• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defense 2016 Right Now

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right I agree your typical right tackle is a guy who is tall with long arms with good footwork. That was my whole point. Guards are you usually stronger and good in a phone booth like you said gk. I totally agree with that.

what makes Moses a good RT is his long arms and decent footwork for a guy his size. The organization knew Scherff had short arms and questionable footwork in college. So that is why I said it was a risk to take him at #5. But he would be a better guard in the NFL b/c of his strength and run blocking ability. That is why fans were upset about his pick. He wasn't a slam dunk OT.

Moses has longer arms than Scherff but Scherff isn't exactly a TREX and he has huge hands. Also, Scherff has very good footwork.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. I will leave that one alone.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. I will leave that one alone.
2015 NFL Draft Profile: Brandon Scherff

Excerpt

STRENGTHS

Weight-room star who can lift a house. Powerful run blocker with exceptional power in hips and legs. Moves well laterally and rarely allows defensive ends to set edge against him. Consistently gets push. Rolls hips under him at contact and will bring feet with him. Recognizes twists and delayed blitzes. Gets into set position with flat back when delivering punch. Respectable change of direction in pass pro and on second level. Shows second effort and recovery ability in pass pro. Able to hit moving targets in space. Swings hips into position in cut-off blocks. Improved cut-off blocking from junior to senior year. Exhibits composed, efficient movement.

Dude, just stop. Really

Oh and for contrast

2014 NFL Draft Profile: Morgan Moses

Excerpt

WEAKNESSES

Plays too tall and needs to drop anchor more consistently. Heavy on his feet and tends to bend at the waist. Lethargic shifting his weight -- stressed by speed and quickness and cannot recover when beaten. Limited hip snap and is not sudden or explosive. Does not breathe fire -- plays smaller than his size in the run game and does not seek to bury defenders. Weight has fluctuated and conditioning needs to be monitored closely. Recorded the slowest 10-yard split (2.08 seconds) of any participant at the combine and tied for the lowest vertical jump (21 1/2 inches) among all offensive linemen.

So basically, the draft reports on these guys are totally the opposite of what you have been spouting about each. Scherff was actually praised for his footwork and ability to handle edge rushers... Moses... not so much

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that skinsdad. That just saying why people were pissed at draft time.

the only people who were pissed are the ones who were wrong

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is wright and no one is wrong. This is an opinion board. Here are Scheff weaknesses.

Weaknesses
Will default to sumo-style power push rather than leg churning at times. Not a grab-and-control pass protector. Opens the gate earlier than you would like against edge rushers offering two-way goes. Tightly wound lower body with average bend. Sometimes gives one-shot effort on second-level blocks, allowing his man back into the play. Has dominant finishing traits, but not a consistent finisher of blocks. Would love to see more fiery play demeanor from him.

Plus where are all the draft reports that say he would be a better guard?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this from walterfootball.

Washington Redskins: Brandon Scherff, G/OT, Iowa: C Grade
Wow... with Leonard Williams available? I know Williams was slightly overrated by the media, but he should be the fifth-overall pick. Not a guard. I like Brandon Scherff a lot, and I think he'll be a solid player for the Redskins, but guards just don't have the same impact as a dominant defensive lineman. I'm not going to give the Redskins a "Millen," or anything, because they had to upgrade Robert Griffin's pass protection. However, spending the fifth-overall selection on a guard just doesn't seem like a smart idea. If anything, Washington should've moved down a couple of spots and snagged Scherff at No. 7 or 8.

I guess someone else agrees in what I am saying.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Safest Pick: Brandon Scherff, Iowa
image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Iowa_logo.gif

Iowa_logo.gif
The only guard who has a real shot to be a first-round pick this year is Scherff, and he is clearly one of the most NFL ready offensive linemen. At guard, I think Scherff is one of the safest picks in the 2015 NFL Draft. He is extremely strong to be a road-grading run-blocker at the point of attack. While Scherff doesn't have the pass-protection skills for left tackle in the NFL, his pass blocking should be very good for a guard. The 6-foot-5, 319-pounder should go in the top half of the first round and could quickly become a Pro Bowl guard.

Read more at WalterFootball.com: Position Review - Guards

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
/27/15: For the NFL, Scherff fits as a guard and maybe a right tackle. He was strong and athletic at the Combine to solidify his stock as a top-16 pick. In speaking with teams, they feel that Scherff will go in the top 10 and won't be there for teams picking in the early teens. Sources also said that Scherff interviewed very well at the Combine.

Scherff was a tough run-blocker throughout 2014, but there still remain questions about his ability to handle NFL-caliber speed rushers. Scherff looks a little stiff for defending them. He could be a stud at guard. Scherff has short arms (33 3/8 inches) and doesn't have the feet for left tackle.

Overall, Scherff was solid against Tennessee in Iowa's bowl game. Volunteers freshman defensive end Derek Barnett beat Scherff on a few plays, but didn't record a sack against Scherff. Scherff was cruising along in 2014 until a horrible outing against Maryland. He allowed pressure on the quarterback throughout that contest. Scherff was beaten for one sack, but easily could have allowed another handful. He struggled with speed rushes and also was run over in some bull rushes. It was bad tape that could indicate that Scherff should maybe not be a left tackle in the NFL. However, he is pretty quick with the ability to fire to blocks on the second level, so perhaps his problems can be fixed with coaching.

Early in the year, Scherff looked good against a string of easy opponents. He injured his knee in Week 2 against Northern Iowa and had a minor surgical procedure a few days after the game. The senior was expected to miss a few games, but didn't miss one as he played in Iowa's loss to Iowa State.

8/27/14: Scherff was one of the top tackles in the Big Ten in 2013. Iowa has produced a lot of good NFL prospects on the offensive line, and Scherff is the latest Hawkeye to be an early-round prospect. He could fit as a power-man or zone blocker. Scherff has the feet and agility to move well as a pass-protector. He is very effective in the ground game, too. Scherff's returning school to possibly improve as a senior will give him a much better shot at moving up in the draft.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shark and gk. This is where I got my info from on Scherff. walterfootball.com. Read and enjoy.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dean, as we have pointed out numerous times. The flaw in your logic is your love of Williams. Scherff could have been voted all pro this year and you would still be kicking the side ways agenda that we made a mistake in taking him over Williams. You bought the hype on Williams and YOU were pissed when we passed on him. End of story.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the walterfootball posts. I told you I am fine with Scherff as a guard. You said Scherff could be a RT.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the walterfootball posts. I told you I am fine with Scherff as a guard. You said Scherff could be a RT.

And nothing you have said or shown has proved he CANT be a RT. You said he was to short and had too short of arms. I proved you wrong by SHOWING you a starting RT with damn near the exact same measurable s. And if I dig a littler deeper, I can likely find two or three more.

YOu said he didnt have the foot work, which again was crap.

You are like one of these kids with their love of rice burner cars. You had your heart set on Williams and thus ANY ONE we would have drafted wasnt going to cut it unless they came out and became a hall of famer while they were still in the league.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't talking about Scherff when I said that about the OG's. You misunderstood. I bolded when it said he couldnt handle NFL speed rushers. Scherff had huge flaws as an OT which I am pointing out. That is all I am saying. You still think he is an NFL tackle. He is an NFL guard. Which I am fine with.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherff on Tuesday was selected by the Pro Football Writers of America (PFWA) as All-Rookie Team member.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great. I hope he becomes a great NFL guard.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this from walterfootball.

Washington Redskins: Brandon Scherff, G/OT, Iowa: C Grade
Wow... with Leonard Williams available? I know Williams was slightly overrated by the media, but he should be the fifth-overall pick. Not a guard. I like Brandon Scherff a lot, and I think he'll be a solid player for the Redskins, but guards just don't have the same impact as a dominant defensive lineman. I'm not going to give the Redskins a "Millen," or anything, because they had to upgrade Robert Griffin's pass protection. However, spending the fifth-overall selection on a guard just doesn't seem like a smart idea. If anything, Washington should've moved down a couple of spots and snagged Scherff at No. 7 or 8.

I guess someone else agrees in what I am saying.
I'm sorry, but where does Walter say that Moses destroyed Schreff to win the RT position early in training camp? Because that is what everyone is arguing with you about. All this other shit in tha last 50 posts is you trying to justify that Schreff can't be a tackle.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walter makes my point by saying Scherff is not a nfl style tackle. Scherff is a guard.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are saying he has all the tools to be an OT in this league. Im saying he doesn't and Im backing it up with Walters articles.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who does Walter coach?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not saying its a fact. But everyone said I was out of my mind when I mentioned the same thing. I had to actually post walters articles to support my point. Of course anything can happen.