• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013-2014 Coyotes Offseason Thread

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how many Yotes fans are in here but if you want to talk some hockey feel free to get some posts rolling in here. Go Yotes Go!

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly of all the AZ teams, the Yotes have the best front office / coach duo with Tippett and Don Maloney. What they were able to accomplish with all this ownership drama, is still just so unbelievable. Hopefully this new owner thing lets those 2 have at building a roster, which so far it has.

Some good stuff has happened to the Yotes this offseason:

1. New Owners and we get to stay in Phoenix -Doan's faith to get it done was proven right and the now longest tenured captain in the NHL will get to retire here.

2. Extended Tip for 5 years - One of the best coaches in the NHL, thank god he didn't leave us.

3. Extended DM - Not many GMs in any sport can build a team that goes to the conference finals with the budget constraints and ownership drama he had to go through.

4. Signed Mike Ribeiro - I'm not exactly sure if he will fit in perfectly with our roster but he has lots of skill and has played with Tip before. He was definitely one of the best players available this off season and he said Phoenix was his top choice when he wasn't resigned by the Capitals. I just hope he fixes our PP that was horrible after Ray left. He is also the first legit number 1 center we have had in what seems like forever.

5. Drafted Max Domi, Tie's son was number 1 on my list of players I wanted with that pick and it was even sweeter that days before the draft, he had dinner with DM and told his dad he wanted to play with Phoenix after. Kid might be a game changer and we already signed him. No contract dispute here. And look at his passing ability:

Really though our whole draft was a good one.

6. Guess we can throw in Resigning Mike Smith - He got over paid IMO but we need a goalie and he's the one DM and Tip like. This is more of a "In DM I trust" move, I won't question it because of the brilliant shit he has pulled off. Now its up to Smitty to prove he deserves all that money.

About the only negative this off-season is Boyd Gordon leaving. I'm gonna miss that guy, he was probably my favorite player after Doan and OEL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some draft day behind the scene videos focused on Domi. At the end of part 2 is a cool moment showing "where he wants to go" that makes us Yotes fans smile. :yahoo:

PT 1
[YOUTUBE]-H0JLlIyCP0[/YOUTUBE]

PT 2

PT 3

PT 4
[YOUTUBE]4O-MvDS_7HM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. Great breakdown and cool video links... I'm excited for this team's future.

What's your prediction for this team next year?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phoenix Coyotes don't make a habit of playing their prospects at the NHL level very early. In fact, since Dave Tippett's arrival in 2009, the club has been careful not to rush their young guys up to the big club. Even '09 first-rounder Oliver Ekman-Larsson (No. 6 overall) didn't see the ice in Phoenix until the 2010-11 campaign, and his development has gone about as smoothly and quickly as anyone could have ever hoped.

With that in mind, what chance does Max Domi have of making the NHL roster out of training camp this year? The organization loves his raw skill set, and that's certainly an attribute they cold use up front right now... if he's ready. Normally, only the top few picks seem to find their way into the NHL right out of the gate, but going No. 12 in this year's loaded crop might prove to be the equivalent of going earlier in a normal year. Plus, it was a bit of a surprise that Domi was still available at pick No. 12 (Valeri Nichushkin falling to Dallas at No. 10 may have helped). And it certainly doesn't hurt that he grew up around the pro game, thanks to his father, Tie Domi.

The Coyotes have been finding success through strong goaltending and defense first, with timely goal scoring mixed in. That philosophy won't change but, if Domi can help make plays in the attack zone, it's not inconceivable that he could force Tippett and his coaching staff to think long and hard about what to do with him in September. Ultimately, it's a good situation for both sides. The organization doesn't need to rush him up -- after all, the addition of Mike Ribeiro figures to help the offense already. And, at just 18 years of age, Domi has plenty of time to develop if he needs it.

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. Great breakdown and cool video links... I'm excited for this team's future.

What's your prediction for this team next year?

Well next year is the new division / schedule format and I am not 100% sure how that will play out.

What I can say is that means we are no longer competing against the Red Wings and Blue Jackets for a playoff spot. Instead we have the Jets in our conference. Last year there were 15 teams in our conference competing for 8 playoff spots. Now we have 14 teams competing for 8 playoff spots. Using this format for last year, we would have actually tied for a wildcard spot with the Jets (they would have had tiebreaker). So statistically speaking our odds did go up, but division play is a lot more important now and the Canucks were added to our division. That could be tough if they get their goalie thing settled.

As far as the team goes, I think we definitely got better. Not only do the players not have to deal with the ownership BS, we possibly added the best point scorer we've had under Tip, in Ribeiro. The last time we had a guy that was top 15 in points (Ray Whitney), we went to the conference finals. Last year Rib was 12th and he has more skill than Ray did when he was here. Even if Ray had an amazing career year, Rib is a lot closer to his prime years than Ray was.

The Yotes will always be a defensive team under Tip and that won't change this year. We still have one of the best defenders in the league in OEL and our youth pipeline is basically nothing but stud defensemen. When we went to the conference finals though, it was because even though we didn't score a bunch, we scored when it mattered. We were missing that playmaker that could help us do that again last year, but Rib can be that guy and get us to the playoffs. Domi could also be that player if they decide he is ready, kind of like what you posted.

A lot of our success will also be on the shoulders of Mike Smith and if he earns that contract though. Tip's system always makes goalies look better than they really are, but Smitty can't regress any further than he did last year. And if he can't get back to how he played in 2011-2012, then we are looking at anther deep playoff run.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well next year is the new division / schedule format and I am not 100% sure how that will play out.

What I can say is that means we are no longer competing against the Red Wings and Blue Jackets for a playoff spot. Instead we have the Jets in our conference. Last year there were 15 teams in our conference competing for 8 playoff spots. Now we have 14 teams competing for 8 playoff spots. Using this format for last year, we would have actually tied for a wildcard spot with the Jets (they would have had tiebreaker). So statistically speaking our odds did go up, but division play is a lot more important now and the Canucks were added to our division. That could be tough if they get their goalie thing settled.

As far as the team goes, I think we definitely got better. Not only do the players not have to deal with the ownership BS, we possibly added the best point scorer we've had under Tip, in Ribeiro. The last time we had a guy that was top 15 in points (Ray Whitney), we went to the conference finals. Last year Rib was 12th and he has more skill than Ray did when he was here. Even if Ray had an amazing career year, Rib is a lot closer to his prime years than Ray was.

The Yotes will always be a defensive team under Tip and that won't change this year. We still have one of the best defenders in the league in OEL and our youth pipeline is basically nothing but stud defensemen. When we went to the conference finals though, it was because even though we didn't score a bunch, we scored when it mattered. We were missing that playmaker that could help us do that again last year, but Rib can be that guy and get us to the playoffs. Domi could also be that player if they decide he is ready, kind of like what you posted.

A lot of our success will also be on the shoulders of Mike Smith and if he earns that contract though. Tip's system always makes goalies look better than they really are, but Smitty can't regress any further than he did last year. And if he can't get back to how he played in 2011-2012, then we are looking at anther deep playoff run.

Good shit. I'm pretty excited for this upcoming season, I'm going to try to follow hockey a lot more this year... last year I watched probably half of the games because of my work schedule during the winter I missed quite a few more than I wanted to. I just want a damn Arizona team to make the playoffs... ugh.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Tippett and don Maloney make an excellent pair! Just imagine what the could do if they had some serious financial backing! They could make this team a regular contender in 3-4 years! Geaux coyotes!

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good shit. I'm pretty excited for this upcoming season, I'm going to try to follow hockey a lot more this year... last year I watched probably half of the games because of my work schedule during the winter I missed quite a few more than I wanted to. I just want a damn Arizona team to make the playoffs... ugh.

We'll get in with the Yotes....... I honestly believe this will be a good year. There are so many reasons why I love the Coyotes more than any other team in AZ. They've made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years, under Tip, without an owner. Imagine the potential we have now.

[YOUTUBE]wQD9O-8sa3Q[/YOUTUBE]

Dave Tippett and don Maloney make an excellent pair! Just imagine what the could do if they had some serious financial backing! They could make this team a regular contender in 3-4 years! Geaux coyotes!

IMO we are already a contender for the playoffs every year with Tip, maybe even the cup.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll get in with the Yotes....... I honestly believe this will be a good year. There are so many reasons why I love the Coyotes more than any other team in AZ. They've made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years, under Tip, without an owner. Imagine the potential we have now.

[YOUTUBE]wQD9O-8sa3Q[/YOUTUBE]

IMO we are already a contender for the playoffs every year with Tip, maybe even the cup.

I was talking about the cup, dipshit! Oh my god, I am so sorry! I just saw red and blacked out! I would never talk to my bestie like that! Not after all we have been through!

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never answered my question from before, glory! Do you go to the games regularly? I was a season ticket holder but choose not to renew them due to the relocation debacle. I will probably go to at least 10-12 games this year. We should meet up at that hells bar or the cantina before a game. We can use our profile names and wear masks just so it doesn't get weird!

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only been to like 5 hockey games in my life. By far the least attended sporting event for me... but this year I'm going to try to make it to at least 5 or more games. That'll help get me more into it.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey is the best sport to attend live, hands down! You can feel the energy and the excitement in the air! Plus, it has some of the hottest women you will ever see! I remember I had a Chicago Blackhawks jacket before I could even say the word hockey!

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only been to like 5 hockey games in my life. By far the least attended sporting event for me... but this year I'm going to try to make it to at least 5 or more games. That'll help get me more into it.

You are invited as well! I am sure glory would love to show you the "ins and outs" of hockey! Winky sign!

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never answered my question from before, glory! Do you go to the games regularly? I was a season ticket holder but choose not to renew them due to the relocation debacle. I will probably go to at least 10-12 games this year. We should meet up at that hells bar or the cantina before a game. We can use our profile names and wear masks just so it doesn't get weird!

Hahahah Yah Gary I'm totally down. I'm always pre gaming it at west gate. And yeah we had season tickets for a few years before the 04 lockout. We gave them up after that and I went to college in Seattle, so i was really only able to see them on TV. After I came back, I've been going to about 15 games a year, mostly as dates with girls. (Best date idea ever btw, chicks dig going to their first game)

Do it man. Its by far the most fun sporting event in town and up to now the cheapest too.

Hockey is the best sport to attend live, hands down! You can feel the energy and the excitement in the air! Plus, it has some of the hottest women you will ever see! I remember I had a Chicago Blackhawks jacket before I could even say the word hockey!

Gary, hockey women are just god damn fine. I have been caught checking out girls there plenty of times.

Also ewwwwww to the Blackhawks.

You are invited as well! I am sure glory would love to show you the "ins and outs" of hockey! Winky sign!

Ewwwwwwww again.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been to a game since the WCF vs. the Kings in 2011 :L I've been slacking... but thank god I'll be in town more this winter/spring so I'll definitely be going to games looking for some hot hockey chicks.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was born and raised on the southside of Chicago. It was an easy conversion from the Blackhawks to the coyotes because the hawks were terrible when I was younger and the yotes had a ton of playoff teams!

Desert Glory

No not like the hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was born and raised on the southside of Chicago. It was an easy conversion from the Blackhawks to the coyotes because the hawks were terrible when I was younger and the yotes had a ton of playoff teams!

Yeah Blackhawks and Kings are my two most hated. Especially since my secondary team is the Bruins and well this Cup was not fun.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You ever get out to the buck bashes? Me and my buddies get stupid drunk when they have dollar beers! I eat the shit out of those week old dollar hot dogs as well!