• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Detroit re-sign Goff this offseason or wait till after next season?

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's still up in the air for me. But the coaches and front office love him, so I have no doubt a new contract is coming.

If he either wins playoff games or loses them through his play that could factor into it for me. If we lose Ben Johnson like I expect to that could play into it.

If we were at the point where he was holding us back like the Rams were, then you do something. If he wants elite money like some of these other huge contracts then maybe you think about going another direction. For right now I would let him play out next year and even consider a year on the franchise tag before I signed him to a huge contract. But that's me. I think he gets a new deal done with the FO.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Below average QB's dont throw for 4400+ yards in a single season 4 times in a career.

We get it Ram's fans. You dont like Jared Goff. But it is ridiculous to say a guy who has performed above average for as long as Goff has is somehow below average.

You guys seem to fail to grasp what average is these days. It sure as hell isnt 4400+ yards 30TD's.

This argument oddly enough reminds me of telling people Stafford when he was in his late 20's/early 30's isnt a below average QB.
Rams fans are noisy, but not a lot of sense.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get he sucked in LA but the system that's in place now works for him.
He didn’t totally suck in LA. He was the same as he is now. Good and bad. Now he’s more humbled and experienced tho too

It’s the same system. Balance on offense and a decent defense. Gurley had monster years with Goff.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The original question here is kinda pointless, isn't it? What they should or shouldn't do and our opinion of that is completely and utterly irrelevant. The Lions will extend Goff regardless of this game or the next, period. It's the only viable option they have at this time. They have a real shot to play in a NFCCG here. And who knows, could get a lucky break and something weird happen. What other options do they have if they get to the SB somehow. Even if they don't, one could argue this is the most successful the Lions have been since before the merger. Getting cute or cheap would be really dumb.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The original question here is kinda pointless, isn't it? What they should or shouldn't do and our opinion of that is completely and utterly irrelevant. The Lions will extend Goff regardless of this game or the next, period. It's the only viable option they have at this time. They have a real shot to play in a NFCCG here. And who knows, could get a lucky break and something weird happen. What other options do they have if they get to the SB somehow. Even if they don't, one could argue this is the most successful the Lions have been since before the merger. Getting cute or cheap would be really dumb.

99% of what is discussed on here is kinda pointless, isn't it? :noidea:

Our opinions are always irrelevant.

It's funny to see you write the first two sentences in your post, but still answer the original question and give your opinion. :D Why did you waste your time?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wants elite money like some of these other huge contracts then maybe you think about going another direction. For right now I would let him play out next year and even consider a year on the franchise tag before I signed him to a huge contract. But that's me. I think he gets a new deal done with the FO.

Most the things I've read is that he is valued at around $42-$45 million on a 5 year deal ($210 million, with $168 million guaranteed according to Spotrac's projected value).

That's far from elite money. Now, maybe Goff asks for more, but if he would accept somewhere around the above offer, that would put him as currently the #9 highest paid QB in the NFL. In the next 2 seasons, he will certainly be out of the top 10 paid QB's and will be a smaller % of the salary cap as it most certainly is going to rise.

Detroit will have seen enough by the end of the next few weeks to make an informed decision. The longer they wait, the more expensive he will become. If they want to just keep him 1-2 seasons, then finishing out his contract and franchise tagging him makes sense, but if they do that, and then decide they want him, they will be stuck in a Dak Prescott situation. They then will have to overpay him and he would be 32 years old.

I could go either way with Goff in terms of signing him now or waiting, but his projected salary from most in the industry is something that is quite reasonable compared to most QB's salaries right now, and what will happen in the next season or two. They would not face near the same problems that many other teams who are paying elite salaries to their QB are facing.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep being up Lamar. It’s hilarious. Ive just given you Goff’s stats in the playoffs

At least Lamar can escape the pocket. Goff wears concrete boots and that’s a problem. Been that way all year actually lol

It's really striking just how poorly he moves.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady had the same problem, although that is probably why he had such a long career.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s definitely a weakness and not a small one. Good thing is he’s gotten smarter and more experienced. You just never know with him tho

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady had the same problem, although that is probably why he had such a long career.
Lmao

Tom Brady’s pocket awareness is not the same as Goff man. Cmon

Brady new where to go with the ball before anyone else on the field did

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao

Tom Brady’s pocket awareness is not the same as Goff man. Cmon

Brady new where to go with the ball before anyone else on the field did

At least we’ve identified the Goff fan boys now

Again, we are talking about mobility, right?

It's funny how you can't compartmentalize aspects of players without having to compare every aspect of them in the comparison. Yet you compartmentalize one playoff series in 2019 to determine the value of a player, while ignoring most of his other work. :noidea:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we’ve identified the Goff fan boys vs the realist Lions fans now

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tom Brady.. Peyton Manning, Marino.. they were all statues. But they knew how to move within the pocket when pressured.. a sidestep or 2 here or there to buy an extra second. Goff doesn't have that gene.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, we are talking about mobility, right?

It's funny how you can't compartmentalize aspects of players without having to compare every aspect of them in the comparison. :noidea:

Making or extending plays takes mobility and ball IQ bud. Awareness. Goff is way slower than Brady on all of them

Brady and Goff Lololol

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady.. Peyton Manning, Marino.. they were all statues. But they knew how to move within the pocket when pressured.. a sidestep here or there to buy an extra second. Goff doesn't have that gene.

They also all had long healthy careers. The reason they did, is because they were statues. So I'm not sure why Goff's statue like play is something to be critical of.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making or extending plays takes mobility and ball IQ bud. Awareness. Goff is way slower than Brady on all of them

Brady and Goff Lololol

I'm not sure I agree with the "Goff is WAY slower" than Brady, but I know it doesn't matter what Goff does, he does it wrong in your mind, or at least not good enough.

I'll say it again, before you call me a "fan boy" because I disagree with you, I'm simply saying that Goff is a top 10 QB in the NFL, and has been for a while. Every weakness you bring up (lack of playoff production, lack of rushing yards) can be seen in some elite QB's from the past 20 years. When I bring up the comparison, I'm not saying that the two players are equal, just pointing out that many elite and great QB's have had trouble with those things in their career too, and it shouldn't define them negatively.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I agree with the "Goff is WAY slower" than Brady, but I know it doesn't matter what Goff does, he does it wrong in your mind, or at least not good enough.

I'll say it again, before you call me a "fan boy" because I disagree with you, I'm simply saying that Goff is a top 10 QB in the NFL, and has been for a while. Every weakness you bring up (lack of playoff production, lack of rushing yards) can be seen in some elite QB's from the past 20 years. When I bring up the comparison, I'm not saying that the two players are equal, just pointing out that many elite and great QB's have had trouble with those things in their career too, and it shouldn't define them negatively.
Yes he’s slow. Real slow.

Have you convinced yourself yet?