• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014-2015 Offseason thread

Elginbaylor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that as well. What's the deal with the Markakis situation? He is asking for an insane amount of money or something? Don't know how big the market is for him.
Markakis' numbers are only slightly above replacement level. I doubt the Orioles would even consider giving Markakis a multi-year deal if he weren't a 'leader' and a 'fan-favorite'.
A platoon of Lough/Pierce/DeAza is better than what Markakis provides.

The money can be used to replace or retain Wieters/Chris Davis/Chen/Bud Norris next year.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm with camden post . bring back nolan and jj they both should be very cheap .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was around there from the ESPN days. The two big names that I haven't seen on here (or if they are, they have new screen names) are bs and WHG. Not that I think too many people that were from that era miss WHG. The only other one I can think of off the top of my head that I haven't seen here is BigBCherney.
bs has been around under another name something oriole :suds:

jdl5136

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea of trading Bundy & Norris for Kemp is beyond stupid in my opinion. I think Norris is a solid 3/4 starter and is proven, and Bundy is rated too high. I really hope this is really just smoke to get a deal done with Nick or some other FA.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way O's would give up that much for him and pay part of his insane contract.

Looks like the Yanks are about to sign Andrew Miller.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Markakis' numbers are only slightly above replacement level. I doubt the Orioles would even consider giving Markakis a multi-year deal if he weren't a 'leader' and a 'fan-favorite'.
A platoon of Lough/Pierce/DeAza is better than what Markakis provides.

The money can be used to replace or retain Wieters/Chris Davis/Chen/Bud Norris next year.
no way in hell would that platoon work . pearce that was his best season and was sucking at the end . seems to always have wrist issues .

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way in hell would that platoon work . pearce that was his best season and was sucking at the end . seems to always have wrist issues .

Yea plus who's going to be playing left? De Aza, Jones, Lough/pearce ehh rather have Nick, Jones, De Aza and Lough be 4th OF with Pearce DHing.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, looks like Cruz just signed a 4 year deal with the Mariners. So I wonder how true those Kemp rumors are and who they would actually want. I'd assume it'd have to be at least Gausmann or Bundy involved.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, looks like Cruz just signed a 4 year deal with the Mariners. So I wonder how true those Kemp rumors are and who they would actually want. I'd assume it'd have to be at least Gausmann or Bundy involved.

lol 4 years @ 58 million. Seattle will be sorry.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol 4 years @ 58 million. Seattle will be sorry.

He could wear an eyepatch and still significantly outhit the garbage we have had in the outfield for the past half decade.

For a team that's in the bottom 3 in all of MLB in every meaningful offensive category, "sorry" has no place in this deal.

Can't wait to see how much you all pay Markakis, or how much somebody else pays, I guess.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think Hunter is the answer. Granted, we all know Jones would be thrilled to play with Hunter for at least one year but I really don't see him as an answer to what ails us in the outfield.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it want look like it for 2 years and then you are right .

Yeah, it should be a good deal for 2015 & 2016, but they will be wanting to unload him come 2017, IMO.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bs has been around under another name something oriole :suds:

Oh okay, had no clue. I figured that WHG came here for a cup of coffee under another name and obibyn comes in every so often. I don't ever remember seeing BigBCherney here. There was another guy who's name I forget right now but he was trying to become a lawyer I remember, like Dan or something with Dan in it I believe.

Elginbaylor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Markakis OPS vs Right/Left was .751/.673
Lough/Pierce split was .749/1.109
DeAza had .766 OPS vs right in 390 at at bats.

My point is that Markakis' production can be replaced without much difficulty with internal options. With Cruz's money freed up, the Orioles can afford an upgrade like Melky Cabrera or Matt Kemp in the other outfield spot. Wieters could start up at DH coming back from surgery.

all4ripken

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Markakis OPS vs Right/Left was .751/.673
Lough/Pierce split was .749/1.109
DeAza had .766 OPS vs right in 390 at at bats.

My point is that Markakis' production can be replaced without much difficulty with internal options. With Cruz's money freed up, the Orioles can afford an upgrade like Melky Cabrera or Matt Kemp in the other outfield spot. Wieters could start up at DH coming back from surgery.

Please tell me you're not reading into that BS hype on Kemp. I think NOT signing Cruz is a clear indicator that there is no way in hell they'd take on Kemp's contact AND give up any top prospects.

Elginbaylor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please tell me you're not reading into that BS hype on Kemp. I think NOT signing Cruz is a clear indicator that there is no way in hell they'd take on Kemp's contact AND give up any top prospects.
It's true the Kemp story is just hype now. However, not signing Cruz only indicates that the Orioles are not in the business of handing out 4-year deals to 34-year-olds. Also, they don't know if Wieters can throw yet.

Right now, they have around $25 million(Cruz + Markakis money) to blow on the last outfield spot.(This is assuming DeAza returns.) I'd rather they spend to acquire above-average or star-capable players to match the Blue Jays/Red Sox than sign average players like Torii Hunter and Nick Markakis.
The hole at the cleanup spot needs to be filled.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly are we doing here? Ok, so Cruz gone and it sounds like they are willing to let Markakis sign elsewhere. How do you replace 40 HR's? Don't mention Davis because he won't hit 40 again. Cruz carried us in the 1st half last season is you remember correctly. We need to replace his bat and find 2 viable outfield players and a bonafide ace pitcher!

I don't like DD approach at this point. I'm not confident that we can match last seasons win total with teams like Boston and NY reloading once again. Let's not forget Toronto went and got Donaldson which was huge.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I don't like DD approach at this point. I'm not confident that we can match last seasons win total with teams like Boston and NY reloading once again. Let's not forget Toronto went and got Donaldson which was huge."

We're not going to sign an ace especially after all the money they gave Jimenez (unless they can get rid of him).

Yanks haven't done anything and have a ton of holes. Jays did get better with Martin and Donaldson. Sox got better hitting but still don't have pitchers as of yet. Still will probably sign one.

Will the O's use the money on signing Melky? Not to much else out there for outfield.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will the O's use the money on signing Melky? Not to much else out there for outfield.

I don't want that guy anywhere near this team. I'd much rather sign Torii Hunter for a year than deal with Melky.