• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PFF Mock drafts

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure he will be there when we actually draft. I am thinking by the time we draft, if we want to go DT, it will be Newton, otherwise, I think we are going one of the 3 RT's that fall around our slot (Fuaga, Mims, Latham).
Yeah, I think one of the 3 RT's is likely the way it falls. While not getting Reader back seems like a big focal point, if you notice - the Bengals really didn't seem to sweat it much. Then you consider the actual usage at the position - and who they signed, and you also still have Readers' backup in Tuopo - and you start to realize that the Bengals have plenty of DT's and if the idea is to move to a more mobile line approach - grabbing a DT is nice, but not really a need as many of us fans likely think it is. Again, I think we, as fans, see Reader leaving as a much bigger deal than the Bengals. Not that it isn't big, but I think a change is coming to the DL approach.

You also have to consider - there are zero actual backups at LT/RT on this team. If someone goes down...you are plugging and playing D'Ante Smith or Jackson Carmen. Not good. That also doesn't account for Trent Browns injury history. Should they grab at RT at that spot...they are set up at RT for the next 4-5 years...plus this allows Trent Brown to slide to LT if Orland is hurt....and of course gives you an immediate backup RT if Trent gets hurt.

Now, if Sweat is there in round 2 or 3...I could see them taking a look there...I've really gotten to like the Edge kid from Alabama as I think this DL actually needs another rusher more so than a DT. In a passing league - you have to get to the QB. If Murphy can flash a bit more in year 2, and you can add a legit rush guy in round 2 this year...now you have 2 guys backing up Hubbard and Hendrickson - which could help with their usage and productivity as well.

We'll see. Regardless, the Bengals have done pretty well overall in drafting recently. Grabbing guys that they, not only feel can help them sooner than later, but also very good positional value at the time of the draft.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think one of the 3 RT's is likely the way it falls. While not getting Reader back seems like a big focal point, if you notice - the Bengals really didn't seem to sweat it much. Then you consider the actual usage at the position - and who they signed, and you also still have Readers' backup in Tuopo - and you start to realize that the Bengals have plenty of DT's and if the idea is to move to a more mobile line approach - grabbing a DT is nice, but not really a need as many of us fans likely think it is. Again, I think we, as fans, see Reader leaving as a much bigger deal than the Bengals. Not that it isn't big, but I think a change is coming to the DL approach.

You also have to consider - there are zero actual backups at LT/RT on this team. If someone goes down...you are plugging and playing D'Ante Smith or Jackson Carmen. Not good. That also doesn't account for Trent Browns injury history. Should they grab at RT at that spot...they are set up at RT for the next 4-5 years...plus this allows Trent Brown to slide to LT if Orland is hurt....and of course gives you an immediate backup RT if Trent gets hurt.

Now, if Sweat is there in round 2 or 3...I could see them taking a look there...I've really gotten to like the Edge kid from Alabama as I think this DL actually needs another rusher more so than a DT. In a passing league - you have to get to the QB. If Murphy can flash a bit more in year 2, and you can add a legit rush guy in round 2 this year...now you have 2 guys backing up Hubbard and Hendrickson - which could help with their usage and productivity as well.

We'll see. Regardless, the Bengals have done pretty well overall in drafting recently. Grabbing guys that they, not only feel can help them sooner than later, but also very good positional value at the time of the draft.
What about Ossai and Sample? From what I heard Ossai is starting to take real strides.

I think if it comes down to it, and Braswell and Sweat are both there, and you took a OT in round 1, you jump all over Sweat and don't think twice about it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Ossai and Sample? From what I heard Ossai is starting to take real strides.

I think if it comes down to it, and Braswell and Sweat are both there, and you took a OT in round 1, you jump all over Sweat and don't think twice about it.
Ossai hasn't really translated to games in 3 years...and he's had injury issues. I'd love for him to have been that guy, but to date...meh.

Sample hasn't done anything either.

And in a game of you better have a QB and get after the QB - you can NEVER have enough DB's and DE's - and not to mention at some point you are going to have to re-sign Sample/Ossai or replace them. Murphy was likely step one in that process - and I would not be shocked if taking another DE early is step 2 in that process.

Again - while we may focus on a guy like Sweat - it could be the Bengals have decided to move into a bit of a different direction with the NT - using more of a high upside 3-tech in those spots rather than a traditional nose. If the Bengals were truly concerned with that position, I don't think Reader likely gets away. Especially considering that so many guys have re-signed on really good deals for the team - and it doesn't sound like the Bengals even gave him an offer like that...it was, if at all, a very low end offer. DET's offer was easily matchable by the Bengals - and they didn't even try. It makes me think that this DL approach in general is going to look very different going forward.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A DL you could keep an eye on is a kid from Cincinnati who is, likely, going to fly under the radar. Jawon Briggs.

Dude is very good athletically and very strong. He's a bit of an inbetween guy because of how he got used at UC (who played a 3-3-5 with a true NT) so he was the strong-side DE, but was basically a 3-tech DT. I think he's up to almost 315/320 - and has some really good measurables to play some NT while also providing some solid rotational ability at the 3-tech.

He would be a, potential, high upside but low draft kind of guy...likely a 5th round kind of flyer or 6th round...but he's a guy I think does have some really good traits that fit Lou's defense. I could see the Bengals taking a flyer on a player like this (maybe not him specifically) as again - I really start to get the feeling the approach to the DT/NT position is changing a bit under Lou.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure he will be there when we actually draft. I am thinking by the time we draft, if we want to go DT, it will be Newton, otherwise, I think we are going one of the 3 RT's that fall around our slot (Fuaga, Mims, Latham).
I wonder if someone is going to steal the starting guard spot ahead of Cordell Volson

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if someone is going to steal the starting guard spot ahead of Cordell Volson
I don't know what to make of Volson.

His first half of 2023 was as bad as you could be from a PFF grade standpoint.

Then his second half PFF grade was great.

Who is the real Volson? 1st half last year, or second half last year? Maybe the light bulb finally switched on? I don't know. I'd be willing to wager, while I think they do look for another IOL in the draft, Volson is going to get the bulk of the season at LG....

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This last one I decided to go with DT though several OT's were there.

In round 2 - the edge I normally target was gone...so I went with another Safety...if Hill is going to be a guy moved to the slot, and Lou is looking to rotate more 3 safety looks - then they'll want another guy - and this guy is another potential ball-hawk.

Solid project at RT - hopefully he would be ready sooner than later, but would be a decent backup option behind Brown to start the season.

Can't go wrong getting a decent WR with some NFL blood.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1712071156682.png

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An underrated move is picking up 2 OL (either 2 OT or IOL/OT). This team is going to need to start looking at how they are going to replace some guys...C and RG are coming due - and you'd have to think only 1 is likely to get an offer to re-sign....

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An underrated move is picking up 2 OL (either 2 OT or IOL/OT). This team is going to need to start looking at how they are going to replace some guys...C and RG are coming due - and you'd have to think only 1 is likely to get an offer to re-sign....
DT, DE, OT and UTILITY OL would be one way to address the trenches in the first 3 rounds.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite honestly - I think this would be a HR of a draft through 4 picks. You get one of the best DT's that will absolutely fit Lou's system. You get to add another edge guy on a defense that just needs more pressure/sacks.

You then still end up with a solid backup plan at RT AND at C - as the IOL needs depth as well. Round 4 would likely see a WR, maybe a TE or CB/S - but with the first 4 picks here - I think you cover a ton of ground both for this year, and for the next 4-5 years.

1712770155086.png

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been far the hardest year to do mocks for me. I don't know exactly what we should do. Do we get OLine Depth early? Which I really think we need.. or do we take a game changer at a position we need an upgrade at?

So difficult.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been far the hardest year to do mocks for me. I don't know exactly what we should do. Do we get OLine Depth early? Which I really think we need.. or do we take a game changer at a position we need an upgrade at?

So difficult.
Kinda have to see how the draft falls. We don't control what happens ahead of us if we aren't willing to trade up. So you see how the draft falls to us and you make the decision based on what is left and the best value at the positions you are looking at. Easy decision if the 6th best OT is BPA at his position is the next best OT available with the 1st best DT is still available.

If Murphy and Newton are gone, and you still have 3-6 best tackles still on t he board, you go tackle because the drop off from 2 to 3 is pretty massive at that position, where the drop off from 3-6 in tackles is slim.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one I wanted to just go in completely opposite directions to see what pops up. WR in first round is a great Higgins replacement. Round 2 finds a good strong side DE to swap with Hubbard. When Hubbard is out, the run defense suffers. This kid is known as an edge setting in the run game and would allow Murphy to focus fully on repping behind Hendrickson. Round 3 was BPA at the CB position. QB's, RB's, and a few lesser WR's were there - so I took more secondary help - because you can never have enough secondary guys (or rushers). TE with the last pick is pretty self explanatory - adds depth and a chance to tap into Iowa's history of TE's at the NFL level.

Again - this was just trying to go well outside the box while still finding the right fits for what this team needs.

1712950483850.png

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pff_mock_results(2).png

I still like loading the trenches. However, I wouldn't be opposed to Thomas and getting him for 5 years. The WR group this year would be off the charts with Chase, Higgins and Thomas, with Jones, Iosivas and Irwin in the wings.