• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Draft & FA. Where do we start?

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they did. I agree with others on here that some of the players we lost were bad contracts. But some weren't. The deal Tyron signed was a great deal for the Jets. If he plays the exact same # of snaps as he played last season for the Cowboys he gets $12 million. He only gets $20M if he plays the entire season. We have lost 8 starters/rotational players and added 1. Apparently, we can't talk to anyone who wants more the $2M a year. The two starters we land in the draft and the scrub/injured/old FA's we signed aren't going to be enough. WTF is it going to look like around here when Dak, Parsons, Lamb and Diggs are making a combined $145M a year soon?
Really looks like they may need to trade down and get more picks if they insist on solely using the draft to build the roster. That is a huge gamble.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really looks like they may need to trade down and get more picks if they insist on solely using the draft to build the roster. That is a huge gamble.
It would take good value but I wouldn't mind that. There are gonna be some dudes there when they pick

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin was a hell of a pick. But yeah my top target was Donald in that draft.
The Rams did not even need a DT tackle at that time. That blew me away they drafted him. Sometimes you just can't pass up talent and fit them in. Like we should have with Watt.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1710955619840.png

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams did not even need a DT tackle at that time. That blew me away they drafted him. Sometimes you just can't pass up talent and fit them in. Like we should have with Watt.
I was on Donalds bandwagon early on,even before the Combine when he was being mocked as a 2nd rounder. Screw the damn measurables. This was back when Marinelli has lots of input very bad input. Now I could not bash the FO to bad,because Donald was picked in front of Martin.

I was livid when Watt dropped and they picked Burrito. I thought at the time that Watt looked like a top 10 pick.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not good,although the only one I really wanted back off this departure list was Tyron Smith and maybe Pollard. I thought bringing back Lewis and Goodwin very solid.

Dowdle,Davis Siege?? Big whoppty do da. Dowdle is made of glass .

If Gilmore is still a FA I want him back. Really want him back.

If Sam Williams gets his head out of his ass he could get double digit sacks IMO

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not good,although the only one I really wanted back off this departure list was Tyron Smith and maybe Pollard. I thought bringing back Lewis and Goodwin very solid.

Dowdle,Davis Siege?? Big whoppty do da. Dowdle is made of glass .

If Gilmore is still a FA I want him back. Really want him back.

If Sam Williams gets his head out of his ass he could get double digit sacks IMO
Tyron, Pollard, and Gilmore(if he leaves which sounds likely, LVE and Hankins were all good solid starters. Biadasz had limitations but was a starter and made the Pro Bowl. Gallup had a down year but was a starter. Armstrong and Fowler were solid rotational guys.
Can we upgrade some of those guys? Heck yes. Use your 1st rounder on Jackson Powers-Johnson and that's an upgrade. Use a 2nd rounder on Xavier Worthy and that's an upgrade. I wouldn't count on upgrading anything else with a 3rd-7th, that's blind luck. Say Kendricks equals LVE. We get back Diggs and Overshown so there's that. What about the rest? Who is the LT? If it's Tyler, who's the LG? Who is the RB? We can't afford any of the ones off the board for $3M or more. Are we gonna roll scrub FA and Malik Davis? Are they counting on Mazi to be Hanks upgrade lol? Practice squad guys to replace Dorance abd Fowler? Doesn't look good to me. And the depth looks worse

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was on Donalds bandwagon early on,even before the Combine when he was being mocked as a 2nd rounder. Screw the damn measurables. This was back when Marinelli has lots of input very bad input. Now I could not bash the FO to bad,because Donald was picked in front of Martin.

I was livid when Watt dropped and they picked Burrito. I thought at the time that Watt looked like a top 10 pick.
I was as mad at not taking Watt as missing on Stephen Jackson.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyron, Pollard, and Gilmore(if he leaves which sounds likely, LVE and Hankins were all good solid starters. Biadasz had limitations but was a starter and made the Pro Bowl. Gallup had a down year but was a starter. Armstrong and Fowler were solid rotational guys.
Can we upgrade some of those guys? Heck yes. Use your 1st rounder on Jackson Powers-Johnson and that's an upgrade. Use a 2nd rounder on Xavier Worthy and that's an upgrade. I wouldn't count on upgrading anything else with a 3rd-7th, that's blind luck. Say Kendricks equals LVE. We get back Diggs and Overshown so there's that. What about the rest? Who is the LT? If it's Tyler, who's the LG? Who is the RB? We can't afford any of the ones off the board for $3M or more. Are we gonna roll scrub FA and Malik Davis? Are they counting on Mazi to be Hanks upgrade lol? Practice squad guys to replace Dorance abd Fowler? Doesn't look good to me. And the depth looks worse
Maybe Jerry is actually going to let Dak play out his contract. It sure looks that way right now. If so it’s going to be a long season and if that’s what it takes so be it. But if they sign Dak it’s over for the next 5 years IMO. I don’t think they have the ability to find that many decent cheap players to fill the holes. This is exactly what bad contract management gets you without constantly rotating in new players like college and only keeping the special ones long term and bringing in some free agent talent that is at a reasonable cost to Salary cap with production. You can’t play moneyball in the NFL unless your lucky and stupid efficient in the draft and UDFA & FA on the cheap.
JMHO

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Jerry is actually going to let Dak play out his contract. It sure looks that way right now. If so it’s going to be a long season and if that’s what it takes so be it. But if they sign Dak it’s over for the next 5 years IMO. I don’t think they have the ability to find that many decent cheap players to fill the holes. This is exactly what bad contract management gets you without constantly rotating in new players like college and only keeping the special ones long term and bringing in some free agent talent that is at a reasonable cost to Salary cap with production. You can’t play moneyball in the NFL unless your lucky and stupid efficient in the draft and UDFA & FA on the cheap.
JMHO
Man if they let Dan play out I am 1000% good with this strategy. We would have some great young players to build around and a ton of cap space next year. But I will believe it when I see it. I think they resign Dak and pocket the money they could clear to sign FA's

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not drafting Jackson was beyond stupid. Cowboys had total trash at RB and trade down with Jackson right there. I was real pisst off.
Not drafting Randy Moss is something I'll never get over because I think that cost us a couple of more Super Bowls. For sheer stupidity, the Joey Galloway and Roy Williams trades(both direct results of not picking Moss BTW) can't be topped. If Jerry had simply sat back and been the owner who hired the best GM and wrote the checks, this franchise might be at 10 Championships instead of 5

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not drafting Randy Moss is something I'll never get over because I think that cost us a couple of more Super Bowls. For sheer stupidity, the Joey Galloway and Roy Williams trades(both direct results of not picking Moss BTW) can't be topped. If Jerry had simply sat back and been the owner who hired the best GM and wrote the checks, this franchise might be at 10 Championships instead of 5
For sure. The neighbors came over to my house right after the Cowboys passed on Moss. They heard a ton of loud cussing and we're about to call the cops. I thought for sure Moss was going to be the pick. I went off when they announced the pick was Greg Ellis. And like you say this led to those two terrible Trades.

Worried about his off the field stuff was crazy..

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kendricks is going to stabilize the LB core. Possibly he helps the young linebackers learn the game.

Kendricks was always a thorn in the Cowboys sides when they played the Vikings. When you look at his film you can see that he studies film. Very disciplined. He knows what the offense is trying to do.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kendricks is going to stabilize the LB core. Possibly he helps the young linebackers learn the game.

Kendricks was always a thorn in the Cowboys sides when they played the Vikings. When you look at his film you can see that he studies film. Very disciplined. He knows what the offense is trying to do.

I'm really happy we signed him and I do think he will be a fine signing but we need a lot of help at LBer and all he does so far is replace LVE. An upgrade, yes, but he signed a 1 year $3M deal for a reason. He isn't good enough to all of a sudden make us able to stop the run when we need to and in particular after we now lost our only good NT. Either through the draft or FA/Trade we need another starting LB capable of stopping the run. I don't see Overshown as that based on the pre-season hype from a rookie who then had a major injury and missed the entire season. Maybe he will, maybe he won't but we'd have to be complete morons to build the team assuming he will. I'd like to see him and Clark rotate next to Kendrick and another player on run downs and behind another NT that we also need to add.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really happy we signed him and I do think he will be a fine signing but we need a lot of help at LBer and all he does so far is replace LVE. An upgrade, yes, but he signed a 1 year $3M deal for a reason. He isn't good enough to all of a sudden make us able to stop the run when we need to and in particular after we now lost our only good NT. Either through the draft or FA/Trade we need another starting LB capable of stopping the run. I don't see Overshown as that based on the pre-season hype from a rookie who then had a major injury and missed the entire season. Maybe he will, maybe he won't but we'd have to be complete morons to build the team assuming he will. I'd like to see him and Clark rotate next to Kendrick and another player on run downs and behind another NT that we also need to add.
Kendrick, Overshown and Clark has potential but I would like a cheap, veteran guy to add to that group. Maybe Shaq Leonard at a decent price

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kendrick, Overshown and Clark has potential but I would like a cheap, veteran guy to add to that group. Maybe Shaq Leonard at a decent price
Totally agree on the potential. I love the potential for both of those guys to be starters or at least rotation guys. Just need a more sure thing for this upcoming year. Shaq Leonard was kind of crappy with Philly. Unless there was an injury he may be done. I think both a vet and a draft pick would be the best. I'm not sure at this point how we are going to fill all of our holes in the draft though

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to the OL
If grades are similar. I honestly hope we go Center before the Left Tackle. Think it is more important overall.

BTW. Who is supposed to be the top center in this draft?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to the OL
If grades are similar. I honestly hope we go Center before the Left Tackle. Think it is more important overall.

BTW. Who is supposed to be the top center in this draft?
Jackson Powers-Johnson is the top prospect and looks like a stud. I think Zack Frazier will be a real good starter. Sedrick Van Pran-Granger is the guy if you miss on those two

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree on the potential. I love the potential for both of those guys to be starters or at least rotation guys. Just need a more sure thing for this upcoming year. Shaq Leonard was kind of crappy with Philly. Unless there was an injury he may be done. I think both a vet and a draft pick would be the best. I'm not sure at this point how we are going to fill all of our holes in the draft though
We can't fill all the holes we have. There's no way. It's looking like the VERY best we can hope for is that we are only a little less talented than last year. There's no way we are gonna be stronger