• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Diamondbacks 2016 Offseason Transactions

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dansby Swanson and Aaron Blair as well.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We paid a big price for Miller. I believe from what I am hearing on twitter, a similar package was offered for Fernandez & it wasn't even close to being enough for the Marlins.

Signing Greinke changed the Dbacks into a "win now" team. So trading guys that likely won't be solid contributors in 2016 or 17, sans Incerarte, was the right move. Still, it was a steep price.

We got back a good looking LHP SP/R in the deal.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We paid a big price for Miller. I believe from what I am hearing on twitter, a similar package was offered for Fernandez & it wasn't even close to being enough for the Marlins.

Signing Greinke changed the Dbacks into a "win now" team. So trading guys that likely won't be solid contributors in 2016 or 17, sans Incerarte, was the right move. Still, it was a steep price.

We got back a good looking LHP SP/R in the deal.

I think AZ could have done better for what they gave up. I'm not really big on Miller. Might change in AZ, and he is young, but a 3.20 lifetime ERA SP is on the low-end of what I was expecting for AZ to help Greinke; especially at the cost of those two prospects and Inciarte.

Anyone know if that is it, or if that's not counting any of the money set aside to go out and find a strong #2 for Greinke. If that is still open, then I like Miller for a strong #3.

If they can have Greinke, a SP with about a 2.60 ERA, Miller at just over 3.00, with Bradley and Corbin thereafter, that's a nice rotation without injuries.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think AZ could have done better for what they gave up. I'm not really big on Miller. Might change in AZ, and he is young, but a 3.20 lifetime ERA SP is on the low-end of what I was expecting for AZ to help Greinke; especially at the cost of those two prospects and Inciarte.

Anyone know if that is it, or if that's not counting any of the money set aside to go out and find a strong #2 for Greinke. If that is still open, then I like Miller for a strong #3.

If they can have Greinke, a SP with about a 2.60 ERA, Miller at just over 3.00, with Bradley and Corbin thereafter, that's a nice rotation without injuries.

The rotation at this point will be: Greinke, Corbin, Miller, Ray, & RDLR/Bradley.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rotation at this point will be: Greinke, Corbin, Miller, Ray, & RDLR/Bradley.

No Godley? What's his story? He looked more promising than Archie Bradley last year.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Godley? What's his story? He looked more promising than Archie Bradley last year.

From what I am reading, he is likely to start the year in Reno to get more seasoning against advanced hitters. Plus there is only so much room left in the rotation.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not saying that rotation can't be effective, but no one other than Greinke has pitched a solid season (except Miller in 2013 and maybe last year without run support). Every other season by that rotation is garbage or close.

Miller is a solid 3. If Corbin or Bradley (or anyone else for that matter) have a solid season, then awesome. But AZ needs to get a solid 2 to bring that rotation balance so it's not Greinke, and then hope someone else has a good year.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying that rotation can't be effective, but no one other than Greinke has pitched a solid season (except Miller in 2013 and maybe last year without run support). Every other season by that rotation is garbage or close.

Miller is a solid 3. If Corbin or Bradley (or anyone else for that matter) have a solid season, then awesome. But AZ needs to get a solid 2 to bring that rotation balance so it's not Greinke, and then hope someone else has a good year.

You are far of base. Miller is a solid #2, he was a top 25 pitcher in 2015. At age 25, he likely is only going to get better. One of the best GB pitchers in baseball.

Corbin was coming off a 3.5 war season before he had TJ surgery. Corbin also had a solid season last year after TJ surgery with a 1.5 war in only 16 games. Had he played a whole season, his numbers would have been better than Zimmerman, Samardjiza, & Chen. Now that he is further out from TJ, I expect him to be sharper this season.

Ray also had a good rookie season last year. And will fill the 4 slot nicely. The 5th spot is up for grabs between RDLR, Bradley, & Godley.

Last edited:

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's just not accurate. Corbin had a very solid season and looked good in a smaller sample size last year. Miller's W-L record was terrible, but I'd define his overall performance last year as "solid". The #4 and #5 spots I concede I wouldn't put much money on just yet.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are far of base. Miller is a solid #2, he was a top 25 pitcher in 2015. At age 25, he likely is only going to get better. One of the best GB pitchers in baseball.

Corbin was coming off a 3.5 war season before he had TJ surgery. Corbin also had a solid season last year after TJ surgery with a 1.5 war in only 16 games. Had he played a whole season, his numbers would have been better than Zimmerman, Samardjiza, & Chen. Now that he is further out from TJ, I expect him to be sharper this season.

Ray also had a good rookie season last year. And will fill the 4 slot nicely. The 5th spot is up for grabs between RDLR, Bradley, & Godley.

That's just not accurate. Corbin had a very solid season and looked good in a smaller sample size last year. Miller's W-L record was terrible, but I'd define his overall performance last year as "solid". The #4 and #5 spots I concede I wouldn't put much money on just yet.

Let me clarify. I like your young pitchers. But I don't know if you can necessarily bet on any of them having 3.00-3.20 ERAs this year. Corbin started really well, and then he tanked. Miller is a solid pitcher, but I also don't think it's a given that he does what he did last year, in AZ this year. He certainly can, but we'll see. The rest of the pitchers are just young. Ray had a 3.50 ERA last year. That's alright if he can do it again. RDLR definitely needs to improve. And I haven't been impressed with Bradley, even before the injury.

If Miller can do what he did last year then he might be a good #2. But I thought with $16M they would get a really legit #2 guy. But also remember, Miller pitched in a terrible terrible div last year. He's not going to do as well with that in the West.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And my main point about Miller is that he is good, but not worth what they gave up for him.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see. He pitched really well in 4 out of the 6 games he pitched against NL West teams last year. One of the bad ones was against AZ. Very small sample size and he seemed to avoid the Dodgers, but enough that his weak division may not skew his stats as much as it seems.

They did seem to give up quite a bit for Miller, but I've always been a "Win now" kind of guy. We never know when we might die and you can always adjust each off-season anyways if you are willing to spend money/make moves. Been a fan of enough garbage teams that tell their fans they have a "3-year plan" and 10 or 20 years later that plan is still in it's infancy.

So go DBACKS!

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to chime in here. This Dodgers fan saying Miller's career 3.22 ERA is on the low-end of what he was expecting for the Diamondbacks to get is ridiculous. Let me throw some stats out for you on career ERA:

Schilling- 3.46
Johnson- 3.29
Webb- 3.27
Greinke- 3.35

So Miller's 3.22 career ERA three years into the league is not good enough? Yeah okay sure.

You say Corbin has never had a good season? Well he was an All-Star in 2013. And maybe the reason why he did not finish that season well was because he needed Tommy John surgery. Hmm. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

And you were not impressed with Bradley even before his injury? Are you for real? He had a 1.45 ERA after his first three starts. Those were the first three starts of his career too. I guess a 1.45 ERA after the first three games of a career is not impressive enough for you. What more do you want him to do? Bradley got hurt during the second inning of his fourth start and it ruined the rest of the 2015 season for him.

Let's face facts here. The Diamondbacks just took a dramatic step forward with their rotation. I do not care what anyone says. Gave up Blair? Okay they still have Bradley, Corbin, Shipley, Ray, De La Rosa, Godley, Lopez, Huang, Anderson, and now Miller as young pitchers. Ten guys.

Now I love Inciarte but the Diamondbacks are loaded with outfield talent. Huge talent. They can get by.

Trading Swanson. How many number one picks in the MLB draft are Hall of Famers? Griffey is going to be the first. Swanson was not even a consensus number one pick either in a very thin draft class. Upton was the first pick in the MLB draft. How did that work out? And he was pegged as the next Griffey or A-Rod when he was drafted. He is just an average player and always has been. Prospects are exactly what their title is. Prospects. No guarantee of ever doing anything in the league.

The Diamondbacks scored the second most runs in the NL last season to Colorado and they do not have the advantage of playing in that ballpark. Now they have three guys in the rotation that should give them a chance to win every time they pitch. The team has been irrelevant for 12 years yet people are criticizing them for trying to win a championship.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dbacks signed Tyler Clippard. Fantastic signing. And they avoided arbitration with Pollock. Have to give credit where it's due...the Front office has made some impressive moves this off-season.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3