• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013-2014 Coyotes Offseason Thread

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You ever get out to the buck bashes? Me and my buddies get stupid drunk when they have dollar beers! I eat the shit out of those week old dollar hot dogs as well!

Lol yeah those are fucking insane. I've only gone with my girl, so I havne't been crazy, but I've see all the stupid shit that happens lol.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Dbacks can't make the playoffs this year then that leaves it up to the Yotes as our only hope. I think the Cards will be solid but we are in the toughest division in the NFL so I doubt we will make the postseason. Sad times here in AZ... thank god I'm a UofA basketball fan though. :dance:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phoenix Coyotes have signed first-round pick Max Domi to a three-year, entry-level contract.

The deal with Domi, the No. 12 pick in this year's draft, was announced on Sunday. The Toronto-born forward had 39 goals and 87 points in 64 games last season for London of the OHL.

Domi, the son of former NHL player Tie Domi, led London in goals and points and tied for first on the team in assists and plus-minus.

He also had a team-high 32 points in 21 postseason games, leading the Knights to their second consecutive OHL championship.

"Max is a very talented young player with a bright future," Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said in a statement. "He had an impressive prospect development camp and we look forward to watching his progress."

I know this happened a while ago... just thought I'd post it.

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less than 2 weeks till the season starts. DBacks are done, Suns are going to do nothing and the Cardinals play once a week. God I hope the valley gets around the team, new owners did their part, time for the fans to do theirs!

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great Yotes insider article on ESPN... I know you guys are jelly that I have this inside info.

Coyotes Blueprint to achieve long term success in the Desert:

1. Tap into corporate sponsorships

While the NHL owned the Coyotes, there wasn't a lot of motivation for businesses to invest in a relationship with a local hockey team that might be on its way out of town. That made it a challenge for people on the Coyotes' business side to bring in real revenue. "They did a good job of keeping the lights on," said co-owner Anthony LeBlanc when we chatted last week. "That was their mandate -- to keep the lights on."

That mandate has changed. LeBlanc is a natural salesman and is already coaching up his team to ramp up sales of advertising in the building, advertising on television and the selling of suites. There are 89 suites at Jobing.com Arena, and only a quarter of them have been sold the past couple of years. In the first three weeks under new ownership, 10 more were sold. That's significant, but the Coyotes still have a huge gap to erase compared to other NHL teams in comparable markets.

"If you compare the corporate dollars the Coyotes have been able to generate, as to what other nontraditional Southern franchises have, the numbers are staggeringly different," LeBlanc said. "When the instability hit, the area that was hit the most was corporate. Corporate buys are done well in advance. Nobody was committing to anything if they didn't know if the team was going to be there."

2. A new local television deal

Nobody is going to confuse the Coyotes' local television ratings with the Super Bowl, but it's a good time right now for teams to shop their television rights. Live sports are one of the few things for which consumers are still willing to pay a premium, and that has driven up the price of both national and local sports television rights. The Los Angeles Times reported that the Kings' local TV deal was worth $250 million the year they won the Stanley Cup. The Maple Leafs were purchased by Rogers and Bell in a big part to control the television rights.

Granted, the Coyotes aren't the Maple Leafs and Phoenix isn't Los Angeles, but it is the No. 13 television market in the U.S., according to Nielsen ratings, and is a bigger market than other NHL cities like Tampa, Denver, Minneapolis, St. Louis and Pittsburgh. That's a big reason a team was put there in the first place.

"Ratings have gone up a fair amount in the last few years," LeBlanc said. "Understanding we started from a lower level, but there's been a 150 percent increase in viewership last year and last year wasn't particularly a good year for the team on the ice."

3. A new food and beverage deal

One of the advantages of buying a team that went through bankruptcy is that contracts are wiped out, giving the new ownership group a clean slate. "It gives us flexibility," LeBlanc said. "The bad news is timing. The reality, on some things, you do have a time limit."

A food and beverage deal is typically a revenue-sharing model with a large company like Aramark. It's fair to say that the new deal will be more favorable for Coyotes ownership than the last one. And bankruptcy also gives the Coyotes an opportunity to reopen the discussion on naming rights, although that's currently not a priority with other deals in need of a conclusion with the season looming. "I'm not in a rush to change naming rights," LeBlanc indicated.

4. Paid parking

The parking issue in Glendale has already generated debate. Season-ticket holders have complained about now having to pay for parking to attend Coyotes games. And last week, the Arizona Republic reported that free parking in nearby parking lots in the Westgate Entertainment District exposes a flaw in the new ownership's plan to charge $10 to $30 to park in team-controlled lots.

The NFL's Arizona Cardinals also control nearby parking lots, which could cut into the Coyotes attempt to profit on parking. "That story is a little premature. There's still ongoing discussion between ourselves, the city of Glendale and the Westgate area," LeBlanc said. "Paid parking saved this franchise. It allowed us to get the deal done with Glendale."

5. Increased ticket sales

Despite the success of the Coyotes on the ice, filling the arena has been a challenge. Selling season tickets for a team that may be on the verge of moving is an all but impossible task. LeBlanc said he expects to see a 10 percent growth rate in season-ticket sales in the first season under new ownership, and he called walk-up sales massively important to the Coyotes. The location of the arena in Glendale doesn't make walk-up sales easy, as previous owners discovered.

Last season, the Coyotes were No. 29 in the NHL in attendance, averaging 13,923 per game. The previous year, when the Coyotes advanced to the Western Conference finals, they were dead last in attendance at 12,420 per game. There's momentum in the market with new ownership, and the group is counting on the Coyotes returning to their playoff level after a down year last season to drive ticket sales.

"We need the team to come out of the gate strong. That really, really helps us in selling a product," LeBlanc said. "The reality is we have a very committed fan base. They stuck through this. We have to grow that fan base."

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boedker resigned for 2 years

Mikkel Boedker Signs 2-Year Deal with the Coyotes - Five For Howling

Got him for 2 years at $2.55M AAV, not too bad. He hasn't really hit his stride yet in the league, but if they can get him playing like he did in the playoffs a few years ago, this will be a steal. I like that it's a short term contract too, so the pressure is on for him to earn his next one.

This continues a very active offseason for the Yotes, which is great. Runblad was also signed awhile back ago, so there is probable more moves coming since we have nine one way contracts on the blue nine. That's unheard of.

To think though that our future on the D lines will have OEL, Murphy, Yandle, Stone, Gormley and Rundblad is bonerific.

Yes bonerific.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great Yotes insider article on ESPN... I know you guys are jelly that I have this inside info.

Coyotes Blueprint to achieve long term success in the Desert:

1. Tap into corporate sponsorships

While the NHL owned the Coyotes, there wasn't a lot of motivation for businesses to invest in a relationship with a local hockey team that might be on its way out of town. That made it a challenge for people on the Coyotes' business side to bring in real revenue. "They did a good job of keeping the lights on," said co-owner Anthony LeBlanc when we chatted last week. "That was their mandate -- to keep the lights on."

That mandate has changed. LeBlanc is a natural salesman and is already coaching up his team to ramp up sales of advertising in the building, advertising on television and the selling of suites. There are 89 suites at Jobing.com Arena, and only a quarter of them have been sold the past couple of years. In the first three weeks under new ownership, 10 more were sold. That's significant, but the Coyotes still have a huge gap to erase compared to other NHL teams in comparable markets.

"If you compare the corporate dollars the Coyotes have been able to generate, as to what other nontraditional Southern franchises have, the numbers are staggeringly different," LeBlanc said. "When the instability hit, the area that was hit the most was corporate. Corporate buys are done well in advance. Nobody was committing to anything if they didn't know if the team was going to be there."

2. A new local television deal

Nobody is going to confuse the Coyotes' local television ratings with the Super Bowl, but it's a good time right now for teams to shop their television rights. Live sports are one of the few things for which consumers are still willing to pay a premium, and that has driven up the price of both national and local sports television rights. The Los Angeles Times reported that the Kings' local TV deal was worth $250 million the year they won the Stanley Cup. The Maple Leafs were purchased by Rogers and Bell in a big part to control the television rights.

Granted, the Coyotes aren't the Maple Leafs and Phoenix isn't Los Angeles, but it is the No. 13 television market in the U.S., according to Nielsen ratings, and is a bigger market than other NHL cities like Tampa, Denver, Minneapolis, St. Louis and Pittsburgh. That's a big reason a team was put there in the first place.

"Ratings have gone up a fair amount in the last few years," LeBlanc said. "Understanding we started from a lower level, but there's been a 150 percent increase in viewership last year and last year wasn't particularly a good year for the team on the ice."

3. A new food and beverage deal

One of the advantages of buying a team that went through bankruptcy is that contracts are wiped out, giving the new ownership group a clean slate. "It gives us flexibility," LeBlanc said. "The bad news is timing. The reality, on some things, you do have a time limit."

A food and beverage deal is typically a revenue-sharing model with a large company like Aramark. It's fair to say that the new deal will be more favorable for Coyotes ownership than the last one. And bankruptcy also gives the Coyotes an opportunity to reopen the discussion on naming rights, although that's currently not a priority with other deals in need of a conclusion with the season looming. "I'm not in a rush to change naming rights," LeBlanc indicated.

4. Paid parking

The parking issue in Glendale has already generated debate. Season-ticket holders have complained about now having to pay for parking to attend Coyotes games. And last week, the Arizona Republic reported that free parking in nearby parking lots in the Westgate Entertainment District exposes a flaw in the new ownership's plan to charge $10 to $30 to park in team-controlled lots.

The NFL's Arizona Cardinals also control nearby parking lots, which could cut into the Coyotes attempt to profit on parking. "That story is a little premature. There's still ongoing discussion between ourselves, the city of Glendale and the Westgate area," LeBlanc said. "Paid parking saved this franchise. It allowed us to get the deal done with Glendale."

5. Increased ticket sales

Despite the success of the Coyotes on the ice, filling the arena has been a challenge. Selling season tickets for a team that may be on the verge of moving is an all but impossible task. LeBlanc said he expects to see a 10 percent growth rate in season-ticket sales in the first season under new ownership, and he called walk-up sales massively important to the Coyotes. The location of the arena in Glendale doesn't make walk-up sales easy, as previous owners discovered.

Last season, the Coyotes were No. 29 in the NHL in attendance, averaging 13,923 per game. The previous year, when the Coyotes advanced to the Western Conference finals, they were dead last in attendance at 12,420 per game. There's momentum in the market with new ownership, and the group is counting on the Coyotes returning to their playoff level after a down year last season to drive ticket sales.

"We need the team to come out of the gate strong. That really, really helps us in selling a product," LeBlanc said. "The reality is we have a very committed fan base. They stuck through this. We have to grow that fan base."

Tl;dr because the author is a pompous, white collar douchebag. I am just a simple, blue collar guy. We don't understand all this confusing terminology, especially when it reads that long!

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mikkel Boedker Signs 2-Year Deal with the Coyotes - Five For Howling

Got him for 2 years at $2.55M AAV, not too bad. He hasn't really hit his stride yet in the league, but if they can get him playing like he did in the playoffs a few years ago, this will be a steal. I like that it's a short term contract too, so the pressure is on for him to earn his next one.

This continues a very active offseason for the Yotes, which is great. Runblad was also signed awhile back ago, so there is probable more moves coming since we have nine one way contracts on the blue nine. That's unheard of.

To think though that our future on the D lines will have OEL, Murphy, Yandle, Stone, Gormley and Rundblad is bonerific.

Yes bonerific.

Agreed. I love boddy and see big things for him on this team!

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonas you should totally go to the Rookie camp. Its open for free to the public and you get to see Domi, Samuelsson, Murphy, Gormley and Visentin.

Saturday, Sept. 7
2 to 3 p.m. on-ice practice
Sunday, Sept. 8
10 to 11 a.m. on-ice practice (Team A)
11:15 to 11:45 a.m. scrimmage
Noon to 1 p.m. on-ice practice (Team B)
Monday, Sept. 9
10 to 11 a.m. on-ice practice (Team B)
Noon to 1 p.m. on-ice practice (Team A)
Tuesday, Sept. 10

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonas you should totally go to the Rookie camp. Its open for free to the public and you get to see Domi, Samuelsson, Murphy, Gormley and Visentin.

Saturday, Sept. 7
2 to 3 p.m. on-ice practice
Sunday, Sept. 8
Monday, Sept. 9
10 to 11 a.m. on-ice practice (Team B)
Noon to 1 p.m. on-ice practice (Team A)
Tuesday, Sept. 10

Oh shit, that actually sounds like a good plan. I will casually leave church early to get to the stadium by 10!

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh shit, that actually sounds like a good plan. I will casually leave church early to get to the stadium by 10!

Im not even joking when I tell you I considered taking a flight to go see this shit. I have the flight miles and I reallllllly wanna see Domi.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At worst, you can watch the love feed of the scrimmage on Monday!

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biz got a 10 game regular season suspension for going after Nolan, after Nolan took out Rusty. The suspension is correct but it shows more why the Kings are the biggest douches in sports. I don't care what the fucked up NHL's department of saftey says, that hit was high. Fuck the Kings and I can't wait for Biz's first game after the suspension which is against the Queens.