• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread Pt2

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure this has been discussed but I'm pumped after watching Fielder's offseason work out and interview. He sure seems to be focused on being in the very best shape possible.

Best shape of his life.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a wise move - make the kids earn it.
That said, COULD YOU IMAGINE the uproar if Odor won the starting spot and Profar got sent back to AAA???
Add to this the fact that we may have been able to get Shelby Miller from the Cards for Profar...I still think we should have made this deal, if it was truly available to us...

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These Nike mens Olympic hockey sweaters are dumb. At least, USA and Canada's. Fake laces? shiny shoulder stars? (A shiny maple leaf collar for Canada, along with a stripe on just one sleeve?)

Norways look very clean, but they too have the superfluous fake laces.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add to this the fact that we may have been able to get Shelby Miller from the Cards for Profar...I still think we should have made this deal, if it was truly available to us...

If you traded Profar for Miller, then the Kinsler deal never happens.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you traded Profar for Miller, then the Kinsler deal never happens.
Probably so, but I sure would have strongly considered it regardless...but of course I can afford to be reckless given my neck is not on the line ...it's fun to play armchair quarterback!

...the Cards may have been more interested in Andrus anyway, the proven quantity...

Last edited by a moderator:

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably so, but I sure would have strongly considered it regardless...but of course I can afford to be reckless given my neck is not on the line ...it's fun to play armchair quarterback!

...the Cards may have been more interested in Andrus anyway, the proven quantity...

Seeing Elvis in a Cards jersey would have been a terrible, terrible sight.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't agree, that wouldn't been a good deal

I'm willing to bet its just baseball writers needing something to write about, much ado about nothing

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
incentives could push it to 13+M

Great thing about incentives is that they have to be earned, and if they are earning them then you have achieved value on the contract, incentives or not

I'm always in favor of incentive laden contracts

Side Note: I remember Ricky Williams' original rookie contract with the Saints it was almost completely incentive based, very low amounts were guaranteed

Then after a year into it, he started griping b/c the incentives he expected to reach weren't getting reached and he wasn't getting that extra money he was expecting to get easily

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great thing about incentives is that they have to be earned, and if they are earning them then you have achieved value on the contract, incentives or not

I'm always in favor of incentive laden contracts

Side Note: I remember Ricky Williams' original rookie contract with the Saints it was almost completely incentive based, very low amounts were guaranteed

Then after a year into it, he started griping b/c the incentives he expected to reach weren't getting reached and he wasn't getting that extra money he was expecting to get easily

Agree, those incentive laden deals are a great safeguard for the team and motivation for the player. Makes you think that there must have been some concerns about his health after all if that was his best deal.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looks like a lean, mean, homerun hitting machine!

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeter is retiring. This next year is going to be nauseating with the Jeter retirement tour. Imagine the universal love Adrian Beltre would have if he played 3rd base in NY his entire career. He would be a first ballot hall of famer and a multiple MVP winner. I love you Adrian. I hope he knows how much he is appreciated in Texas. I've never seen a guy become my favorite player so quickly.

No argument here about had he played for the Yankees, however...as you know I've been streaming the games on MLB, when the games are away, you listen to the other teams announcers, no choice. I can honestly say overall they are constantly praising Beltre. I can't recall anytime an announcer said anything remotely disrepectful, he seems kind of untouchable in that way. If he makes an error, it's usually something along the lines of "there's something you rarely see" that's about the worst I've heard. (again, from the other team's announcers) he just seems to command that type of respect for reasons we've all seen.

though that's probably of little consolation, also, on ESPN someone said something to the effect...this is pretty close if I remember
"Adrian Beltre is a one-man constant highlight reel"

I guess my point is, no of course he doesn't have Jeter's fame, but there's no question he's a highly regarded player.
I doubt Adrian Beltre is worried about having enough respect or Derek Jeter, I don't think we should either.

(that sounded like a lecture, I didn't mean it to, just my two cents...I've grown to love Beltre too, I'm guessing we all have)

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then on June 6th ... who do you throw the lifeline to if they are still without a ride? Cruz or Morales?

I don't foresee the Ranger's being willing to go that high over where they currently are on payroll for either but if I had to choose, the fan in me would pick Cruz. However, I know Morales is a much better fit for the teams needs. Cruz would still be cheaper though.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument here about had he played for the Yankees, however...as you know I've been streaming the games on MLB, when the games are away, you listen to the other teams announcers, no choice. I can honestly say overall they are constantly praising Beltre. I can't recall anytime an announcer said anything remotely disrepectful, he seems kind of untouchable in that way. If he makes an error, it's usually something along the lines of "there's something you rarely see" that's about the worst I've heard. (again, from the other team's announcers) he just seems to command that type of respect for reasons we've all seen.

though that's probably of little consolation, also, on ESPN someone said something to the effect...this is pretty close if I remember
"Adrian Beltre is a one-man constant highlight reel"

I guess my point is, no of course he doesn't have Jeter's fame, but there's no question he's a highly regarded player.
I doubt Adrian Beltre is worried about having enough respect or Derek Jeter, I don't think we should either.
(that sounded like a lecture, I didn't mean it to, just my two cents...I've grown to love Beltre too, I'm guessing we all have)

I forgot to mention, one game last year (no idea what game, but it was in the game thread here) some announcer would NOT stop gushing about how good Beltre was, I actually was chuckling a bit and I posted about it at the time, it never ended during the game.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he looks GREAT, wow

:yahoo:

For sure... looks like he has lost a ton of weight and is going into the season very motivated... I like. Beltre might be right-he might be the MVP.