• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's brewing??

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually the recipe that i am looking at says to put the 4lbs of kiwi in the brewpot for the last 10 minutes of the boil, then put them in the primary...typically when i have done fruit beers and what not i have added it to the secondary....at this point i'm undecided.

unfortunately for the IPA, i'm not exactly sure...this was a case where a kit caught my eye and i went for it, i really am trying to get away from the kits, but some of them just sound so damn good....its got .5oz Pacific Jade...then 3.5oz of the "Kiwi Express Hop Blend", and dry hop with 4oz of the blend....doesnt tell me what is in the blend. Guess they dont want people replicating it without buying the kit
Kiwi Express All-Grain Kit : Northern Brewer

You brew this yet 757?? If so, how did it turn out??

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
been trying to find time and a decent day outside, i've been slacking. Been real busy with stuff around the house lately and havent had the hours available to devote to an AG all day thing. the plan is Sunday (or saturday if the game gets ugly).

Getting ready to keg up the kiwi wit, crossing my fingers that i sanitized everything enough this time and dont have to dump another batch

edit....maybe i'll take a sick day to brew before sunday:D

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
brewed yesterday, had a stuck sparge :( but got through it, and other than that, went without a hitch. Woke up to some nice bubbling in the primary:D

oh btw, the hops for this one was

.5oz Pacific Jade at 60 min (actually said to put it in right after transferring to the boil pot, before the boil began)

1.5oz Pacific Jade - 10; Alpha - 12-14%
1 oz Hallertau - 10; Alpha- 6.5-8.5%
1 oz Super Alpha - 10; Alpha- 10-12%

dry hop two weeks before kegging w/
2 oz Pacific Jade
1 oz Hallertau
1 oz Super Alpha

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IPA is now on tap. I called it Hopstarrunner. :D It's definitely not my best work, a little light, but it smells great and still has sufficient taste to justify keeping it around. It also has an appetizing dryness to it.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Transferred the "Kiwi Express IPA" to the secondary last night, dry hopped it with 2oz Pacific Jade, 1oz Hallertau, & 1oz Super Alpha...smells fucking delicious!

The Kiwit that I kegged up over the weekend is one of my favorite beers that I've made to date.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the IPA is fucking delicious!

had a slight problem on the night of kegging, this bad boy was dry hopped w/ 4oz of pellet hops, and i did not strain it going into the keg, so on my first pour all of that trub clogged up the "beverage out" fixture...had to take it apart and clean it out. pouring fine now, but a lot of hop particles floating around in the glass...the common drinker might not enjoy that so much....guess ill get a strainer handy and just strain it on the way from the tap to the glass, lol

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just picked up $40 worth of hops from my LHBS. 4oz. Amarillo, 4 oz. Simcoe, 2 oz. Palisades, 2oz. Warrior and an ounce of Glacier. Shooting to brew a 7-8 gallon batch of a DFH 60IPA Clone very very soon.

Looks like I am going to have some Warrior, and a couple ounces each of Amarillo AND Simcoe left over. Does anyone have any ideas on a style I could use these for, other than an American IPA or Pale Ale? I heard they are a great combination together. Found a couple interesting looking recipes using them in a Indian Brown Ale of some sort. May try that. Ideas??

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^Some sort of Holiday beer with the Simcoe and Amarillo would be cool too.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^Some sort of Holiday beer with the Simcoe and Amarillo would be cool too.

Unfortunately, those are kinda staples for IPA's and APA's. HOWEVER, you could do something crazy-out-of-LeftField, nutso with an American Wheat. And if you wanted you could even make a holiday beer with the inclusion of some cinnamon or clove.

I wasn't trying to suggest anything, but the creative juices got flowing. Really what I wanted to comment on was the hops quantity you just purchased. It took me about 6 weeks to get used to the hop volumes in a brewery. We get our hops shipped in 44 pound boxes. The dry hop bill for a 60-barrel batch of IPA is over 100 pounds.

Honestly, I don't think of anything in ounces anymore, except for kettle finings and yeast nutrient.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the IPA is fucking delicious!

had a slight problem on the night of kegging, this bad boy was dry hopped w/ 4oz of pellet hops, and i did not strain it going into the keg, so on my first pour all of that trub clogged up the "beverage out" fixture...had to take it apart and clean it out. pouring fine now, but a lot of hop particles floating around in the glass...the common drinker might not enjoy that so much....guess ill get a strainer handy and just strain it on the way from the tap to the glass, lol

I know people recommend dry hopping in the keg, but if you're going to do that, make sure you use either whole hops or plugs. They don't fall apart and particulate the way pellets do.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of equipment do I need to brew at home?
Whats the start up cost roughly?
Need alot of space?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of equipment do I need to brew at home?
Whats the start up cost roughly?
Need alot of space?

Yikes. Where do you want to start? Basic basic, basic intermediate, basic advanced, intermediate or advanced?

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to point you in the right direction, and there are a ton of options.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes. Where do you want to start? Basic basic, basic intermediate, basic advanced, intermediate or advanced?

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to point you in the right direction, and there are a ton of options.

Id like to start with just learning the basics. Learning how to brew and then obvioulsy brewing to my taste

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, those are kinda staples for IPA's and APA's. HOWEVER, you could do something crazy-out-of-LeftField, nutso with an American Wheat. And if you wanted you could even make a holiday beer with the inclusion of some cinnamon or clove.

I wasn't trying to suggest anything, but the creative juices got flowing. Really what I wanted to comment on was the hops quantity you just purchased. It took me about 6 weeks to get used to the hop volumes in a brewery. We get our hops shipped in 44 pound boxes. The dry hop bill for a 60-barrel batch of IPA is over 100 pounds.

Honestly, I don't think of anything in ounces anymore, except for kettle finings and yeast nutrient.

You need to get back to the homebrewing man! The Amarillo must be like fucking gold right now. My LHBS ordered 100 single pack ounces of the stuff and they only sent him 2-1lb bags of it. He would only let me buy 4 oz of it. I paid $2.50 an ounce for it. And its all good. Spread the wealth..

Been researching. Thinking either a Indian Red or Brown Ale..or a Strong Ale for the rest of it. A nice holiday beer with the orange/citrus and pine notes with some other special flavors does sound enticing though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird gravity readings..No worries I am sure

Just wondering if any of you that has brewed larger batches ever split the batch into two fermenting vessels..and had considerably different gravity readings between the two??

I brewed New Years Eve, and due to a new burner, the cold/windy weather, and some trying conditions getting my mash and sparge temperatures right, ended up with more volume (10g instead of 8g) and lower OG than I was shooting for. Not a huge deal I don't guess. Will just have to drink MORE tasty (IPA) beer to catch a fat buzz.

I guess what is weird is that one fermenting vessel had an OG of approx. 1.060 and the other one was 1.050. The program I use says that at 72% eff. (usually what I have gotten on the previous 2 AG batches) should be right in the middle for a 10 gallon volume..1.055. Thought it was kinda weird, rotated between the two vessels when I was siphoning, mixed the wort well, etc.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, saturday i finished off my kiwi wheat keg...time to brew! got to decide on a recipe now...

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
found a recipe in one of Papazian's books that i think i might try out...

IBU 33
COLOR 5-9
OG 1.050-1.054
FG 1.004-1.008

5 lbs Malted wheat
1 lb American Victory malt
1 lb Munich malt

Mash at 153-155 for 60 min.

1 oz German Hallertauer (75)
1 oz Czech Saaz (75)
2 lbs Wildflower honey (75)
1 tbsp Ground cayenne pepper (30)
1 tbsp Freshy crushed coriander (30)
3 inches stick cinammon (30)
0.6 oz Lime or Curry leaves (30)
1 tbsp Ground fenugreek (30)
1.5 oz Grated ginger (30)
2 cups dry unsweetened coconut (30)
2 cups dry unsweetened coconut (15)
Irish moss (15)
1.5 oz Grated ginger (flameout)

Let steep for 2-3 minutes, strain hops/spices, transfer to primary partly filled with cold water.

Wheat beer yeast or Bavarian-style wheat beer yeast.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brewed up a batch of NB California Common on Sunday. I must say the entire process went much smoother, so much better when I don't rush the process. It is currently fermenting away at 61F. Used Saflager S-23 yeast. Heard a lot of negative stuff about the yeast, but in reading the profile sheet, I am comfortable that the people that produce the yeast and sell the yeast are better judges of its characteristics than a homebrewer that used it once and got less than ideal results.

The Caribou Slobber is bottle conditioning right now, got about 2 weeks before it will be aged enough to see if it is Ruined or not. I did try one at 1 week, and it was drinkable, still green, but not toss worthy.

I think when I save up enough money I am going to do the NB Midnight Beatdown Wheaten Porter PM kit. I also have a colaboration brew to do with a friend on a Hefeweizen, but have no idea when that will be done. Need to get our schedules lined up.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northern brewer is currently running a promotion of buying their Irish red ale kit and get a free growler using the code everyirishounce if anyone is interested. Just ordered it myself to have for St PatriCk's day.