• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's brewing??

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the only kit out there that i've seen that is currently on my wishlist is the 115th Dream Hopbursted IPA from NB...i've been wanting to do that one forever and havent gotten around to it....after i brew these two that i just ordered ingredients for, i will get that one i think

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna get back into the game. I'm not with La Cumbre anymore. They weren't big enough to keep me. That's okay. Working in a brewery is decent, but the money and bennies suck. Unless you're the owner. And your brewery makes 10,000 barrels a year.

Anyway, the next batch I do is going to be a dry stout, that I modeled after Guinness Draught. I personally don't like dry stouts, but my wife does, so this one will be for her.

After that, I'm focusing on creating my ideal German Pilsner. German Pilsners are really all I drink these days. I'll come up with some American Pales, and American IPA's, but those will just be for "showoff" factor.

Last edited by a moderator:

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think the only kit out there that i've seen that is currently on my wishlist is the 115th Dream Hopbursted IPA from NB...i've been wanting to do that one forever and havent gotten around to it....after i brew these two that i just ordered ingredients for, i will get that one i think

I want to brew that one also. They also have one out now that is a cross between a Belgian Triple and an IPA that I would like to brew. But I am no where near comfortable with my brewing to shell out that kind of cash. I'll stick with the inexpensive stuff for now. The reason I want to do the porter is because it sounds a lot like the Three Floyds Alpha Klaus, and that is a very good porter.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gonna get back into the game. I'm not with La Cumbre anymore. They weren't big enough to keep me. That's okay. Working in a brewery is decent, but the money and bennies suck. Unless you're the owner. And your brewery makes 10,000 barrels a year.

Anyway, the next batch I do is going to be a dry stout, that I modeled after Guinness Draught. I personally don't like dry stouts, but my wife does, so this one will be for her.

After that, I'm focusing on creating my ideal German Pilsner. German Pilsners are really all I drink these days. I'll come up with some American Pales, and American IPA's, but those will just be for "showoff" factor.

If you don't mind answering a question or two I have some for you. Actually if anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it. I have a homebrewed IPA at home that is awesome, except when I belch it tastes like rubber. I don't get it when I drink it, just after a burp, what could be the cause of that?
For the yeast I used for my California Common it say it works best between 52 and 58.6F, is there any way to know with any certainty at what temp it starts giving off esters that would be overtly noticible in the beer? The kit has a really high bittering rate for the style, so is that in part to cover up the possibility of esters? The yeast data sheet says it works well between 50 and 71, not sure if that would help or not.
Anyway if you feel like answering then thank you, if not I understand.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i have learned that i should not brew batches that my gf likes, but i am not a big fan of. it always ends up she has a couple of glasses to start, says its really good....then doesnt touch it, leaving it all for me...then when the keg is just about empty she decides she wants some, and complains that i drank it all

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to brew that one also. They also have one out now that is a cross between a Belgian Triple and an IPA that I would like to brew. But I am no where near comfortable with my brewing to shell out that kind of cash. I'll stick with the inexpensive stuff for now. The reason I want to do the porter is because it sounds a lot like the Three Floyds Alpha Klaus, and that is a very good porter.

What is that one called, do you remember? I did a kit a little while back (i think it was from NB) that was called Headscratcher IPW "India Pale Weizen", a bit odd, but i thought it was a very good beer

How many batches do you have under your belt now? As long as you sanitize, and follow directions, I think you should have no worries about doing one of the pricier kits

remember- Relax, don't worry, have a hombrew

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:

Got the IPA (DFH60 Clone) off the yeast last weekend (after 23 days in the primary). It had some smells during the first and even a bit later towards the end of fermentation (new yeast). That has started to die off now. Transferred it in the secondary for dry hopping. Going with some Amarillo, Simcoe, and Glacier this weekend. May let it DH for 2 weeks before bottling.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What is that one called, do you remember? I did a kit a little while back (i think it was from NB) that was called Headscratcher IPW "India Pale Weizen", a bit odd, but i thought it was a very good beer

How many batches do you have under your belt now? As long as you sanitize, and follow directions, I think you should have no worries about doing one of the pricier kits

The kit is called "Houblomonstre Tripel IPA" extract kit. The California Common was my second brew, it went much better than the first batch, but still don't feel comfortable shelling out $50 or more for a kit I am not sure I will like.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't mind answering a question or two I have some for you. Actually if anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it. I have a homebrewed IPA at home that is awesome, except when I belch it tastes like rubber. I don't get it when I drink it, just after a burp, what could be the cause of that?
For the yeast I used for my California Common it say it works best between 52 and 58.6F, is there any way to know with any certainty at what temp it starts giving off esters that would be overtly noticible in the beer? The kit has a really high bittering rate for the style, so is that in part to cover up the possibility of esters? The yeast data sheet says it works well between 50 and 71, not sure if that would help or not.
Anyway if you feel like answering then thank you, if not I understand.

I'd stay right in the middle of that range. Ester creation, and acetaldehyde production (green apple flavor; think green jolly ranchers) are possible around 60 degrees for that strain. I definitely wouldn't push it up to 71 if you can avoid it.

As for the rubber aftertaste, I can't say for certain without tasting it myself. That could be any number of issues. Sorry for the copout on this one, but it's nearly impossible to diagnose a problem like that without tasting first hand, and I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have learned that i should not brew batches that my gf likes, but i am not a big fan of. it always ends up she has a couple of glasses to start, says its really good....then doesnt touch it, leaving it all for me...then when the keg is just about empty she decides she wants some, and complains that i drank it all

I hear ya, but I've got plenty of keg space to work around.

euroasia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to taste the best Lager in the world, try Svijany from north region of Czech. Established in 1564, Svijany is one of the oldest Czech breweries.
Incredible beer! :)

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd stay right in the middle of that range. Ester creation, and acetaldehyde production (green apple flavor; think green jolly ranchers) are possible around 60 degrees for that strain. I definitely wouldn't push it up to 71 if you can avoid it.

As for the rubber aftertaste, I can't say for certain without tasting it myself. That could be any number of issues. Sorry for the copout on this one, but it's nearly impossible to diagnose a problem like that without tasting first hand, and I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase.

I have been sitting 59-60. Started at 61 for about 24 hours but then the temp outside dropped below freezing and my basement temp dropped. I could actually get it down to about 55 by taking it off of the rug and puttting it on a concrete floor and removing the 5 blankets I have around it, but I am susspecting with a bitterness of 59 IBU's a little ester isn't going to hurt and with the temp I am holding esters may not even be an issue.

The IPA isn't mine it was made by a friend I was just wondering if there was a simple explanatioon for the aftertaste. It isn't offputting, just noticible.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just started the boil on the Irish red ale kit I got from northern brewer. Should be ready to go for St Patrick day. Will bottle my bourbon barrel beer I started two months ago next weekend and let condition for a few more months in the bottle. Decided to let it bottle condition rather than suit in the carboy the full time because I think it would be difficult to carbonate after waiting that long since I don't have a keg setup.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree I have been told it could be yeast, the equipment not cleaned (or a scratch) all the way to the water quality.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The California Common has been on yeast for 15 days now and all the sudden I get a wild hair up my ass and decide I want to lager it. Actually the temp is supposed to be just above freezing for the next 8 days so it works out perfectly for lagering. Should I leave it on the yeast for the amount of time I will lager for or should I transfer. I am thinking transfer, but I know there was a discussion about that on here, I just can't find it.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your ferment should be done before this happens (and 14 days is not accurate). If you're in the same fermenter for 36 days, then this is an issue. 14 to 20days shouldn't be a problem.

I have only lagered a couple times but I would transfer it off the yeast. How long do you plan to lager? 4-6 weeks? What temp?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have only lagered a couple times but I would transfer it off the yeast. How long do you plan to lager? 4-6 weeks? What temp?

Changed my plans, the weather is now expected to be below freezing and I was just going to sit it in my garage. I don't have any temp control equipment so lagering is pretty much out. Going to bottle on friday and then age for 4-5 weeks @ 55F that is where my basement is currently sitting. I was planning on lagering as long as I could at just above freezing, right now that is probably until mid-March or close to April in my area.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bottled the CC tonight. Put 96oz into a growler and the rest into bottle. Final gravity was 1.004, much lower than expected. ABV should be 6.05, so it is at the upper end of the CC spectrum. I tasted the FG sample and it was good. I am super excited for this one to finish conditioning. This one is going to be good. The Caribou Slobber mistake that I made is turningout to be very good. I get chocolate, coffee and just an abundance of flavor, no hops, but they shouldn't noticible anyway. Although I still think I screwed that one up, it is darn tasty.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any of you gents brewed in your garage before?

I've always done my all grain batches outdoors, tomorrow is supposed to be a brew day, but just checked the forecast...rain and/or snow all day:gaah:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nevermind folks, i just remembered my office is closed monday, so I am going to push brew day back to sunday (i like to booze whilst i brewz :D)