• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Draft...way too early talk

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mostly see Evans as our pick being mocked to us. I feel the same way about him as I did Watt. Love the upside but the experience isn't there. He just doesn't have the numbers for a first round pick to me. Watt didn't either and that turned out well so I won't bash it.

I have a feeling though that unless one of the top three ILB fall to us we are taking Guice if he's available. That's my prediction. If Smith, Edmunds, and LVE are off the board and Guice is still there... Steelers take him.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mostly see Evans as our pick being mocked to us. I feel the same way about him as I did Watt. Love the upside but the experience isn't there. He just doesn't have the numbers for a first round pick to me. Watt didn't either and that turned out well so I won't bash it.

I have a feeling though that unless one of the top three ILB fall to us we are taking Guice if he's available. That's my prediction. If Smith, Edmunds, and LVE are off the board and Guice is still there... Steelers take him.
Used to think Evans or Reid... But now I'm thinking it will boil down to LVE, Guice or Reid. Evan's groin injury must be scaring Colbert away.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a HUGE steal at 60. That's a first round talent. I would be very surprised if he made it past the top of the second round.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line, we gotta get better at our first round picks.

Watt - Good first year, lets see if he can keep it going
Burns - Looks like a bust pick right now
Dupree - Hasn't reached his full potential in 4 years? Something is wrong there.
Shazier - Great talent with a tragic injury
Jones - Bust who isn't even in the league anymore

3 of the last 5 first round picks haven't panned out.

However, we've had a lot of luck with our 2nd round picks. JuJu, Sean Davis, Tuitt and Bell and that's just in the last 5 years. Our 1st round drafting has to be better than our 2nd round drafting in order to really make a difference.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LVE is picking up steam...I'm hearing some teams or scouts are likening him to Luke Kuechly. I'm thinking he's off the board early 20s. If Edmunds goes to CHI, OAK is reported taking Smith...I think LVE is the next LB off the board maybe 19 to DAL.

Evans and Guice one the board at 28...oooohhh, you think Guice.

IDK, but you might be right...if so do they try to trade Bell (assuming he signs his tag)?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line, we gotta get better at our first round picks.

Watt - Good first year, lets see if he can keep it going
Burns - Looks like a bust pick right now
Dupree - Hasn't reached his full potential in 4 years? Something is wrong there.
Shazier - Great talent with a tragic injury
Jones - Bust who isn't even in the league anymore

3 of the last 5 first round picks haven't panned out.

However, we've had a lot of luck with our 2nd round picks. JuJu, Sean Davis, Tuitt and Bell and that's just in the last 5 years. Our 1st round drafting has to be better than our 2nd round drafting in order to really make a difference.

Agreed, but the only bust has been Jones.

Burns, solid rookie yr, not so solid LY...needs a strong 3rd season.
Dupree...serviceable

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the more i think about it i see evans going earlier.............perhaps the boise kid slides due to medical issues

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the more i think about it i see evans going earlier.............perhaps the boise kid slides due to medical issues
Seems to me like there is more concern around the league over Evans' groin than LVE's neck.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Esch's health issues is what it making me not want him at 28. We don't need another injured or injury prone LB. We need youth and health. I do agree that Evans won't be there at 28. If Evans is gone, I really hope we do CB or Safety at 28.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After thinking about this for a while, I think I have who I want us to pick at 28. After looking at mock drafts, reading reports and watching a whole bunch of college football "film", this sentence will make me the happiest tonight:

With the 28th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft....the Pittsburgh Steelers select....Rashaan Evans, Linebacker from Alabama.

This is the perfect fit for the the biggest need for where we are in the draft. I don't think his injury is as serious as LVE's neck injury and we don't need another LB with a neck issue. You never know, with neck injuries, if it's more serious than it actually is or not. But if(and I think it's a good chance) Rashaan Evans is off the board by the time we pick, this sentence will make me the 2nd happiest tonight:

With the 28th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft...the Pittsburgh Steelers select....Justin Reid, Safety from Stanford.

In my opinion, the 2nd best safety in the draft. Having his brother being one of the best FA safeties, the bloodline looks good for having a Reid brother in black and gold. My worry is Reid is gone before us as well. Carolina is looking for young, talented secondary at 24. I'm sure New Orleans wouldn't mind getting more talent in the secondary either. So...if Reid AND Evans are off the board, this sentence will make me the 3rd happiest tonight:

With the 28th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft...the Pittsburgh Steelers select....Mason Rudolph, Quarterback from Oklahoma State

We need to start thinking about life after Ben. The future is foggy at best with our backup QB situation. With this more than likely being the last year for Le'Veon Bell, I don't see Ben coming back, I don't see AB being as productive with Landry or Dobbs at QB, I don't see the team being that good without Bell and Ben. RB at this spot could also be a good pick, but as recent history has taught us, the best RBs from the draft often come outside of the first round. I don't see a QB past the lower ranked guys (Rudolph and Jackson) being very good and we don't need another "eh, maybe he'll make a decent backup" thought process with drafting a QB. Give Rudolph a full year to learn behind Ben, MAYBE two years. Then when Ben retires, turn him lose. I really think Rudolph is a better QB than Baker Mayfield and he comes with less off the field distractions as well. I would be much more comfortable with drafting a QB at 28 than settling for Landry Jones or Joshua Dobbs right now. I do think Dobbs needs more time throwing to the 1s and 2s in practice and preseason games, but if the FO thinks Landry Jones is the answer, then guys, we are in for a long long future of Steelers football.

Those are my top 3 wants I would like. Surprise picks I could see? Jessie Bates from Wake (I think we could get him at 60, or maybe trade up in the early 2nd to grab him), Josh Jackson from Iowa (I don't think he lasts past Carolina at 24) and Sony Michel from UGA (Don't think it's smart to pick RB at 28, especially if we can get the same talent at 60).

Ya know....there is a way to make sure we get the guy we want..... :-) lol

Last edited:

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LVE is picking up steam...I'm hearing some teams or scouts are likening him to Luke Kuechly. I'm thinking he's off the board early 20s. If Edmunds goes to CHI, OAK is reported taking Smith...I think LVE is the next LB off the board maybe 19 to DAL.

Evans and Guice one the board at 28...oooohhh, you think Guice.

IDK, but you might be right...if so do they try to trade Bell (assuming he signs his tag)?
I think if they take a RB they still keep Bell this year and run his wheels off. Work in the new guy a little so he isn't too green when he takes over next year.

Mayock had LVE dropping out of the first round all together and the Steelers passing on Guice for Michel (who I hear has bone on bone issues in his knee similar to Ajayi). He seems to be under the same impression that I am though, that the Steelers are sick and tired of Bell and his demands and are ready to move on.

If I'm at the drivers seat I'm taking a RB early but not too early. Grab an ILB in the first and then an RB in the second.

Assuming value is there.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After thinking about this for a while, I think I have who I want us to pick at 28. After looking at mock drafts, reading reports and watching a whole bunch of college football "film", this sentence will make me the happiest tonight:

With the 28th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft....the Pittsburgh Steelers select....Rashaan Evans, Linebacker from Alabama.

This is the perfect fit for the the biggest need for where we are in the draft. I don't think his injury is as serious as LVE's neck injury and we don't need another LB with a neck issue. You never know, with neck injuries, if it's more serious than it actually is or not. But if(and I think it's a good chance) Rashaan Evans is off the board by the time we pick, this sentence will make me the 2nd happiest tonight:

With the 28th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft...the Pittsburgh Steelers select....Justin Reid, Safety from Stanford.

In my opinion, the 2nd best safety in the draft. Having his brother being one of the best FA safeties, the bloodline looks good for having a Reid brother in black and gold. My worry is Reid is gone before us as well. Carolina is looking for young, talented secondary at 24. I'm sure New Orleans wouldn't mind getting more talent in the secondary either. So...if Reid AND Evans are off the board, this sentence will make me the 3rd happiest tonight:

With the 28th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft...the Pittsburgh Steelers select....Mason Rudolph, Quarterback from Oklahoma State

We need to start thinking about life after Ben. The future is foggy at best with our backup QB situation. With this more than likely being the last year for Le'Veon Bell, I don't see Ben coming back, I don't see AB being as productive with Landry or Dobbs at QB, I don't see the team being that good without Bell and Ben. RB at this spot could also be a good pick, but as recent history has taught us, the best RBs from the draft often come outside of the first round. I don't see a QB past the lower ranked guys (Rudolph and Jackson) being very good and we don't need another "eh, maybe he'll make a decent backup" thought process with drafting a QB. Give Rudolph a full year to learn behind Ben, MAYBE two years. Then when Ben retires, turn him lose. I really think Rudolph is a better QB than Baker Mayfield and he comes with less off the field distractions as well. I would be much more comfortable with drafting a QB at 28 than settling for Landry Jones or Joshua Dobbs right now. I do think Dobbs needs more time throwing to the 1s and 2s in practice and preseason games, but if the FO thinks Landry Jones is the answer, then guys, we are in for a long long future of Steelers football.

Those are my top 3 wants I would like. Surprise picks I could see? Jessie Bates from Wake (I think we could get him at 60, or maybe trade up in the early 2nd to grab him), Josh Jackson from Iowa (I don't think he lasts past Carolina at 24) and Sony Michel from UGA (Don't think it's smart to pick RB at 28, especially if we can get the same talent at 60).

Ya know....there is a way to make sure we get the guy we want..... :-) lol
If we draft Mason Rudolph in the first round I'm going to need a new TV.

Drafting a safety in the first assumes what... that Burnett is only here for a year? Then pair Reid with Davis? I like Fitzpatrick and James as my top two safeties but Reid is a very good prospect. I kind of view him as more of a second round talent though.

Evans... wish he had more tape and did more in college. I always worry with players like that that they are workout warriors more than football players.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we draft Mason Rudolph in the first round I'm going to need a new TV.

Drafting a safety in the first assumes what... that Burnett is only here for a year? Then pair Reid with Davis? I like Fitzpatrick and James as my top two safeties but Reid is a very good prospect. I kind of view him as more of a second round talent though.

Evans... wish he had more tape and did more in college. I always worry with players like that that they are workout warriors more than football players.
I agree about no QB in the first round. Drafting a QB in the first round to sit and learn sounds good on paper but it could piss off Ben and the last thing you want is a pissed off franchise QB. Plus if you're in a win now mode like the Steelers are right now your first round pick needs to play from day 1.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if they take a RB they still keep Bell this year and run his wheels off. Work in the new guy a little so he isn't too green when he takes over next year.

Mayock had LVE dropping out of the first round all together and the Steelers passing on Guice for Michel (who I hear has bone on bone issues in his knee similar to Ajayi). He seems to be under the same impression that I am though, that the Steelers are sick and tired of Bell and his demands and are ready to move on.

If I'm at the drivers seat I'm taking a RB early but not too early. Grab an ILB in the first and then an RB in the second.

Assuming value is there.

I think Guice is definitely on the table at 28...I did watch some of Mayock's mock...I don't give it anymore credibility than any other mock, but it's interesting to get his take on players. LVE, 2nd rd?

I like Michel better than Chubb for PIT, because he's more of a cutback, and burst kind of player...similar to Freeman here in ATL...great style for a ZBS. Slightly bigger...I've heard that about his health, I don't like him at 28, but 60 I love him.

It's not the norm, but I have a feeling 4 ILBs come off the board tonight. Too many teams need a LB, I wouldn't be shocked if Evans is gone at 28.