• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defense 2016 Right Now

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moses showed he was the better pass blocker hence the starting RT position. Plus Moses came off a season ending lisfranc injury and he still managed to hold off the 5th overall pick for the RT job. That deserves a lot of credit if you ask me. Sherff was moved b/c Moses shined. That is it!! Long became the fall guy didn't matter how he played. Scherff did not just struggle with Kerrigan. He did with everyone. Including Murphy.

Shark I suspected this from you b/c you wrote off Moses last year and thought it was a bad pick two years ago. I predicted Moses would be our starting RT even before the draft and you called me crazy. Well, I guess im right again.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moses showed he was the better pass blocker hence the starting RT position. Plus Moses came off a season ending lisfranc injury and he still managed to hold off the 5th overall pick for the RT job. That deserves a lot of credit if you ask me. Sherff was moved b/c Moses shined. That is it!! Long became the fall guy didn't matter how he played. Scherff did not just struggle with Kerrigan. He did with everyone. Including Murphy.

Shark I suspected this from you b/c you wrote off Moses last year and thought it was a bad pick two years ago. I predicted Moses would be our starting RT even before the draft and you called me crazy. Well, I guess im right again.

Need i remind you, you also predicted Moses would go in the first round. And considering we actually never got to see Scherff as a pass blocker at RT aside from the 1st two preseason games, you are speculating at best. But unless you took the entire month of training camp off to spend out at Ashburn, you are basically exaggerating a couple of reports that fit into your theory. Again if Moses were the more talented player, it would have negated the need for even picking Scherff in which case we might have actually picked Williams. Well that is unless we actually picked players based on talent instead of draft hype.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dean, I'll give you this. You are always entertaining.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, how do you know how it all went down? You weren't in Ashburn either. This is my theory. You have your theory. The Skins brass knew Scherff was an NFL guard. Scherff had short arms and he has slow footspeed. This has been widely reported. The team found out in training camp that Moses was the 2nd best pass protect behind Williams on the team. So the team made him the RT.

IF scherff failed in training camp as a RT why would the Skins make him the RT in the regular season when they knew Moses was the better pass protector? The Skins knew Scherff is a better fit at guard so they bumped him inside. The Skins felt Sherff was the BPA so why did it negate the need to pick him?

Plus the ROY for our team was Smith not Scherff. The draft pick that I liked at the time.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, how do you know how it all went down? You weren't in Ashburn either. This is my theory. You have your theory. The Skins brass knew Scherff was an NFL guard. Scherff had short arms and he has slow footspeed. This has been widely reported. The team found out in training camp that Moses was the 2nd best pass protect behind Williams on the team. So the team made him the RT.

IF scherff failed in training camp as a RT why would the Skins make him the RT in the regular season when they knew Moses was the better pass protector? The Skins knew Scherff is a better fit at guard so they bumped him inside. The Skins felt Sherff was the BPA so why did it negate the need to pick him?

Dean... the problem with your theory is it is flawed because of two things.

1. Your love of Moses
2. Your love of Williams.

You have been pounding the drum to any one that will listen how the Skins made a mistake in NOT taking Williams. So your theory is based off of flawed and biased logic. Again, the Skins took Scherff because he was deemed a better TALENT than Willaims... period. Scherff was moved to OG not because Moses turned out to be Godzilla, but because long turned out to be nothing more than a backup. Moses was NOT talented enough to make the switch to OG, Scheeff was. So reality is, if Long had worked out Moses is a backup plain and simple.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moses didn't have to make the switch b/c he was the better pass blocker. The better pass blockers and athletes play OT not OG. You still dont understand that. The Skins took Sherff b/c they thought he was the BPA. Don't tell me they weren't shocked when Sherff started to fail at RT. Luckily Moses stepped up.

The only way you can prove your theory right is if Kojo beats out Scherff for RG and Scherff beats out Moses for RT. If that happens then I will admit defeat in this argument. But the way Moses played this year I don't see that happening and he will be our RT for the next 2 years unless we resign him.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moses didn't have to make the switch b/c he was the better pass blocker. The better pass blockers and athletes play OT not OG. You still dont understand that. The Skins took Sherff b/c they thought he was the BPA. Don't tell me they weren't shocked when Sherff started to fail at RT. Luckily Moses stepped up.

The only way you can prove your theory right is if Kojo beats out Scherff for RG and Scherff beats out Moses for RT. If that happens then I will admit defeat in this argument. But the way Moses played this year I don't see that happening and he will be our RT for the next 2 years unless we resign him.

Dude, I understand completely. You have convinced yourself we made a mistake in taking Scherff. I get it. The reality is, you would be foolish to determine a players worth after two weeks in training camp. You are sticking to the premise that he failed as a RT and thus Moses was installed. I also notice you say THEY thought he was the PBA, which points out once again you think they were wrong in this assertion. But tell me what possible sense does it make to give up on a top five picked player after two weeks in camp if you have repeatedly said its not smart to give up on a guy after a year and some change coming back off injury?? See your logic is based off of your affinity for particular players, because i have noted a few times you have given up on guys before they even took pads. And once again your argument holds no weight because if Moses was in fact viewed as a better pass blocker and athlete, the Scherff pick was pointless and they could have simply taken Williams or traded out of the spot to some one who DID want to take Williams.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RTs are not necessarily better athletes than guards. A LT usually is. Look at Andre Williams fat ass at the combine. Please dude...put your shirt back on. Tony Mandarich was a great athlete and turned out to be a better G than T. RTs are typically mailers. This is one of the dumbest things I have ever read.

You keep pounding your drum simply over pass protection....RTs have to run block as well.

The only way you can prove your theory is Kojo beats out Scherff and Moses beats out Scherff. Now go back and watch the GB game...Moses was a bitch.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i will go with what the coaches say dean and they said they made the move to get the 5 best o/lineman on the field .

scherf played in all but one snap as a rookie . that says he was the right pick . williams never sniffed that

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not down on Scherff. I think he can be a great guard for us. He better be. IF scherff does well at RG then that is where he will stay for the rest of his career. A lot of Skins fans were upset that we took him at #5 b/c there were questions if he could play OT(short arms and footspeed). I know a lot of Skins fans that said to me if we wanted a OT Flowers would be the safer OT prospect. SM wanted to beef up the oline. SO if he didn't work out at OT they could always move him to OG. So in SM eyes it was a safe pick.

Gk, in this modern pass happy league RT's are better athletes than OG's. There are some exceptions' to the rule but it is the norm. Brining up Mandarich is hilarious.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not down on Scherff. I think he can be a great guard for us. He better be. IF scherff does well at RG then that is where he will stay for the rest of his career. A lot of Skins fans were upset that we took him at #5 b/c there were questions if he could play OT(short arms and footspeed). I know a lot of Skins fans that said to me if we wanted a OT Flowers would be the safer OT prospect. SM wanted to beef up the oline. SO if he didn't work out at OT they could always move him to OG. So in SM eyes it was a safe pick.

Gk, in this modern pass happy league RT's are better athletes than OG's. There are some exceptions' to the rule but it is the norm. Brining up Mandarich is hilarious.

I am not sure how you quantify the word better athlete but look at the top RTs in the league and show me the athletes you are referring. Based on annual pay...Bulaga, Parnell, Loadholt, Smith, Gilbert, and Howard...vs...Yanda, Saffold, Evans, Vasquez, and Lang.

Brian Bulaga- 5.2 in the 40, bench 26, vert 27.5, broad 98, shuttle 4.75, cone 7.7
Marshall Yanda- 5.15 in the 40, bench 23, vert 27, broad 101, shuttle 4.58, cone 7.36

Jermey Parnell- 24 bench...did nothing else but was a basketball player so probably a good athlete
Rodger Saffold- 27 bench with more explosion than Yanda, feet not as nimble

Phil Loadholt- 5.45 in 40, 26 bench, vert 29, broad 95, shuttle 5.06, cone 8.18
Jahri Evans- 5.29 in 40, 20 bench, vert 27, broad 95, shuttle 4.8, cone 7.97

Marcus Gilbert- 5.46 in 40, 30 bench, 30.5 vertical, 98 broad, 5.02 shuttle
Louis Vasquez- 5.22 in 40, 39 bench, 30.5 vertical, 103 broad, 4.94 shuttle

Austin Howard- 5.4 in 40, 19 bench, 30.5 vert, 109 broad, 4.62 shuttle, 8.1 cone
TJ Lang- 5.15 in 40, 30 bench, 26.5 vert, 4.42 shuttle

By actual measurable in athleticism, Yanda beats Bulaga, Parnell lacks information, Evans and Loadholt goes to Evans by traditional definitions, Vasquez dominates Gilbert, and Howard and Lang go either way. These are the actual facts of athleticism. So what is your next excuse?

I bring up Mandarich because he wasn't a bad guard but is more athletic than all these guys. He ran a 4.65 I the 40, 39 on the bench, 30 on the vert, and 123" in the broad jump.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When have you seen a short fat guy with short arms play RT?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way... exactly when did 6'5" 319 lbs become short and fat??

IN Fact Morgan the Red Sea Moses is only about 5 lbs lighter, an inch taller, and has hands the size of your average 9th grader. So lets not go there.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When have you seen a short fat guy with short arms play RT?

OK...so now you are saying it is short, fat guys that play. Which is it...athletic...or short, fat guys? I already disproved your belief that more athletic people play RT. The truth is...your typical RT is taller because it comes with longer arms. The longer arms helps against the edge rushers; whereas, a guard can play in a "phone booth." Guards are typically playing in closer quarters and the punch is more important.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right I agree your typical right tackle is a guy who is tall with long arms with good footwork. That was my whole point. Guards are you usually stronger and good in a phone booth like you said gk. I totally agree with that.

what makes Moses a good RT is his long arms and decent footwork for a guy his size. The organization knew Scherff had short arms and questionable footwork in college. So that is why I said it was a risk to take him at #5. But he would be a better guard in the NFL b/c of his strength and run blocking ability. That is why fans were upset about his pick. He wasn't a slam dunk OT.

Last edited:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right I agree your typical right tackle is a guy who is tall with long arms with good footwork. That was my whole point. Guards are you usually stronger and good in a phone booth like you said gk. I totally agree with that.

what makes Moses a good RT is his long arms and decent footwork for a guy his size. The organization knew Scherff had short arms and questionable footwork in college. So that is why I said it was a risk to take him at #5. But he would be a better guard in the NFL b/c of his strength and run blocking ability. That is why fans were upset about his pick. He wasn't a slam dunk OT.

there was no risk at all you take the best player on the board scherf was it end of story . so what if he played OG ? didnt matter then and it doesnt matter now

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that skinsdad. That just saying why people were pissed at draft time.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a lot of fans were pissed. you, shark, and skinsdad are not all the skins fans in the country.