• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why are the Pirates being so quiet?

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the points I've read in this discussion make some sense to me..... even some which seem to be mutually exclusive, or at least in conflict.

The discussion leads me to an increasingly clear perception that the Pirates are in a tough position indeed, exacerbated by the losing streak. In the past, we've talked about how some younger Pirate fans haven't experienced a winning season EVER, let alone a championship..... and that's sad.

It just struck me that something similar is true for major league players. The Pirates have been a losing franchise since most of them were teenagers..... or younger school children..... or even pre-schoolers. Very few people (except for die-hards like the denizens of this board) voluntarily associate themselves with perpetual losers..... the the players see the Pirates as perpetual losers.

[COMMENCE RANT] :rant:
I've come to the conclusion that Pirate management MUST take action to end the losing streak. They MUST improve the major league team..... and they MUST do it now. They MUST produce results as soon as possible. They MUST change the perception of the fans, but more importantly, they MUST change the perception of the PLAYERS. The longer the streak goes on, the worse and the harder it gets!

The ONLY action I've seen this offseason which gives me a little confidence is the acquisition of Eric Bedard. And that confidence is fragile, commensurate with Bedard's fragility. Bringing in guys like Barmes, Barajas, and McGehee just doesn't inspire confidence in ANYTHING..... except our maintaining the status quo (and we all know the status quo ain't good).

Huntington and company need to do SOMETHING. And it's their job to figure out which specific something or somethings they need to do. Failure to do something, the RIGHT something, should cost them their jobs!

:lm:

[/RANT]

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roy Oswalt can go fuck himself in that case; huge difference between only signing with the Pirates for an overpayment, and not even answering calls.

Exactly!

Anyway like stated the Pirates are in a bad situation if no one wants to sign here but the FO has only itself to blame. Yes it might have been prior folks in charge that caused it but they need to find a solution.
So far if Barmes is the best they can do, they better hope this team wins. If not this will last a lot longer, hence this past year they actually played well early and still can't get takers.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the points I've read in this discussion make some sense to me..... even some which seem to be mutually exclusive, or at least in conflict.

The discussion leads me to an increasingly clear perception that the Pirates are in a tough position indeed, exacerbated by the losing streak. In the past, we've talked about how some younger Pirate fans haven't experienced a winning season EVER, let alone a championship..... and that's sad.

It just struck me that something similar is true for major league players. The Pirates have been a losing franchise since most of them were teenagers..... or younger school children..... or even pre-schoolers. Very few people (except for die-hards like the denizens of this board) voluntarily associate themselves with perpetual losers..... the the players see the Pirates as perpetual losers.

[COMMENCE RANT] :rant:
I've come to the conclusion that Pirate management MUST take action to end the losing streak. They MUST improve the major league team..... and they MUST do it now. They MUST produce results as soon as possible. They MUST change the perception of the fans, but more importantly, they MUST change the perception of the PLAYERS. The longer the streak goes on, the worse and the harder it gets!

The ONLY action I've seen this offseason which gives me a little confidence is the acquisition of Eric Bedard. And that confidence is fragile, commensurate with Bedard's fragility. Bringing in guys like Barmes, Barajas, and McGehee just doesn't inspire confidence in ANYTHING..... except our maintaining the status quo (and we all know the status quo ain't good).

Huntington and company need to do SOMETHING. And it's their job to figure out which specific something or somethings they need to do. Failure to do something, the RIGHT something, should cost them their jobs!

:lm:

[/RANT]

As a Ranger fan, I know all about being a fan of a long time loser, heck as a Mavs fan too. Just makes it all that much more sweet when your team finally gets relevant again and you can proudly say "I was there when we sucked" LOL

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Leads me to wonder if the Pirates can actually have any recourse in this situation. If we are in fact offering good deals, possibly even the best deals available and getting rebuffed, isn't that possibly some form of collussion on the players?

Probably not, and in all honesty, do you really want to persue it and have someone be forced into playing for your organization?

The only 2 ways out of this are severe overpayment of players, or through the minor league system, and neither one is necessarily a guarentee for success.