• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bourbon/whiskey suggestions

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been on a slight bourbon/whiskey kick in the past month. My plan is to try a different one each time and so far have went through a bottle of Maker's Mark and Evan Williams black and just picked up Jim Beam Devil's Cut. While I liked MM, I found EW to be smoother, but not as complex to my palette. Of course it was half the price of MM and I was looking to drink quite a bit that weekend.

I'm just polishing off my first double of Devil's Cut and it is my favorite out of the three so far. Will probably be one I'll keep on hand for a glass here or there after work/dinner when I want to enjoy a drink.

Even though I just opened is bottle, I'm looking for suggestions on my next buy. I'd like to keep the price tag in the under $40 per fifth range. For what it matters, I like my drinks neat.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been on a slight bourbon/whiskey kick in the past month. My plan is to try a different one each time and so far have went through a bottle of Maker's Mark and Evan Williams black and just picked up Jim Beam Devil's Cut. While I liked MM, I found EW to be smoother, but not as complex to my palette. Of course it was half the price of MM and I was looking to drink quite a bit that weekend.

I'm just polishing off my first double of Devil's Cut and it is my favorite out of the three so far. Will probably be one I'll keep on hand for a glass here or there after work/dinner when I want to enjoy a drink.

Even though I just opened is bottle, I'm looking for suggestions on my next buy. I'd like to keep the price tag in the under $40 per fifth range. For what it matters, I like my drinks neat.
Wild Turkey.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I couldn't be much help as I prefer rum if I drink hard alcohol. I do have a friend that is a connoisseur, I could ask him about suggestions.

I don't think you could go wrong with Jack Daniels, I actually found that I can stomach the Honey Jack pretty easily. Beyond that there is Glenlivet, Pappy Van Winkle, Bulleit and other that should fall under the $40 price range. Be careful if you get into the new craft Wiskey's, as some of them are not what they claim. Not that they are bad, some are quite good from what I hear, but you start paying for a story that may or may not be true........see Goerge Dickel.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't be much help as I prefer rum if I drink hard alcohol. I do have a friend that is a connoisseur, I could ask him about suggestions.

I don't think you could go wrong with Jack Daniels, I actually found that I can stomach the Honey Jack pretty easily. Beyond that there is Glenlivet, Pappy Van Winkle, Bulleit and other that should fall under the $40 price range. Be careful if you get into the new craft Wiskey's, as some of them are not what they claim. Not that they are bad, some are quite good from what I hear, but you start paying for a story that may or may not be true........see Goerge Dickel.
Glenlivet is Scotch
You won't find any Pappy Van Winkle for anywhere near $40. Even the 12 year is a couple hundred dollars these days if you can find it.

Try Buffalo Trace, Blantons, Basil Hayden, Bookers, Elijah Craig, 4Roses

Those are all much better bourbons for an affordable price than stuff like Evan Williams and the Devil's Cut stuff.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I debated the Elijah Craig and 4 Roses when I picked up the Devil's Cut, so I may give them a try next.

I will say that I'll stay away from flavored whiskeys, at least for now.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty much just a rum drinker but about the only whisky I've found I can drink neat is Wild Turkey honey.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you thank me later, its bourbon but aweeeeeeesome, dont do shots!! its heavily spiced......its a sipping drink.....or just with coke.....

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Glenlivet is Scotch
You won't find any Pappy Van Winkle for anywhere near $40. Even the 12 year is a couple hundred dollars these days if you can find it.

Try Buffalo Trace, Blantons, Basil Hayden, Bookers, Elijah Craig, 4Roses

Those are all much better bourbons for an affordable price than stuff like Evan Williams and the Devil's Cut stuff.

Thank you for proving my point, I know nothing about whiskey. I haven't even heard of most of your suggestions. Doesn't Buffalo Trace make another brand called Eagle Rare or something like that. A guy at works likes Buffalo Trace and he brought it up.

I thought scotch was wiskey......learned something new today, now I can sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for proving my point, I know nothing about whiskey. I haven't even heard of most of your suggestions. Doesn't Buffalo Trace make another brand called Eagle Rare or something like that. A guy at works likes Buffalo Trace and he brought it up.

I thought scotch was wiskey......learned something new today, now I can sleep.
Yeah, Eagle Rare is another name under the Buffalo Trace distillery name. They actually own Pappy Van Winkle as well.

Yes, Scotch is whiskey, but it's important to differentiate different styles of whiskey since they each have distinctly different characteristics.

Whiskey is a vague term. It can refer to a specific spirit, like a well bourbon at a bar, or a huge umbrella of liquor.

Scotch Whiskey, Canadian Whiskey, Bourbon, Colorado Straight Whiskey, Japanese Whiskey, etc. All are technically whiskey, but they should really all have different names. Shit, even Scotch has a dozen different styles within its category.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you thank me later, its bourbon but aweeeeeeesome, dont do shots!! its heavily spiced......its a sipping drink.....or just with coke.....
Not sure what you're talking about here, though it seems you've had quite a bit of whatever it is.

Bourbon isn't spiced, and the honey infused shit some of you keep talking about is for college kids. Don't drink that shit if you really want to appreciate good bourbon. It's awful.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revel Stoke

Red River

McAdams

Windsor

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wild Turkey 101
Fighting Cock
My high school favorite, Canadian Mist

But you strike me as a Gentleman Jack kind of guy.

I didn't really care for the Devil's Cut Jim Beam. To me it was just like regular Jim Beam with a jacked up price.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or do like me. I just spent 120 dollars on 1.5 gallons of white corn liquor, or white lightning or oonshine, whatever you wanna call it. It'll put some fuzz on your chewin gum.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or do like me. I just spent 120 dollars on 1.5 gallons of white corn liquor, or white lightning or oonshine, whatever you wanna call it. It'll put some fuzz on your chewin gum.

I'm from the Moonshine Capital of the World - Franklin County, VA. If you're paying $120 for 1.5 gal, you're getting robbed.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*.........~Wild-Turkey~ 101....[I have a bottle of 108],.....don't buy a bottle of 80-proof, that's what the bar-rooms buy/$ell and serve [ehh].