• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Zeros @ Heros

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK dawg fans we all know what week it is and what's at stake.

The zero heads around here are telling you every day the game is over already so why even show up? I mean they have won 9 in a row and are ranked #2 so obviously there is no way you can win right? :rollseyes:

Well this is our board and they are coming to our house. None of their nonsense here. Just a chance to have a real sober discussion about the game. To the quacks :spy: around here. FUCK OFF. You have the rest of the board to jizz all over. You aren't welcome here.

The reality is Oregon should win this game. They are supposed to win it. They have the talent and the experience. Their program is more developed and farther ahead. This game is theirs to win or lose. Everyone understands this and no one can debate it. But is that the whole story?

You have read many reasons why everyone will pick against us this week and I doubt any of you would put up your mortgage on a bet for UW to win so what's left to discuss?

Of course UW can win this game. Underdawgs win games every week and top ranked teams drop games they shouldn't every year. This is a rivalry game and funny things can happen when emotions run high. Momentum can change and some days the ball doesn't bounce for the favored. This is college football and that's why we watch the games.

Oregon hasn't been challenged in any way this season. Not one team they have faced have shown an ounce of defense. They have a brand new HC and a brand new play caller neither of which have been called on to make clutch decisions with a game on the line. For all of the practice sessions and the jokes of a game they have played to date none of the kids have been forced to reach deep down and make plays under duress. Can they? Will they? Anyone who says they know the answer is just guessing. This isn't Chip Kelly's team and we just don't know how this team will respond. Of course there is the chance they rise up and play well, but to deny the possibility that they could end up being tight and prone to making less than ideal choices in those circumstances flies in the face of history.

If there is ever a time to catch a team you aren't expected to beat in a place where you have a chance at least it is now. UW has been tested and is building confidence. Outside of Price's bruised thumb they came out of a big game last week with ZERO injuries and the taste of a defeat they feel they shouldn't have had. They played better than Stanford on offense and defense. Their loss came down to a kicker, a fucking kicker with a bad back. :L That's not going to make them feel like they are over matched this game. Their drive and determination will never be stronger. The combination of UW already being battle tested and finding their rhythm over Oregon's scrimmage a week season has as much edge as you can get UW's way. A home game in the brand new stadium with CGD on campus and a city ready to get behind any and every big play they complete. They have as much of those intangibles as they can.

Still, it will take UW playing their A game and Oregon not quite on for the upset. The Huskies have been way too prone to self destructing penalties in every game except the hapless Idaho State team. They haven't been giving up turnovers, but they cannot win this game with the lack of discipline while playing hard that has followed them not just this year, but several now.

Offense: Price showed a lot last game and he has me believing what we have seen so far this year is for real. He will have to continue to battle and make smart decisions when the pocket collapses and the play is busted. We have heard their fans talk about how their defense practices against the uptempo all the time and won't be phased by anything UW throws at them, but even their HC disagrees. First of all their 1's normally practice against a scout team comprised of a similar style of offense that they are going to play. UW does the same thing. Undoubtedly each have been putting their 1's on both sides against each other all week, but mince no words here, they don't face that uptempo in practice as much as you think. In a radio interview this week their coach said they can't simulate Sankey's running and they have no equivalent to ASJ or KW. I'm not saying that, their coach is. They have athletes that are like Ross and Mickens, but UW's spread pro style play set isn't something their offensive 1's can give justice to. There will be opportunities for big plays and UW will score. Can they score enough to keep up with Oregon? We will see.

Defense: UW has played with the philosophy of forcing the other team to earn all of their points. They have given up yards in favor of limiting explosive plays. Their mind set has been to keep it in front of them and rally to the ball with solid tackling and eye discipline to stay in their assignments and so far it has worked out quite well. Sure, Stanford got over 30 points last week, but nearly half of that was on the special teams and not on the defense. Arizona? Carey got quite a few yards for the game, but only one play over 13y for the whole night. Stanford? The run game wasn't working well for them either. While they have also limited most big plays in the passing game they have given up a couple of big plays with one memorable blown coverage by Ducre in the Illnois game. Still, nothing they have seen nor practiced is at the speed of what Oregon does. Can they still own the edge and force Oregon inside like they have everyone else? Probably not all night, but maybe enough to keep their score from some of those video game numbers they have put up on the garbage they have played so far.

Special teams: We know the problems they had last week. It appears the blown assignments on coverage were a veteran player, but they have played a lot of young kids on all special teams units so far and that changes this week. Names like Shaq Thompson will be on those units. This is too big of a game to not have your best players doing what they must. So the obvious questions are who is doing the kick offs and how will their coverage units perform when many haven't been on those units all year already? They better have answers here and be solid. Mistakes here and they have no chance.

I could spend yet another 500 words on what Oregon does and how well they do it, but that information is all over. Despite everything above Oregon is still Oregon and should be expected to win. All I've done is outline why there is still a chance and what will be involved in any scenario where UW comes out with a win.

What do I think will likely happen in the game? I do believe UW has made huge strides forward in the program and is the strongest team they have put on the field in a decade, but Oregon is years ahead in their development and are in the kind of recruiting cycle and talent level UW was in the early 90's. I have no faith that UW can limit the penalties to where they would need to be to win this, but I don't think they will get steam rolled either. I expect the final score to be closer than their fans and will pick something like 38-32 Oregon. Obviously this is one final score I hope I'm on the wrong side of.

If you are coming to the game bring it. There will be a lot of ducks in the crowd and we need to drown them out and shut them down. If we are to lose then make it such that their fans know everything was left out on the field and in the stands and they had to earn it. If we win we need to chase their loud mouthed arrogant cocky lame ass fans right out of the state. They won't like what happens if UW wins so go out there and do what you can to help the team reach that point.

Go Dawgs.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck Oregon. Biggest gaggle of doooshbag fans in all of college football.

The program however is awesome. :lol:

As you said, Oregon should win. But they arent going to. Sark has an experienced team and Oregons flash isnt going to scare them. He has the team playing at a high level.

Sark has to get a big win one of these days, may as well be Saturday.

duckberg 30
UW 32

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just found out yesterday that the government shutdown was, in fact, going to cancel my Navy Reserve Drill Weekend, so I now get to go to the game... hooray for incompetent government :yahoo::noidea:

GO DAWGS!!!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IB, the problem for UW is the overall speed of the athletes Oregon has. I'm sure Wilcox will do a far better job than any defense the ducks have faced and preventing the explosive plays and limiting the damage of the others, but you won't stop them every play. All they need is one missed tackle or one blown assignment and it's 6 points. So the question is can UW not shoot themselves in the foot with just stupid penalties and can they make the adjustments and plays to keep up with whatever the ducks do score?

UW has talent and experience, but not Oregon speed and their experience is far greater than what UW has.

Our best chance is those intangibles and the question of what Oregon will do if put in a pressure situation. The last time they were under pressure they lose to Stanford at home. The ducks simply don't play from behind or in clutch situations very often so when they do find some there is a question about how they will handle it. Mariota is 0-1 when in a tough game and this will be a whole different environment to do better in. Still, UW has to be solid all game in all 3 phases to have that chance.

I do believe if the game is close down the stretch the advantage goes way up in UW's favor. Question is, can they survive long enough to get there?

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our best chance is those intangibles

Yep. That's exactly how I feel. Every intangible imaginable needs to be in UW favor. We need every bounce to go our way so to speak.

I think if we don't kill ourselves with penalties and can jump on Oregon early it could turn out a win at the end of the day.

UW and Sark have really impressed me this year, they've succeeded in all the tests I've personally held them to as a fan. Held homefield and crushed a quality opponent to open the season, won a road game against a not horrible Illinois, beat a pac team that we should have beaten. During all of that we've managed to stay healthy. I havent heard anything about Price's finger, so I guess it's fine. One last task remains for the season, and that is for Sark to get a signature win.

You told me to get on the bus, I'm on man! :yahoo:

A lot needs to happen. I think it does. :suds:

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon is the superior team as far as talent goes, but the Huskies do have a few things working in their favor. It's Oregon's first game against a team worth a shit, and the Huskies get this one at home in the new stadium. Kind of reminds me when Stanford had their first real test at CenturyLink last year and that didn't go so well for them. The Huskies are gonna have to play damn near perfect to have a chance at this one and even then it may not be enough. But I'm looking forward to this one and believe this is the best chance the Huskies have had to beat Oregon in a long time. I hope they play well. The last time Oregon played in Seattle, the game was pretty sloppy on both sides.

I'm not even gonna bother reading/posting in the thread on the CFB board. Too much stupid from the Oregon side.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one does stupid quite like the Oregon gang. They have a few posters that had to be short bus riders most of their lives. :clap:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Special teams, special teams.....

If they can get punt and kickoff deep and covered, pushing the Quacks further back, its gonna be a great game, I believe the offense will have success against the Ducks D. I don't want to see a shoot out, the defense needs to come up with some three and outs, pressure needs to be applied to that over hyped QB and they must contain his arse......

28- 27 Dawgs.....

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee Corso downtown... dude's short:

qzm79i.jpg

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No colt lyerla and best guess from several near the program is no DAT. Can you hear the excuses already if UW finds a way to win?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is the best in a decade. I think we got all the tools to beat the Ducks right now. It's at our house. We have the D to stop them. We can take this one.

Go Dawgs!!!

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck Oregon. Biggest gaggle of doooshbag fans in all of college football.

The program however is awesome. :lol:

As you said, Oregon should win. But they arent going to. Sark has an experienced team and Oregons flash isnt going to scare them. He has the team playing at a high level.

Sark has to get a big win one of these days, may as well be Saturday.

duckberg 30
UW 32

Don't give those assholes credit. Let's just stick with Fuck oregon. Fuck them so much...

Go Dawgs!

31-21. :yahoo:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't give those assholes credit.

31-21.

I should know better. The last time I gave them credit I got told to STFU by ducklings!

dooooooooooshbags!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta give some props to Sankey for another really great day at the office. Outside of him all of the rest of your props have to go out to Oregon and their players.

Mariota is a Heisman candidate for a reason. He had an outstanding day, but man UW made it kind of easy for him. If I have to blame the loss on any one unit it was the defense for sure. Pass rush much? You can't leave a QB that good in the pocket with lots of time and expect to win. They did a pretty good job of stopping the run, albeit a running game without DAT, but still. Outside of that the secondary left kids wide open much of the game.

You also can't go -2 in takeaways against a team that good and win.

Give credit where it is due. Oregon had an effective pass rush and didn't give up a lot of deep passes. Their coverage players had a pretty good day. The only thing their defense wasn't perfect on was their run defense, but Sankey is a one of a kind. Mariota had a fantastic day and he had receivers getting open all over the place. UW's coverage was bad, but they had 3 receivers all with big days and they were doing a great job of running routes and just plain old using speed to get open.

Only other thing to add was it was nice to see them not committing a lot of penalties. I believe they had just 1 defensive penalty and no offensive ones going into the 4th quarter. They ended up adding a couple more late, but it was one of their better days in that stat.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'm disgusted at was the almost complete lack of involvement by ASJ, Williams, and the rest of the WR corps. There was no rain today. It's not like the Zona game were the weather cancelled out the pass attack. We threw the ball well against Furd. All I saw for the most part was Sankey and Price runs. We were at home for godsakes. Where the hell was the passing?

We played way to conservative on offense. Which backfired and kept our D out on the field way too much.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta give some props to Sankey for another really great day at the office. Outside of him all of the rest of your props have to go out to Oregon and their players.

Mariota is a Heisman candidate for a reason. He had an outstanding day, but man UW made it kind of easy for him. If I have to blame the loss on any one unit it was the defense for sure. Pass rush much? You can't leave a QB that good in the pocket with lots of time and expect to win. They did a pretty good job of stopping the run, albeit a running game without DAT, but still. Outside of that the secondary left kids wide open much of the game.

You also can't go -2 in takeaways against a team that good and win.

Give credit where it is due. Oregon had an effective pass rush and didn't give up a lot of deep passes. Their coverage players had a pretty good day. The only thing their defense wasn't perfect on was their run defense, but Sankey is a one of a kind. Mariota had a fantastic day and he had receivers getting open all over the place. UW's coverage was bad, but they had 3 receivers all with big days and they were doing a great job of running routes and just plain old using speed to get open.

Only other thing to add was it was nice to see them not committing a lot of penalties. I believe they had just 1 defensive penalty and no offensive ones going into the 4th quarter. They ended up adding a couple more late, but it was one of their better days in that stat.

I'm going the other way and my finger is pointing at the QB. Sure he "managed" the game, but in games like this when your defense hands you a three and out, that is the time to put points on the board.Your not gonna keep Oregon out of the endzone, and the offense (Sankey & OL did there part in the running game)......

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'm disgusted at was the almost complete lack of involvement by ASJ, Williams, and the rest of the WR corps. There was no rain today. It's not like the Zona game were the weather cancelled out the pass attack. We threw the ball well against Furd. All I saw for the most part was Sankey and Price runs. We were at home for godsakes. Where the hell was the passing?

We played way to conservative on offense. Which backfired and kept our D out on the field way too much.

Were you at the game? Always a different vantage when you aren't limited by what the TV folks show you. From what I saw the receivers were well covered much of the afternoon. Price had to scramble and throw the ball away quite a few times and it was due to coverage more than pressure. I don't think Price was stellar, but at some point you have to credit the defense for playing well.

As for ASJ and KW, neither have been big in any of the games this season. As I asked in the thread about him I'm just at a loss for where ASJ is in terms of the passing game. Maybe the uptempo offense doesn't suit his passing game. They do need to find a way to involve both of them more in the coming weeks if they want to beat some of these tough road games yet to come.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you at the game? Always a different vantage when you aren't limited by what the TV folks show you. From what I saw the receivers were well covered much of the afternoon. Price had to scramble and throw the ball away quite a few times and it was due to coverage more than pressure. I don't think Price was stellar, but at some point you have to credit the defense for playing well.

As for ASJ and KW, neither have been big in any of the games this season. As I asked in the thread about him I'm just at a loss for where ASJ is in terms of the passing game. Maybe the uptempo offense doesn't suit his passing game. They do need to find a way to involve both of them more in the coming weeks if they want to beat some of these tough road games yet to come.

Your right TV doesn't show the whole field, but it does show you the QB and at times he (Price) looked like he was looking for the "homerun" pass way to much. I pointed out that Price to me didn't take it to the next level, maybe it should be on the play calling, for the life of me I cant understand as to why they didnt try short and sweet stuff, and ASJ??? Why wouldn't you try and exploit a very big target in the middle of the field?

Sure the defense can take a lot of heat for this loss, but when your on the field alot sooner or later your gonna get tired, Dawgs O missed out on a game changer in the first half, when the D was getting 3 and out, they could have really change the Ducks thought process in that 1st half if they would've put more points up .....

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I said the Huskies were going to have to play just about perfect to have a chance to win this game and they didn't. IMO this game was lost in the 2nd quarter when the Huskies offense couldn't put up any points. Ever since Chip Kelly took over in 2009, the common thread in every Oregon loss is that the team that beat them never fell behind by more than 7 points. Having to play catch up with Oregon is not a recipe for beating them. Obviously there are other things you can point to as well. A couple bad turnovers and the defense not being able to come up with the big stop in the 2nd half. But that steep slope you end up on when you fall behind Oregon is exactly what they want. You can't let that happen.

Time to look forward. The Huskies weren't able to end the losing streak against Oregon, but it is time for them to put an end to the losing streak against the Sun Devils. Gotta get a win in Tempe next weekend.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price was running for his life most of the game. Looked like the o-line of last year as far as pass blocking goes.

I'm not putting this on him too much. When Price has time he will hurt you. He didn't vs Oregon.