• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's brewing??

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, my brew marathon ^^^ didn't turn out all that well. I think some sort of bacteria was in the racking tube or something. I have bacteria in all of my beer. Amazingly, it still smells pretty good. I have done alot of reading on it and I don't think there is much harm in trying it. Rather than dump 20 gallons of beer, going to bottle it and give it a go...

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, my brew marathon ^^^ didn't turn out all that well. I think some sort of bacteria was in the racking tube or something. I have bacteria in all of my beer. Amazingly, it still smells pretty good. I have done alot of reading on it and I don't think there is much harm in trying it. Rather than dump 20 gallons of beer, going to bottle it and give it a go...

best of luck, I eneded up having to dump my one infected batch a while back, it was sad

this weekend, hopefully I'll be brewing an imperial IPA, 4oz of cascade, 2 oz Summit and dry hopped with 4oz Cascade

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
best of luck, I eneded up having to dump my one infected batch a while back, it was sad

this weekend, hopefully I'll be brewing an imperial IPA, 4oz of cascade, 2 oz Summit and dry hopped with 4oz Cascade

Sounds like the Northern Brewer Cascade Mountain IIPA. If it is it is awesome.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I brewed 2 days ago. Started with a Chinook IPA extract kit from NB. Added 3.15 lbs of Marris Otter extract. Also completely changed the hop schedule.

1oz Chinook @60
1oz Mosaic @20
1oz Amarillo @15
1oz Chinook @15
1oz Mosaic @10
1oz Amarillo @10
1oz Chinook @5
1oz Mosaic @5

I have 1 oz Chinook and 2 oz Mosaic for dry hopping, but I don't think I'll need it. Smells outstanding coming out of the air lock.

I am not sure I had enough IBU' s though. My brewing app said I would have an OG of 1.060, ended up having 1.079. I have no idea why it was so far off. My schedule had me with 69 IBU's, but I am sure with the added sugars I will probably be closer to 55. So not enough IBU's for an IIPA, and to much sugars for a regular IPA. Whatever, if the flavor comes off the way I want I could care less what it classified as.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the Northern Brewer Cascade Mountain IIPA. If it is it is awesome.

indeed it is...I got an email a week or so ago for an offer if you buy that kit, you got a free "Every Ounce Counts" growler...I was sold

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an amber in the primary, a hefe and baltic porter in the secondary, a red IPA, a cream ale, and stout bottled...

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottled up all of my beer this weekend (6 cases)...and dammit, Santa better bring me some kegging equipment this year. The Amarillo WPA smelled fantastic, no hint of infection..think its gonna make it. The Red Rye had a little bit of melanoidin added and the recipe also called for Special B AND C120. It smells very raisonous...like a Strong Belgian. Much more than I thought it would be. There was a little acetonish smell still when I transferred to bottle...we'll see if this one makes it.

In other news, my LHBS had some "Down Under hops"..never used them, supply was sparse, couldn't resist.

I picked up 2 oz each of Galaxy, Pacifica, and Topaz..1 oz each of Ella and Green Bullet. They didn't have Nelson or Motueka..which I am also very interested in. :pout: Thinking of making an Oceania IPA/IIPA but not sure how to use the hops. After research, thinking of the GB for bittering, Topaz for flavoring, Ella, Galaxy. & Pacifica for aroma, and Galaxy and Pacifica for dry hop. If anyone has used these hops, any advice would be greatly appreciated. :suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottled up all of my beer this weekend (6 cases)...and dammit, Santa better bring me some kegging equipment this year. The Amarillo WPA smelled fantastic, no hint of infection..think its gonna make it. The Red Rye had a little bit of melanoidin added and the recipe also called for Special B AND C120. It smells very raisonous...like a Strong Belgian. Much more than I thought it would be. There was a little acetonish smell still when I transferred to bottle...we'll see if this one makes it.

In other news, my LHBS had some "Down Under hops"..never used them, supply was sparse, couldn't resist.

I picked up 2 oz each of Galaxy, Pacifica, and Topaz..1 oz each of Ella and Green Bullet. They didn't have Nelson or Motueka..which I am also very interested in. :pout: Thinking of making an Oceania IPA/IIPA but not sure how to use the hops. After research, thinking of the GB for bittering, Topaz for flavoring, Ella, Galaxy. & Pacifica for aroma, and Galaxy and Pacifica for dry hop. If anyone has used these hops, any advice would be greatly appreciated. :suds:

I did an IPA with New Zealand hops a little while ago, turned out very good

mine was:

.5oz Pacific Jade (60 min)
1oz Hallertau (10min)
.5oz Pacific Jade (10min)
1oz Super Alpha (10min)

dry hopped with another ounce of each

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
when you brewed this, did you do a yeast starter?

No I used US05 dry 2 packs then a half pack when i bottled. The only thing I noticed with the extract kit was that the late addition sugar made the beer sweet until it aged. It was still bitter but the sweetness was still strong. Made it an absolutely wonderful beer to drink even though it fermented out to almost 9%. However as it aged a little the sugar sweetness faded and it became a hop bomb.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did a gravity reading today on my IIPA. Reading today was 1.012. That gives me an abv of 8.4%. Has a lot of aroma and flavor in the sample tube. Going to give it a couple more days and bottle. Not going to dry hop this one I don't think I need it.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I used US05 dry 2 packs then a half pack when i bottled. The only thing I noticed with the extract kit was that the late addition sugar made the beer sweet until it aged. It was still bitter but the sweetness was still strong. Made it an absolutely wonderful beer to drink even though it fermented out to almost 9%. However as it aged a little the sugar sweetness faded and it became a hop bomb.

this is what I like to hear:D

I went with the wyeast slap pack for it, hoping to brew this weekend, wasn't able to this past one

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's up guys? Been a long time. Been homebrewing again recently. Upgraded the system. Now running a 20G brewhouse with march pumps. If you've never brewed with pumps, buy them. They take so much work out of the day, and cut your all-grain brew day in half.

I have an Irish Dry Stout in the fermenter at the moment. I've got remnants of the last batch of IDS in a keg, but I needed to tweak the recipe a bit. Too roasty, not smooth enough. I've also got a single-hop American Pale Ale (Amarillo) and a Belgian Pale in the kegerator. The Pale Ale was designed to be a session beer, so it's small in ABV, but it doesn't lack for hop aroma/flavor. The Belgian Pale just finished carbonating tonight, and it's quite good. I don't really drink Belgians much anymore, because the yeast strains seem to leave me with terrible hangovers, but I'm pretty happy with the results on this recipe.

Itching for it to get cooler. I want to start brewing pilsners, but I currently lack the temperature control for that endeavor.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
finally got my Imperial IPA done last night, did the yeast starter Saturday, and pitched it at about 8:45last night. Bubbling nicely this morning:D

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cracked open a couple of my Amarillo Wheat beers over the weekend and I am very happy with it. It is still quite hazy (guess it may stay that way with about 40% red wheat) but tastes clean and not too overpowering with about 35IBUs. Gonna give most of it another week at room temp and another week or so in the fridge..I do have a sixer on chill for the VT game this weekend. I will probably drink that and then some....

Unfortunately I don't know if my Rye beer is going to make it. I cracked one of those open sure as shit it still has the solventy/acetonish smell to it. Oddly enough..it seemed very drinkable thoygh (if you can get past the smell of nail polish remover). I am going to give it a little more time in the bottle..but I have read that usually not much you can do for it. I am glad at least 8 of my gallons (out of 16) seemed to turn out good.

Last edited by a moderator:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
transferred my IIPA to the secondary last night, had it in the primary for 2 weeks, think i'm gonna do 2 weeks in the secondary, will be dry hopping this weekend

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have tried a couple of the IIPA's, they are really good, but definitely missing the deep bitterness I wanted them to have when my brewing program said it would be a 6.5% IPA. Still, at 8.3% it is very drinkable and the alcohol is hidden well.