• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are NFL Teams Coercing Players?

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i could possibly see some teams doing something like this but i think most understand this year is very strange and people need to make personal decisions.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are starting that some NFL teams have coerced players to not opt out due to Covid worries or family concerns. When six Patriots opted out and the McCourty brothers considering it, Players have started asking questions to their teams. Some players have stated that they would have believed that Bill Belichick would have drawn a line in the sand and are shocked that he has been so supportive of his players.

If Mr. Hardass, Do Your Job, has no issues with his players opting out, maybe more players might opt out.

Nope. Dead silence. Too many teams think that they are right there competing for the SB LV Ring. The media hasn't even mentioned this because it certainly isn't in the NFL's best interest or in any team that's forcing players to play "or else."

With an average career expectancy of 3.5 years, there are players that don't want to risk a potential lucrative career beyond 3.5.

Teams are refusing to answer questions about players seeking opt out info.
Good, keep quiet and let's play football!

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking more of the season being cancelled and you're right at this point. I would say though, that if too much of the talent decides to go this route, that an inferior product could adversely effect the bottom line at some point down the road. It's going to be effected by a loss of fans in stadiums anyway. The thing is that the owners were looking at negotiations coming up in the next couple of years for the TV revenue that was going to be a big bump. The owners know this and know that with the loss of other revenue, they will need that to make up the shortfall. Not that they can cry poverty but they were looking to almost double their TV revenue in 2022. If the networks show losses, they could essentially see a lesser deal coming and too many star players opting out could possibly effect that. This is just my 2 cents though. There are a lot of things in play here, imo. We really don't know how all of this will play out.

I get it, but the Owners have played on without star players in the past, and would probably do so again.

IMO this season has to be looked at as an outlier, since it will be like no other.

Beside with no fans in the stands wouldn't that boost TV viewership and the league can try to squeeze more out of the networks?

As for the whole coercion idea, as if now I can find nothing on it via the web. Yes the OP did say face to face so maybe he and his friends are discussing it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on. We all know the BB is masterminding as many players to opt out as possible. An easy Tank for Trevor in which a 2 win season doesn't kill his legacy. It's a genius move. As usual, BB one step ahead of the pack.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on. We all know the BB is masterminding as many players to opt out as possible. An easy Tank for Trevor in which a 2 win season doesn't kill his legacy. It's a genius move. As usual, BB one step ahead of the pack.

Soon news will break that Belichick has coerced players TO Opt Out of this season.
Win Win for BB. If he fails he's got an inside track at a real QB, if he's successful, he pretty much cements his GOAT status.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it, but the Owners have played on without star players in the past, and would probably do so again.

IMO this season has to be looked at as an outlier, since it will be like no other.

Beside with no fans in the stands wouldn't that boost TV viewership and the league can try to squeeze more out of the networks?

As for the whole coercion idea, as if now I can find nothing on it via the web. Yes the OP did say face to face so maybe he and his friends are discussing it.
Oh, absolutely @Manster7588 . They will do everything they can to play. I don't think there is coercion going on either. I just think it's valid to ask if owners are doing their best to address concerns from players is all. We all know there is a huge void between owners and players in most cases. Especually when money is involved.
As for the TV ratings, yeah, maybe short term there's a bump but a lot of average fans are fickle and will tune out if the entertainment value isn't there, I think. As I said, we will have to see how everything plays out. Hell, if a vaccine for this thing gets produced , this could all be moot and life could get back to normal.
Anyway, cheers brother. I have to get going.
To all of you on SportsHoopla, hope you and your families are all staying safe and well.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're a family man, you're basically going to put yourself in quarantine for the season. Do you expect these guys to isolate themselves at home and away, having meals brought in and eating in their rooms, doing team meetings by Skype and not going out to clubs at night?

The Marlins got in trouble, reportedly, because they went out clubbing after games. Healthy young guys by themselves will almost certainly test positive but be OK, but are you going to bring this shit home to your family?

The NHL is trying the Bubble concept, but that's also a quarantine for the duration.

This just isn't going to work.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the road. It's going to be effected Not that they can cry poverty but they were looking to almost double their TV revenue in 2022.
That is imaginary money.
Their belief in their future value is imaginary.
They lose nothing.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're a family man, you're basically going to put yourself in quarantine for the season. Do you expect these guys to isolate themselves at home and away, having meals brought in and eating in their rooms, doing team meetings by Skype and not going out to clubs at night?

The Marlins got in trouble, reportedly, because they went out clubbing after games. Healthy young guys by themselves will almost certainly test positive but be OK, but are you going to bring this shit home to your family?

The NHL is trying the Bubble concept, but that's also a quarantine for the duration.

This just isn't going to work.
Then stop testing for covid and if anyone gets the flu have them sleep until they feel better. Next man up.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's a fringe player or a player otherwise unlikely to make the roster who wouldn't get paid then the team is better off cutting the player to get down to the 80-man limit. That would allow any team to sign him at a later date if he changes his mind.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not read through but the title is click-bait. My 2 cents are:
- NFL is a business composed of 32 companies
- Players are employees of those companies
- They should behave as such
- Too much greed ... do the job you are paid to do; agents are the most greedy

Pretty simple stuff. It has been happening for 000s of years.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres a better chance Bill is asking Pats to opt out so they can tank for Trevor without it being so obvious.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not read through but the title is click-bait. My 2 cents are:
- NFL is a business composed of 32 companies
- Players are employees of those companies
- They should behave as such
- Too much greed ... do the job you are paid to do; agents are the most greedy

Pretty simple stuff. It has been happening for 000s of years.
Dude..... I found your car.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's in your pic.
Ah, that is a forest for country run. That baby pushes, inline six turbo. Steers like on rails, traction on rear wheels, supercar style!

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players know the season is toast. Why would they want to risk injury for a few meaningless games. If they stay healthy and in shape, the lost year may mean nothing in terms of career.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players know the season is toast. Why would they want to risk injury for a few meaningless games. If they stay healthy and in shape, the lost year may mean nothing in terms of career.
True, this logic may start to gain traction.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bill is ok with players opting out because there is probably a 0 chance the patriots will win the super bowl.

And gives him an excuse if the team is bad sans Brady.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, that is a forest for country run. That baby pushes, inline six turbo. Steers like on rails, traction on rear wheels, supercar style!
Only 320 horsies in this one. Stock with some factory plusses.