer for the pick and one of the young guys for PG13 or Butler, that is something you'd have to strongly consider.

Also, I think Luke will have a lot of influence on who they target in FA/trades. I also think that many FA's will be intrigued by Luke and what he will bring.

This is the most optimistic I have been going into the off-season since the Dwight/Nash trades.
Speaking of Luke, Harrison Barnes is starting to impress me, more and more by each game. I'm sure he'll stay in GS, but he's a guy worth wasting some time on in a recruitment summer meeting

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Luke, Harrison Barnes is starting to impress me, more and more by each game. I'm sure he'll stay in GS, but he's a guy worth wasting some time on in a recruitment summer meeting

Agree. I'm pretty high on Barnes. Problem is, he's an SF and that's what the Lakers will be drafting. I think that if he leaves the Warriors, it will be to go to a team where he will have a larger role. I doubt he'll want to be coming off the Lakers bench when he can win titles coming off of GSW's bench. Also, the Lakers aren't going to be drafting Ingram or Simmons to come off the bench.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul George is only 26 years old. He's literally just entering his prime and he has a cap friendly salary. As for a veteran team needing him. This isn't some role player. This is an all star player. This is also a guy who actually got better in the playoffs in every statistical category.

The question is how does that NOT make the team better? Especially when you factor in that the addition of George makes the Lakers more attractive to top FA's.

Everyone is saying that the Lakers are going to make a run at Whiteside. Do they not become more attractive to him with a talent like PG13?

What about the next FA period when Russell Westbrook is available? Don't you think he might be interested in a Lakers teams with PG13, Whiteside, Russell and Randle?

Obviously, this all speculation. For all anyone knows, PG13 may be perfectly happy where he is and it's seems unlikely that Larry Bird is going to want to do anything to help the Lakers get better. Those old rivalries run deep. :lol:
As for Westbrook, I have a theory(sort of pie in the skyish) that's working out perfectly so far. KD imo needed to get by SA for him to sign that 1 yr deal. Now what needs to happen next year, is that we need OKC to get bounced before the Finals again(hopefully that happens this year). Also, we need our youngins to have a good showing next as well. Then in the summer, Kd, Westbrook, and James Harden will all be in free agency. Now I don't know what the cap will be like next summer, and we may have to do some things to pull it off, but selling Durant on OKC west coast(or even with just Westbrook) is the best shot we have in my opinion. Now, that would impact our young core in some ways, but I assume that we all think that if you have the opportunity to do that, or get two of three, you gotta kick the tires, and see if you can make that happen.

Oh and as for PG, I agree on all fronts. Dude is a legit star

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I'm pretty high on Barnes. Problem is, he's an SF and that's what the Lakers will be drafting. I think that if he leaves the Warriors, it will be to go to a team where he will have a larger role. I doubt he'll want to be coming off the Lakers bench when he can win titles coming off of GSW's bench. Also, the Lakers aren't going to be drafting Ingram or Simmons to come off the bench.
My idea would be to start Ingram at the 2(he's 190 pounds), start Barnes at the 3, and bring JC off the bench

Last edited:

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My idea would be to start Ingram at the 2(he's 190 pounds), start Barnes at the 3, and bring JC off the bench
I like that idea.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Does he want to join a team that already has their PG set? Regardless, if Durant stays this year, I doubt Westbrook leaves either.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does he want to join a team that already has their PG set? Regardless, if Durant stays this year, I doubt Westbrook leaves either.

Imo, that's the beauty of Russell being a bit of a combo guard. He can be the PG or the SG. Also, even though his assists have gone up over the past few years, Westbrook is still more of a "score first" PG, so playing him as the "next Kobe" at SG shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Also, I think whether or not Westbrook leaves will depend a lot on what happens the next couple of seasons. If OKC doesn't make the finals this year, KD does what most expect and signs a 1 year deal in OKC and they don't make the finals again...then I think there's a good chance he leaves because their window in OKC might be closing quickly. If the Lakers are looking good, he may decide that his chances are better in LA.

OKC's FO has shown that they will pay to keep KD and Westbrook, but they haven't really shown that they will pay to add the pieces they need to actually win a title. The Lakers have a history of paying whatever is necessary to win a title.

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is the Lakers like Simmons over Ingram because Simmons is more in the power forward mode being an inch and half taller and nearly 260lbs. Ingram is a smallish 185-190lbs at 6'9. The Lakers are going to focus on rebuilding their front court per Mitch's recent interview.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, that's the beauty of Russell being a bit of a combo guard. He can be the PG or the SG. Also, even though his assists have gone up over the past few years, Westbrook is still more of a "score first" PG, so playing him as the "next Kobe" at SG shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Also, I think whether or not Westbrook leaves will depend a lot on what happens the next couple of seasons. If OKC doesn't make the finals this year, KD does what most expect and signs a 1 year deal in OKC and they don't make the finals again...then I think there's a good chance he leaves because their window in OKC might be closing quickly. If the Lakers are looking good, he may decide that his chances are better in LA.

OKC's FO has shown that they will pay to keep KD and Westbrook, but they haven't really shown that they will pay to add the pieces they need to actually win a title. The Lakers have a history of paying whatever is necessary to win a title.

Combo guard or not, Russ is ball-dominant. Any guard playing with him might as well be a spot-up shooter, as he won't touch the ball much otherwise.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Combo guard or not, Russ is ball-dominant. Any guard playing with him might as well be a spot-up shooter, as he won't touch the ball much otherwise.

Really? I didn't see him as being all that ball dominant. I thought he and Clarkson did a pretty good job of sharing the PG duties much of the time.

To be fair though, it could be hard to tell since whatever the hell offense that was that Byron had them running, wasn't exactly consistent. Hopefully, Luke will be able to define everyone's roles a bit more clearly.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I didn't see him as being all that ball dominant. I thought he and Clarkson did a pretty good job of sharing the PG duties much of the time.

To be fair though, it could be hard to tell since whatever the hell offense that was that Byron had them running, wasn't exactly consistent. Hopefully, Luke will be able to define everyone's roles a bit more clearly.

By Russ I meant Westbrook.