• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Off Season

fear-the-penguin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's going to go:

1.) Martin
2.) Orpik
3.) Nisky

For team talent, Nisky... for cap space (and better return) Martin.

Who do you folks have?
I say get rid of Martin and Nisky. With us getting Scuds back we don't need Martin and we have plenty of talented young D to bring up that could easily replace the soft turnover machine that is Nisky. Use the money we save by getting rid of those two to get a gritty guy who isn't afraid to go to the front of the net and who can clear players from the front of our net. We are really gonna need a good enforcer too. Losing Cooke is gonna hurt, we need an agitator that gets in other teams heads.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God, not Craig Adams again. He is a decent player, but the team is so terrified of playing anyone who wasn't already a veteran or on the cup team. Yet those exact players have dissapointed 4 years in a row$ Keep on paying 34 year olds Ray, keep benching the young guys Dan, its working so well.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hoping to keep Martin and trade Nisky... so I here I go again, trying to figure this out.

Per Capgeek:

Dustin Jeffery qualifying offer will be $687,500
Robert Bortuzzo QO will be $577,500
For a Total of: 1,265,000
(I believe all others can be two-way deals)

Jussi Jokinen Caphit is 3mil... Canes on hook for 900K, therefore Pens responsible for 2.1mil (capgeek is already up to date)

Pens Current Cap Space is: $676,667.
A trade for Nisky that does not produce a player (a draft pick) will save the Pens: 2.3mil
For a total of 2,976,667 cap space.

2,976,667 - 1,265,000 = $1,711,667 cap space with 12 forwards, 7 defenseman, 2 goaltenders.

The Pens would still have room to sign another forward player (or promote from within [Harry Z, Sill, etc]) at no more 700,000 and leave them with over 1mil in cap space for in season moves.

So, after recalculating, I have no doubt that simply trading Matt Niskanen for a draft pick (or potentially a player making 700K or less plus and later rd draft pick) is the way to go. It works from a economical stand-point...

Kunitz-Sid-Dupper
Neal-Malkin-Bennett
Jokinen-Sutter-Jeffery/HarryZ/Sill/FA
Glass-Vitale-Adams
(Jeffery/HarryZ/Sill/FA)

Scuderi-Letang
Orpik-Martin
Bortuzzo-Despres
(Engelland)

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God, not Craig Adams again. He is a decent player, but the team is so terrified of playing anyone who wasn't already a veteran or on the cup team. Yet those exact players have dissapointed 4 years in a row$ Keep on paying 34 year olds Ray, keep benching the young guys Dan, its working so well.

I have no issue with Adams coming back due to the low cost.

But I agree with the bolded statement it does need to change because this team can't survive forever being the oldest team in the league (per the trade deadline roster age).
AND on that note they sign Chris Conner YET AGAIN. I didn't like him the first time around.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping to keep Martin and trade Nisky... so I here I go again, trying to figure this out.

Per Capgeek:

Dustin Jeffery qualifying offer will be $687,500
Robert Bortuzzo QO will be $577,500
For a Total of: 1,265,000
(I believe all others can be two-way deals)

Jussi Jokinen Caphit is 3mil... Canes on hook for 900K, therefore Pens responsible for 2.1mil (capgeek is already up to date)

Pens Current Cap Space is: $676,667.
A trade for Nisky that does not produce a player (a draft pick) will save the Pens: 2.3mil
For a total of 2,976,667 cap space.

2,976,667 - 1,265,000 = $1,711,667 cap space with 12 forwards, 7 defenseman, 2 goaltenders.

The Pens would still have room to sign another forward player (or promote from within [Harry Z, Sill, etc]) at no more 700,000 and leave them with over 1mil in cap space for in season moves.

So, after recalculating, I have no doubt that simply trading Matt Niskanen for a draft pick (or potentially a player making 700K or less plus and later rd draft pick) is the way to go. It works from a economical stand-point...

Kunitz-Sid-Dupper
Neal-Malkin-Bennett
Jokinen-Sutter-Jeffery/HarryZ/Sill/FA
Glass-Vitale-Adams
(Jeffery/HarryZ/Sill/FA)

Scuderi-Letang
Orpik-Martin
Bortuzzo-Despres
(Engelland)

Niskanen for a draft pick is fine with me but I would love to see Engelland packaged also, heck even for a bag of pucks. That way there would be room to give the likes of Dumoulin, Ruopp, Pouliot, Harrison and Maata a chance to play. It is back to an 82 game season there is time for at least one of them to figure it out.

There will always be players of Engelland's caliber available all season long there is no reason to start the season with his cap hit.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, according to CapGeek, Chris Connor will count against the cap.. his salary is listed with the big squad. 550K... I didn't calculate his salary into the equation... cap space is now $126,667... with 21 players signed... DJ and Bort still not resigned.

I think, instead of trying to figure this out, I'll just let the professionals who get paid to do this, do it... and I'll wait patiently to see what will happen... but a trade will happen... I wonder if DJ will be apart of a deal now...

FWIW, Engelland has a lower cap hit than all of the prospects if they are recalled...

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From Trib:

The Penguins bolstered their AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre by signing Chris Conner, Andrew Ebbett, Nick Drazenovic and Bobby Farnham to two-way contracts

So I don't know why Cap Geek has Connor listed against the Pens' cap... and I'm not sure how Harry Z'c contract will be counted... Dave Molineria lists his contract with DJ and Bortuzzo...

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Trib:

The Penguins bolstered their AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre by signing Chris Conner, Andrew Ebbett, Nick Drazenovic and Bobby Farnham to two-way contracts

So I don't know why Cap Geek has Connor listed against the Pens' cap... and I'm not sure how Harry Z'c contract will be counted... Dave Molineria lists his contract with DJ and Bortuzzo...

Not sure but since they are on two way deals unless they make the team they won't count.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, according to CapGeek, Chris Connor will count against the cap.. his salary is listed with the big squad. 550K... I didn't calculate his salary into the equation... cap space is now $126,667... with 21 players signed... DJ and Bort still not resigned.

I think, instead of trying to figure this out, I'll just let the professionals who get paid to do this, do it... and I'll wait patiently to see what will happen... but a trade will happen... I wonder if DJ will be apart of a deal now...

FWIW, Engelland has a lower cap hit than all of the prospects if they are recalled...

Oh yeah my thought was why keep the 7th d-man on the roster and use them as needed with the injury space if needed.
But for a 7th the price is right but I really don't want him playing over Bortuzzo if Niskanen is dealt.

Like the pairings you mention I would like to see Scuderi play with Despres over Letang.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niskanen for a draft pick is fine with me but I would love to see Engelland packaged also, heck even for a bag of pucks. That way there would be room to give the likes of Dumoulin, Ruopp, Pouliot, Harrison and Maata a chance to play. It is back to an 82 game season there is time for at least one of them to figure it out.

There will always be players of Engelland's caliber available all season long there is no reason to start the season with his cap hit.

I agree, trade Engelland, bring up Dumoulin. Start bringing up that pipeline ASAP, that's the strength of our team next to Sid, Geno, & Tang.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh yeah my thought was why keep the 7th d-man on the roster and use them as needed with the injury space if needed.
But for a 7th the price is right but I really don't want him playing over Bortuzzo if Niskanen is dealt.

Like the pairings you mention I would like to see Scuderi play with Despres over Letang.

I would like to see Scuds with Despres as well... but that would mean either Martin or Orpik is on the 3rd pairing... minute wise, it doesn't make sense.... I'm SURE they will be on the ice together at times though...

or Scuds is on the 3rd pairing w/ Despres...

Pretty safe bet that someone will get hurt during the season, so lines will be changed accordingly...

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree, trade Engelland, bring up Dumoulin. Start bringing up that pipeline ASAP, that's the strength of our team next to Sid, Geno, & Tang.

Dumoulin will be the first call-up I bet... he won't make the opening day roster though

Think Pouilet will go back to Jrs... still eligible... so is Maatta, it would be better for him and Harrington to continue to develop together, or better that Maatta goes back to London, and gets more minutes , learns to play with another partner, and possibly be 'the man' on the backend...

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issue with Adams coming back due to the low cost.

But I agree with the bolded statement it does need to change because this team can't survive forever being the oldest team in the league (per the trade deadline roster age).
AND on that note they sign Chris Conner YET AGAIN. I didn't like him the first time around.

I mean, I don't have a huge problem with any of the signings in a vacuum. But taken as a whole and the direction of the team is getting old with no opportunity for anyone younger.

Next up, Tanner Glass making the team over Vitale, Jeffery, etc.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me Engelland is the perfect #7, he is the cheapest player on the team, and he is never going to be better than he is right now.

Except I don't trust HCDB not to play him ahead of Despres so he has to go.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me Engelland is the perfect #7, he is the cheapest player on the team, and he is never going to be better than he is right now.

Except I don't trust HCDB not to play him ahead of Despres so he has to go.

This is exactly true...Pens are geting old and not giving their young prospects a chance to develop at he NHL level...guys like Bennett and Despres would've been way more valuable this postseason had they received a more dedicated effort in playing time during the regular season from Disco. But for whatever reaon Disco has a man crush on guys like Engelland who have already reached their ceiling and plays them. Sooner or later this will catch up in a bad way.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I don't have a huge problem with any of the signings in a vacuum. But taken as a whole and the direction of the team is getting old with no opportunity for anyone younger.

Next up, Tanner Glass making the team over Vitale, Jeffery, etc.

Oh yeah. Adams was the one that didn't bother me too much due to his role. But guys like Glass really need to take a seat to a young player.

I am glad they got rid of TK that was another that just was stale and didn't have any chance to help this team going forward. The same could be said for Cooke.

As for Dupuis and Kunitz per Shero they are the favorites of Crosby as linemates and to him he knows what you get for a lower cost vs signing a FA.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see Scuds with Despres as well... but that would mean either Martin or Orpik is on the 3rd pairing... minute wise, it doesn't make sense.... I'm SURE they will be on the ice together at times though...

or Scuds is on the 3rd pairing w/ Despres...

Pretty safe bet that someone will get hurt during the season, so lines will be changed accordingly...

Honestly anymore Orpik is not more than a 3rd pairing D-man. I would rather see Despres get top 4 minutes over him until they prove he isn't worth it.

Like others state above DB doesn't give the young players a chance and they need to because all the older players won't be there half way through Crosby/Malkin's and Letang's deals.

element I agree Engelland is a nice cheap 7th d-man but like you I am worried DB will give him starts over Despres. Anyway my thought is get rid of him leave the space there and when ready for a 7th d-man call up Dumoulin, Roupp, Harrington or Maata. Shame Pouliot can't be recalled unless there is injury cap space but depending on the 12th forward that might be the case for all of them as a recall.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess in the end, I just don't get the offseason plan. This group has failed for 4 years in a row, yet everyone is coming back, and the main addition is a guy who was already here, but is now 4 years older. What was the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result....there is no doubt now, whatever happens it's on Disco and Ray

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know the team has struggled in the playoffs in recent years ... but against Boston, 3 of 4 the games could've went either way... Pens just didn't have puck luck... Bennett nor Despres would've helped in that department... Sid, Malkin, Neal, Dupuis, Kunitz.. they had opportunities just no luck...

Remember, last year they rattled off the 2nd (or 3rd) longest winning streak in NHL HISTORY... you don't overhaul teams like that... Despres will be a starter and Bennett will be as well. Bortuzzo will see plenty of ice time... with Engelland get playing time against specific teams... even with an injury, Dumoulin (or whoever in WBS is deserving) will get more starts than Engelland....

The Pens will have Despres, Bennett, Bortuzzo, and an AHLer has the chance to capture a 3rd line winger position... that could be 4 out of 18 skaters that is part of the youth movement... that is like 22% of the roster... not too mention Neal, Sid, Geno, Sutter are 27 or younger.... the Pens will have a nice balance of old, prime and youth....

Again, you don't blow up a team that produced the 2nd/3rd longest winning streak in NHL history... you go with that squad... IMHO.

Shero has done an excellent job...

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to give your management team props for getting Scuderi back. Most of you already know what you're getting and I for one think it was something your squad missed during the playoffs especially last season. Hope he does as well for you as he played for us our here in SoCal. Maybe not so much when our Kings face your Penguins but otherwise for sure. Anyways we're going to miss him.

Ox