• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defense 2016 Right Now

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DE: If Scot can talk Hatcher into coming back, I am okay with it, I guess. I really think Wilkerson next to Knighton could have a huge impact, but I'm not sure Baker is fast enough to play RE, and Scot doesn't seem like the type to pay the kind of money it will take to get him. He like size in the trenches so you never know. I am okay with standing pat at this position if Hatcher stays. Might get something out of Paea next year too.

NT: I'd bring Knighton back. I don't see teams beating his door down this Spring, so we should be able to bring him back on a team friendly deal. Kearse is coming along. Wouldn't be opposed to spending a 4th on a young run stuffing NT to replace a guy like Golston. Wouldn't be opposed to bringing Golston back either.

ILB: If I have a chance to get a guy like Jaylon Smith at 21, I AM ALL OVER IT. Kiper has him #2 on his big board. Reports are that there was no nerve damage as feared and should be ready around September. If Smith falls and we take him, that might mean we should hang on to Riley Jr. just in case he's not ready to go week 1. I love Compton and I think he will only get better. So smart. If they decide to go in another direction with the 1st pick, I would take a look at Trevathan from Denver. He's a hawk, and would be even better with a guy like Compton directing him. #1 or Trevathan, Compton, Foster, Riley Jr or Spaight

OLB: Kerrigan, Galette, Smith, Murphy Done.

CB: I am not sure what Culliver will look like when he gets back. I hope more like AP, and less like RG. Breeland is coming along at a nice rate, but this is a pressing need that never gets talked about by the local media. We don't have a true #1 corner. The kid that Walter has mocked to us looks good. William Jackson from U of H. 6'2 with range. Check out his highlighs if you get a chance. I could live with Culliver, Breeland, Jackson, Blackmon, and Dunbar. It wouldn't hurt my feeling either to take a run at Smith or even go all out and try to pry Norman away from Carolina, how ever slim that possibility may be.

FS: It appears that Goldson and Jarrett are going to be our FS's. Goldson leaves a lot to be desired at times but he was the one that called that players only meeting and the team really looks to him. Makes letting him go kind of dicey.

SS: I hope Hall is the answer. I bring Ihenacho back to compete with Hall. Odds are one, if not both of these guys will go down, so having them both on the roster covers us. I let Johnson walk and draft a SS in teh 4th. I might even try to trade out of the 1st round and take Kearse with a high 2nd if possible. I don't like the free agent safties.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DE: If Scot can talk Hatcher into coming back, I am okay with it, I guess. I really think Wilkerson next to Knighton could have a huge impact, but I'm not sure Baker is fast enough to play RE, and Scot doesn't seem like the type to pay the kind of money it will take to get him. He like size in the trenches so you never know. I am okay with standing pat at this position if Hatcher stays. Might get something out of Paea next year too.

NT: I'd bring Knighton back. I don't see teams beating his door down this Spring, so we should be able to bring him back on a team friendly deal. Kearse is coming along. Wouldn't be opposed to spending a 4th on a young run stuffing NT to replace a guy like Golston. Wouldn't be opposed to bringing Golston back either.

ILB: If I have a chance to get a guy like Jaylon Smith at 21, I AM ALL OVER IT. Kiper has him #2 on his big board. Reports are that there was no nerve damage as feared and should be ready around September. If Smith falls and we take him, that might mean we should hang on to Riley Jr. just in case he's not ready to go week 1. I love Compton and I think he will only get better. So smart. If they decide to go in another direction with the 1st pick, I would take a look at Trevathan from Denver. He's a hawk, and would be even better with a guy like Compton directing him. #1 or Trevathan, Compton, Foster, Riley Jr or Spaight

OLB: Kerrigan, Galette, Smith, Murphy Done.

CB: I am not sure what Culliver will look like when he gets back. I hope more like AP, and less like RG. Breeland is coming along at a nice rate, but this is a pressing need that never gets talked about by the local media. We don't have a true #1 corner. The kid that Walter has mocked to us looks good. William Jackson from U of H. 6'2 with range. Check out his highlighs if you get a chance. I could live with Culliver, Breeland, Jackson, Blackmon, and Dunbar. It wouldn't hurt my feeling either to take a run at Smith or even go all out and try to pry Norman away from Carolina, how ever slim that possibility may be.

FS: It appears that Goldson and Jarrett are going to be our FS's. Goldson leaves a lot to be desired at times but he was the one that called that players only meeting and the team really looks to him. Makes letting him go kind of dicey.

SS: I hope Hall is the answer. I bring Ihenacho back to compete with Hall. Odds are one, if not both of these guys will go down, so having them both on the roster covers us. I let Johnson walk and draft a SS in teh 4th. I might even try to trade out of the 1st round and take Kearse with a high 2nd if possible. I don't like the free agent safties.

I really like Wilkerson but wouldn't be close to paying what he will be asking...expect close to 15 mil/ season.

Not as big on Norman. Again, his price tag will be crazy high. He was the best in the league this season and will get at least 13/season.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the draft is where we need to look to solve these issues and steer clear of big name free agents

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're going to be pricey, no doubt. I'd call their agents just to kick the tires on Wilkerson and Norman, but would be more than happy to bring Hatcher back and grab a tall corner in the 2nd.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can make an argument that every position needs an upgrade except OLB assuming Galette comes back. Hell no to hatcher, this guy is too old and too overpaid. I would love to see him retire. The draft is loaded with dlineman and I believe a dlineman will be drafted @21 overall. especially if Pot Roast leaves in FA. I think there is going to be a lot of changes on defense. Don't be shocked to see Goldston cut b/c his contract is outrageous.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Golds on re-works his deal. If not he's gone. The only reason I think Scot is trying convince Jason to come back is because he wants to spend that 1st elsewhere and doesn't want to pony up for Wilkerson having just given Paea money.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the money for Jason is way too much. There is no upside if he stays. In theory we should be fine with Baker, Paea, and Francois at DE. But there is too much talent in this draft to pass on one of the dlineman. If we are going to roll the dice with a player making way too much money is should be Jackson. He is overpaid but his upside is huge not Hatchers.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the money for Jason is way too much. There is no upside if he stays. In theory we should be fine with Baker, Paea, and Francois at DE. But there is too much talent in this draft to pass on one of the dlineman. If we are going to roll the dice with a player making way too much money is should be Jackson. He is overpaid but his upside is huge not Hatchers.

hatcher retiring is best but if he doesnt it doesn make economic sense to cut him . cut him in 17

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets hope he retires and helps us out financially.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets hope he retires and helps us out financially.

Actually if he retires or is cut it hurts more than helps. It means we have two holes to fill on the line if we dont resign Knighton, and its also a leadership void. I dont care how well touted a rookie is, SMGM is trying to establish a culture in the locker room, and these guys have helped.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean keeping Jackson is a no brainer, and cutting Hatcher, just to cut him doesn't make sense to me. Cap hit and a leader in the locker room. If he retires, so be it. Won't miss his 2 or 3 sacks that much. I think he could hold it down while we fix the secondary and the o-line.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are going to pass up a dlineman in this draft just to keep hatcher for one more year? No way. The strength of this draft is the dline. We should get one @21.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With so many quality dlineman coming out in this years draft. We should probably trade down with all of our holes on defense. This dline class has to be one of the deepest in history.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Secondary, ILB, o-line are more pressing needs imo. Can't fix everything in one year. If they are not going to make a run at Wilkerson, I'd rather them just ride out with Hatcher, see if Paea can give us something, and wait till next year.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can make an argument that every position needs an upgrade except OLB assuming Galette comes back. Hell no to hatcher, this guy is too old and too overpaid. I would love to see him retire. The draft is loaded with dlineman and I believe a dlineman will be drafted @21 overall. especially if Pot Roast leaves in FA. I think there is going to be a lot of changes on defense. Don't be shocked to see Goldston cut b/c his contract is outrageous.

I totally agree that there is no unit, other than OLB if they sign Gilette, that can't use an upgrade. What they really need is an impact player regardless of position. If Jaylon Smith falls to us you have to make that move. I agree there is no way Goldston's play warrants the number his contract calls for next year, same with Hatcher.

Stupid question but if Hatcher retires do they take a cap hit?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree that there is no unit, other than OLB if they sign Gilette, that can't use an upgrade. What they really need is an impact player regardless of position. If Jaylon Smith falls to us you have to make that move. I agree there is no way Goldston's play warrants the number his contract calls for next year, same with Hatcher.

Stupid question but if Hatcher retires do they take a cap hit?
No. If he quits on his own, he voids the contract. That is except any upfront bonus money he received. Not sure how that is handled. If he gets to keep it all, then the cap will get dinged for the outstanding prorated amount left on the life of the contract. If he has to give some if it back, then no cap hit.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. If he quits on his own, he voids the contract. That is except any upfront bonus money he received. Not sure how that is handled. If he gets to keep it all, then the cap will get dinged for the outstanding prorated amount left on the life of the contract. If he has to give some if it back, then no cap hit.
I was referring to the hit from the pro-rated bonus, just as it would should he be cut.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to the hit from the pro-rated bonus, just as it would should he be cut.

To clarify j_y's pt - see below:

NFL Salary Cap FAQs | Russell Street Report | Ravens News

Jason Hatcher

How does the release or retirement of a player affect the Salary Cap?

When a player is released (or retires), the team is relieved of having the pay the player’s base salary (P5) and any Roster Bonus that may become due after that, but still will need to account for any Signing or Option Bonus prorations that haven’t yet counted against the Salary Cap.

Since the prorations from year 5 accelerated against the Cap, there will be no future Cap implications from the release. The retirement of a player is treated the same as the release of a player.

In Hatcher's case this would be approximately $4.5 next season.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To clarify j_y's pt - see below:

NFL Salary Cap FAQs | Russell Street Report | Ravens News

Jason Hatcher

How does the release or retirement of a player affect the Salary Cap?

When a player is released (or retires), the team is relieved of having the pay the player’s base salary (P5) and any Roster Bonus that may become due after that, but still will need to account for any Signing or Option Bonus prorations that haven’t yet counted against the Salary Cap.

Since the prorations from year 5 accelerated against the Cap, there will be no future Cap implications from the release. The retirement of a player is treated the same as the release of a player.

In Hatcher's case this would be approximately $4.5 next season.

Thanks, that's what I thought. So why would we want him to retire? From the team's perspective I'd like them to decide if the cap hit is worth his release, not having the cap hit forced on them with his retirement.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, that's what I thought. So why would we want him to retire? From the team's perspective I'd like them to decide if the cap hit is worth his release, not having the cap hit forced on them with his retirement.

If he retires, the team could designate him a june 1st guy for accounting purposes and split up the cap hit. As i mentioned, I dont care about the money because long term we can figure it out. Hatcher is a locker room leader and a mentor to our younger guys. I think his value there is greater than his impact on the field. And him retiring would mean D-Line goes from a possible top need to THE top need for this team.