• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles Mock Off-Season w/4 Rd Mock

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
** Will do a much more extensive one after the Combine - this is just a quickie **

Pre Free Agency & Pre Draft Moves:

Allow Nick Foles to walk
** Saves around 20 million

Keeping OT Jason Peters one last season
  • OT Jordan Mailata was always a 3 year project in the best case scenario. He absolutely looked like he belonged during the 2018 preseason until a back injury derailed him. He will learn one more year behind Peters and will take over LT in 2020 when Peters finally hangs em up. Mailata will be given all the reps we can handle in the 4 preseason games to get as much on the job training as the Eagles can give him. He will start the season as Peters' backup and will very likely see playing time at some point as Peters simply can't stay healthy for a full season any longer.
Cut DT Timmy Jernigan prior to March 16
  • His 11 million Base Salary becomes fully guaranteed on March 16. Solid player, but with his back problems and such a loaded draft at DT we can use that money elsewhere. We have 7 million in Cap Space with this move.
Extension for WR Nelson Agholor
  • We can save around 3 million in Cap Space for this season from his current 9.4 mil current cap number with a contract extension. Put him back in the slot on a full time basis where he was progressing and stop experimenting with him outside. He's still young and still has upside if you just keep him in the slot.
Chris Long likely retiring
  • Saves 5.3 million
Restructure S Malcolm Jenkins
  • Can save around 5 mil in Cap Space
Already Restructured: Rodney McLeod. Saved 5 million.

** Allowed to Walk: DE Brandon Graham, CB Ronald Darby. **

*** Free Agency: Projected available for free agents around 21 million *** (already factored in draft allotment)

Free Agent adds

LB Jordan Hicks age 26
  • Yes, he's injured often, but in the end I think he can be had cheap due to his injury history. When healthy he's as good as anyone available in free agency other than CJ Mosley who would cost an arm and a leg. The Eagles aren't in a bade Defense too often, so I don't see them spending the money needed to bring in Mosley. Maybe newly released Brandon Marshall (age 29) will also be an option … but he's also injured often just like Hicks.
DE Trey Flowers Age 25

** This will be the Eagles one big free agent move. They are going to offer him a monster deal and lure him in. Flowers is a complete DE who will step into the departed shoes of Brandon Graham and form a scary group of Ends with up and coming Derek Barnett and Michael Bennett who is still going strong.

Mock Draft (only 4 rounds):

Rd 1 Pick 25: Christian Wilkins DT Clemson

** Our D was at it's best with a “healthy” Tim Jernigan next to Fletcher Cox … unfortunately Jernigan will likely be a cap casualty with his back issues, but Wilkins could even be better in that role. A front 4 of Derek Barnett, Fletcher Cox, Wilkins, Trey Flowers and Michael Bennett would be a force in the NFC East. It's a passing league and the best weapon against it is a good pass rush which we need to build on. Wilkins is also very good as a 3 Tech and can stuff the run. In just about any other year he would not be available this late and I still think there's a good chance he will be gone by this pick, but many draft pundits have him still available in this range.

** Other guys I would not mind at all in this range are DE's Brian Burns from FSU and Jachai Polite from Florida … Polite has the best first step from the edge out of anyone I have watched tape on (as well as a great spin and counter moves), but needs to bulk up a bit vs the run. Burns is a lanky 6'5” 235 lbs but is not far behind Polite as an athletic pass rusher. He actually may go prior to Polite as he has more room to fill out; Polite at 6'2” 245 lbs will probably be at his max weight in the 255 range. Especially if we can't land Trey Flowers in free agency.

Rd 2 Pick 52: Tytus Howard OT Alabama State

** Small school kid who certainly looked like he belonged at the Senior Bowl. Even though he played RT in college I absolutely think he has the feet and athleticism to play on the Left side as well if the team wants him to shift there. Even though the Eagles have high hopes for Mailata at LT after Peters is gone in 2020, you should back yourself up just in case. You can never have too many good options on the OL to help protect the franchise in Wentz. Howard can also start his pro career inside as we may need help at Guard in 2019; he's 6'6” 322 lbs (Senior Bowl measurements). A former High School QB who once rushed for over 300 yards in one game … also played TE before switching full time to OT.

Rd 2 Pick 57: Devin Singletary RB Florida Atlantic

** I think it's time to put the RBBC on the shelf and get back to having that Brian Westbrook type of Back to lean on and take some pressure off of Wentz. Singletary has a lot of qualities which translate really well to the next level. Quick change of direction between the tackles, great vision, difficult to bring down and can also break it outside. An incredible 66 rushing TD's in the past 3 seasons … that's not a typo! I get that the level of competition wasn't the best, however he wasn't running behind a top level college OL either. Even against ranked teams like Oklahoma and UCF where his OL was greatly over matched, Singletary still churned out yards and looked really good making plays out of nothing. Give this kid decent blocking and I can see him thrive at the NFL level.

** Other RB's to consider here are Memphis' Darrell Henderson who's an.explosive player with big play ability in the Tarik Cohen mold and Iowa State's David Montgomery, who imo is probably the most NFL ready out of these 3, but lacks the explosiveness of Singletary and Henderson. There's also plenty of WR talent which should be available here.

Rd 4 Pick 121: Paris Campbell WR Ohio State

** Campbell has exactly what the Eagles need out of their #2 receiver. Great RAC ability and burner deep speed (likely in the 4.3's) to open the field underneath for players like Alshon, Ertz and even Agholor. Campbell also has a little size to go along with his speed at 6'1” 205 lbs. Very productive receiver for Ohio State as he racked up over 1000 yards to go along with 12 TD's this past season. The Eagles actually missed Torrey Smith this past season, not for his production, but teams really didn't need to worry much about a guy who could take the top off a defense in 2018. Campbell is that dangerous, big play guy who Defenses will have to account for and thus open up room for the other targets to work. The only reason I can see him possibly still available at this point is that this may be the deepest WR Draft that I can remember. There will be tons of value at WR well into the later rounds.

Rd 4 Compensatory Pick: Kris Boyd CB Texas

** Very handsy Corner, but in a good way. Has a rare knack for knocking balls away from receivers at just the right time and a knack for putting his hands on passes even when he has his back turned. Good hitter and strong for a Corner, well built athlete with solid size. Very confident, leader type player with a no quit attitude on every play. Isn't the fastest Corner around which is the only reason I see him possibly slipping to the 4th round … eventually he may be shifted to Safety where I think he could thrive. I look a lot at player instincts when watching tape and this guy does not lack in that department which makes me think he can succeed at any DB position; always at the right place at the right time.

Last edited:

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very comprehensive Rey! As you mentioned, it is doubtful that Wilkins lasts til pick #25.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dig the free agency prognostication.

But one question....does Peters restructure in your prediction? Do we at least ask and are told no? I’m intrigued how that might go. He’s said no before....but I feel there at least needs to be discussion. Challenge to that is he is in the last year of his deal, and we really don’t want to commit past this year. He’s got $8M in cap savings if cut. I don’t know if there is some cap magic Howie could perform her to lessen that ~$10M cap number in the final year of a deal.

Really dig the rest of the predictions, though I hope Long wants to come back on a cheap enough one for one more year. Again, final year of contract and lots of savings to be had.....but if it could be swung somehow to get him for $2-3M in final year that would be great for depth in a transition year for the DE position. Much like Peters, though, I’m not sure that could work and I wouldn’t want a cap figure on him past this year.

Love the Flowers in for Graham idea. I’m almost too sure he goes elsewhere, but I would like him on our line.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
** Will do a much more extensive one after the Combine - this is just a quickie **

Pre Free Agency & Pre Draft Moves:

Allow Nick Foles to walk
** Saves around 20 million

Keeping OT Jason Peters one last season
  • OT Jordan Mailata was always a 3 year project in the best case scenario. He absolutely looked like he belonged during the 2018 preseason until a back injury derailed him. He will learn one more year behind Peters and will take over LT in 2020 when Peters finally hangs em up. Mailata will be given all the reps we can handle in the 4 preseason games to get as much on the job training as the Eagles can give him. He will start the season as Peters' backup and will very likely see playing time at some point as Peters simply can't stay healthy for a full season any longer.
Cut DT Timmy Jernigan prior to March 16
  • His 11 million Base Salary becomes fully guaranteed on March 16. Solid player, but with his back problems and such a loaded draft at DT we can use that money elsewhere. We have 7 million in Cap Space with this move.
Extension for WR Nelson Agholor
  • We can save around 3 million in Cap Space for this season from his current 9.4 mil current cap number with a contract extension. Put him back in the slot on a full time basis where he was progressing and stop experimenting with him outside. He's still young and still has upside if you just keep him in the slot.
Chris Long likely retiring
  • Saves 5.3 million
Restructure S Malcolm Jenkins
  • Can save around 5 mil in Cap Space
Already Restructured: Rodney McLeod. Saved 5 million.

** Allowed to Walk: DE Brandon Graham, CB Ronald Darby. **

*** Free Agency: Projected available for free agents around 21 million *** (already factored in draft allotment)

Free Agent adds

LB Jordan Hicks age 26
  • Yes, he's injured often, but in the end I think he can be had cheap due to his injury history. When healthy he's as good as anyone available in free agency other than CJ Mosley who would cost an arm and a leg. The Eagles aren't in a bade Defense too often, so I don't see them spending the money needed to bring in Mosley. Maybe newly released Brandon Marshall (age 29) will also be an option … but he's also injured often just like Hicks.
DE Trey Flowers Age 25

** This will be the Eagles one big free agent move. They are going to offer him a monster deal and lure him in. Flowers is a complete DE who will step into the departed shoes of Brandon Graham and form a scary group of Ends with up and coming Derek Barnett and Michael Bennett who is still going strong.

Mock Draft (only 4 rounds):

Rd 1 Pick 25: Christian Wilkins DT Clemson

** Our D was at it's best with a “healthy” Tim Jernigan next to Fletcher Cox … unfortunately Jernigan will likely be a cap casualty with his back issues, but Wilkins could even be better in that role. A front 4 of Derek Barnett, Fletcher Cox, Wilkins, Trey Flowers and Michael Bennett would be a force in the NFC East. It's a passing league and the best weapon against it is a good pass rush which we need to build on. Wilkins is also very good as a 3 Tech and can stuff the run. In just about any other year he would not be available this late and I still think there's a good chance he will be gone by this pick, but many draft pundits have him still available in this range.

** Other guys I would not mind at all in this range are DE's Brian Burns from FSU and Jachai Polite from Florida … Polite has the best first step from the edge out of anyone I have watched tape on (as well as a great spin and counter moves), but needs to bulk up a bit vs the run. Burns is a lanky 6'5” 235 lbs but is not far behind Polite as an athletic pass rusher. He actually may go prior to Polite as he has more room to fill out; Polite at 6'2” 245 lbs will probably be at his max weight in the 255 range. Especially if we can't land Trey Flowers in free agency.

Rd 2 Pick 52: Tytus Howard OT Alabama State

** Small school kid who certainly looked like he belonged at the Senior Bowl. Even though he played RT in college I absolutely think he has the feet and athleticism to play on the Left side as well if the team wants him to shift there. Even though the Eagles have high hopes for Mailata at LT after Peters is gone in 2020, you should back yourself up just in case. You can never have too many good options on the OL to help protect the franchise in Wentz. Howard can also start his pro career inside as we may need help at Guard in 2019; he's 6'6” 322 lbs (Senior Bowl measurements). A former High School QB who once rushed for over 300 yards in one game … also played TE before switching full time to OT.

Rd 2 Pick 57: Devin Singletary RB Florida Atlantic

** I think it's time to put the RBBC on the shelf and get back to having that Brian Westbrook type of Back to lean on and take some pressure off of Wentz. Singletary has a lot of qualities which translate really well to the next level. Quick change of direction between the tackles, great vision, difficult to bring down and can also break it outside. An incredible 66 rushing TD's in the past 3 seasons … that's not a typo! I get that the level of competition wasn't the best, however he wasn't running behind a top level college OL either. Even against ranked teams like Oklahoma and UCF where his OL was greatly over matched, Singletary still churned out yards and looked really good making plays out of nothing. Give this kid decent blocking and I can see him thrive at the NFL level.

** Other RB's to consider here are Memphis' Darrell Henderson who's an.explosive player with big play ability in the Tarik Cohen mold and Iowa State's David Montgomery, who imo is probably the most NFL ready out of these 3, but lacks the explosiveness of Singletary and Henderson. There's also plenty of WR talent which should be available here.

Rd 4 Pick 121: Paris Campbell WR Ohio State

** Campbell has exactly what the Eagles need out of their #2 receiver. Great RAC ability and burner deep speed (likely in the 4.3's) to open the field underneath for players like Alshon, Ertz and even Agholor. Campbell also has a little size to go along with his speed at 6'1” 205 lbs. Very productive receiver for Ohio State as he racked up over 1000 yards to go along with 12 TD's this past season. The Eagles actually missed Torrey Smith this past season, not for his production, but teams really didn't need to worry much about a guy who could take the top off a defense in 2018. Campbell is that dangerous, big play guy who Defenses will have to account for and thus open up room for the other targets to work. The only reason I can see him possibly still available at this point is that this may be the deepest WR Draft that I can remember. There will be tons of value at WR well into the later rounds.

Rd 4 Compensatory Pick: Kris Boyd CB Texas

** Very handsy Corner, but in a good way. Has a rare knack for knocking balls away from receivers at just the right time and a knack for putting his hands on passes even when he has his back turned. Good hitter and strong for a Corner, well built athlete with solid size. Very confident, leader type player with a no quit attitude on every play. Isn't the fastest Corner around which is the only reason I see him possibly slipping to the 4th round … eventually he may be shifted to Safety where I think he could thrive. I look a lot at player instincts when watching tape and this guy does not lack in that department which makes me think he can succeed at any DB position; always at the right place at the right time.

While it would be great i doubt that NE is letting Flowers go anywhere.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your draft picks. I would be very happy if Wilkins makes it to 25 and it seems possible, but unlikely.

I disagree on Agholor and Jernigan. I would keep Jernigan and let Agholor walk. Going nearly naked at DT would be a very risky move before the draft and would telegraph to other teams that we were taking tackles. We need Jernigan and he is actually a big impact player when healthy. Agholor has never really lived up to expectations and is just a slot receiver in the NFL.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good mock. Agree with igloo on Jernigan. I think he stays with a re-structure. Also, I think the Eagles will be very high on Adderley and Johnson.

The versatility and play making they would bring to defensive secondary will only be available round 1 or early round 2. Do the Eagles take advantage of a deep DT group in round 2?

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Eagles have many options in Rd 1 ... the great thing is that this draft is absolutely loaded at DT and WR. We can easily get great value at both positions in Rd 2 if we go with another position in Rd 1.

I would be fine with Jernigan staying at the right price ... but his current cap hit is way too much for a player with back issues.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of other guys to keep in mind if the Trey Flowers theory doesn't work:

Za'Darius Smith and Oliver Vernon - Smith is lesser known but had a nice season for Baltimore, could be slightly cheaper with a lot of upside.

Vernon was injured for most of last year but carries a big cap number and Gettleman might look to get out of that... also might be available for less potentially less than Flowers but every bit as good when he's healthy. Would be the perfect fit in our front 4.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flowers would cost a boatload of money ... so if we can't snag him we could go after a couple of players with that money. Two guys what would help the Offense are WR John Brown from the Ravens and RB Tevin Coleman from Atlanta. Coleman's not a workhorse, but he can certainly be a 15-18 touch per game Back who's also a good receiver out of the backfield. John Brown would give you that deep threat we didn't have last season ... an even better Torrey Smith.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coleman and Brown would be perfect fits. I think the Eagles have Brown in their sights.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worry that when Big Dick Nick is gone, the curse of Nick Foles (see curse of the Bambino) starts. Wentz has some work to do to prove he's durable and steady so getting rid of the hugely popular star is a risky move. Wentz is going to have to suffer through the "where's Foles when you need him" banter every time he has a bad game or god forbid, has another season ending injury and every time he walks into the stadium, Fole's statue will be looking at him. That's some bad juju right there. Even with Foles gone, he'll still be there.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worry that when Big Dick Nick is gone, the curse of Nick Foles (see curse of the Bambino) starts. Wentz has some work to do to prove he's durable and steady so getting rid of the hugely popular star is a risky move. Wentz is going to have to suffer through the "where's Foles when you need him" banter every time he has a bad game or god forbid, has another season ending injury and every time he walks into the stadium, Fole's statue will be looking at him. That's some bad juju right there. Even with Foles gone, he'll still be there.

Wow....BDN just got directly comped to the Babe. Well done!!

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coleman and Brown would be perfect fits. I think the Eagles have Brown in their sights.

Brown would be a nice plug and play deep guy ... he turns 29 in April, so he still has a couple of years left of that deep speed. In the mean time we can draft one in this deep class to groom behind Alshon.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are several WRs with great speed in this draft, so we should grab one for sure.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy to seriously keep an eye on in free agency is Ravens DL/LB Za'Darius Smith. Not as well known as a guy like Trey Flowers, but will be a bit cheaper and is a versatile player. He's 6'4" 275 lbs and is a jack of all positions. Smith was also drafted by the Ravens while Joe Douglas was involved in the evaluating process with them, so there is history there. Smith finished the year with 8.5 Sacks and has developed into a very solid up and coming player ... at 26 he's about to enter his prime and would make for a really good add to this DL rotation. Much like Bennett he can play either End or move inside in pass rush situations. I think he may be too big though to handle OLB in a 4-3, so he would only play Line for the Eagles.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy to seriously keep an eye on in free agency is Ravens DL/LB Za'Darius Smith. Not as well known as a guy like Trey Flowers, but will be a bit cheaper and is a versatile player. He's 6'4" 275 lbs and is a jack of all positions. Smith was also drafted by the Ravens while Joe Douglas was involved in the evaluating process with them, so there is history there. Smith finished the year with 8.5 Sacks and has developed into a very solid up and coming player ... at 26 he's about to enter his prime and would make for a really good add to this DL rotation. Much like Bennett he can play either End or move inside in pass rush situations. I think he may be too big though to handle OLB in a 4-3, so he would only play Line for the Eagles.
I didn't realize he is a FA. He would be a great addition to our defense. That Ravens defense was nasty. I love the fact he is only 26, like you said, he is getting his prime.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ Mosely?

I think he would cost way more than the Eagles are willing to spend at LB. He's been great vs the run, but he has not been as good in pass coverage as I thought he would be despite good Int #'s. I think Hicks remains our best option at the position despite the injury concerns ... due to those concerns he will likely be very affordable and he already knows the system.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we will look to a late round pick for a LB. I like Kamu, but as a backup ST guy. Not impressed so far with Gerry. Other guys are just guys, except Bradham, who is a stud, but getting up in years. I hope that Hicks stays healthy for the whole season.